Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

who shot Dino Bravo?

Probably the mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

PublicOpinion posted:

Has anyone here gone to a 3-2-1 Battle! show in Seattle and if so what's the parking situation like if you're coming in from out of town?

On a related note: how do I watch 3-2-1 Battle! online?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

bladeworksmaster posted:

So we all know the Reign of Terror was pretty bad in terms of booking overall, but in that whole sequence, what were the best matches Triple H had during that reign? Is there, indeed, anything really salvageable out of it?

Big Dave has him with four matches above four stars from 2002-2004:

vs. HBK & Benoit, WrestleMania 20 & Backlash
vs HBK on 12/29/03 Raw
vs HBK at SummerSlam 2002

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just have a few questions:

1. How come Vince never pushed Adam Bomb? The guy had a decent look, and he was no worse in the ring than plenty of guys who Vince had pushed.
He was pushed pretty hard for the first year of his run. He had a face turn, but shortly after that happened it seemed like Vince was done with him.

For the other question, the answer is likely someone who either didn’t primarily work in the US or was too old by Mania. I’m trying to think of who’d fit while avoiding those groups. Maybe Kenny Omega at this point? Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody also come to mind.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 8, 2019

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

lost my old email posted:

i have a scoop via an intimate friend: it is not fun to be punched in the vagina

Bryan Alvarez disagrees.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

On top of what others said, what you have to remember is that for all its edgy 90s presentation, ECW had quite a lot in similar with old territory wrestling. It was Memphis but in Philadelphia.

Dusty as a charismatic brawler and blading enthusiast would have been a perfect fit for ECW in his prime.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 13, 2019

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

thats hard times pilsner, daddeh. ask for it at your local watering hole.

I caught Autocorrect on changing blading to something else, but it still snuck the other one by. Brewmaster Dusty would have been better than the son of a plumber, though.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
e: gently caress, wrong thread

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 13, 2019

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a clip to the Youtube where Beau James uses the worst armbar finisher in history?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

God bless you.

The commentator is actually... good? He could have fit in on a WCW C show in 93 or something.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Without looking I'd bet it's Lawler he's been in the ring with all sorts of old guys from that area.

The thing to keep in mind about the arm bar is they were really proud of this angle. They played the full angle week after week on SSW TV, sometimes multiple times per show. We must've watched it 50 times when we watched SSW TV.

You watched SSW weekly? But at what expense?!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

he was in the rumble one time (it was the one won by one of two superstars to win from #1, the other being Shawn Michaels). That’s probably it.

2004. That's his only entry on Cagematch's Match Guide.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Is anyone running the WH-128 this year? Jerusalem’s Top 10 Wrestlers thread (which is also cool and good) reminded me that the WH-128 used to be every other year or so (but not this year, possibly because of this being an old dead forum).

If y'all are good with it, I'm okay to run it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Punch McLightning posted:

If y'all are good with it, I'm okay to run it.

I'm doing the drat thing. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900148

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What’s the TL;DR on Will Ospreay being an idiot on social media? I’m only aware of the time he tried to lecture Sadie Gibbs(?) on the importance of giving a good impression to Japanese companies when she had to leave Stardom due to a death in the family.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

as a trainer

Off the top of my head, I'm not aware of anyone in the WON HoF solely or primarily for being a trainer.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea who Adam Blampied is. Why do I keep seeing things about how he’s back and why should I care?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Was an arm wrestling match ever a blow off to a feud?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Nyla Rose got suspended for putting a Mike Knox through a table, no?

Rick Knox, Mike’s much less hirsute brother.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Young Bucks/Lucha Bros from All Out is a contender, as is their Double or Nothing match. DIY vs The Revival at TakeOver Toronto is up there. Briscoes-Bucks at RoH Final Battle 2016 is strong.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

So I'm looking at some stats over on Cagematch, and uh...I've got a question.

What happened in the five years between 2006 and 2011 to cause Dave Meltzer not to hand out any five star matches in that period? Was wrestling worldwide in that big of a slump in that time?

WWE never became a five star contender until NXT got hot, New Japan was rebuilding, All Japan & NOAH were flailing some, lucha and the U.S. indies weren't regularly rated by Dave, and TNA was TNA.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there was a period where the only things Dave rated consistently were WWE and TNA.

I do worry that now, as over-emphasized his star ratings are, the fact that he’s really only reviewing major WWE, NJPW, and AEW shows consistently (off the top of my head) means things like AAA and OTT’s recent runs will not get as much exposure as they should.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It’s impossibly to tell if Hogan lies or just has lied so much he thinks it’s the truth.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
He's been successful as a face for fairly short periods, but you can't say that's ever been his strength.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Hi, here's another batch of questions - I enjoy keeping this thread going, and I hope people enjoy answering them:

1. Why didn't Christopher Daniels ever become a thing in the WWF/E?

2. Are there any catchy wrestling theme songs one should actually have in their library and/or purchase? I find the Gentleman Jack Gallagher theme to be fantastic. Lance Storm has a TNA/Impact theme that's actually really neat.

3. I vaguely recall Paul Heyman had a stable on SmackDown!, consisting of just hosses: Lesnar, Matt Morgan, A-Train, Big Show, and Nathan Jones (I had to go look this up, and I was sure Nathan Jones was only around for like 1-2 months, but nope - Wikipedia reveals he was in WWE for 8 months before managing to quit while on tour in Australia). Was this purely just a thing for Survivor Series, or did they do an actual angle? Did Jones quitting wreck this team/angle?

4. When did WWE's online store stop selling DVDs/Blu-Rays?

5. Has anyone played the 80s WWF board game? Was it at all decent?

2 begins with Minoru Suzuki’s Kaze Ni Nare

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
your-ah-NAH-gay

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

What's the best match The Miz was ever in?

The top snowflake matches for The Miz per Da Meltz (that aren't Rumbles/multi-man ladder/Elimination Chambers) are:

4 1/2 stars
Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. The Miz, 5/22/16 - this is highest user rated one on Cagematch
Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz, 10/9/16

4 1/4 stars
Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk vs. The Miz, TLC, 12/18/11
Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins vs. The Miz, 5/1/17
Seth Rollins vs. The Miz, 5/6/18

4 stars
John Morrison vs. The Miz, falls count anywhere, 1/3/11
John Cena vs. John Morrison vs. The Miz, steel cage, 5/1/11
Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz, ladder match, 12/4/16

His Daniel Bryan match from Summerlam 18 was also really good.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching some early 90s WCW and Tony is pretty darn good in this era. He also suffered from being not as good as Jim Ross in a time period where their shows competed directly against each other in the Monday Night Wars.

ChrisBTY posted:

Life starts at 63.
Now all Tony has left to do is submit Don Callis with the lockjaw.

It's a ways off, but I really hope that at some point we get a Britt Baker face turn based entirely off of someone being a dick to Tony and goddammit, that's Britt's friend!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Tony also seems to genuinely love modern wrestling as much as the old stuff, so that makes his work ring as an actual enthusiast who commentates. That also contrasts with modern JR who, at times, audibly sounds like he’d rather be anywhere else in the world.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

It honestly adds to the Bob Holly mythos so much that it takes him from "bullying dickhead" to "oh he's just very dumb" so I'm inclined to agree with your reality.

I was trying to read about the neck injury. This is from the 9/23/02 WON, where Dave was writing about a house show in St. Louis.

"Show ending was the Angle over Rikishi stink face match which saw Gunn try and help Angle make Rikishi kiss his rear end, but alas, Rikishi cleaned house on both and both got a double stink face. Even after the angle on Smackdown, Billy & Chuck played heels and also played a gay act. Seems Hardcore Holly told the crowd that he knew they were still queers, which got a face pop and Billy & Chuck played both the act up and played heel for the heat."

The first WON where it actually mentioned Holly had a neck injury was October 7.

There was no mention of sandbagging through the October WONs.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 23, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

He called his the Hollycaust, so he ruined even that.

At least it was called that for a very short period of time. I’m not sure if Holly himself named it or not.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

I may be hallucinating this, but didn't he say in an interview or his book that wherever the name came from, it wasn't his idea?

I don’t specifically remember or know it. It just feels like it’s well outside of his wheelhouse from the first half of his book which I read - he may be an rear end in a top hat, but he’s an rear end in a top hat that seems like he has never intentionally made a pun in his entire life, let alone a pun based on an atrocity.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Stealth Tiger posted:

I had a friend of a friend who tried to be a pro wrestler years ago, and while doing a move through a table a splinter hosed his eye and he had to have a pretty serious surgery and gave up on the dream after that.

jesus

There's that story of Vince notably nixing the unfrozen Nazi gimmick in the 00s, right? Like, just staring the writer down?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I have absolutely no idea how Vince didn't love that. Was it too on-the-nose?

Vince's hero is MLK Jr. For all of his (many, many) flaws, being a literal Nazi isn't one.

How's that for some faint praise.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dusty?

Edit: did we all forget Kevin Owens? That seems like an easy one.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hey, remember how there were/are conspiracy theories because someone edited Benoit’s wiki page as a “joke” to say it was a murder-suicide earlier than anyone would have known, and they somehow did so with a Stamford, CT IP?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It was just a completely bizarre coincidence. I certainly don't believe any of the nutjob ideas about Benoit being innocent.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

What good singles matches has Big E had?

Probably stuff this year. He’s almost exclusively been a tag team guy on the main roster and his earliest push on WWE TV when with Ziggler would have been a lot of squashes.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

The Grey posted:

What are the coolest clusterfuck moments to end a show? I am talking about where nearly the entire locker room gets involved and everyone is pairing off with their rival. I know ECW used to segments like that a lot, but haven't seen WWE do it in a long time.

A variation of this is the Mick Foley title win on Raw, which is an all-time highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has a referee ever caused a wrestler to significantly botch in a televised event? Being out of position or not getting out of the way in time or something. Kind of a general question I guess.

this has probably happened one zillion times in lucha libre