Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone know where I could find something very specific?

Back when ECW was on the air in the late 90s they would air these title history packages that were great. It was Paul Heyman voicing over the title history of everyone from the first champ to the most recent and every new champ would have their theme music playing over video of them winning it. I can't find it anywhere and always thought it was a great way to give new fans who didn't know everything about the fed a history lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

gently caress yes!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fez_machine posted:

When people talk about MJF and Cody they frequently mention Lex Luger and Sting.

What were they like? (Plus Lex Luger is a beef boy and Sting is a crow ghost, how did they have friendship?)

So it was basically like you're seeing right now. Luger was a giant rear end in a top hat but he was still friends with Sting who was a surfer dude at this point. Sting was a giant goodguy and he was always down for going after the heels except for Luger. They may have fought once or twice but they always got back together

The other faces would always get in Sting's face and be like why the gently caress are you defending this dick and Sting was like because he's my bestie.

Then suddenly Sting started showing up with the nWo and all the faces including Luger were like What the gently caress bruh. But Sting insisted that it wasn't him. They were like but we saw you dude and he was like come on after all the times I gave you all the benefit of the doubt please trust me. They told him to stuff it.

Here comes War Games WCW vs nWo which has Sting on the team. As the match goes on Luger and Sting are about to lock up until Sting comes out from the back and loving destroys bad Sting. The bad Sting was Fake Sting the whole time! So Sting says gently caress you to all of WCW, goes goth, buys a vulture and starts living in the rafters with a baseball bat.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

What are the best heel promos of all time? (No slurs)

I always liked this one from Hogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hILCw66sLU&t=114s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was just reminded of one of my favorite lower-mid level guy who really leaned into it in WCW. "Above Average" Mike Sanders.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

It's really kind of incredible how much better WCW booked the Giant than WWE did the Big Show. Up until the very end when Nash finally Kevin Nashed him, the Giant was treated like walking death for whoever he was facing. It usually took gigantic scmozz finishes for the opponent to have a chance

They did this for Sting from 96 - 98. He was like a normal sized dude who was like the only one who could take out the whole nWo. I also remember a match between the Giant and Sting where Sting busted out a toprope Scorpion Death Drop.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4np4c

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 18, 2019

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So in WCW, Jericho hounded almost every cruiserweight, none more than Dean Malenko. He beats Malenko, takes his title and then makes fun of Malenko all the time after he takes time off to mourn the passing of his father.

This goes on for a while, all the while Jericho keeps dominating the cruiserweight division, sometimes never even taking his belt off in a match. All this leads to a big battle royal to crown his next challenger. Before the match starts Jericho introduces all the entries making fun of their names.

In the end it comes down to Juventude Guerrero and Ciclope who have a little chat followed by Juventude eliminating himself. Jericho gets in the ring to challenge him now only for Ciclope to take his mask off and ITS DEAN loving MALENKO THE ICEMAN THE MAN OF A 1000 HOLDS AND HE KICKS JERICHO'S loving rear end.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7g4dh

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

At anypoint did something happen that made you lift your feet off the ground, put your hands to your mouth and your eyes to go wide? If so then yes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Randaconda posted:

remember when Bray could have been a legit main event guy, but he never loving won an important match

Has Bray won a single feud?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

What was up with Piper/Hogan at Starrcade being non-title? Was that known before the match? Did they pull a Halloween Havoc '95 and retroactively screw Piper in order to have a happy ending but not give him the belt? Did they pull a Summerslam '93 and expect you to be a loving moron and/or child who didn't exert any kind of brain activity when watching their show?

I think it was just some Hogan bullshit. That was the first ppv I watched the build to and was invested in and I totally assumed it was for the title and was really upset when Piper didn't get the belt.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You could get NJPW World which is basically a network service you can get on any smart tv so I wouldn't say that's too hard.It's cheap too and you just hit a button and the entire site is in english. Very easy from my use.

Sling is $15 per month 1st month and $25 a month after that and it comes with TNT so that's your AEW right there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I remember really enjoying the feud in WCW between Raven Benoit and DDP but don't actually remember what it was about or what happened. Does anyone remember? Bonus points if you can just from memory without any refreshers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

:goodshit:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Michael Cole ever had a "career defining" call? JR has several, especially Mankind/Taker HiaC.

He's a damned good professional, shown especially when Lawler had that heart attack live on TV but I don't know if he's had anything like JR.

The closest has to be at Wrestlemania 30 after Vince hosed off and Cole called the main without someone in his ear. His miracle on bourbon street line was pretty good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

... I'm sorry, the what?

It was a whole series of angles. In fact here's one where it's still going after Brock's face turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fO2NLaq6A

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That reminds me, this was my favorite Mick Foley Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWYPzh-mLE

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

What's the best WWE game, gameplay-wise? I remember going through several iterations of Smackdown vs RAW and I thought 2006 was the most solid? I made The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy as a heel CAW there

Personally for me it's Here Comes the pain. The previous year's entry really upped the animation and moves and this added a lot of branching storylines for a 2 year career mode. It was my go to wrestling game for most of high school and college.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

shawn michaels is like 5' 10"

Lookit dis dood

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t really understand the hype behind Kenny Omega. I get that he’s a good technical wrestler, and I liked his match with Okada (also I know about his whole thing with Ibushi), but most of my exposure to him is via AEW, where he seems very much on par with other wrestlers and isn’t like wow amazing or anything. Can I get an explanation of why he’s so significant?

When it comes to talks of people being the best or better than others a lot of it is consistency and longevity. Jericho is considered great because of how long he's been a top player and can keep himself relevant. Okada is considered by many THE best in the world for his ability to carry an entire promotion on his back with 5+ star classics with a gambit of opponents for years. And Omega is much the same in his ability to have great match after great match. I also like how snappy he is and fast.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They're definitely trying to put in reminders of how good he is with the recent subplot of him finding weird angry intensity, even if it's in matches that don't really matter. They've been extremely heavy on Kenny Omega offense if just to keep him simmering on the back burner. Dynamite is still trying to introduce more of its characters and build some storylines, but Kenny isn't going to be booked in a slump forever.

Kenny also has an interest in AEW doing good well after his retirement since he is one of the main people behind the company. Frankly it's really unselfish of him to not be the top star right away. This company is built around unselfish people.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cody reminds me of 90s Ric Flair. He was never the cornerstone of the show like Hogan or Sting but he was a big drat deal and he had these amazing promos with an announcer in the ring. That's how I feel about Cody and frankly since he's been killing it in that roll I don't even have a problem with it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I dislike Matt Hughes and I dislike the person who wrote up the book summery.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I think I'm finally gonna get into ECW. I never saw any of it back in the day and have always been curious.

Bryan and Vinny talk about how Mike Awesome was made to look super short next to people like Nash. His kayfabe height was 6'6 apparently but he was nowhere near that. Does anybody know how tall he was legit? Is there like a big list of wrestlers' real heights out there anywhere?

Awesome was ECW Champion. So was Bam Bam, right? Was being ECW World Champion a notable thing? Bam Bam Bigalow has to be one of the bigger names to never have world titles in WWF or WCW but maybe a world title in another promotion is still something.

The ECW title didnt change that often and the TV title changed even less often. At least when I was watching as a kid I thought they were super important. Also Mike Awesome's reign was my favorite. The tag titles too were really well protected.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

i am afraid of dying soon. i have an immune system that catches everything but handles it sort of well from there which is still not ideal. I wonder if that fudged me up on here. didn't think about it before but i will try not to be too frighteningly brash. i want to be friends with everyone like NienNunb is. i think i normally would have chided tony khan for writing his shows in 7 minutes however. As a little bit of a pranky

Are we friends? I hope so.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The time between Austin 3:16 and him winning the title is strange in hindsight, being so transitional from the New Generation to the Attitude Era. Probably doesn't help that I wasn't watching until after the AE was started proper.

It was about a year and a half. 316 started at King of the ring 96. He started his feud with a returning bret at survivor series. He had an amazing 97 that you could tell he was being groomed for the main. Tremendous royal rumble match great match with bret at mania a title match after that he headlined a bunch of raws and had an amazing rivalry with the rock for the ic title. He was clearly the man by rumble 98 attacking everyone before the rumble to the point that when he came out they all stopped fighting so they could get him and he still won and then laying the foundation of his fued with McMahon before mania

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

To a certain extent Emma was like this in NXT? The main roster of course hosed it up but the original idea was "She's a goofy space cadet but also an amazing wrestler."

I always thought the idea was that she sucked but drat it shes trying her best and slowly getting better?

A variant on QT Marshall

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

anakha posted:

What's the wrestling discord again? Just in case something happens to the forums.

https://discord.com/channels/271775045947359232/271775045947359232

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Reminded me of my favorite Scott Hall theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_CYCyy9Mo&t=106s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was thinking the other day how wild it is that The Rock was able to get his eyebrow over. What are some of the strangest things that wrestlers have gotten over?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The way Scott always put it was the he knew that he was bulletproof and a loss to Kid would make his career. He did the same thing with a very young Tanahashi in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1YeYXBiB7g

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

I cannot believe I finally caught up with the wrestling questions thread

O.K. here it comes, my question that does not deserve its own thread:

Why did the Initiative break up the moment I bought their shirt

Almost as importantly, why does nobody ever talk about the WWC when saying "all" American territories died? Sounds like they have been plugging right along down there since the 1970s and even doing fairly good business in the process. I imagine the answer is just "people do not think of Puerto Rico as America"

My only ancendotal answer to why do people not talk about WWC is that my reaction to this question was What's WWC never heard of it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1508931476573888520?t=wgaKYDbH3WFrdvYTonYFxQ&s=19

I've been watching a bunch of clips of this kind of wrestling lately. I don't think I like it I get worried that everyone involved is hurt or has poor QOL now in their older age. And of course what happened to Misawa.

How did the other legends of this time turn out health wise? What do Japanese fans think looking back at this. So they think wow that's still great or do they like newer styles that look painful but are safer?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I like Abbadons act. It's fun and different

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tony def comes off on air as having more personality these days and having more humor. He didn't feel like he loved wrestling back in the day like he does now so I can only assume it was the way WCW was run. Because you don't find that love of wrestling when you're old it must have always been there

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Not enough people know how great Jushin Liger is

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Trying posted:

He's only crowd over

I appreciate this. Made my lol irl. It's like the final form of that joke. Come to think of it "He's only (blank) over" is a form of goalposting that I never considered until today.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I assume that anyone who would work with Vince McMahon for multiple decades has major personality issues.

All bosses of rich companies in America are like Vince. We over here trying to get paid OP. We can't be choosey about which crazy boss we endure

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Got a bunch of heel related questions

Who's character improved the most from a heel turn?
I say Chris Jericho in WCW. That made his whole career as far as I'm concerned

Who's character had the best reason to turn heel?
Bret Hart WWF in 97. It was so well done because it was less him turning and more his character staying the same while the entire company and audience changed when it became the attitude era.

What is the earliest heel turn you can think of? My knowledge of this drops off sharply anytime before the 80s.
The earliest one I can think of has to be Larry Zabesico who went from Bruno's protege to his heated rival

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now for the face side of things. Same questions but change alignment

Who's character improved the most from a face turn?
Mankind. His double turn with the Rock at Survivor Series 98 was amazing and it made his character go from interesting to iconic I feel. When people think of Mankind they usually think of face turn Mankind

Who's character had the best reason to turn face?
Kenny Omega in NJPW - His turn when the Bullet Club turned on him only to be saved by long time partner Kota was so amazing. They shot confetti out of the ring posts just to celebrate it!

What is the earliest face turn you can think of?
Probably Macho Man when he became champ which lead into the Mega Powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Did a wrestler ever lay claim to ECW's legacy that was only in ECWWE? I feel like it might have been part of Matt Cardona's amazing sports entertainer run on the indies