Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So, we all know that a) Vince McMahon has total control over creative, and b) his ideas are absolutely insane. Despite that, there must have been some angles over the years that have been so batshit that people have managed to veto them. What are the ones we know of? I've heard of the Steph incest angle, but there's gotta be more that have leaked out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Benne posted:

Another thing Moxley alluded to was that he felt sympathetic to the writers, who get paid way less for a thankless job and are considered way more expendable, so he wouldn't try to bury them. He specifically talked about the times when he went to a writer with a problem, they'd just shrug and be like "yeah, we know," and then it was like "aw gently caress, gotta go to Vince again," which is where the real burnout comes from. So even when he hated the angle and lost the rewriting battle with Vince, he still felt motivated to go 100% and try to get it over, instead of sandbagging it and getting a writer fired.

I imagine a lot of the wrestlers feel the same way, no matter how humiliating their stories are.

Has Renee been buried since Moxley left and has been openly critical of the WWE/Vince? I don't pay close attention, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if she's been treated like poo poo in response.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How meticulously booked are Royal Rumble matches? Obviously the ending and key spots are, but is it fully planned out who gets eliminated by whom, and in what order, for the whole thing?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Someone in the WWE thread mentioned Vince having no business acumen whatsoever, so here’s a question: has Vince done anything that’s considered genuinely smart, innovative, impressive etc when it comes to business decisions, that can’t just be attributed to being morally dubious, or every other promoter being even more incompetent?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

imo wrestling should try this more often - let the guy who is a miserably villainous piece of poo poo as a human play a heel, and see how he does

If this was applied to everyone there would be approximately three face wrestlers in the entire world

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Does anybody know any good documentaries about masked wrestling, luchas de apuestas matches, or lucha libre/Mexican wrestling in general? I know almost nothing about these subjects, but my bored lockdown brain has decided to be fascinated by them

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
This is a pretty vague question with no real answer, but: at what age are wrestlers generally considered to be past their physical prime? I'm guessing late 30s/early 40s? What's the oldest somebody's managed to put on A+ matches?

I guess this only really applies to technical workers, whereas brawlers can pretty much go forever, but even they'll slow up a lot once they hit a certain age, I'd assume.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 14, 2020

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When, how and why did new WWE workers start getting given really loving dumb names? I was just looking through the rosters and most of them are lame as hell, but it feels like it’s been this way for... at least a decade?

They’re not even fun dumb, it’s like they’re caught in a middle ground where they’ve tried to give people ‘real’ names but still make them unique, so they’ve ended up with a roster full of Bobson Dugnetts. I hate them all.

Also, how come some indie stars get to keep their names and others don’t? I get way control freak Vince would want to make sure WWE can keep the IP of their biggest stars, but they seem to have relented on that for a few people.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

It always seemed like such a waste to me when WWE changed the names of established wrestlers.

Because half the reason of bringing them in was to capitalize on their already established fanbase, and hopefully bring them to WWE. So by changing their names, (especially to the stupid names that they give "newcomers"), it seems like they killed most of the momentum getting signed by the WWE is supposed to add to ones career.

I always assumed that, in typical scorched earth fashion, they did it so they would own the name/gimmick so the worker couldn't profit off it in the indies when they're released. I know that's not a new practice, but still...

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

It seems a shame that there aren't any wild cards in the tournament, some sort of unexpected surprise entrant that would dramatically change the brackets, some sort of... je ne sais quoi everyone would have to deal with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFffg_Wt9HM

Surely one of the most inconsequential stables of all time. Just... what was the point?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

We know how Vince has an insane level of control over scripts, promos, and storylines, but how much control does he have over in-ring action?

Does he micro-manage/cript the matches as well? I had heard something from somewhere that said that modern WWE agents are doing this nowadays, but does the senile fucker in charge have any say?

Oh, and I am not talking about stuff like "the curb stomp is banned", or "no blood till the main event" style things. I am asking if Vince goes "first you lock up, then the first guy hits a dropkick, and the second guy counters with a suplex ... and then the first guy wins with a roll up" etc.

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1296794379538006024?s=21

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Did anything remotely interesting happen at the Rebellion/Insurrexion UK PPVs of the early 2000s? They were basically just locally-broadcast house shows, right?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Is current WWE really the company's nadir? Because I'm working my way through the Worst Gimmick Tournament thread and the mid-2000s seems way worse.

e: creatively speaking, I mean.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 27, 2020

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was gonna mention that Mick Foley seems like he dotes on his kids, but then I remembered the clips of the I Quit match in Beyond the Mat, which was a really crappy thing to put your family through. Think that's more just not thinking it through (and wasn't he pissed at The Rock over that?) than being consciously lovely though

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
OK, as you’re desperate for a change of subject, indulge me with a question I’m sure has been asked over and over.

On a total whim I signed up to NJPW World to watch Wrestle Kingdom live, without having seen a single minute of NJPW before, and I’m hooked. What are the matches I should absolutely make sure I watch while I’ve still got the subscription?

I’m about to watch the Omega/Okada series, which I’ve heard loads about of course, but apart from that I haven’t really got a clue.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

This is a very big list of suggested matches for everything up to and including some of 2018. Anything in gold is, well, gold

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit?usp=sharing

Wow, this is quite something, thanks! (and everyone else)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

I remember from some interview somewhere that Omega talked over the match layout for his dome match with Okada with the Bucks, and their reaction was "holy poo poo, that's the match of the year". I doubt it was move by move for 48 minutes, but if we've learned anything it's that Omega puts an absolutely extraordinary amount of detail into everything. I think it would be fascinating to see whatever his notes were. And at what point Okada decided that taking that dragon suplex was a good idea because that still bothers me years later.

I've just watched this, and yeah, the one of the English commentators (can't remember who specifically) say right at the start that the Bucks came over to the booth and said something to the effect of "you're in for a treat here", with the implication that they've seen how the match has been laid out.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When Austin/Rock's eyes meet for the first time in 01 is one of the most electric things to have happened in a rumble (but maybe my memory has exaggerated it). Also hilariously recreated with Cena/Orton a decade later with the crowd not giving a single poo poo at all.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

oldskool posted:

I enjoy Jericho's continuity in hating Pineapple Pete (screaming "I HATE THAT GUY KNOCK HIM OUT" every time he appears on screen, especially when Kris Statlander booped him) and him planting the seeds of the Orange Cassidy feud from his first commentary appearance. JR is a lot better with Jericho in the booth, I'd be interested in how those two would work as a two-man on Dark sometime.

Jericho screaming “THAT’S THE HAND SIGNAL! THEYRE DOING IT! THE FAMOUS HAND SIGNAL!” over and over at the end of Dynamite recently was amazing. Really hope he settles into doing comedy heel play-by-play full time at some poibt

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Without getting too much into the nitty gritty of WWE being creatively bankrupt, being unable to build stars etc... what do they actually teach people at the Performance Center? Or rather, how can it be possible that some trainees can hang around there for years and years without even getting anywhere near even an NXT live show?

I’m probably showing my ignorance of how wrestling school works generally here (though I believe New Japan, say, has a fairly structured pathway for their trainees, right?), but is there no ‘programme of study’? What could you possibly be doing when you’re in your fifth+ year of training without progression?

I.e., if it’s essentially a trade school, how can it not just function like it would in any other walk of life, where you do the training for [x] years, when you reach the end of the course they assess your ability, and you either graduate and get a job or you don’t.

And generally, it seems to me that WWE don’t really train people with a prior wrestling background, so it’s not like they’re just hoarding people with potential just so other people don’t poach them, so I don’t see why they bother keeping people around forever who apparently aren’t anywhere near ready to work.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Most signees at the performance center have years of wrestling experience. There's a few exceptions for guys from another sport

Ah, fair enough, my mistake. I thought they were still more-or-less in the ‘sign fitness models and NFL washouts’ mode (aside from hiring indie darlings), but I guess that policy is overstated/outdated

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Are there any house show/dark matches (or anything that went unfilmed) that have come to be commonly acknowledged as 5* classics purely from the anecdotes of people that happened to be there?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 12, 2021

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How does AEW manage to keep existing talent happy (assuming they actually do) with the rolling influx of new big names? Workers could be forgiven for getting a bit dispirited when they've been working hard to get to the top of the card and build the promotion only for, say, Punk/Bryan (and many previous signees) to come in and potentially take their spot? I guess that's just business...?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Havoc904 posted:

I forgot about the cum truck video and have been laughing about it for the past 15 minutes. My question is more of a request, please link me to the wrestling videos you find funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xKvmDx9cQ

https://streamable.com/tzg2t

I watch this video way too often for something so innocuous, mainly because the stupid grin that slowly spreads across Bryan’s face kills me every time

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Random thought while watching Dynamite (can't even remember which match now): if someone's in a submission hold and grabs the ropes, if they tap within the five seconds the ref is counting before the hold has to be released, does it count? If so, what's the (kayfabe and storytelling) reasoning for bothering with the count and not requiring immediate release? I suppose grabbing the rope isn't an achievement enough to warrant the person applying the hold having to break it, and the person in the hold has to do a little more to 'earn' it?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Even aside from the limitations of the WWE style, the production values surely makes it impossible to give a match five stars. The camera cuts make it impossible to tell what’s going on.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Are there differences in AEW workers’ contracts restricting some from taking outside dates and not others, or is it simply a case of some choosing to do occasional things elsewhere while others don’t?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you had any sort of inside info on booking decisions you could make some easy money

I’ve thought this before, but then I thought: how many people would know, with absolute 100% certainty, what the result of a match is going to be? What would be the minimum, assuming said people don’t blab about it? The Booker, The workers, the road agent, the referee, is that it? Commentary?

On a related note: is it true that the only people who knew Brock was breaking the streak was Taker, Brock and Vince?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 11, 2023

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
During the buildup to the match, was there much speculation that Jericho might actually retire with his ‘career on the line’ match against MJF in 2021, or was it just assumed that he’d win? It’s crazy to think now, considering the run he’s been on since

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Every now and again WWE decide they should just recruit legit athletes straight out of college, rather than actual pro wrestlers. Usually this is amateur wrestlers and football players, but have they ever tried to go after gymnasts? I feel like they’d be the ideal convert: flippydudes with great physiques, who tend to retire from their sport pretty young. Maybe they’re just far too short for WWE tastes…?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What’s the most anyone’s ever hosed up an iron man match? Like, has there been a situation where the person who’s supposed to win is down by too much with time running out, so they’ve had to spam pinfalls to get out of it?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What are the best wrestling books in terms of literary quality? Have any received acclaim beyond wrestling circles?

(More in terms of history, cultural studies etc, I should clarify - I’ve read plenty of [auto]biographies)

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 8, 2023

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was being intentionally vague because I really don’t mind about the subject, was just keen to pick something up about wrestling that’s generally considered to be Good Writing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Price Check posted:

The Roland Barthes essay "The World of Wrestling" is probably the most high-brow thing you'll find on the subject.

This was my starting point actually! I love it. Some really timeless descriptions of what wrestling is. Really makes me want to check out some stuff from the era he’s talking about too

Some excellent suggestions all around, enough to keep me going forever

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bonk posted:

Other than Hillbilly Jim and Dino Bravo, who else has debuted by being a stunt granny in the crowd that a wrestler pulled in?

edit: Wait, I think the debut I was thinking of was Dino Bravo pulling in Earthquake, not Dino debuting.

Santino did it too, though not quite in the way you say so not sure it counts.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Was it his experience in WWE that gave CM Punk a massive chip on his shoulder and made him paranoid that the whole world was against him, or has he always been like this?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When was the last time a ROH Pure match went to the judges? What interesting stuff have they done in the past to bring the judges into play?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think about this every time I see a Pure match. I want the judges to have to do something!!! I WANT TO HEAR FROM JERRY LYNN

The pen and paper is a nice touch. There's no scorecard so I can only imagine they're scrawling 'I THINK YUTA WON'

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Where do people rank Nakamura in relation to the other god-tier wrestlers of modern New Japan like Okada and Tanahashi? He was long gone by the time I started paying attention so I only really know him from the History of CHAOS recap on YouTube and the odd WWE clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
A world where Regal didn’t have substance problems and had a run as the top heel in the company would have been nice. He could have had the run JBL had, except a hundred times more entertaining and deserving.