Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I always figured the Stone was like this, maybe more smoothly shaped - basically the Superdome but made out of rock. I guess it could've been craggier to more closely resemble a mountain but I'm struggling to recall any descriptions of it that suggested the exterior was that rough.

I always pictured the Stone as looking like the Black Fortress in Krull, except not black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Honestly, WoT doesn't go far enough in the other direction. Especially the early books have "slow civilizational decline" as a big theme. We do see abandoned cities (Shadar Logoth) and associated ruins, but where are the cities that have shrunk beyond the city walls, so to speak. Where only a half of the interior is lived in? Or where outer walls have fallen into ruin?

Empires and nations almost never fall through depopulation; the people remain, the rulers just don't control them any more. Remember that at one point someone says there was a time when you could walk from the Spine to the sea and always be inside a kingdom, but now the nations are all drawing inwards and holding less territory with each generation. This decay inevitably begins at the edges, which are furthest away from capital control. The cities that remain inside the shrunken nation remain full because that's where the people from the now abandoned border cities go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

Historically you do see situations like Rome post collapse where there's 50,000 people living in a city which once hosted a million. Everyone had to spread out because the infrastructure collapsed and couldn't support the same population density. There's not really that same post apocalyptic collapse happening in contemporary WoT, though, it's more of a steady decline.

That's no different from the decline that I described, really. Everything moves away from the weak places more than it moves towards the strong. The capital remains strongest for longest, but when even it becomes weak all the people who flee now must flee outwards because there's nowhere inwards left to go. Rome was squeezed together, and when the bonds split everything flew apart again. If the decline had continued in Randland the same thing would have happened; it's just that at the time of the story people could still flee inwards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

I've never more than glanced at the city maps.
They just weren't that important to what was going on.

That did mean I missed the Tar Valon joke for too long.

I still don't know what you're talking about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It's more of a vulva :eng101:

Though it's hard to say whether that's intentional, accidental, subconcious, or reader rorscharch

I think it's related to the famous poem:

(TTTO "If You're Happy And You Know It")

If it's longer than it's wide, then it's a dick!
If it's longer than it's wide, then it's a dick!
If it's shorter than it's wide
Simply turn it on its side
Now it's longer than it's wide, and it's a dick!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

I could see them shifting Owyn to be closer to the main timeline. i.e he stilling and death become the impetus for Thom to go to the Two Rivers.

How does that work? Thom doesn't have any way to know that there's another male channeller in the Two Rivers. He wouldn't even have a reason to follow Moiraine because she's Aes Sedai - she's obviously not Red Ajah.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think as in Thom is like gently caress THIS I'M OUT and bails out to escape to some bumfuck place in the middle of nowhere

Which is implied is what happens in the books, just not all at once.

No, it does. Thom and Morgase fought over her connection with the Tower and specifically with Elaida because Owyn was gentled without first being taken to Tar Valon. When her response was "who the gently caress do you think you are?" he decided that life on the road had a distinct appeal when compared to not living in the palace.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

There's a scene in....gods, I forget which book, it's just after Rand takes possession of the Stone of Tear. There's this big thing in the throne room or audience chamber or whatever it is you have in the Stone, and Rand idly channels for some reason, and one of the noblewomen is so horrified that she up and vomits, right there, because there's a male channeler and as everyone knows, male channelers are insane and dangerous.

It would be book 4. That's Tear, though, where they're almost as channelophobic as the Seanchan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't matter at all that it's tear. He straight up drives a woman away by even mentioning he might channel near her in Cairhien, for example.

Wasn’t that when he was pretending to be touched by the madness to get rid of one of the girls Colavaere sent to seduce him?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's well established in the setting that wounds caused by shadow taint can't really be healed, and this just kinda flies in the face of it and is never really addressed again.

The way it's described is very similar to Mat's link with the Shadar Logoth dagger. In the case of the Asha'man healed from madness, Nynaeve's delving saw that the visions of Fades were caused by dark thorns of the Taint sticking to his mind rather than direct damage to his brain. She was able to heal him by picking those thorns out. It was the same for the other Asha'man she healed and also for Rand, but in Rand's case the thorns were coated in light that protected him from the madness.

It's also worth noting that Nynaeve didn't heal the madness until after the Cleansing, and while severed men die of melancholy their madness doesn't appear to progress once they can't channel any more. It's very possible that prior to the Cleansing it wasn't possible to heal a man who could still touch saidin because you're only fixing the symptoms, not the disease.

E: I almost forgot - this is entirely consistent with Ishamael's healing of Lews Therin in the prologue of book 1, which he says would only last a short time.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 16, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

Gateways always confuse me. Is it always the same weave and basically their intent (thoughts) determine where it opens up to, or, as I remember reading once, there was mention of “slightly modifying the weave” for it to open in a slightly different place. One of those things maybe I shouldn’t think too hard about?

It's always the same basic weave, but your intent on destination shapes the flows automatically. If you know what you're doing then you can make micro-adjustments to positioning. Generally speaking, though, you'd learn to make a gateway to one very specific location to avoid any unfortunate incidents.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Dumbledore's actor changed between films, and it never really bothered me. I want this show to be good, and I won't be discouraged by a recast, even if it's one of the core characters.

Loretta Swit played Christine Cagney in the pilot of Cagney and Lacey, but when M*A*S*H was extended for season 10 she had to drop out of a series commitment. Swit was replaced by Meg Foster, who played the role in the first half of C&L season 1 before being replaced by Sharon Gless for the remainder of the show's six year run. It's Sharon Gless who is remembered for playing Cagney.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

she's filed under the category of being too inept at it to really get up to anything bad but at the very least she'll probably live a good while

She's somewhere between Morgase and Sorilea, but that covers a lot of ground as far as age is concerned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Min is also the only one of the three with ONLY a "gotta support her man" arc from 6 on and that's not a good thing for representation.

Min's also the only person who knows to any great extent exactly what she needs to do. Considering what happened to Siuan Sanche and Gareth Bryne, I have difficulty arguing that Min should be more independent and not bow to destiny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I will not stand for these whitecloak lies

:mods:

New image from the Wheel of Time set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

eke out posted:

that right there is why HA is a mod, you have to respect it

I first heard the joke on the Jordan Usenet group over 15 years ago, back when the "Bela is the Creator" jokes started. It's an oldie but a goodie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SerSpook posted:

ishy just likes to be an honest bargainer, really sell what serving the shadow is all about

it's frankly baffling that so many aes sedai joined up with the black ajah, one can only assume he had other recruiters that were not so concerned with honesty back during the trolloc wars

Ishamael at that point literally believes himself to be the Dark One. He's not playing with a full deck.

As for the Aes Sedai, they love to engage in political ladder climbing. And as we see from the POV of Darkfriends, until the Dark One actually began to stir it was very unlikely that a Darkfriend would ever be called on to do anything. It was basically a social club where the price of admission was doing something evil, and in return you'd get access to "the right people". That's why Sheriam joins the Black, for example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

Definitely not how I pronounce Mandragoran

The glossary in the books has it as man-DRAG-or-an, which is exactly how he pronounces it.

It's bugging me that Perrin is taller than Rand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Apparently the Aes Sedai rings are all set with a stone matching their ajah color. Which makes me wonder how the wonder girls will pull off the "posing as Aes Sedai" trick, since accepted probably don't have a colored stone set in their ring.

I just read the relevant section in EoTW again, and Moiraine really does give her name, and wears her Great Serpent ring openly. It's just that at least Rand doesn't recognize her as an Aes Sedai by it.

Ewin Finngar twigs to it, though, and also correctly pegs Lan as her Warder despite them obviously not fitting the common perception of what an Aes Sedai and her Warder would look like or do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

th3t00t posted:

I always kinda pronounced it like carrion. care he in

Close. It's more like "Kyrie N".

Also change the name of the thread to "The Wheel of Time: Jeffrey's Second Hand Thread Rentals".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Brolander posted:

All attend, she comes!
Look out boy, she'll chew you up

All attend, she comes!
She's an Amyrlin Seater

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Egwene was never really rich.

In the series she's also never really been white, either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vavrek posted:

For Rand, channelling aside, he's an amazing combatant. Spent the time between books one and two practicing the sword. Between books four and five practicing the spear, and hand-to-hand. I think it's Lord of Chaos that opens with him fighting five men at once, and Bashere sensibly asking "why?"

And then, shielded and under guard, Rand kills two warders in a matter of seconds.

Mazrim Taim also asks Rand why he's even bothering to insist that Asha'man train with the sword when they have the One Power. Rand shoots him down by pointing out that Taim got captured because there was a moment when he didn't have the One Power.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't that also before he cleansed the male half of the source too? So avoiding channeling outside of training would be prudent

It is, but almost all men in the modern era have a block induced by three millennia of not unreasonably ingrained fear about male channeling. The White Tower has a variety of methods to break blocks, but they take time. Taim thus uses a faster, more direct method - he makes prospective Asha'man use the Power to do absolutely everything, both to make them reliant on it and to make them comfortable using it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bio347 posted:

I'd offer that the other difference with Aes Sedai is that (for the non-Black Ajah, at least) the First Oath compels them to actually keep their oath to Rand whereas some poo poo-rear end Tear noble can swear the oath and then immediately go back to doing whatever they want once the Dragon isn't looking.

Which didn't work out too well for Colavaere Saighan.

Putting the Aes Sedai under sworn oath was still a good idea because as you point out, only a Black sister could then break their oath.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Moiraine never stood before the Hall of the Tower in the main series, so that's interesting to see. I can't imagine that they'd do flashbacks to things that happened in New Spring.

Moiraine being sent to the Two Rivers by Siuan is something that was unspoken but in retrospect obvious. I don't mind them making it overt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Really? I always thought Moiraine was just off entirely on her own, hadn't made a formal appearance in the Tower in years. Always trying to minimize her (apparent) connection with Siuan, while sending messages by pigeon regularly so she knows what's up. Like, Moiraine isn't there on an official mission that the whole Hall knows about. It's Verin and Elaida who piece together that something's going on.

Well, yes? You just described to the letter the reasoning for Elaida deposing Siuan: that Siuan had been sending out her closest friends on missions to find and control the Dragon Reborn without the knowledge of Hall or Tower.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Thats a bizzare insult. Did you aim for Gai'shan and miss? It's be wetlander anyway.

You Shaido or something? They're the only ones who think wetlanders can be gai'shain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

one thing that bugged me in the trailer was "the Last Dragon" - makes it sound like a recurring title instead of a nom de guerre, like a lost herald from a previous age or something

Not sure how I feel about it honestly

I don't think that the "last" is capitalised, but you're right that it feels like something there was more than one of. It's a significant thing in WOT that when Lews Therin Telamon took the title "Dragon", nobody knew what the gently caress he was talking about or what that firebreathing serpent thing he was using as his emblem was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I thought it was just people in the Third Age who had never heard of one, I think it was probably still a thing in the Age of Legends

Nope. We are explicitly told that nobody in the AOL knew what a Dragon was. If memory serves, Rand sees it when he enters the glass columns at Rhuidean.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's ironic that Mat gets all his cool poo poo from passing through doors to Finnland, then spends the entire series complaining that he's being treated like a door Mat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think they're cutting a lot of things that will make people say it's a rip off off Lord of the Rings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How are u posted:

This is a very derivative exaggeration. Jordan's books are fantastic all the way through, and Sanderson does a fairly ok job of wrapping them up.

Nobody who read books 8-10 as they were released would ever say that the series was "fantastic all the way through". Many fans didn't even like A Crown of Swords.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jng2058 posted:

That's ultimately the point of "Let the Lord of Chaos rule." By presenting Rand with so many problems and threats at the same time, he's not going to be able to focus on all of them. So yeah, he manages to dig the Forsaken out of Illien, but at the cost of losing track of what's happening at the Black Tower. He cleanses the Taint on Saidin, but while he's doing that, the Seanchan grab the entire western coast of his continent save Arad Doman. Etc, etc, etc.

It's made worse by the fact that he doesn't believe he can trust most of his allies so he feels the need to do everything himself, and he can't cover everything so things keep slipping away from him. And about the only allies he does trust unequivocally, Mat and Perrin, get bogged down in Ebou Dar and chasing the Shaido respectively, and aren't there to take some of the burden off him. Plus his whole "never trust an Aes Sedai" cuts him off from the rest of his natural allies in Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne.

And on top of all that, every time Rand is in the presence of another male channeler Lews Therin goes berserk. He needs to trust Taim to run it to some degree or at the first slip he'll balefire the place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

Pretty good chance the guy with the yellow cloak is Tam too, since the armor has the Golden Bees of Illian on it, and looks fancy enough for the Second Captain of the Companions. I wonder if this will be done in flashback while Rand and Tam are heading back to Emond's Field and Tam is rambling.

Does that mean the Aiel is Janduin?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, they're still going the multiple wives but they've said they want it to be more of a mutual thing between the women as well so expect more soft core pillow friends.

I had a dream last night where I was watching the show and then Moraine pulled out a flint lock pistol and shot at someone and I lost my poo poo and started yelling about how they majorly hosed up because it's a world specifically without gun powder until the end of the series and then I woke up and my pillow was missing.

Christ, even your anime body pillow dumped you. That's harsh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

making Min non-binary would have been an interesting way to have one of the main actors have a non-heterosexual relationship. Maybe they can cast faile as a dude.

Perrin is a wolfbrother, not a bearbrother.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hexel posted:

I mean he had some makeout sesh with Elayne in the Stone of Tear and then doesnt see her for a few books then they pork like1-2 times and she gets pregnant. Aviendha spends most of their relationship hating him and then they have the ice igloo sex.

Aviendha doesn't hate Rand. She hates that the Wise Ones are throwing her at him. She feels that a relationship won't be her choice, and there's still a big part of her not being willing to give up the spear.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Plus I think she had her own network.

It's text that the Tower has spies, the Ajahs each have their own networks of spies, and some individual sisters (including Moiraine) have personal contacts. The only sister to operate a network in Tar Valon itself, however, is Leane as Keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'll be pissed if we don't get Nynaeve/Lan on screen just because we won't get "Is there a way to make sure she knows it's me?"