Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Like, imagine if Peter Jackson's LOTR had tried to drum up interest by releasing still pictures of Bilbo's pipe, Aragorn's horse, and Legolas's crossbow? It wouldn't have worked super well there either.

Come again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gwaihir posted:

The joke is that Thom had a harp, not a guitar, ditto Legolas and Bow, not Crossbow.

Oh, I missed that. Gotcha.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Armauk posted:

They're likely limited to what they can release in terms of stills, videos, and trailers. Makes sense the hype machine is bad.

Why? They finished principal photography a while ago, didn't they? Seems like they could start releasing something. Anything. Stills of characters in costume, at the very least.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They've done these officially:

1) various actors not in costume
2) table read pics
3) various emond's field pics
4) moiraine
5) lan
6) sword
7) dagger
8) guitar
9) shadar logoth
10) tinker wagons

Really, forget stills and teasers, they need some kind of actual trailer at this point.

Oh I somehow missed the Moiraine and Lan teasers. That's kind of cool, if insanely short.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

High Warlord Zog posted:

I wonder how lucrative book adaptations are for Amazon. Even if show isn't a breakout, is it worth it to them to keep it going off the back of the novel sales it boosts? I assume that's part of the calculation that lead to them picking up The Expanse or greenlighting the Tom Clancy movies and shows.

I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if an increase in sales of GoT books was part of the calculus for greenlighting a WoT series. I can't imagine it's that much of an increase, compared to the budget of the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's some overlap but it looks like LOTR and WOT adaptations are going after different audiences. WOT is the "appeal to everybody because magic and dragons and whatever" show and LOTR is the "deep lore dive so slightly nerdier but still accessible because you've heard of it" show. I could have those backwards though, I don't exactly have a strong sense of where LOTR interest is broadly among core audiences right now and WOT is always talked about as popular fantasy series but it's rare to hear anyone talk about it the way they talk about GOT or Harry Potter or even Sanderson's stuff.

The real question as to show longevity is which one Bezos likes more.

Also, about your specific post, remember there aren’t actual dragons in WoT. There’s even a part in The Great Hunt (I think) where they’re looking at the banner of the Dragon and trying to figure out what kind of creature is on it, because they have no idea.

LOTR, on the other hand…

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

How are u posted:

They'll probably just show another photo of a guitar.

Maybe a wagon this time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The next tease will be the flame and the void, and everyone will claim it's ripping off this:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Maybe I'm just starved for actual content, but that's a pretty amazing poster.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So I guess no trailer. Oh well, at least we have the month it's coming out now. Just a matter of time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sab669 posted:

Just a guess, maybe the trailer will drop once they've hashed out the exact dates beyond "November 2021".

And I mean July is already almost over; November isn't that far away so they're probably close to finishing that sort of stuff by now and start the media hype train of announcing announcements

Yeah, I'm only mildly disappointed. And that's far outweighed by how excited I am by the fact that we're getting the show itself in ~4 months!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

See, poo poo like this is bugging me. Why is this how we're getting promotional material for a show that comes out in 3 months?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Holy hell. It looks good! They may not have screwed this up!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My brother is reading the series for the first time. He just finished Eye of the World, and loved it. He calls me all time with questions, and is getting hilariously annoyed at how often I answer with RAFO (so I’m giving him the authentic experience). But he was curious when to read New Spring.

I saw a YouTuber say he recommended to read it after book 5, which, when I thought about it, made a lot of sense. Thoughts?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CainsDescendant posted:

Are we gonna get another actual trailer?

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1451654556601892864?s=21

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mossyfisk posted:

The easiest way to finish the whole series would be to follow Moiraine, and just skip ~8 books.

Spend some time with the Snakes and Foxes, then come back for the Last Battle with poo poo having gone crazy while we were gone?

I mean, it would be funny, but pretty confusing for TV watchers. But I’m someone who liked the Dark Tower ending, because I read them once they were all out, had no investment, and was just laughing through the whole ending.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://youtu.be/vhe3vSe-mmw

That was a lot of nonsense.

I’m guessing season 2 will combine books 2 and 3? And finish in Tear? With Rand getting the fancy Sword with the name I forget and the blowing of the Horn? Which is why Rand went off on his own, like he did in book 3?

That way Rand would get to be an actual character for his journey to Tear, which would a nice change of pace from book 3, and let him meet Elayne on the way. Probably Lanfear, too, minus Mat, but that doesn’t really matter.

But drat, if they keep killing people and bringing them back, death is gonna stop feeling like it matters.

And no Aginor or Balthamel. Why don’t you want me to have my Forsaken, show? I finally got Ishamael in this episode (and he was great), but I missed him all season, and the other two were my favorite part of the finale of the book. They’re immortal fallen sorcerers who work for the literal Devil, dammit. Use them.

I also don’t get why Lews Therin was called the Dragon Reborn in the flashback, but that’s minor.

I loved the first season overall. But that finale was a bit of a mess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Yes please! First gangtag I’ve actually wanted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

eke out posted:

the people mad about army sizes and exactly how many people one person that's level 68 and has x y and z feats can kill need to learn to turn off that part of their brain and have fun when cool stuff happens

I agree about this. Wiping out the Trollocs looked cool as hell.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dr. Clockwork posted:

After a seriously dazzling display of raw power annihilating thousands of Trollocs by 5 mostly untrained channelers linking up...I'm curious how Dumai's Wells is going to play out and if the impact is going to be undermined by this earlier scene.

edited to remove "low powered" before people holler at me about egwene and nynaeve because my original phrasing was incorrect.

I think the main impact of Dumai’s Wells was the sheer horror of what was happening. The Asha’man weren’t just unleashing a ton of raw power, they were doing it to annihilate and explode huge amounts of actual people. We can go back and forth on the morality of killing Trollocs, but the fact is you can kill 5,000 of them and no one will really give a poo poo. When human body parts start landing all around you, it’s a little different.

At least that’s how I remember Dumai’s Wells. It’s been a really long time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

His Divine Shadow posted:

The show putting on these pretenses like this and the whole who is the dragon reborn "mystery" just tied it's hands and didn't make anything about it better just worse IMO, the books handled the ishamael/TDO stuff just fine and the show could've copied it over to TV format no problem I think.

I don’t think they could have, actually. In the book, you could read “Ishamael” and “The Dark One/Ba’alzamon” and assume they’re different people. In a show, you’d clearly see they’re the same person. To keep the secret, you have to either keep the burning mask on him, which would hide his performance, or hire two actors, which I think starts to get needlessly messy.

The way they’re playing it, I think they’re gonna skip crazy Ishy and the death and resurrection and go right to Morridin Ishy. And they’ll have more flashbacks to Lews Therin, with him eventually meeting Elan/Ishamael, and that will be the reveal that Rand hasn’t been talking to the Dark One after all. Then you can have the prologue scene from book one.

Framed a bit different, but I like the idea, if that’s right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

It does? Like better healing? More strength? Can sense their Aes Sedai? What makes it different other than just saying they married?

Lan has some drinks, and later says he shouldn’t have because Moiraine always gets emotional when he drinks. It’s more than being married. Like, the show is clearly laying out some things that I think you’re not paying attention to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think the decision to vastly play up the "who is the dragon reborn???" mystery was a big mistake. So many changes were made because of this, and so much screen time wasted. I get they were trying to hook non readers but it just came off as cheap melodrama.

I have friends who are non-book readers, and they kept asking each other (and me, though I didn’t answer) who the Dragon is throughout the season. It was one of their main hooks. So I don’t think it was a mistake at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GORDON posted:

Same same. My girlfriend thought it was Nynaeve, after she mass-healed peeps. She is also enjoying the show as a non-book reader. (She made me rewind the part where Lan says "I will hate the man you love, and I will love him for making you smile" part, because she's mushy sometimes.)

It really is a great line.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hexel posted:

@Jared_McNeal3: Can you tell us how much you will be expanding on the forsaken in this season?

Rafe Judkins: It’s a big point of difference from the books in S2. We will spend more time with any Forsaken who’s in the show, more how the later books treat the Forsaken than necessarily Books 2 or 3 did

Excuse me, I need to go lie down for a while.

Oh god yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Post immediate bore who knows if tdo could touch the pattern that directly. It's described as an "outside force" aka free will.

I think it's also explicit somewhere that the 13 were just lucky to be at the bore. Maybe luck coincides with competence, but there were I believe hundreds.

I definitely remember a couple different versions of the story over the years, but I thought one of them had them at the Bore for some meeting, and the implication was that they were the ones at that meeting because they were "most powerful" or "highest ranking", or whatever.

Lord knows where I got that from, though. Please don't make me dig up the Big White Book of Ugly Art.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

Same. The forsaken PoVs are what make the series as good as it is

Yeah, I like season 1 a lot, even given it's issues that I can mostly forgive due to Covid and the whole Mat thing. But cutting Aginor and Balthamel was almost unforgivable.

On a rewatch, I kind of get it. It let them focus on one enemy vs. Rand. But still...god dammit, Rafe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

I did the deed for you
"While the exact events of that day can never be known, some of the details have survived. The Dragon and his companions arrived at Shayol Ghul to discover an unexpected bonus: a gathering of the thirteen most powerful leaders of the Forsaken Aes Sedai was taking place at the Pit of Doom deep within the mountain at the same moment, perhaps sum moned by the Dark One for a conference. The Companions struck quickly and mercilessly, sealing the Bore safely, without ripping open the Dark One's prison as many opponents had feared. Forty-five of the Companions were killed in the battle, and apparently the warmen took a much higher percentage of casualties. The strike trapped all the attending Forsaken within the sealing, thus removing with one stroke the Shadow's touch and his leadership in this world."

Ugly art book. Chapter 4, page 47

Oh thank you.

Okay, so "...thirteen most powerful leaders of the Forsaken..." at least implies that, of the leaders of the Forsaken, they're the most powerful. Which would say to me that they're the most powerful.

Though, I mean, it's not like this is the Bible or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bio347 posted:

You can just feel the wink and nudge here, can't you? The Pattern needed these guys around to shape the Dragon Reborn some three thousand years later, and so they just so happened to be in the right place at the right time to enable that to be possible. So weird!

I feel like being a villain in a world like WoT that is basically run by a giant computer would be very frustrating, were you to stop and really think on it. If you're alive and doing things, you're within the Pattern and thus beholden to its systems (and therefore probably ultimately helping out the good guys even if it doesn't look like it at the time).

Yeah, every once in a while I can sympathize with Ishamael, who just wants to burn the whole thing down, because he’s tired of it all.

He’s my favorite character in the series. He’s fascinating, because he sees the big picture, and has decided, “Oh gently caress that.”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CainFortea posted:

Yea but he's tired of the concept. He himself has not experienced any of that. He's just a philosophy professor who took himself so seriously he put himself into ennui.

Sure, but he’s figured out the game, he’s figured out the Wheel, and has decided he wants no part of it. I find that interesting. He’s discovered that all of life is reincarnation, and by the time of Rand has seen proof of it, and has chosen a totally anti-Buddhist belief, saying, “Yeah, that sounds loving terrible, I’m gonna break everything.”

I just can’t think of many other characters like him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Paddyo posted:

Doing a re-read of the last three books, and I forgot how loving good Knife of Dreams is. It makes me really feel bad for anyone whose only exposure to the series is that dumb show. "The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?”

Oh, it's one of the greatest moments in the series. I have confidence that the show will deliver. (Assuming it doesn't get canceled before then.)

Paddyo posted:

Yes, the show has shown so much patience developing that relationship that I'm sure it will have just as much gravitas and weight behind it in episode 7 of season 3. :allears:

This is funny, because I actually love the Nynaeve/Lan relationship in the show. Didn't know that wasn't the popular opinion.

I actually think it came on a touch more gradually than it did in Eye of the World, where I remember it just kind of happening out of nowhere.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 27, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Holy poo poo, please. I mean, it's possible she just did a different accent for the book. Like someone told her to stay accurate for the books, while the show wasn't. But still, this is a very good sign.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

Is there a sample of her doing so somewhere online?

https://twitter.com/lordmatcauthon/status/1556086676971216896?s=21&t=8oqk3v8Kjj2-eGlmDvKO9g

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DarkHorse posted:

:drat:

So I just finished rereading Winter's Heart and not feeling up to facing the slog. What can I skip to and what sort of stuff will I miss?

Ugh, Crossroads of Twilight was just fundamentally flawed as a concept. I get why he did it. The ending of Winter's Heart was such a huge deal, spend some time showing everyone reacting to that event. But the result is that nothing too major can happen in that book, and you have to keep hitting reset on the clock to go back and show, "And here's what happened over here..." I think I even read Robert Jordan himself say that he kind of regretted structuring the book like that.

Sorry, this isn't helpful. I don't have any answers for you.

Luckily Knife of Dreams was good again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

silvergoose posted:

There's no way they're dropping her, and they shouldn't, anyway.

Cut large swathes of stuff, sure, they're doing that to everyone and every plot.

I mean, not taking place over the course over a few seasons would help. I couldn't believe how long the Faile kidnapping plot took place in the books. It was something like 3 or 4 books, wasn't it? (Which in real world time translated to literal years waiting for the books to come out.) That was my main problem with it. It felt like it was never going to loving end.

Have it take place over the course of one season, maybe a little into a second, somehow and I think a lot of those problems go away. Though that would obviously take some reworking. But then yeah, as posters said above, you've got Perrin free to do other poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So I was right, 3 or 4 books, but basically 3. And 7 real world years. Jesus.

I think that's a big part of why people liked KoD so much. It finally put an end to that poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Any chance the woman bathed in blood is Lanfear being freed from the seal? That would be a cool thing to see.

Was that Rand in the White Tower at the end? Did that happen before the end of the series? I honestly forget.

Prairie Bus posted:

That music was a real bad choice. But who am I kidding, I’ll watch the show unless it’s radioactive garbage.

Agreed, the music was the worst part of the trailer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Data Graham posted:

If this trailer is anything to go by, it seems rather like this season feels more like the books than S1 did?

To me at least, 100% yes. But that may be a result of the first book also not feeling like the rest of the books, and they've now moved beyond that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Forgive me if this is a dumb question and we already know who he is, and I forgot, but is the bald guy in the gold armor Seanchan? And if so, is the dream of the Texan accent for the Seanchan officially dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why is Ishamael chilling with the Seanchan?

I'm curious about this, too. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, honestly. Ishy up to something new.