Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Zereth posted:

the child laborers aren't wizards, though

like, can you just think a recipe into an orb and then go buy a Wacky Magic Burger That Tries To Eat The Fries Or Something with it and have change, as Joe Schmoe

Can I buy the burger and then turn the memory of eating that burger into an orb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Halloween Jack posted:

The impending End Times in all of the classic WoD games was a great parallel to the looming sense of dread at the end of the millennium. But having all the legends turn out to be true really messes with the theme. The Vampire developers could certainly have said "Yes, Caine and the Antediluvians are dead. The Jyhad is just paranoia feeding paranoia, a cycle of violence that no one knows how to stop." But that was never going to happen.

It's one of the things I liked in the Bloodlines video game - everyone's running around in a panic fearing the apocalpyse, and it turns out in the end that the 'Antediluvian' is just a corpse and a coffin stuffed with explosives, and it was all a setup by Jack to play on everyone else's fears.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Libertad! posted:

...leading genocidal purges not just against goblins and monsters but also against kender.

Well, I guess that explains why he still counts as Good aligned.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Dragonlance makes a lot more sense if you replace 'Neutral' with 'Good', 'Evil' with 'Neutral', and 'Good' with 'Evil'.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Yeah, the books basically skip 90% of this nonsense. They especially don't have the party recruit a dragon, since it's a big surprise later on when they find out there are good dragons...

(What happens to your brass dragon buddy? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the later modules don't bother taking into account that you might have a full sized dragon with you...)

(And if they're cool with having the party recruiting dragons this early, why couldn't Flamestrike join the heroes? RIP Mad Aunty Dragon.)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Did the Maya and Aztec people literally believe human sacrifices strengthened their gods and kept them alive, or is that a European misinterpretation of their rituals?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Which is not to say that these traditions are dead, either. Leaving aside the thorny question of syncretism between indigenous practice and Catholic Christianity, there's evidence as recent as the 1970s that someone was up on Mount Tlaloc making use of the old ritual spaces.

There's plenty of temples in Guatemala where the locals still leave offerings.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Are there real beholders in the Dragonlance world?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What's with all the 'good taste' or 'snob' themed merits and flaws? It seems like they're expecting PCs to either be neo-Nazis or Frasier Crane.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wapole Languray posted:

Other nations include Canida (Dog Canada/Britain its sorta both), Falconigrad (Gryphon USSR), and some country of Dragons that goes unnamed.

Didn't even use 'Stalliongrad'...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I feel the connection to WHFB doesn't help either - you could get away with this giant, crazy, vaguely defined setting if you played up how weird and exotic and strange it can all get once you start wandering into the unknown... but you can't if you know 99% of the worlds are just going to be leftover bits of the Old World now with silly names.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If we're suggesting regiment ideas, what about Digganobz? Mad Max scavengers from a world that's been Ork occupied for so long the human population's gone feral too and started trying to be Orky. Now their planet's been liberated by the Imperium, and they worship the Emperor as the Brutally Kunning God of War, and are more than happy to join the great Waagh-Crusade.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Dallbun posted:

They out so much effort into the retheming in general, how on earth did Chewbacca end up as one of the cutouts?

Especially since one of the few rules Lucas imposed on the expanded universe during this period was "No Wookie Jedi".

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Ravenloft in general seems to have always gone back and forth and often been rather vague about whether it's an actual world with real people living in it, or if it's just a bunch of set-pieces designed to torture the dark lords with any other 'people' being just part of the set dressing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Dallbun posted:

208: The Strange Voyage
“Rumors abound of a new dungeon which has opened up on a nearby island, but the information is a few weeks old. It could be cleaned out by the time the PCs get there, so time is of the essence.”

I like the way that it's phrased, it sounds like dungeons are some sort of franchise. "Did you hear? They finally opened a new dungeon down the street! It's going to be so much more convenient than that old dungeon out in the Forgotten Realms!"

I also do like the idea of someone hiring the party to take out 'werewolves' but it's actually just a murder contract.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Dallbun posted:

271: Snake Underfoot
The PCs are in an underground tunnel where a spirit naga lives. The spirit naga has charmed slaves and made them dig out pit traps (then ate them). There are four pit traps - first, an open pit, then one covered by a conspicuous rug, then one covered by balsa wood lightly sprinkled with stones, and then one of those fancy ones with a pivoting stone lid. That final trap drops creatures right into the naga’s lair, and the naga will try to charm them during the turn they’re stunned by the 6d6 damage fall.

What is the point here? Why not just lead with the best trap, instead of having some kind of scaffolded educational pit trap curriculum? I guess this particular spirit naga is just loving obsessed with pit traps. And that’s random enough for me to find it charming. Keep.

This feels less like an actual trap and more like you've wandered into a pit trap showroom. I'd imagine once they're charmed, the Naga will start their sales pitch, and by the time it wears off, the PCs will find they've agreed to purchase half a dozen top-of-the-line pit traps.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, Wings! seems like it be a really easy adaption. Either your party has pre-existing hooks where they can effectively be plus ones for a wedding of someone they sort of know about, or they can just be hired to be at the wedding because of course you hire a group of morally flexible sellswords for weddings. poo poo like one of the couple getting grabbed by a huge bird is a noted risk in D&D fantasy world.

Or, if you want a total farce - the groom wasn't thrilled about the arranged marriage either, and he was aware of the bride's plan. He hired the PCs because he assumed random traveling bozos wouldn't be as good as actual professional guards.

Now he's trying to sabotage your 'rescue' attempt, while not being willing to admit what's really going on out of fear of the parents finding out their kids are trying to sneak out of the marriage they arranged.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I have to say, the image of a bandit gang running around with, essentially , a court sketch artist that documents their crimes is so hilariously absurd that I'm genuinely disappointed that they ruined the idea by making it creepy instead of just stupid.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

By popular demand posted:

there's got to be at least one instance of a nude person cleaning up and when they spot the party they just shrug and say "it's a living"

Just a whole bunch of naked mirror people going about their daily lives, and when they realize they're being seen, they have to quickly switch to horny mode. "So I was saying to Mabel, I said - oh, poo poo, are we on? Um, oh yeah, keep doing it. Yeah, this is my fetish alright. Oh yeah- Are they gone? Anyway, I was saying to Mabel..."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Now, Lahm's Finger Darts requires you to shoot off your own fingers at people and wait days for them to regrow, and that's another problem with this section.

Alright, there's a lot of edgy bullshit here, but can't we all appreciate this wonderful concept? I want a whole set of spells that require you to shoot off different body parts until you're just a torso and a head, like a more aggressive version of Monty Python's Black Knight.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
...wait, how does a mouse have dreadlocks?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Asterite34 posted:

Star Trek has a... weird relationship with native cultures. At least they're sorta almost egalitarian, since all the Greek gods were just energy beings, The Devil is real and actually friendly, and a bunch of important historical figures like Solomon, Alexander the Great and Leonardo da Vinci were all one randomly immortal Highlander guy.

I kinda want to run a modern paranormal game where the PCs have to deal with an immortal polymath, an energy cloud that possesses people and turns them into Jack the Ripper, mysterious men in black types and their shapeshifting familiars who are guiding human civilization towards unknown goals, and creatures from the distant future that travel back to times of plague and disaster to feed on people's psychic energy undetected.

And see how long it takes the players to realize they're in a Star Trek campaign.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Angrymog posted:

Amazon rainforest too, iirc.

Also New Guinea and some parts of Indonesia - so it's actually plausible for a culture that lives on an island with orangutans! It's like they briefly did some research before going back to throwing in edgy bullshit!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

JcDent posted:

Species the RPG is one of those tie-ins where you have to create so much new poo poo to make it work that it barely resembles the source material. I think System Mastery covered it.

It's like making Looper the RPG.

What's weird about licensing Species is that Species is already a blatant rip-off of Alien. It's like paying money for the rights to make the official Transmorphers RPG - just rip off the big name property you really want directly, don't waste time with the license for someone else's knock-off!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I don't even understand how you're meant to deal with some of the rooms. Like, some it's just "You see a spooky thing and get creeped out", fine, and the players narrate the woman's reaction - but then there's stuff like the Game Room. Do you actually take damage from being stabbed, or is that just narrative? Can the fetish woman actually kill you? Can you fight her? Does she follow you out if you leave the room?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Room idea: The Workshop. It's full of bits of bone and mangled body parts, the remains of various half-assed attempts to make 'spooky' versions of everyday objects, abandoned by Bluebeard after he realized the idea wasn't really physically feasible.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

joylessdivision posted:

The Golconda stuff seems…I don’t know, not out of place but a bit of an odd choice to include. I understand it’s a major bit of setting lore that got an extensive bit of space dedicated to it in the 1e corebook, but it seems antithetical to who and what the Sabbat are, regardless of my pissing and moaning about them being yet another bureaucratic group. The Sabbat are supposed to be the ones fighting the Antediluvians and their influence, and embrace the new morality of being a monster, so why would they seek Golconda?

Honestly, Golconda in general seems like something from the first edition that they ended up stuck with even as it seemed more and more out of place as the setting developed.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

PurpleXVI posted:

One thing I personally really liked, and which I recall the Sabbat stuff being heavy on(though I think in V20 this just got rolled into the corebook), were the alternate morality paths. I liked that it was less "be a good Judeo-Christian" and more "have some sort of moral system to anchor your mind, even if that moral system is alien or evil," that it was about declaring that you weren't just going to be run by your base desires and urges(except, lmao, I think for like one or two paths that were LITERALLY embracing that), that there was a thinking, reasoning being inside of you, which grounded you away from the Beast.

Yeah, Paths were a cool idea, even if the execution didn't always work properly. And I think it added a bit of extra horror to the setting - the realization that clinging to your humanity wasn't keeping the Beast at bay because you were being moral, but just because it was giving you an identity separate from the hunt, and any identity could do the same thing, even if it seemed monstrous or insane to a normal person - and that once you survived your first few centuries, you'd probably end up going down one of those roads too.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Libertad! posted:

For example, the Shamir is a wormlike being whose mere gaze can cut through stone and metal, and Solomon used it for constructing the First Temple.

Found a picture of this happy little guy. Why didn't he become a staple D&D monster/magic item? Using a monster's gaze attack to solve problems seems remarkably like a PC's plan.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Guide to the Apocalypse kinda reminds me of the big problem I always had with the Matrix sequels - it takes a scenario that should be about spreading truth and bringing enlightenment to the masses and ends up just ignoring all the ordinary people in favor of the superpowered protagonists.

And I understand not wanting to make a campaign all about proselytism, but if you're doing the Book of Revelation, you kinda have to deal with that aspect. All the battles and boss fights are irrelevant if you're not actually breaking the Anti-Christ's hold on people; it's a bit of a phyric victory if Satan takes all the souls in Jerusalem down with him when you beat him.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

hyphz posted:

Shall we take a look at TIME Stories?

Wait, if the PCs are time travelers who are just possessing people in the past, why are they still affected by the host's mental illness or delusions?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Libertad! posted:

And the Chained Inn looks normal on the surface, but in reality its human owners take orders from the cats of the Council of Ninth Life, whose members hide in plain sight as they lounge about and purr, hearing secrets from loose lips of humans who figure them to be mere animals.

So no different from real-world Istanbul, then?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Gatto Grigio posted:

My personal favorite is Vampire Louis Pasteur from Alien Hunger, who exists only to A) turn the PCs into vampires, and B) then immediately get killed

And has been operating under a false name for centuries, so there is literally no way for the PCs to ever find out he was Pasteur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I wonder how a vampire named Edward so dorky he names his ghouls "Mina" and "Lucy" would do once Twilight comes out.