Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

None of this is bad given the team he's assembled, except for choosing Trubisky. That looks like his worst decision of all by a huge margin

MoaM posted:

I predicted Trubs would throw two scores, lmfao.

If the Packers defensive backs could actually catch, he would've.

mcmagic posted:

Even in the drive the Packers scored, Rodgers didn't really do anything amazing. That long throw was just horrific coverage by Amukamara and the ball was a floater.

He placed that ball well, and it wasn't awful coverage by Amukamura it's just really loving hard to cover MVS who has 4.3 speed when he bends a go route inside and there's no help over the top. Any DB is going to struggle in that situation. The pass itself was meant to be a floater because he was throwing behind coverage. Maybe he could've hit him deeper and given him a chance for further yards but he was just leading him to the right for the completion.

So that was a nice pass, but what else did Rodgers do? By my unscientific count he missed about SIX short passes. No joke, go back and watch it if you don't believe me

mastershakeman posted:

Seriously where the hell has Anthony Miller gone

I assume he was injured. He wasn't actually playing out there was he?

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1169983310791139329

I didn't even see this play last night Jesus Christ it's way worse than the actual int

Yeah that was his worst throw of the night including the INT. Easily, just look at that lob directly into the defender's chest. Dude's gonna get justly roasted by his teammates for dropping that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It wasn't a great pass at all. The WR had to run horizontally for like 10 yards to get there and the DB had no idea where the ball was because he's bad. It's not like he just got ran by...

The open space on the field was to the right, so that's where Rodgers put the ball. It could've had more depth allowing MVS to possibly get some YAC but he got the deep completion which is what really matters. Also MVS absolutely ran right by Amukamura, you can see he's already even at the beginning of the play and by the time the ball arrives he's significantly ahead. So he did get ran by, that's exactly what happened

watch it yourself if you want: https://www.packers.com/video/can-t-miss-play-qb-rodgers-uncorks-47-yard-strike-to-wr-valdes-scantling

Leon Einstein posted:

He had a couple nice dumpoffs. He was under pressure constantly and always has some rust at the start of a season. The talk of him being washed up doesn't worry me.

Yeah but the thing about dump offs is they should all be nice, especially when you're talking about a top guy like Rodgers. His ball placement was not great in that game, a lot of passes down by the ankles. I remember one which was a short miniscreen and the dude had to dive on the ground just to catch the ball

I would never say he's washed, that's silly, but he did not have a great day throwing the ball.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm just saying the Bears defense is ferocious and Rodgers handled it well enough to win. He's not gonna be contained like that very often.

I agree that the Bears defense was ferocious, but not that he "handled" it. He had 203 yards and one td with 60% completion that could've been a lot higher. I'm not gonna go back and count but I think 4 badly misses short passes minimum. For the most part, the Bears handled themselves because the offense is so bad.

Besides, I'm talking about short throws with no interference that should be easy completions. I'm sure he'll get better throughout the year, but it's a fact that he was not good yesterday

Pokemaster #421 posted:

yeah he usually takes a good 3 games to really start clicking, or at least that's how it's been in seasons past. Now if it's like week 7 and the offense still looks like poop from a butt then it's prob time to get a little worried. Until then not setting the world on fire the first game back with a completely new offensive system against what's almost certainly the best defense in the NFL is not that big of a shock. Actually having a defense that creates pressure and gets stops sure as hell is though

Yeah I agree. It was enough to win this time but it's definitely going to need to get better. He was also sacked 5 times, so it could be that the pressure was getting to him and some teams with weaker defensive lines should be easier. It's lucky for the Packers and La Fleur to get a win here but obviously they'll have to continue to improve if they want to get anywhere

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

And then Collinsworth would talk about Trubs being the smartest guy in the room when they met. Which is probably true.

if they were the only ones in that room I think we can assume it was in fact true

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Niwrad posted:

And the bashing of their receivers is unwarranted. Miller is really good but wasn't used much in the game. And he was probably not the first read so there was no chance he was getting a ball thrown to him. The Bears legit have a good receiving core and with a halfway decent QB like Foles probably have a top-10 offense.

I wasn't bashing Miller I just legit thought that he must've been injured because I didn't see a pass thrown his way the whole game. Maybe he was one of the "intended recipients" of a pass that landed ten feet out of bounds or something

Play
Apr 25, 2006

7 handoffs after the first two possessions. Teams that stray from establishing the run shall be punished, mark my words

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Timby posted:

How many times does it have to be said that this is a shot of the Bears at Lambeau from last year?

i dont think anybody cares because its still hilarious

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean I wouldn't be shocked if that turns out to be his worst game of the year. They'll get him more play calling success and easy reads and he'll keep limping along like before

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

Trade him to the Raiders for Derek Carr straight up.

Gruden will take it, he loves a project QB.

oooo that's good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen, your top scoring fantasy quarterbacks so far this year are Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott

lol

ELO Musk posted:

On the bright side, the Eagles kick extreme rear end. Offense was rusty first half and looked monstrous second half. The defense left something to be desired covering edge plays and crossers but the real flag is how little they got to clueless Keenum. Jernigan is currently my best hope of a turnaround on that front.

matter of fact, Case Keenum is your fourth highest scoring fantasy quarterback so far this week. 380 yards, 3 tds and no interceptions.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How loving putrid is Jameis Winston? Jesus.

he's awful, but that was especially bad. I can't believe he's still throwing up panic throws like 3 or 4 loving years into the process. He just doesn't seem like an NFL quarterback

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Niners were total clownball in the first half but then we got outclowned in the second, which was nice.

Yeah not a pretty win, thankfully they were playing against Jameis Winston and the Bucs. There were some nice defensive plays but the offense and Jimmy G did not look sharp

Mooseontheloose posted:

I picked the under on Bovada because I thought neither offense would click. I won but the Pats almost singlehandly threatened to get those 49 points.

The Patriots, on the other hand, look amazing on both sides of the ball. To me this looks like a much better team than last year and will probably waltz to the super bowl because there is no justice in this world

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lamar Jackson really threw the ball well. He did have some wide open guys but he still delivered catchable balls at a bunch of different depths. For sure it won't always be that easy but super encouraging overall.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The NFL is filled with the fandom of 32 teams and unless you’re a fan of the Patriots you don’t get to experience joy and the other 31 fandoms don’t want the other 30 to experience it before them.

Sorry Browns no one is rooting for you.

I have sympathy for all fanbases. Definitely didn't want to see them get beaten and battered and blown out like that. But they did, and it was funny.

To Browns fans I would say take a loving chill pill, there's a lot more football to come and it happens all the time that a poor showing in the opener is looked better by week 3 or 4. It was dumb to assume that the Titans were a powderpuff football team because on their best days they're extremely good on both sides of the ball. So continue to keep faith. Pretty eager to listen to the Thomahawk Show this week >:)

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Don't worry guys, the good news is the Patriots play garbage teams for the next 7 weeks straight

Oh wait I mean loving horrible news, sorry

Yeah looking at their schedule I projected 7-0 and they'v just annihilated probably the best team in the whole stretch. Easiest schedule in the NFL this year apparently

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There were the super bowl dickheads down to the "we shouldn't be absolute trash" people. We all looked loving stupid. This is what we got thinking the franchise was anything but a complete dumpster fire piled high with adult diapers

While I am enjoying your minor freakout, I feel like you're overreacting maybe a liiiiiitttttlllleee bit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

look at all these innocent babies who think brady doesn't take steroids :allears:

he takes all the steroids. when the rest of his team goes to get their steroids there's none left, bradys stolen them all

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah that hit on Foles was textbook what the bodyweight rule was. Makes me think the PI challenge rule will hopefully die after this season.

I don't think they changed the bodyweight rule, but it's kind of play by play. They do forgive it a bit if you're kind of coming in fast and don't have a lot of choice but to land on the guy. Haven't seen the Foles hit yet

sportsgenius86 posted:

Tomlin should be fired solely on the basis of Anthony Chickillo getting snaps at linebacker. That’s inexcusable, especially against the Patriots.

Also, spending like 13 seasons as a head coach and not understanding timeouts or challenges.

The defensive scheme seemed awful, period. If the Steelers were in base they'd just isolate an RB on a linebacker and hit an easy crossing route for 15 or 20 yards. If they were in lighter personnel they'd just run the ball successfully.

I've been saying it all offseason, this Patriots team is the best I've seen in many years and adding Antonio Brown only emphasizes that. Combined with the easiest schedule in the NFL, going perfect wouldn't surprise me at all. Still, that was a putrid effort from the Steelers on both sides of the ball. THIRTY TWO RUSHING YARDS ON THIRTEEN ATTEMPTS. Shameful

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's week one. Pats have to play through their whole division, a division that sucks but division games are hard. They have to play the Chiefs late in the season, Baltimore coming off a bye week, an Eagles team that knows how to play them, and the most recent Super Bowl champs, the Cleveland Browns.

:shrug:

The Chiefs are the only ones who I think are gonna have a chance there. Almost certainly they'll be 7-0 after this next string of games.

I'm not just reacting to this game, I've thought this all offseason which is why I took their defense in all my fantasy choices. They have a really really good team and it's hard to picture them losing, although sure, the teams you mentioned have a chance.

Regardless, a loss or two is not going to affect them going to the playoffs and easily claiming the one seed.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

e: Isn't the Seahawks O-line still horrifically bad?

They came on last year and added some pieces, people have been thinking it should be a pretty good year for that group.

The Bengals actually were good though, Sam Hubbard a 2018 draft pick and Carlos Dunlap were really loving poo poo up

wandler20 posted:

The Bucs had one overturned yesterday. So it is possible.

That was a no call challenge though, which is different than challenging a DPI call. Those have been succeeding on occasion, but refs seem really hesitant to overturn when there was a foul called on the field, even if it's clearly not PI

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tato posted:

Cam can't throw, now he can't even run. Surprised the drum beat for Will Grier hasn't started already. Oh well, at least Rivera will finally probably get run out of town. Not sure what to do with Cam's contract since he's washed up.

will grier is freaking garbage or else I'm sure you would've heard it already

but settle down, let him get into the swing of things. he did hit some nice throws, just a few really obvious and bad misses but I think he can get that cleaned up

Chinatown posted:

my takeaway after yesterday?

Big Ben Fat.

Head, large.

Neck, thick.

He fat.

also, bad.

:yeah:

Play fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 9, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Grier is....not ready. He's currently third behind kyle allen.

As far as moving on from Cam, his contract is basically up after this year. It would only cost 2 mil to cut him after the season, and they'd free up 19 million in cap space.

but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if he just retires.

he did look a little down, he said he was fine with only having one designed run and in general just seemed a bit somber. Wonder what's going on with his health

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

Nah the Cards shouldn’t be rewarded with a win after that punt. It was a 99.6th percentile punt on noted definitely-a-thing Surrender Index!

https://twitter.com/surrender_idx90/status/1170853885638057984?s=21

I'm apparently the only idiot who thinks it was a good move and the Cardinals were smart to not Cardinal themselves into a loss after the the Lions Lioned themselves into a tie

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

GOd bless

I panic changed my pickem to Broncos when it'd been Raiders all week. I have no idea why I panicked so bad and I have been suitably chastened

Also I went 11-5 against the spread. That's pretty drat good right. I could've made money on that

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The offense was pretty productive. Watson is being wasted because O'Brien is a coward and makes terrible tactical decisions and traded away all of the good players for peanuts, but the actual play calling was decent.

I was shocked at how well they ran the ball against the Saints defense. I also do like O'Brien's style with Watson with the multiple play fakes at the start of the play which keeps defenses on their toes.

Let's be honest, the Saints are the better team, if the Texans had come out with a win it would've been a lot of luck. Still, for a moment I thought they had it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I am resigned to the fact all of tff will continue to think Carr is a bad quarterback, nay I relish in it

Carr is good when he isn't seeing phantom pressure and can take the time to line up the shot. Just like 2012. Get him off his spot and subject him to pressure and he's complete balls

First game was a great sign because the Broncos didn't even touch him all night. The guys that have been brought in in the offseason will also make a huge difference, he didn't have poo poo to throw to last year but Jared Cook

Play
Apr 25, 2006

japtor posted:

I thought this play was a good sign in that regard:

https://twitter.com/JoRo_NFL/status/1171261283179597824?s=20

Yeah that's a nice play although you can tell that the throw was not really on target and Renfrow made an awesome play on the ball. Again force Carr off his spot and he loses accuracy, he kind of did there too. On the plays he wasn't pressured he dropped some gorgeous passes right in the bucket

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Give CEOs the cap and remove it from football

you realize that would make the patriots, cowboys and giants the crushing, dominant forces in the NFL with every other team begging for scraps?

I don't want to live in that world

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

the Yankees havent had a losing season in like 27 years

not to mention having 40 AL pennants and 27 World Series championships

Play
Apr 25, 2006

take your baseball feudalism eslewhere ross i want no part of it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

i wouldn't even bother watching football without the methods they use to increase parity

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean even if parity doesn't happen, teams go from good to bad very quickly. And if they don't, they had the chance with a high draft pick. It's funny when it works and it's even funnier when it doesn't work because they were given every chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l25m_F8aV84