Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hi J-Ru, can you add the CMLL time slots to the YouTube link?

Mondays - Arena Puebla - 10 PM ET

Tuesdays Arena México B Show - 8:30 PM ET

Fridays- Viernes Espectacular- Arena México A Show - 9:30 PM ET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just to follow up on the double stomp question you're supposed to do a box jump or squat style landing and engage your quads, hamstrings, and hips to absorb the force and soften it. It lessens the impact but won't entirely eliminate it obviously.

I wish this video had sound instead of music so you could hear his feet hit the pavement but this is the basic idea. It's also much easier to do the landing on a flat surface like the ground versus a human torso

https://youtu.be/Ycn7RmfjxIo

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hijo del Santo?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If you're talking late career wrestlers Negro Casas is just as over as Jericho. In ring is a push or even a slight advantage to Casas and he's 60.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

When you're talking about football players who became wrestlers, there's only one that's the GOAT

https://twitter.com/JohnGjoni/status/1255507230192959490?s=19

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Baron Corbin was on the Cardinals roster for training camp and I think spent a season on the practice squad.

Lance Archer was a QB at Texas State.

DeAngelo Williams worked a couple TNA matches and looked really good for having next to no training.

The best football player who ever wrestled though has to be Lawrence Taylor.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Brian Cage does it too. He also did it the reverse way one time at the APW cow palace show and suplexed Morrison to the outside. Jeff Cobb and another wrestler were there to catch him

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah just call it a no contest and adjust the booking afterwards. KayfabE is dead and people have seen enough stoppages in MMA to be used to them.

In fact more matches should be called by refs for cool poo poo like Kayfabe knockouts

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tombstone Piledriver is illegal in Mexico and gets you DQ'ed (and is a great way to end a second fall to get some heat for the third)

It often results in a stretcher job too so winning a big match with it is guaranteed serious heat for a Rudo.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Tijeras are essentially the same type of move though the traditional headscissors takeovers in American professional wrestling are a little different.

Tijeras also literally translates to scissors.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Wato noticably improved towards the end of his run in CMLL and his caballera contra caballera match with Dulce Gardenia on New Year's Day 2020 (which admittedly feels like a lifetime ago now) was actually good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85KkwML6oM&t=7205s

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Goto was very nice when I met him in San Jose last year

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I believe at one point my school banned the suck it crotch chop

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Looks like you all forgot about Tank Abbott

https://youtu.be/6tsAW8jGukY

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Judo throws to set up submissions look really cool

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Big Mami is my pick for AAA women's division potential break out star. Her charisma is absolutely off the charts. The crowd was insanely hot for her Hair vs hair match.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Nash was into the booze and pills too and WCW had a big party culture. Imagine letting HBK loose during one of those debauched Spring Break weeks.

It sounds like Nash would make sure Hall got to his hotel room at the end of the night and got up to hit the road next the day so they could party in the next town. I don't think he was doing much more beyond that.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 29, 2021

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My first wrestling show was a 1992 WCW house show with Sting vs Rick Rude in a cage match for the main event. Rude had nuclear heat, the crowd was throwing trash at the cage during his pose down. He and Sting had a fun short match and the crowd went nuts for Sting winning.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Someone posted a bootleg video of it holy poo poo

https://youtu.be/lrfmpDRgEDE

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Poop

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I was at that cow palace show and Switchblade was working that match to be the biggest rear end in a top hat possible against Babyface Juice. He played the whole Barnett incident perfectly for even more heat.

I was pretty close and Barnett looked pissed when he went into the ringside area but Switchblade just rolled away and trash talked which made it look like "Oh he's being such an rear end in a top hat during this match he riled up Barnett too." It was really surprising but it came across as part of the match, which made Juice's victory and post match beer and popcorn celebration that much better.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I also want to add that the whole debacle would have been prevented if NJPW had either a) done something to secure the ringside barricades better or b) called an audible and told everyone no Irish whips into the barricade.

From the first match on it was apparent that the Cow Palace barricades were not secured like the ones NJPW regularly used. They were shifting all over the place when people went into them. I was about 10 rows back and it was readily apparent

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Very rudo move Cav

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

With Ivelisse gone and Brian Cage very boring in the role we need LA Park as the locker room chaos agent.

ftfy

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

El Santo was/is a cultural icon on the level of Michael Jordan or Babe Ruth. The president of Mexico went to his funeral!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If anyone ever gets the itch to get a custom mask let me know. I have a guy who made my Rudo Masks, they're $60 for the semi pro version (you don't need the pro version, it's not very comfortable). Super high quality stuff. You send him the design and measurements and he makes them. Really good stuff.

He makes gear for a bunch of the SoCal wrestlers.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Has anyone heard stories about Kobashi training his chops by practicing on the wall? I heard it from my wrestling trainer.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

King poo poo

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pitwar posted:

On top of what others have said, wrestling rings are a lot nicer to bump in these days.

In the old days, they often used rings similar to boxing rings which are pretty solid. Bumping on those nightly was going to do you no favours.

Modern rings have a lot more give in them, and while bumps are still going to do you some wear and tear over time, it's nothing like it used to be.

I did my first wrestling training session practicing rolls in a boxing ring. You don't want to bump in a boxing ring. Ever.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Building the kind of cardio you need to be able to go in the ring is really hard. You have to do HIIT with barbells and explosive movements (CrossFit or something like it) plus you have to do longer, moderate intensity cardio (running, cycling, swimming, elliptical, etc) to build your Vo2 max.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Why isn’t Chris Hero doing anything higher profile right now? Seems he’d be a lock for someone to sign even just in a backstage role.

I just went to a seminar with him this past weekend. He seems to really like coaching and teaching. I didn't get a chance to talk to him very much but the seminar was great and I learned a ton even just as a commentator. He may be just doing freelance seminars and podcast right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was doing some training on the DL for someone and making some extra money. The guy has a really positive outlook, is a great teacher, and is super patient, nice, and understanding of beginners.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

titties posted:

I would have paid to not see Jeff Jarret tbh

This. Jeff Jarrett was warm dogshit, and a complete black hole of heat. When we did the Nitro rewatches in PSP-TV he consistently got go away heat as one of the worst parts of the show, even during the Russo era

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Follow up note on the NOAH/Kobashi talk. Went to a Chris Hero seminar a couple months ago and he said the NOAH multi man tags were some of the easiest matches he worked.

They went hard in the big matches but took it easy in the multi man matches/house shows

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Lid posted:

hell Rainmaker was pretty much just ripping off Pope D'Angelo Dinero that was happening at the same time, but that just makes it even better as Nature Boy Ric Flair stole from Buddy Rogers

all the GOATs steal

So Okada’s TNA excursion wasn’t for nothing

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

What would be the worst possible combination at the commentary table? My vote is: Matt Striker on play by play, Stevie Ray and Mark Madden in the 2nd and 3rd seat

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 8, 2022

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Everything! Cardio, bumps, drills, running the ropes, all of it. Whatever the class was, ref trainees did it unless it was getting into more advanced stuff. Basically, everyone needed to know how to bump and work safely in the ring but they didn’t need need do suplexes and getting slammed off the top rope.

This is pretty much the same for the school I went to as well. They have a beginners class and a semi pro class. Refs and wrestlers do all the same beginners training: cardio, rolls, bumps, running the ropes, basic drills, lockups, holds, takedowns, strikes, basic moves, etc.

Semi pro class is more advanced drills, advanced moves, match segments, and practice matches all with refs and commentary where feasible.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Following up on the language barrier question, wrestlers who don’t speak much of a mutual language will use body language and pantomiming with some basic universal wrestling terms to lay out spots or sequences ahead of the match.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

purkey posted:

I’m going to be in Mexico City for a week in March. Should I try to get tickets for CMLL or AAA. I would love to see some live lucha

If you want some restaurant or sightseeing recommendations send me a PM or hit me up on the PSP discord

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I learned calling it in the ring as wrestlers will typically call out a series of spots. Typically the more veteran wrestler calls the spots. An example of something super basic is “headlock, drop down, tackle, take it again” where one wrestler starts with a headlock, the other sends them into the ropes, drops down, then takes a tackle and gets up and the original wrestler who had the headlock grabs another headlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Mark Madden was the worst commentator ever on national TV with Striker as a not so distant second. Madden was straight audio poison, it was unbearable.

I've done live streaming commentary but never TV. The main thing the other commentators and I always focused on was getting the wrestlers and match over while keeping things flowing and balanced. You don't want to be super serious all the time, but you can't be using it as practice time for your standup routine. You don't have to call every move, it's more about going up or down in intensity to match the flow of the action. I was always told as a commentator your job is to help and guide the viewer to understand the story being told. You shouldn't try to tell the story or focus on getting yourself over. You get over as a commentator by getting the match over and leaving the viewer with a positive experience.