Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stormangel posted:

That has lesbian/Yuri subtext

You can practically hear the OOOOOHOHOHOHOHO to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:aaa: how the hell did I miss that one

Ok smart guy what about Tamyrlin then

The Merlin -> Tha Merlin -> T'a Merlin -> tamyrlin

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Anias posted:

The dark one was ok with a world without him in it - one of rand's flailing attempts to fight back was "a world without you" and the dark one was like "ok, done, sign me the gently caress up". Literally any option other than "Locked up inside the wheel for another few thousand cycles" sounds great to TDO.

It seems clear that the only way the dark one could get out of the endless cycle is if he could convince The Dragon, acting on behalf of The Pattern, to let him go. Meanwhile, as we have long since established, the Dragon is sort of an rear end in a top hat and keeps jamming him back into his eternal hamster wheel.

Not only that, the idea was scrapped immediately because theodicy. literally "a world where people can only choose good" = "a world where people can only choose evil". I think the specific scene is something like Rand sees Elayne not being a huge rear end in a top hat and is like "That's not Elayne at all!" and backs the gently caress away because that's clearly evil.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

He sees that she has the same darkness behind her eyes as the people who get forcibly turned to the Shadow have iirc, and he freaks the gently caress out.

that "darkness" = lack of free will.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Brolander posted:

I was not disappointed or surprised at how the ending was handled, to me all that was completely in line with everything else since the word Go. Opposing forces creating balance, I mean the dude used the drat Yin/Yang, for pete's sake. The duality of man, sir!

Yeah, the ending was sent western union. It was never going to be satisfying to me, but the rest of it justified reading. For me, it was way more about the journey than the obvious and mediocre destination.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

started the first book again and getting all nostalgic for when I read it was a kid, getting that same sense of wonder and adventure right now :kiddo:.

I like how it eases you in to the universe by superficially aping LOTR. Only part that kind of bugs me, is that early on it very strongly reads like a DND campaign that got transcribed and rewritten

It was what, 1991-2? Lot of surprisingly popular D&D novels around then, wouldn't be surprised at all if that was intentional.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

to his credit, there absolutely are some weirdos who will do that. not a lot, but some.

I received the sixth book as a gift, and I was too poor to buy the rest, and to far from the library to even see if they had them.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Then again, that exact phenomenon is called out very loudly.

"Who was the greatest swordsman of all time?"

That was teaching a bunch of kids about why you don't ignore the weapon triangle,which obviously doesn't affect sword vs sword.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

The thoroughbred of sin!?

The mare of misdeeds!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Rand's madness from Saidin WAS "Lews Therin" appearing to be a totally separate person in Rand's head, instead of simply being a part of rand himself (Because the two are the same people/same soul). And yeah if he hadn't re-integrated those memories and accepted that it was him all along then he'd have lost, bigtime.

This is just like my persona games!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Saw an interesting thing today while I was looking up the forsaken:

Show Nynaeve

Book Semirhage

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

I'm in!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, Mesaana doesn't really DO anything.

This still makes her one of the most effective of the forsaken, and also one of the smartest. Never interfere with your enemies when they're in the process of destroying themselves. She interferes only as much as needed to keep the ball rolling.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Honestly that would probably help his arc and inability to kill her later.

It's also a good past-happens-again thing, since losing Lews Therin was one of the things that sent her over the edge originally.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

I read it as saying that destroying the DO would in fact remove people's ability to be evil. Everyone would be "good" because they have no other choice. It's like the solution that some theologians have come up with to reconcile God being omnibenevolent with people still doing evil--remove free will and you devalue the good that people do.

The dark one is a shadow cast by the existence of free will. It's all for the world of no evil because that means it wins.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I’ve heard some weeb stories about Shibuya but not the Krang giants

Probably haradashi or one of any number of surprisingly cool oni and/or headless men (acephaloi?) it's a pretty common myth apparently.

Haradashi are just this big human bodies sometimes with a fake head but a friendly face on the belly that visit lonely people to keep them company and like to make people laugh.

They're like a much less creepy flasher, they'll walk up, you think they're just a normal person, then they rip their clothes open and BIG LAUGHING FACE ON THE GUT and then they do a dance and run away.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 22, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Data Graham posted:

People who think Rand is some kind of A=A superhero and it is a story about a nobody growing up to be elected both President and Pope, and about how awesome he is

He wants to get the arm tattoos

Did they confuse this with sword of truth? The goodkind thread is way over there.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spek posted:

It's also entirely possible the Dark One permitted Rand to use the True Power. Hoped it would contribute to his corruption.

The dark one doesn't have a choice about it, because the dark one is an illusion. Rand must be able to access the true power because otherwise he can't make the choice. The dark one cannot unmake itself, and that is its desired outcome, a world where it does not exist because free will does not exist.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You're aware that she was betrayed by her own God, right? You can hardly blame her for getting dusted when The Dark One used her as a sacrifice. That was the final play to open Rand to the True Power.

She was set up to fail, and that was the entire point.

Semirhage succeeded spectacularly at precisely what she was supposed to do, and in the eyes of her boss was a complete success.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I think the most common theory is that even if you did that and broke the pattern, it would only be THIS pattern. It would all still come back later. His belief is that the ONLY way to permanently break the pattern is for the dragon to do it.

Fixed. If the dark one could do it, killing the dragon is an option.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zore posted:

The portal stone worlds are also echoes of the 'real' world, not fully realized and separate things in and of themselves. They're spinning out possibilities that could have (but didn't) happen. And while Rand making those choices in the 'real' world would let the Dark One free it doesn't really count in all the echo worlds I guess.

The portal stone worlds are fanfics that started and were abandoned, unfinished.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

With the naming him as Ishamael already, I think they're really just remedying one of the artifacts of Jordan going from what was clearly going to be 3 books to a whole lot more, and not trying to draw it out. I'm down for that. Absolutely loving fantastic costumes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I like pretty much all of the things mentioned, I'm not really sure what's wrong with em.

Same, give us more old women being horny. Fantasy Golden Girls.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Could have sworn that she was a banker. talk about a villain.

Worse. She was middle management, Master of Business Aes Sedai.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

KilGrey posted:

I’m trying to remember a depressing as gently caress series I read when I was young…gay protagonist with a magic horse? Another of her series was weird and had Griffins and poo poo. I just remember them being very dark and sad.

You are remembering the last herald mage trilogy. It is, in fact, pretty depressing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CainFortea posted:

If TDO is a reflection of free will, then TDO would cease to exist in the world where he wins cause there is no will of any kind. When faced with the absolutely void of nothingness that TDO offers as an option to Rand where neither of them win, TDO is saying this is acceptable to him.

This is, in fact, the entire point of it. TDO doesn't _want_ to exist, TDO is hate, and thus hates even itself. For it, it no longer existing is a win.

edit: I maintain that TDO is not, in fact, actually sentient, it just appears to be in the same way a shadow appears to act on its own if you don't know it's a shadow being cast by something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Grundulum posted:

How do you explain so many characters knuckling their foreheads?

They're all knuckleheads, duh.