Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The moves in the AKI games were hand-animated as far as I know. Warzone and Attitude used mocap, and all the moves looked godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Huntman posted:

I remember watching guys on YouTube use Action Replay Max or Gamesharks to allow a ton of tables to spawn and it just blew my loving mind.
I did that back in the day, it ruled. The game would crash (or maybe just start lagging like crazy, I forget) if you pulled out more than 12 or 13 tables.

You could also use Action Replay to add weapons (including that giant pile of tables) to Hell in a Cell matches in HCTP, which ruled as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My first exposure to TNA in the weekly PPV days was the AJ Styles/Jerry Lynn/Low-Ki/Psicosis 4-way elimination match for the X-Division title. I had only seen WWE at that point so this match blew my mind, so I looked up some more early TNA stuff because surely it had to be great as well!

:negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Randaconda posted:

The Steiner screwdriver is still one of the more terrifying moves I've ever seen.
I first saw that in No Mercy's create-a-wrestler mode and thought it was made up for the game.

edit: actually I think it was Scott's finisher in Revenge before that but I either never saw it in that game or just forgot

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 15, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

One of my favorite dubbed music moments on the Network was on a 1998 Nitro. The nWo theme starts playing and Tony Schiavone says "That's not Hollywood Hogan's theme, that's the nWo theme so this must be someone else coming out!" Randy Savage shows up and cuts a promo.

About 15 minutes later the nWo theme starts playing again, this time much louder and clearer as Tony goes "That's not the nWo theme, that's Hogan's personal theme, Voodoo Child!" while the poorly overdubbed 4 LIFE is trying to drown him out.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bret really should not have been anywhere near the ring in 2010. Booking him in matches was a monumentally terrible idea because he couldn't, well, have a match due to his condition.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

davidbix posted:

I think they expected him to be able to have a perfectly acceptable story-heavy shortcuts match until Lloyds of London insisted that literally nobody could do anything to him.
Oh, right, I completely forgot the whole insurance deal! I just thought he didn't take any bumps because any kind of mishap might kill him, but that makes sense. I've never seen that flying elbow either, that's pretty awesome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Somehow, You're Gonna Pay is a far worse theme than anything Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock could ever come up with.

badasses always kicking rear end in a top hat's rear end

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember the instrumental version he had as a heel being okay. It was a nice change of pace after Rollin' anyway.
Yeah, that one is good. Instead of idiotic lyrics seemingly taken straight from the back of a t-shirt you'd see some boomer chud wear at Wal-Mart, you just have some cool guitar shredding and it's so much better.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Alaois posted:

jimmy yang did a really cool leg lariat to aj styles in the first tna ppv so he's fine by me
Ah, The Flying Elvises. Now there's a trios team that needs to make a comeback.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did WWE go back on their thing of allowing users to watch every Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Summerslam and Survivor Series for free during quarantine? I suppose expecting WWE to be fun and helpful is expecting too much.
Apparently, yes. RIP the Let's Watch Old PPVs thread, I guess.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

it's not like it's difficult to get the network for free though
Don't you always have to create a new account to get the free trial, with different emails and billing addresses and that sort of thing? Not that that's difficult or anything, just kind of annoying and more effort than I can be bothered to muster up for a WWE product more than once. :effort:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh this reminds me though, gently caress I loved that cage match between Flair and HHH at Taboo Tuesday, and it had the right finish too.
I recently rewatched Taboo Tuesday 2005 and yeah, that match ruled. Too bad about most of the rest of the card that night, that was some dire poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho had a match against...someone (I've forgotten who) where he was supposed to win, decided that didn't make sense to him and decided on the fly to lose instead.
I remember a story about Jericho asking Shelton Benjamin "Wanna be IC champion?" during their match at Taboo Tuesday 2004 and them improvising a new finish where Benjamin wins with the T-bone suplex.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure this was also the match where Jericho misheard Benjamin's finisher as "Beeboo Crawshanks" and had no idea what that was, so he just did a flying nothing off the top to set up the finish.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Huh, I wonder where I got that "Wanna be the IC champion?" story from then. I'm reasonably sure I didn't make it up in my head.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

The Jim Ross induction into the kiss my rear end club is one of the funniest, weirdest things ever on TV. It goes on forever and it's truly disturbing on some level.
I recall the payoff, if you can call it that, to the original Kiss My rear end Club angle was Rikishi's comeback from injury and Vince getting his face shoved up Rikishi's rear end by The Rock. They dubbed fart noises over the segment in the international 1-hour highlights version of the episode, presumably because the comedy in the original segment was too subtle for our strange foreign sensibilities. Or maybe the SFX were in the original airing as well, Smackdown was taped after all. Anyway, that was a thing that happened.

The segment was so long they cut part of it from the international version. First off, we've got Rock and Vince coming out and talking trash to each other as Rock says he's going to shut down the Kiss My rear end Club for good (lol), and he's gonna do it by making Vince kiss his rear end. He's got Vince kneeling in the ring and everything. However, he eventually realizes that's not good enough, so he brings out JR so Vince can kiss his rear end. About 17 hours later, Rock says that's not gonna work either and Vince isn't kissing JR's rear end. So, now Trish Stratus comes out to get revenge for... everything in that loving terrible angle earlier in 2001 as if this segment makes up for all that poo poo, and Vince is all :vince: about the prospect of kissing her rear end (the Trish part of the segment was cut from the international version and I only read about it later) and naturally that's not happening, although I'm sure Vince tried to convince UPN it would be great for ratings. So, finally, Rikishi shows up and we get the wonderful payoff to this equally wonderful storyline that is promptly forgotten and never brought up ag--oh, son of a bitch.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 1, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I Before E posted:

If you want the modern King's Road, with title matches where each man's resolve and durability is tested, you may be interested in a little promotion called NXT
NXT isn't only watched by men, you know

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

ECW Theme Songs But Recorded By Knock Off Bands
They actually got some pretty big names on that covers album. Motörhead did a cover of Enter Sandman, and Bruce Dickinson did a great version of The Zoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ5FIG_m3w

White Zombie, Megadeth and Anthrax were on there as well. I was pretty surprised to see how many big-name artists they had on ECW Extreme Music.

I also like the cover photo, which looks like Sandman was trying to put up a barbed wire fence but was too drunk to do it properly and this was the end result.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

bartok posted:

The worst gimmick tournament reminded me that Dr. Death (w/ Oklahoma) lost a steel cage match to Jerry Only from the Misfits (w/ Vampiro) on an episode of Monday Nitro. I guess my question is why?
Does "WCW 1999" count as a valid answer? :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mr. Pogo had a sickle
Which might sound like something that never got used in a match because... well, it's a loving sickle and what kind of crazy idiot would get stabbed with a sickle in a wrestling match, but whenever Pogo was in the ring with guys like Onita he'd really go to town with that thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Tatsumi Fujinami is still wrestling fairly regularly
It's all down to his amazing gymnastics routines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-8KPL6pnoU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

“Yup.”
I was very sad when I found out Jumpin' Jeff was not the Jeff Farmer of nWo Sting fame. Sure, those two guys didn't even vaguely resemble each other, but how many wrestlers named Jeff Farmer could there possibly be?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I thought it was they had come to an agreement that Vince could use the "WWF" initials in the US, but worldwide it had to be clarified "World Wrestling Federation".
This somehow even had an effect on the subtitles on the Finnish broadcasts of Smackdown, which began in the summer of 2001. For the first month or so, the subtitles said "WWF" but that was soon replaced with "WWFE" and finally with "World Wrestling Federation," the latter of which must have been an absolute pain in the rear end to put in the subtitles every single time when you already had to deal with ultra-strict character limits.

I didn't know any details about the behind the scenes stuff with the Fund at the time, but I figured it had to have something to do with them because the change was so abrupt and weird.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Arbite posted:

Holy smokes, that would have been horrible.

https://i.imgur.com/B1UZHft.mp4
Oh jesus, that would've been Hayabusa but even worse. :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Timby posted:

Francois Petit? He was WWE's massage therapist and semi-doctor in the '90s.
Wait, the guy who played Sub-Zero in the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie?

...holy poo poo it is

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

a cyborg mug posted:

Yep been watching via FITE all this time here in good ol Finland. Not without issues because FITE sucks, but Plus is a good deal and I’ll suffer FITE for it
I dread the day AEW gets some lovely Finnish TV deal because I'm so used to watching the shows live and commercial-free. Fite's video and audio quality could be better and the live chat on the player page is so radioactive I adblocked their chat server, but not having to mess around with :filez: or a VPN or anything like that is really nice.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

TVGM posted:

Do you have that chat server URL handy? Hate the chat.
Adding www.fite.tv/embed/v1/chat/ to your filters should do it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jobbing to Coach was supposed to happen at Taboo Tuesday 2005, but since Austin went "gently caress that poo poo" they had Coach (with Goldust and Vader) face Batista instead. Batista, somehow, did not job to Coach.

That same PPV also had a very fat and very rusty Mankind beat Carlito in a terrible match, because that's how you build new stars. I remember being very disappointed Dude Love lost the "which gimmick should Foley come out as" fan vote.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

I do have this vague memory from around that time of Vince and Lawler on commentary, watching someone who had a rock gimmick and Lawler jokingly asked whitebread Vince if he was into any metal. Vince paused for a bit and gave a legit answer of, "I like that song 'The Beautiful People,'" which explains why that song keeps popping up in WWE. I can't remember who they were watching, though, considering Man Mountain Rock and Rad Radford were both gone before that song was released.
The Headbangers? They even wore Marilyn Manson shirts.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Self indulgent might be a better term. Those HHH/HBK matches start great (SummerSlam street fight, 3 Stages of Hell, Raw from Texas) but by the time they arrive at their Last Man Standing and abysmal Hell in a Cell matches, nobody in the world cared except Hunter and Shawn. They're stinking up the ring in these forced "epics". That HIAC match is 47 minutes long and nothing memorable happens. Plus that match went on over Benoit's first PPV defence of the title, because despite the feel good story of Chris Benoit's hard work and finally winning the big one, Vince decided it was HHH/HBK the audience really wanted to see.
I was a big fan of Shawn Michaels so I enjoyed the first couple of those matches, but even I didn't give a poo poo about the HIAC match and it also annoyed me how Shawn never loving won after the Summerslam match (and the Elimination Chamber, I guess). HHH went over every time because of course he loving did, except in that Last Man Standing match which ended in a draw.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

widespread posted:

I swear that match also had the "YOU CANT WRESTLE" "I DONT HAVE TO" chant the crowd did with Show.

Could have also been a different Hammerstein show but :shrug:
It was the same match, which also featured Taz on commentary responding to the "CHANGE THE CHANNEL" chants with "Why would you want to change the channel? This is great!" and in no way sounding like a man who was dying inside with Vince McMahon screaming in his ear.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I liked that interaction a couple of years ago where Tony blocked some Twitter rando for saying he was a lovely announcer. When Tony realized that person actually said he sucked in latter-day WCW, he immediately unblocked them and said "Yeah, fair enough."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

What does STO stand for?
Space Tornado Ogawa, after its inventor Naoya Ogawa.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Dalton Castle uses a "I Want It All" knock-off
Radio Ga Ga, unless he uses a second Queen knockoff I'm not aware of.

"Ironman" Tommy Cairo used We Will Rock You as his entrance theme in the early days of ECW. The problem there was that Tommy Cairo sucked and the song was far too cool for him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Vince exploded his legs and made them restart the match for a quick spinebuster and Batista wins.
There was also a few minutes of RAW and Smackdown refs arguing while Cena and Batista kept throwing each other out. I think Vince came out after that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It didn't help that they were planning on debuting someone (I forgot who, exactly) as Katie Vick's brother
I believe this was Scott Vick, formerly Sick Boy in WCW.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Super Dragon owns, Fat Super Dragon owns even more

obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5MemsJR_Ws

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

apophenium posted:

Sounds like I should watch some PWG
Here's Super Dragon and Kevin Steen attempting to murder each other for half an hour at PWG's Astonishing X-Mas 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9WbJWTxQw

The video quality on this upload is sketchy at best, but the full show can be found in higher quality if you look around.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 had him as "The Radiator" with AWFUL written on his trunks, as he'd left AJPW shortly before the game came out.

"The Radiator" Mike Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wait until you see Kronik vs. Undertaker and Kane and realize Undertaker and Kane were just as bad as Kronik
From what I remember, Undertaker was the worst worker in that match, followed by Brian Adams. Kane and Bryan Clark at least put in some effort.

The match itself was much less awful than I expected. It's not good by any means but I've seen far worse. To be fair, I've heard the worst parts of this match were cut from the Network/Peacock version of the show, but I don't know if that's true or not. If it is, the cuts are pretty seamless.