Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

On the other hand The Simpsons has been on for so long that the family hasn't even dealt with poor people problems in like 20 years.

Even if The Simpsons had ended when it was still good, it would have undoubtedly been rebooted by now anyway. So at least we still have the classic character design and they don't look like Teen Titans Go versions of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It's DENSE, it's GRANDIOSE, it's NOT spinning its wheels while they introduce 15 new main characters to the MCU, it's BREATHABLE

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm excited for #Kingo !

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmao imagining Alec Baldwin sitting in the audience during the "In Memoriam" montage at next year's Oscars

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i hope they make KINGO finger gun hands like the HULK or THING hands that were popular when I was in middle and high school. I just can't get enough Kingo!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Brian Tyree Henry is so good in Atlanta, honestly like one of the funniest comedic straightmen I've ever seen, and it truly pains me to see him keep getting put in mainstream crap like this lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dreylad posted:

who would seriously turn down disney/marvel money though

oh by all means, secure that bag. If I got offered a role in "Ant-Man 3: Termite Trouble" as "Guy with a tiny dick who shits himself", even if I was only making half of what he's getting to be in Eternals or Godzilla Vs Kong, it would be worth it just knowing you'd get residuals on it for the rest of your life.

But that being said, if you only know Brian Tyree Henry from his work in movies with budgets above $100 million, please check out "Atlanta" to see him do real acting!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I respect the dedication to never learning another piece of software after finding one that works for what you need

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

why is james gunn picking this fight is he butthurt that no one watched his antiimperialist suicide squad movie

he's Keith David and all of twitter is trying to make him put on the glasses

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the federal government has authorized the use of emergency FEMA funds to support The Eternals and will call in the National Guard if Kingo is threatened

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
this work of art takes a relationship that's obfuscated by layers of overlapping bureaucracies and reduces it to it's most basic form, which is not a valid critique because you're not addressing anything that literally happened in the real world so it doesn't count, it doesn't count because it's fake lalalalala

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I agree that 5 is the weakest season and you can feel it struggling to break apart from everything they spent years building to try and do something new, but I think 6 and 7 are still really good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

they have worms now.

they have worms now?

THEY HAVE WORMS NOW!

So I just stick my hand in the death-box-thingy? Okay, I guess this is happening...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

he told a story on a podcast (rip The Champs) about how his family had a full time driver and servant who would literally be served their meals on the floor of the home. like, on plates and stuff, but on the floor, while the family sat at the table. lol.

I remember him saying on Harmontown once that his take on the book "Ishmael" was basically "the west shouldn't help foreigners". And I always thought it was bizarre because, and I admit it's been awhile since I've read it, but my initial takeaway was more about how assuming Capitalism will continue to work because it has so far is an incredibly bold assumption to stake the future of the planet on, and that there is no guaranteed "success" when you take the order the west developed and push it onto a underdeveloped country.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Judakel posted:

has anyone gotten less of a return on method acting than jared leto?

I almost feel bad for him. Almost.

but it's also very funny to go so hard, trying so hard to outdo Heath Ledger like keeping a journal of things the Joker would think are funny that you're mailing your co-stars used condoms, for a movie that you end up being almost entirely cut from lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao

take THAT, Marty!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Serf posted:

boba fett is great because there's nothing to imply that he's as cool as people built him up to be. when i was a kid reading the comics i tried to explain it to my dad, who got me into star wars, and he was just like "all he did was get killed by han solo by accident" and at the time i couldn't understand why he didn't get it lol

even in the prequels they bring in jango fett who has a pretty clumsy fight with obi-wan and then gets his head cut off immediately towards the end. felt like at that point lucas was leaning into the joke

he's the beginning of the cool toy being more important than their actual story. idk why Batman needs to have a special Lava-resistant batsuit, DAD, I just know it looks better than the 8 Batmans I currently have.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

that riffing is on level that's frickin sublime

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmfao the execs are shocked!!! they're doing double back-flips and hitting themselves with big mallets because of how good KINGO is!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Kingo Kango Kongo I don't want to see his butthole, oh no no no.

They made things like the Atom Bomb
Phastos said "god what have I done?"
Marvel's Eternals!
Is very dense!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Crusader posted:

lmao this triggered some long buried childhood memory of my dad talking about how excited he was as a kid for abott and costello meet the wolfman

The dissolving barriers between IPs as a compensation for lack of creativity have spoiled us to the point where we can no longer appreciate a good crossover. Abott and Costello meet the Wolfman 1000 times a day in Fortnite, and they're all doing the Macarena.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kingo, he's like a brother to me!
e:gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Literally nobody except for hardcore Marvel nerds knew who the Eternals were until a few months ago, why would anyone clutch their pearls at them loving(?)

okay I guess we're gonna pretend like people haven't been clamoring for a Druig movie since the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies but go off

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

I finally got around to watching Malignant and lol

It went from a horror thriller to a campy splatter comedy in the space of a single scene

It's one of the funniest practical jokes I've ever seen

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Malignant was probably my fav film I've seen this year

It was basically a film I'd have rented at blockbuster as a teen

it's the sister film to Con-Air in that they are both direct-to-video scripts that are elevated by having the resources of a big studio movie. the final act of Malignant is, hands down, the best thing James Wan has ever done lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DesertIslandHermit posted:

MCU doing another mega-arc would be stupid. Thanos is done and Endgame was the peak.

Endgame came out in 2019, Iron Man came out in 2008. That's a decade of movies to move through their originally envisioned plot to the end.

They've got pressure to deliver another huge hit, because everything has to be compared against the benchmark of "why isn't this making as much money as what we did before?" and the fact that they're only going to lose people from here on out (this is an assumption, and I'm not saying it's going to happen in droves - I just mean that the audience for these movies has Maximized. There's no groups that haven't been exposed to these that you can pull in anymore.)

We're two years out from the last one, so I figure we have 4 more MAX before they attempt another big crossover mega-arc. If that one does moderately well, we'll get another 2-3 years after that. The cycle for these things works like a Radioactive half-life.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I love my gay dad, Phastos

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

people give a24 a lot of poo poo, some of it deserved, but what other studio is doing similarly high quality low/mid budget original/non-IP movies?

My only complaint about them is that the Midsommar: Director's Cut 4k Blu-Ray doesn't have any other features or the theatrical cut of the film. The packaging and art was really cool tho.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

you still buy blu-rays? lol

for stuff I've seen and already like, yeah

Xaris posted:

although i absolutely loved midsommar, easily one of my favorites of it's type and year, I didn't like the midsommar director's cut much. it kinda hosed up pacing and seemed to unneedlessly beat you over the head with CHRISTIAN IS BAD, GET IT? *bonk* HOW ABOUT NOW? no? *bonk*

there was maybe 1 valuable scene in it

Yeah I agree, the theatrical cut is superior. Christian works better as a character when he's not as overtly lovely, and his decisions seem to be coming from a place of never considering how his actions/lack thereof might affect the people around him.

I looked it up afterwards and basically every scene that was added was in the first act of the movie, and mostly Dani and Christian being a couple whose relationship is falling apart.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Judakel posted:

i've never seen cgi blood look good

The best it can possibly look is unnoticeable - it doesn't take you out of the movie by looking like fake, cgi blood.

Conversely, the best practical effects/squibs can possibly look is very noticeable and, even knowing that it is fake, fooling your mind into going "WHOA HOLY poo poo THAT GUY'S LEG GOT BLOWN OFF!!!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I come from a long line of Kingo's.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"I sense something. A presence I've not felt since... The Obi-Wan Kenobi Mini-Series Available To Stream Now On Disney Plus..."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I thought the muppets were like monster guys and animals, did they get confused and think Cousin Skeeter was one of their puppets?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they should get zack snyder to make a live action Evangelion next so we can all finally kill each other

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

oooh they'll come back... for KINGO!

there's one word on every consumer's lips this holiday season, and it's "Kingo"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

if it's true that they told him his first scene was gonna be a huge fight and then they changed it to a Bollywood scene after he'd roided himself out then I do feel a little bad for him

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anybody seen any good movies lately?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

i think shows having really bad endings is more of a result bizzare processes that studios impose on them in their production, where they want epic plotlines with raising stakes and also the traditional tv ability to bullshit around what the audience likes/performances from actors etc. like when westworld was rewritten because someone on reddit guessed the ending

I strongly agree. Two things to keep in mind about any production:
1. Film and TV are artworks of compromise - depending on how much creative control, there might be more or less. But there will still be compromises that have to be made with reality, time, etc. Unavoidable events happen that prevent the product on screen from matching exactly with what was initially envisioned. This isn't always a bad thing! Sometimes those compromises end up creating something better - a good example is that the character of Mike on Breaking Bad was invented solely because Bob Odenkirk had a scheduling conflict with the days the episode was supposed to shoot, so the scene with Saul Goodman was rewritten to be a scene with Saul Goodman's Fixer Mike. Compromise!

2. The Executives with whom people have to compromise in order to get these movies and TV shows made are absolutely some of the dumbest motherfuckers on Earth and have no idea what actually makes something entertaining. The fact that anything of quality makes its way through that filter to us is honestly kind of a miracle.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Big fan of Mark Knopfler here, too. I think I'm terminally dadbrained

Tunnel of Love is the best song about gambling addiction that also features the introduction of a guitar solo with "Check It Out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blister posted:

It's because Disney can get away without paying unknown actors streaming royalties in case they become big marvel stars. They're doing the same thing with Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel thing. It's a big reason why they canceled all the Netflix shows that had actors with some notability and started getting a popular following. Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones made many of the leads too popular, so by season two and three they had started negotiating royalties that netflix were fine with paying.

then the rights went to marvel and they were like nah we'll recast you in 7 years, so now echo is gonna be the new disabled hero and probably daredevil stand in until then.

this is tangentially related but: compare the Charlie's Angels movie from 2000 to the one that came out in 2019 (yes a Charlie's Angels movie came out in 2019).

used to be if you were doing a reboot of an old property, you'd load it up with star power. now they've gotta dilute it, there's not enough to go around to waste three A-listers on a Charlie's Angels. You get one Kristen Stewart and two nobodies. And don't you even THINK you're getting a Bill Murray supporting role, you greedy gently caress!