Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What the christ is this. This is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Stumbled across this - it looks like an actual decent flight model that isn't noclip poo poo: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/csziq3/hovermode_may_be_widely_criticized_but_even_in/

...but I heard CIG has now removed this 'hover mode'? Is that true because if so then just loving lol

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
For some reason years ago I bought the basic $40 version of this. I was bored today and had a mess around in the 'verse.

It was surprisingly stable, I only had one disconnect, no crashes.

I had a number of deadly bugs which were amusing and frustrating.

Holy poo poo is the gameplay slow. But for hardcore space nerds like me that is tolerable for a bit.

The flight model is still poo poo but at least things feel like they have a bit more weight to then than I think they used to maybe?? Slow speed stuff like landing still looks and feels awful.

I would be happy if someone competent and not totally horrific had tried to build something like this. For insane space nerds there are lots of really cool things. It's a shame because of the way CRoberts and co decided to approach this, i.e. as a money making scam with delusions of being a game, that it will never amount to anything like the final goal of a massively multiplayer space game.

The planets, ships and lighting are pretty.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

This one's always wild to me cause like.. does Star Citizen even have atmospheric planets? I mean, it "does" I guess but can anybody tell? Does it make any loving difference except that on some planets you can take your dumb helmet off and like... see some clouds or whatever?
It means that your top speed is slowed to like 170m/s in most ships so it takes a phenomenally huge amount of time to get loving anywhere at all.

In theory they are introducing a proper atmospheric flight model at some point.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

As you play the game you become kind of numb to the "Missing stair" elements. As long as you step this way and not that way, turn like this when you get into the elevator, remember not to press any buttons during the ladder animation, memorize the byzantine layout of the UI and the steps necessary just to do simple poo poo like travel to a waypoint, the game is playable.

Well, okay no, it'll still loving crash randomly depending on the patch, and they are 100% lying if they say it never does for them. But you can avoid 90% of the issues if you basically contort and hunch your posture in-game to fit the only position that is remotely stable. Do that, and you can probably load a ship up and fly somewhere for long enough to take screenshots. You'll note that videos of dozens of people playing together in big ships or whatever is decidedly lacking since Rex went away- that is because that poo poo is basically impossible to coordinate on a normal server without most of the players dying/glitching/despawning forever.

Right now the safe things to do are:

* Spawn your ship and walk around it on the landing pad or hovering in space
* Use a single-seat fighter to shoot other people within about 1km of the spawn point weapons-locked zone

Anything else- delivering boxes, trading, performing missions, doing AI combat, doing ground combat, mining, etc etc- is likely to take you many hours and result in death, a CTD, and a net loss of credits.
I didn't play for that long but I never had any crashes, just two server disconnects (but I'm guessing those might be server crashes??)

In about 7 hours of 'playing' I had two instances of clipping through things and spinning off into nothingness, one was when I tried to get out of a ship's turret whilst the ship was in motion, the other was when I tried to warp to a waypoint on a planet surface and looped around the planet and into spinny nothingness death state.
It takes loving forever to get anywhere so when that happens to you it's extra stupid and terrible.

The crate picking up/carrying/cargo transporting mechanics worked fine. They are very silly from a gameplay perspective but whatever.

I did like three 'missions' and one was entirely broken so I had to abandon it.

However this was all in two small starter ships which I think have been out for like 12 years so I assume things are thousands of times worse on the massive half finished behemoth jpgs they're 'releasing' nowadays.

Honestly I know it's been said a million times but if they ever got it working as an MMO (they won't) the goon trolling capacity of this shitshow would be off the charts, we could just get big ships, accelerate then to 1km/s and slam them into the cultists JPGs on the landing pads at the big stations, like PGabs used to do, and it would be beautiful.

At one point I came across an Origin 890 or something, big sleek ship the design of which is completely ripped off from one of the brands of ships in E:D. It was just parked up on a planet surface outside a city, I guess the owner was afk or something. But his fancy fast attack jet thing was sitting on the landing pad on top of the big vessel, so naturally I took the time to ram it off and into a nearby group of trees so it was half clipping through the environment and jittering around like gently caress. This was the most fun I had in this 'game'.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Good loving lord, this was posted on SC Reddit and is getting upvoted:

The sub is melting down now in the most spectacular fashion I've seen so far: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/g3kumu/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20200417/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2020

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Good loving lord, this was posted on SC Reddit and is getting upvoted:

The sub is melting down now in the most spectacular fashion I've seen so far: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/g3kumu/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20200417/

Oh man, that image doesn't even show the full change from the originally-announced version of 3.9. Someone posted in the reddit thread an image showing original 3.9 vs. what 3.9 now is and...

(New Babbage landing zone is still in 3.9 (it's one of like two real things that they are actually releasing) but I think there was a pre-release second iteration of it that somehow disappeared)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
It's incredible how much emphasis they put on New Babbage as the headline of this update and how loving little there is there. There aren't even the back alleys and stuff like in Area18 where you can imagine some day they might put shady mission givers or whatever. NB is justa bar, a handful of shops/restaurants, and pointless lounges and exercise areas. It's bizarre. They haven't even pretended to try to add some new gameplay there, like a place you can get missions or whatever 0_0

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Page 1001. This is still my favourite thing to have ever come out of Star Shitizen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Just dropping in to say I can't believe this poo poo is still working for them. Phenomenal. Honestly who the hell is still buying all those jpgs. Is it just a handful of the old diehards or what.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
OK which one of you made the CRoberts space dozer, it's so fantastic https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...web2x&context=3

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got interested in autonomous driving whilst bored at work a few weeks back and I've done a fair amount of browsing on the topic since.

It is incredible how similar the Tesla FSD online enthusiast/investor crowd are to the Star Shitizen crowd. Even down to the 'two weeks!' meme which is present in both communities. Each new iteration of the software, the fans jump up and down begging to be the next one to get the released rolled out to them. A week or so after, the whole thing falls apart as they realise the fantastic new release is just the same buggy garbage. It is kind of surreal. Someone should do a psychological study of these groups to understand the phenomenon.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I guess that's it yeah.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ah the good ol days of sloshops.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Do the ships still move like they're noclipping around with obviously no weight whatsoever like they're little toy models made of balsa wood or something