Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Life is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm going to buy and play this day 1 but please do not use me as a reliable source of advice on whether or not you should get this game because I look at anything SWERY does with rose colored glasses

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
framerate issues aside this game owns. It's a real rollercoaster of emotions from seeing Zack absolutely broken after the Greenvale case to 20 minutes later laughing at York just babbling on about Cat People to a man who is simultaneously the chef, concierge, and bellboy for an entire hotel

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a green pepper?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Looking for thyme now if anyone knows where that might be. Also I figured out the trick behind the water pressure sidequest. David stays as a certain role depending on the time of day. At night he'll be on the 2nd floor as the bellboy, daytime I think he'll be in the lobby, and in the morning he'll be the chef

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I will get this final split if it's the last thing I do dammit. I found a youtube video of a guy doing it successfully and have been trying to emulate his strategy but it seems to be a one in a million shot

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
please swery.. please..... I just want this last split

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've invested too much of my life into this to just give up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I DID IT

and you were lying the reward was totally worth it! seeing Mrs. Carpenter go "FUUUUUCK"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I love the introduction to the sidequest guy in the graveyward

SEARCHING....SEARCHING... BEEP BOOP
Zack, this man is the perfect representation of what it means to be human!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've had the game crash twice now while trying to save and it's very concerning. I've saved early and often in anticipation of this but it's still disheartening to lose progress like that

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Mods No Masters posted:

Anecdotal, but I definitely recommend closing/fully restarting the game occasionally to avoid the hard crashes since it is definitely leaking memory like a fiend. I only had one hard crash before I started doing that, but zero afterwards

Weirdly enough for me the crashes didnt start happening until after I started fully shutting the game down after a play session

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have never, not once in my life ever heard anyone refer to him as "Schwarzenegger"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Does anyone know the conditions to learn the final skateboard trick? York says we need to become a villain but I've been ramming this skateboard into pedestrians and parked cars all day now and shes still not saying anything different

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh, drat. well that was a misleading clue

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat the game, final thoughts: Story is great, characters for the most part are fun, and gameplay is a step down in a lot of ways. Here's some random thoughts:

It's nice seeing Zack get a happy ending after presumably spending the years after the Greenvale case being miserable and dying, not sure how I feel about the implication that Zack and Patricia are going to hook up later on.

I still have no clue what Helena's (and by extension Kaysen's) plan was, and how a morbidly obese woman permanently high on drugs and a goofy wannabe-film director turned sheriff were going to become the "Kings of the South"

York saying "goodbye" feels really weird when the two can just IM each other now

Simon and Aaliyah's dynamic was great, just wish they had done a little more in the plot. I guess they're saving Aaliyah awakening to the Otherworld for a potential Deadly Premonition 3?

Houngan is cool, but I have no clue what his deal is and that's probably ok

Gameplay-wise it's a mess. So many pointless fetch quests with no hints where to go, wayyyyy too many "do x 100 times" achievements, so many bugs, and the game straight up lies to you when some businesses are open or closed. I hate having to scour the game world for random objects to craft it into poo poo, idk why they just wouldn't let you buy them or give them as side quest rewards like in the first game.

Did anyone find out that the knife is used for? I got it as a reward from Xavier's sidequest and it says it can be used to open things, but I have no idea what, and I tried to do as much side content as I could, aside from the Pastor's sidequest because I never got poisoned the whole game.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 20, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

snoremac posted:

I know (after looking it up), but how you'd be clued off to check there is beyond me. But yeah I'm just glad it's over as well as the stupid shower quest so I could get rid of those dang flies.

you can also just chew a bunch of gum to make the flies go away

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sleeveless posted:

Given that the first game showed that red seeds have to be grown inside a person to become a full red tree I assumed that Candy was being used as some sort of incubator for red trees and the constant exposure to Saint Rouge and her growth were side effects of that. Presumably if she hadn't been burned and drowned then she would have been used to bring forth a bunch of new trees to allow Kaysen to infect more of the country and create more points of crossover from the otherworld.

Especially since exploring Zach's apartment finds a dead rat with a plant growing out of its stomach that reflects his own experiments in trying to understand the red trees. When a rat eats a red seed it dies and a small plant grows from it but it never grows beyond a sprout, but a human has enough life force sustain an actual tree.

that makes a lot of sense, I guess I was thinking too literally when Kaysen said he wanted to use them to create a "Red Kingdom" in the South

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nuebot posted:

I thought my game did this, but it turns out it didn't. It just decided to take more than five minutes to load the next cutscene.

anecdotal but going to the home screen and right back to the game fixed this both times it happened for me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gort posted:

Mine's red. Maybe it's random?

I hear the color of York's skateboard is determined by your joycon's color, maybe the same goes for your gun?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Der Shovel posted:

Holy christ, how the hell did anyone think "hey let's have the player get attacked by instantly respawning enemies literally all through the night" was a good idea?

I'm trying to do a quest that requires me to be at a place at sunrise, and I've been basically shooting these red motherfuckers at 5 FPS for the past 20 minutes or so, and I slept until 3:30 AM.

E: Great I made it to morning, it auto-triggered a stone throwing minigame and afterwards my UI disappeared. I can't see the mini map, quest indicators or anything else anymore.

the game told you to be there at 6-8 why did you only sleep until 3:30 am

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Der Shovel posted:

But do you really think that's the central point here instead of "oh yeah the nights are filled with endlessly respawning monsters you fight at 5 FPS"?

I mean, that's exactly how it worked in the first game? And I do think it's kinda cool that an area that's normally completely safe during the day transforms into a nightmarish hellworld after dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lovely crafting loot and York relating the resolution of every sidequest to some movie he's seen