Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The first time I read TEotW I was a dumb teen that was actually surprised Rand was the Dragon and that Ba'alzamon was a forsaken and not the Dark One. I wonder if they're going to try to preserve that for the audience in the show. The second reveal might be a reason to skip the prologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

CainsDescendant posted:

They posted a literal reaction video of when Ali first heard Rand and Aviendha's igloo adventure and it was wonderful

The most faithful way for the show to adapt that part, if it gets that far, would be a pan to a fire with a sax solo.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm 99% sure I learned the word "taint" from an episode of Conan O'Brien 20-25 years ago. I understand why the show will avoid it but am still disappointed.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I think a problem with the "slog books" is they kind of stop being "books" and are instead just "more chapters". The first 5 or 6 at least work as coherent chunks of story mostly with beginnings, middles, and ends for all the characters, but later on everything gets smeared out.

Anyway, 16 more days until we can talk about something else.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I feel like Amazon's advertising is bigger than the other streaming services. I remember when they wrapped entire NYC subway trains in ads for The Man in the High Castle. That imagery made some people mad!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

After the first episode my review was "not bad" and after the third I'll up it to "pretty good"!

I like Nynaeve's and Mat's actors a lot. Perrin worries me a bit, he kind of stands around looking like he doesn't know what to do with his arms. Which, fair enough, might be true to the book character.

Rosamund Pike is good but she gives off strong "I am a Professional British Actor being paid well to do my job" vibes. Which is fine, that's how we got Gandalf and Captain Picard.

The changes to Mat's and Perrin's backstories feel like TV producer notes saying these characters need more motivation.

Thom is much more cool and hot than I imagined him.

I think the shadowspawn mostly rule, though they look better at night than in broad daylight.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

There's interesting stuff in that AMA but boy reddit comments are all either "thank you for creating the greatest work of televised fiction of all time" or "why have you changed one thing from the books you dried up shart of a man?".

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I always pictured Thom with a long droopy mustache that he'd pinch between his big old-man knuckles and, like, wiggle around. As a fidgeter, if I had a long mustache I'm sure I'd do the same thing.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Grey and white always seemed like the afterthought ajahs. Real hufflepuff energy.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Gabriel Byrne for Gareth Bryne.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Nynaeve’s actress is really great.

I like Loial and want to see more of him, Though I agree it feels like some stuff got cut around the Rand and Mat story.

The whitecloaks suck and those scenes didn’t seem done very well. Maybe I could have just done without a torture scene.

There are a lot of very smart adaptation choices going on to slowly build out the world, though scene to scene it doesn’t always hit for me.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Min's also the most prominent non-channeling woman character, right?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I like WoT but I've always found the "big rectangle" map to be a little lazy. You can use the breaking to hand-wave it, I guess.

Still used to have fun looking at the map and guessing which country the next book would go to.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I definitely enjoy this show more with it being many years since I read the books, so I'm not flipping out over changed details. And it seems like the showrunners do really love these books and are being very deliberate about how they do things.

Mat staying behind might be an actor thing, but honestly it kind of makes him look the most sane. Just got evil dagger curse out of me, would rather not follow you into the evil portal. Makes more sense than anyone else staying behind.

Episode was good, but I think the hype for it was mostly from people excited by the representation and/or shippers.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I gotta assume the show will drop the thing where "Selene" is hot and young, but "Lanfear" is an even hotter MILF, which was one of RJ's hornier things coming through. I think he used the word "ripen" in there somewhere.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

What was the thing in the Sanderson books about how the Forsaken aren't the most dangerous or powerful but just the most selfish egotistical jerks? Like there were more effective AoL dark folks who were happy to quietly tear down civilization without making it all about them.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

crepeface posted:

nothing beats the guy who's not quite as tall as LTT. just the dumbest parody of short man syndrome

Demandred is the "I feel bad for you/I don't think about you at all" meme in a character. If they cast him, they need to find a guy who looks like a store-brand Rand.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I enjoyed that episode quite a bit.

A lot of business to write Mat out, but it mostly worked. I get the complaints about the love triangle/CW stuff, though I'm still engaged here. I like the big picture of this show but feel like it's not as strong as it could be on a scene-by-scene basis.

Min is not the character I had in my head but she's good.

I'm hoping they lean into Rand getting weird and paranoid pretty quickly after this season because otherwise he's too boring, even if that was deliberate.

Kind of weird that Loial just disappeared when they got to Fal Dara. More and more people are saying there should be more Loial.

People trying tactic realism the cold open must hate fun.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

"I waited an hour for you to apologize" is 1000% a woman written by Robert Jordan.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Ishamael is great. I agree he tricked Rand into breaking one of the Dark One's seals. They're leaning into the third age Aes Sedai not really knowing anything about how that all works.

Feels like the showrunners thought the AoL cold open would be really neat to see, but I don't know what it accomplished beyond introducing Lews Therin's actor. The vibe was also not that this society had been at war with Satan for a couple of centuries, but I guess they wanted to communicate the former magic sci-fi world to the audience.

Fain and two Fades stabbing Loial and Uno but leaving them alive (he'd better have!) is weird. Definitely feels like Mat was supposed to be in that scene.

The battle was... fine, it's neat that TV can do stuff like that these days but it wasn't actually all that interesting. But I'm guessing that's where a lot of money went.

It also feels like a lot of resources went into the Seanchan which are just a teaser for next season.

Was that oddly-edited shot of Mat back in Tar Valon? It looked like Shadar Logoth to me.

It's weird watching this at the same time as the Witcher this week. WoT is condensing and rearranging a massive amount of source material, while Witcher needs to pad out some fairly slight and meandering books with a lot of extra fluff.

I give the season a B+, I'm curious enough to keep me watching but if I wasn't a reader I probably wouldn't stick with it. I guess the most optimistic thing I can say is that they really seem to be playing the long game here.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

They gave the Seanchan slaver culture American accents. Both a valid interpretation of the book, and sure to piss some terrible people off!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

A bunch of them are just final bosses for individual books, not surprised they'd get cut.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

There's no way Rosamund Pike got a producer credit and made a multi-season commitment moving her family to Prague or wherever to not have magical CGI powers on TV for very long.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I think this thread is the only place online for "very interested in this show as an adaptation, not upset about all the changes, but wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else".

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm not sure anyone has ever solved the problem of needing to write filler to keep an actor around when the character drops out of the source material, which is what's going on with Moiraine.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The best part about reading The Eye of the World when you're 14 years old and process everything completely at the surface level is you can be just as surprised as Rand was that he's the Dragon Reborn. I'm serious, it was very thrilling at the time! Add in a religious upbringing and you can also relate to all his puritanical sex hang-ups!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I suddenly remember the reason I made my AOL password lanfear for a while in high school.

Very good episode dinged only by no Mat and Min. I don't miss Lan, though.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

This show cares about warders a lot more than I do.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Did TV Rand ever get Good at Swords?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Very happy to get Moirane and Lan back in the plot.

Nice parallel cutting from Siuan talking about using Rand as a weapon to the Damane stuff.

Everything with the Forsaken is gold. They're evil and scheming, but they're also so bored and above it all. It must be fun to play 3000 year old Satanist wizards.

Anyway I actually enjoy this show now, feeling hype for the finale.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Last week they talked about the Dragon being "bannered in the sky" or something, so I don't think it will be Rand vs. Ishy up there (as much as I wish it would be like that rad Legion clip). Maybe a big magical dragon flying around that everyone sees? Which could the sign for the Aiel that they found their car'a'carn.

Only other thing I'm confident about for tonight is Mat's tootin' that horn and Uno's coming back. 50/50 on Egwene killing Renna when she gets rescued. Leaving her alive could be a narrative hook for later seasons.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Okay heroes of the horn really got to me. :krad: And I think this was the most fun Mat has been in the whole show.

Teen me really liked the Rand vs. Turak swordfight in the book for the "turns out you're actually good at sword stuff" power fantasy so I'm sad to lose it, but the episode didn't really need it.

Egwene and Renna played out pretty naturally. Actors good.

Kind of wish Nynaeve could do something.

Camera lingered on Hopper for way too long, feels manipulative.

Moiraine and Lan remain the worst part of the season, it pains me to say, but at least Lan got to be badass for once.

Called it on the dragon flying around.

Any and all plot holes and coincidences are because of ta'veren.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

rafikki posted:

My wife literally said “are they going to fall in love” right before they did the dreamy shot

Neither one has seen another Hot Ginger before, they thought they were the only ones.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

My attention still wandered whenever Lan was onscreen most of the season, but it occurs to me that Lan being not badass only to get his mojo back with the warder bond and wreck all those Seanchan dudes (who yes shouldn't have been there, it made no sense) was probably deliberate.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

It's funny to me that Rand, a character who in the book thought horniness meant he needed more farmwork or combat training, has already slept with two women who aren't in the weird harem on the TV show.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I figure Darkfriend socials in the in-between times when nothing major is happening are like that Always Sunny episode where Frank brings Denis to an orgy but it's all naked old people more interested in the buffet.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

A mysterious evil magic dagger can do different things to different people in different circumstances, it's fine.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I saw the movie where she was Eleanor Roosevelt against Bill Murray playing FDR. It wasn't very good.

Anyway it's cool how all these actresses of a certain age get a bunch of Bezos money through this show.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

pik_d posted:

What's the science on where the mass comes from when you transform into something heavier than your regular self? Do you just have a large goo supply? Is there an upper bound to what you can turn into?
Humans have been imagining "what if big thing was small or small thing was big" since the dawn of time and fiction should politely tell conservation of mass to go gently caress itself. Have a footnote saying wizard or pocket dimension and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

"It's easier for a woman not to channel than a man. We have to do it, it's part of our lifestyle."