Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's pretty much the thing that sets up the first real mat segment, he wakes up after that and there's the whole stretch with mat beating the poo poo out of the biggest idiot in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My reread stalled out on TPOD as all my rereads do :sigh:

I agree Fain's worthless after the halfway mark but at the same time show viewers should have to suffer through the Mat fakeout like I did :unsmigghh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

fain and masema could both be removed from the show and the main plot wouldn't be affected

You'd need a reason for Perrin to gently caress off from Rand for the back half of the series

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Torrannor posted:

By the way, did we every learn why Moiraine came to Emond's Field in the first place? Why she thought there were possible Dragon Reborn candidates there?

Explaining this was gonna be the third of RJ's planned prequels

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Breen's Spring will be where Horny Else lives

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm surprised it looks like they've cut Whitebridge. That seemed like a gimme location.

I guess it's a fairly pricey setpiece that wouldn't see enough use to justify the cost of making it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I suspect the shows won't even dive into the ta'veren thing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mat's whole power is being ta-veren. He's not strong or have wolf stuff like Perrin, or have channeling like Rand. Mat's just a hyper-ta'veren who causes all probability to warp around him to his whims.

Yeah you can just say he's lucky though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vavrek posted:

Probably don't have the budget to get Elba for a cameo role

Just cast him as Gareth Bryne

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archive right now and I'm really enjoying it. It'making me think of going back to Wheel of Time, which I started in high school (over a decade ago) and quit after the first book. Not because I didn't like it, but I just didn't feel compelled to continue. I'm interested especially in the Sanderson finale of WoT, but I'm also interested in checking this prodigious series off my list since it's the only one if its stature that I haven't read. Two questions before I get into it:

1. Do I have to re-read The Eye of the World? I've already read it (albeit very long ago) and if I could find a detailed summary I'd feel fine about just reading that as a refresher.
2. Do the things that I remember as shortcomings (one-dimensional characters, especially female characters, and a feeling that it was all a bit too derivative of Lord of the Rings) recede as the series progresses? The drat thing is 14 books or whatever, so I assume Jordan probably developed as a writer. Can I look forward to certain improvements in his storytelling?

The writing is solid through book 6 then RJ gets lost up his own rear end on describing specific textures of silk and poo poo and it becomes a bit of a chore until Sanderson takes over. And RJ never gets good at writing women

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How are u posted:

This is a very derivative exaggeration. Jordan's books are fantastic all the way through, and Sanderson does a fairly ok job of wrapping them up.

PoD and CoT are just plain bad, my guy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's cool that we can recognise a wide range of opinions on this :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jose Valasquez posted:

Crossroads of Twilight would make a really solid cliffhanger

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also shows that drop all at once pass out of the cultural consciousness so fast that they become way more forgettable. Week-by-week is the way to go if they want WoT to be huge

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah Nynaeve gets to be a special girl too

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jng2058 posted:

It's Eamon Valda, played by Abdul Salis.

Can't believe we're going to have to deal with that fuckhead for an extra 5 books worth of story :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

eke out posted:

woah there's moiraine and siuan in a bedroom in underclothes (presumably in some new spring flashback), maybe we're actually getting them canonically gay from the start

Yes yes yes bestill my gay heart

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*gay dude adapts story to promote more female voices and racial diversity*

"Man I bet he screws up the lesbians"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brolander posted:

it is entirely okay to say you don't like someone or something in a funny, perhaps hyperbolic way on a comedy forum

Yeah but it helps to be funny

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I swear we just had this conversation

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Perrin and Mat and Verin meet a random dude called Urien on the way to Cairhien then we don't see them again until all the main Aiel show up in book 3

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So if they're gaying up Moiraine/Siuan and Elayne/Avi then which men are they turning homo to keep things balanced? :thunkher:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hopefully, Mat is at least bi.

Mat is pansexual fight me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

no you're right, I'm old and still working on updating my language, that's on me

It's cool, the difference between bi and pan is pretty nuanced :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jng2058 posted:

And that right there is a good way to solve Mat in Ebou Dar. Make it so it's not that creepy relationship with Tylin but that Mat and Beslan get into a relationship that keeps Mat in Ebou Dar for so long.

The Mat/Tylin dynamic really should stay in because media never highlights female-on-male rape

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rand's egg mirrors the cage we've seen Logain in so its hinting they're the same, that's what I see anyway :shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really dig Rafe's suggested implication that every ep's gonna have a prologue style cold open that's unconnected to the main episode but pulls back to reveal more of the world/story

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah that sounds a lot like Mat to me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

i say swears online posted:

edit on IMDB, Min has 3 episode credits this season and Thom has 1, lol. was Min even in the first book??

IMDB episode counts can't be trusted, especially before a show actually airs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just realised we don't have anyone announced as Ishamael yet. I really hope they're holding back on a big name to surprise us with

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Invalid Validation posted:

Still gonna have to be a big part considering only men have the ~TAINT~.

Yeah the possibility of a sane female Dragon makes everyone's fear at the idea of the Dragon Reborn not really play the same way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think the Nynaeve/Moiraine dynamic is very complex, boiling it down to just 'she has Lan' is reductive. Yes that's a part of it but it's also emblematic of Nynaeve's feelings towards channellers, the clear social class divides of villager vs noblewoman and Nynaeve's connection to the Two Rivers folk. Egwene's being dumb as hell though but y'know, she is 16 :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

those two have zero chemistry and not a single thing written has hinted that Nynaeve wanting to settle with Lan

:cripes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

If you feel so strongly about this point, I'm open to examples of where this is so super apparent that I'm some kind of oblivious moron for missing. Maybe I did miss it but nothing comes to mind other than Lan being Lan. It's cool that if I were to reread this book after going through the whole thing and somehow remembering all of it that I'd pick up on these things but as a first time through it is sudden and not good.

Off the top of my head:

- In Baerlon when Lan's impressed Nynaeve tracked him and Nynaeve gets all flustered about it

- Lan being very tender with her after Shadar Logoth

- Their whole dynamic during the Perrin/Egwene rescue where Lan almost disobeys Moiraine to save her

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think they're my favorite in the whole series aside from Rand and Min.

Berelain/Galad ftw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prairie Bus posted:

The spoiler relationship really isn’t. Thom has a POV with an interaction with Moiraine in the Stone of Tear and there’s no evidence of any affection. If anything, he’s got a mild contempt. He doesn’t interact with her again until her return, where they’re both madly in love.

Bollocks

Thom's very impressed by her both for her looks and her political savvy and he's hinting at his attraction from as early as book 2 then after she dies he's constantly moping over her letter. On Moiraine's side she's very warm towards him in Tear and then obviously finds out she'll hook up with him in Rhuidean and hints at it after. Again they're super closed off people so they don't make their affections too explicit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prairie Bus posted:

Being impressed ain’t love.

He literally keeps going on about her being a fine woman and very pretty

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

I guess maybe the people in this universe marry the first person they date

Rand and Egwene assume they're gonna be shacked up for life just because they're the first people they crush on

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It's a very common sexist trope from male writers in the 20th century and also today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lotta people who don't understand the basics of human attraction itt