Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sharparoni posted:

What is the most powerful move in wrestling logic? Does anything beat the Canadian destroyer off the ladder through a table from last weekend? Maybe a Burning Hammer would still beat that

headbutting a samoan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wrong, it was that one match in TNA where he did an armdrag

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Minidust posted:

Were the recurring jobbers on WWF Superstars mostly local workers, or was there of a handful of contracted job guys in there? Like I believe Brooklyn Brawler was with WWF full time despite performing exclusively as a jobber (correct me if I'm wrong).

And what about a guy like Barry Horowitz? I assumed he started local and eventually got signed when he did the angle with Candido/Skip.

Barry Horowitz had a run in the late 80s where he was a jobber who would actually sometimes get wins against people even lower on the totem pole than he was (including David Sammartino and, amazingly enough, Ken Shamrock in 1988) before he left and came back for his New Generation jobber career where he got that weird mini-push from beating Candido

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doc M posted:

The moves in the AKI games were hand-animated as far as I know. Warzone and Attitude used mocap, and all the moves looked godawful.

yeah it didn't really matter how good the Hardys are, mid-90s mocapping technology did them absolutely no favors

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

If I were ever asked to associate the words Pro Wrestler with someone it would be Terry Funk.

for me it's Scott Norton. he's like a cartoon wrestler brought to life with his body proportions and his voice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

No, those are both poo poo. "Jackknife" and "Jackhammer" both sound like something violent. And neither name is long enough.

He calls that the Hit The Road Jack And Don't You Come Back!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

wwe commentators are not allowed to say move names. its bleedingly obvious and annoying as hell once you hear, like, any other competent commentary team

vince called everything the WHATTA MANEUVER. vince hates wrestling.

hey

hey

hey

he called the BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BACK BODYDROPS

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the discussion. I had always thought the Tombstone was a Taker original. It's so iconic that they just call it that now. It's also fun to reverse-engineer what finishers actually are because I learn new poo poo like modified reverse crossbody grapplefuck or something.

Okay, so a new question. Has anyone tried to make a wrestling promotion simulator? Like you're an indie trying to get a TV deal without getting gobbled up by the fed, something like that.

that's what games like TEW and EWR ostensibly are.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

the Irish whip used to be a guys finishing move

the original irish whip was more like an ippon seoi than what we call an irish whip now

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and don't even get me started on what passes for an ura nage in pro wresting these days

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Dig diggity
Dig diggity dog

C'MON BOUNCE

is cookin

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Memento posted:

WTF is going on with the WWE talent being stuck in Saudi Arabia? Is there a thread discussing it, or does it go in the WWE thread?

its been in the WWE thread and the Social Media thread

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think you can still climb on the Smackdown Fist and jump off buildings in Time Square in HCTP so they hadn't completely lost their way yet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I have asked a similar question before, but what basic/weak-looking moves are deceptively injury-prone? I got surprised upon reading that the leg drop hosed Hogan's body up, and I have several other accounts from wrestlers (some have been injured by a botched hiptoss, a lock up, or even a simple stomp on a grounded opponent).

baseball slide dropkicks are apparently the number 1 way to break your leg doing something that isn't all that impressive

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shawn michaels is like 5' 10"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

one of the most famous wrestling promo packages and definitely the most famous wrestlemania promo package of all time featured a Limp Bizkit song

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

That song was way loving better than anything Imagine Dragons has ever excreted

imagine dragons freakin sucks but limp bizkit's attempt at a deftones song is not much of an improvement

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Getting back to the video packages, basically every 2002 CZW video package was incredible except for the ones that used Creed.

Scott Stapp's life trajectory has very closely followed that of a professional wrestlers, though, so maybe those have aged best of all

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Who are some of the "loudest" sellers?

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

everyone who wrestled in AJW and JPW in the 90s

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry I got another question.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but the flying elbow is apparently a very dangerous move and I recall hearing a big name really hurt somebody with it once. Was it Savage? I don't think it was Shawn and those are the only two I know of who used the top rope elbow. I just remember hearing somebody got something crushed or caved in. Not a whole lot go go on, sorry.

The incident you're probably thinking of is when Savage hit Charles "Lil' Naitch" Robinson with an elbow drop that cracked several of his vertebrae and collapsed a lung.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just as long as nobody steals my ref gimmick of counting pins and count outs in 1-Mississippi 2-Mississippi

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who else has had injuries or surgery covered up by clothing and gear while still wrestling, acknowledged or not?

Undertaker had the Phantom mask.
Jericho wrestled with a cast on his arm, kinda counts.

D'lo had that chest protector and Bob Orton had his arm cast but I don't remember if either of those were legit at the start.

Brutus Beefcake had the metal mask after he came back from getting his face smashed in by a parasailer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MathMathCalculation posted:

After his Goldust stuff, when he returned to WCW, was his run considered any good? I remember when he cut a promo about how he hated dressing up as something silly and then his gimmick was like a generic cowboy. It seemed pretty boring to me at the time, with the only memorable thing being that he carried around a cowbell, but at that point I was pretty done with WCW so I might be biased.

i only saw a little of very late stage WCW but what little I did see, Dusty and Dustin were often the best at taking the absolute garbage that was given to them and making it entertaining

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Mil Mascaras. Any other answer is hilariously wrong and ignorant.

i mean the question itself is kind of useless with how hilariously narrow the parameters are. 3 companies, one of which has existed for literally under a year.

you're still right, though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shut the gently caress up al snow

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Cowboy poo poo chants started immediately after he delivered a promo before Full Gear where he told Pac that he would be showing up to do some cowboy poo poo and knock his head off his shoulders

e: apparently that promo was after that video so yeah I guess that's where it started

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I think it was 97/98, around the time they wanted to do a deal with All Japan. Baba wouldn't agree to the money they wanted to bring in WWF stars and told them no one knows who WWF wrestlers are in Japan. The WWF reps thought this was ridiculous because they saw Austin all over the magazines that week, since it was right after Rumble 98 and the Tyson angle.

i would suggest AJPW send them Wolf Hawkfield as a joke but Wolf Hawkfield was far too important for that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

hi is this telling me that ajpw had a guy use a virtua fighter gimmick

no of course not

they had two, they also had Jeffry McWild for a bit. Wolf Hawkfield lasted a bit longer than he did.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Seeing Cornette managing the Rock and Roll Express was just bizarre

he didn't manage the Rock and Roll Express, he managed the New Midnight Express of Bob Holly and Bart Gunn and then got peeved when they had the two of them fight in the Brawl 4 All without any buildup

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

justin gabriel is very handsome

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about Alexander Rusev in NXT, then he went to the main roster and suddenly found his charisma

what, that's ridiculous, rusev had everything in NXT. no shoes, a big plank of wood, a crotchflap, everything!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Sasha would instantly be the biggest women's star in AEW and it's dumb to claim otherwise

for the 8 minutes she's on screen before injuring herself, sure

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

In the old Botachamania intros, what is, who I presume to bey Rey Fenix, saying at the 40 second mark? "Lu Cha Te"? Why is this considered to be a classic enough botch to be fit alongside classic blunders like Raja Lion and art donovan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2r95In4B6A&t=39s

first of all, that's Kalisto, and he's saying "Lucha Thing" from his famous "good lucha thing" promo after being drafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe6KX3pkA70

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jimmy yang did a really cool leg lariat to aj styles in the first tna ppv so he's fine by me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doc M posted:

Ah, The Flying Elvises. Now there's a trios team that needs to make a comeback.

Sonny Siaki (who is The Rock) retired from wrestling after donating half his liver or something to his brother but I bet Yang and Jorge Estrada can still go

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

a stable of guys who do that subculture of japanese ppl who dress like 50s american greasers with huuuuuge pompadours would be amazing

the Bosozoku Jung Dragons

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, the WrestleMania 9 segment was racist even before Todd Pettingill started shouting the name of Japanese automakers.

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

If the Brawl for All taught us anything, it's that guys who had a reputation for being tough bar fighters and guys who'd been athletes when they were younger were not necessarily much good in a shootfight. Everyone thought Dr. Death was going to win it, then he tore his hamstring just circling around and got his clock cleaned. You never know what age and injury has done to people who haven't been competing for years.

Tank was washed up as a MMA fighter before he went to WCW, but WCW didn't have a lot of shooters. I'm sure Bret wouldn't have done it. The Steiners were great wrestlers and had a scary reputation, but again, age and injury. Buff had done some boxing but I can't see him being dumb enough to go in for it. Maybe some of the younger or less prominent guys with wrestling or fighting experience, like Glacier and Lash.

Knowing WCW, they would have let anyone compete and encouraged the wrong people for stupid reasons. It would have been even worse than WWE's, with a bunch of untrained bodybuilders giving each other career-ending injuries. And they'd do it for a $0 gate at Road Wild, and the savings on contracts would be the first time Road Wild turned a profit.

considering Bart Gunn won the actual Brawl 4 All and he had experience in Toughman Contests, for all we know the winner of the WCW Brawl 4 All would have been Hardbody Harrison with his patented Biscuit Cutter and Porkchop

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the name "Kofi Kingston" for a Jamaican guy is pretty ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPWkIRWY9U