Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Twigand Berries posted:

My favorite part of WW2 shows is seeing how they really looked irl.
cpl robert "dogface" scruchton. He was 52 when he was 19. played by: Jaden Wussley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

tatankatonk posted:

does losing your faith after growing up in an evangelical christian household forever lock you into a 16-year old nu-atheist mindset towards all religion? hard to explain the cringe of goons otherwise
I think that the biggest aspect is goons, and very online people broadly, not engaging with stuff beyond vidya and eat hot chip. So there's like a flattening of human experience and they can't understand why someone would practice a religion or have politics that acknowledge some of the depth of human suffering.

the hosed up religious household stuff can totally destroy someone of course, and it makes total sense why someone would have a childish response to religion. or like being the target of religiously motivated homophobia their whole lives etc

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Whirling posted:

its pretty bad, speaking from personal experience!
yes, it really is. sorry.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Whirling posted:

no worries, I'll try to be less cringey about religion in general, sorry about that
You're fine. I was pretty fortunate in some ways but still became super repressed. re: my lgbtqi stuff: i broke out of a lot of internalized self-hatred and mental blocks by practicing buddhist meditation. So I kinda feel both ways about it.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

I haven't been to disney world in 24 years
i've only been to the good theme parks. like the one that shanghais international students with an internship that's just doing jantiorial work or groundskeeping, and makes them sleep in barracks

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't even remember what year that picture is from but I remember being so horrified and disgusted by it, just viscerally. I mean I still am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonatics_Unleashed posted:

Slam Tasmanian: Descendant of the Tasmanian Devil. Before the meteor hit the city, Slam was a fighter in a ring.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

exmarx posted:

shakeing my head at the extremely gullible cuck chair posts from several pages ago
when i read something about a cuck chair my first thought is: i gotta get to the bottom of this. the veracity of the cuck chair situation is realyl important to me.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Okuteru posted:

How does Bird know Kima is a Lesbian?
i just learned that the woman who played her was married to a white australian professional digeridoo player with dreadlocks who makes new age music for deepak chopra

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

it sucks rear end. Hank is shorter than Redcorn for one
https://imgur.com/a/PiJLk

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

simmons is a very tragic figure

When the king gets depressed, he doesn't call for his wife or the cook. He turns to the little man with the pointed hat and says to the court jester "make me laugh". And I am that court jester.

— Richard Simmons, Men's Health

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

we should make people undergo psychoanalysis for 10 years before allowing them to make children's cartoons imo

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Children's stories have been hosed up since forever, the world is cruel.
oh yeah totally. but the protagonist becoming the head of his enormous powerful robot mom struck me as a particularly weird look into the creator's psyche

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's the pop culture thread
everyone is supposed to be discussing robert bresson and alban berg in the pop culture thread. get with the program

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I watched Melancholia the other day. Is that pop culture

I thought it was good but too long.
i liked it a lot when I saw it ~10 years ago, but didn't particularly enjoy it when I caught part of it a while back. rich people poo poo is too psychically oppressive, and that's a big part of the point, but it makes a good chunk of the film kind of miserable in a way that isn't very interesting to me.

i loved the resolution at the end of recreating a more human experience. almost like they were finding shelter from the rich people stuff as much as the impact. and the tristan and isolde theme tied up with the rogue planet, and her love of life and longing for death was a really great motif

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Apr 12, 2024

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

i say swears online posted:

you won't watch fallout because it doesn't match the exact plot of the games

i won't watch fallout because it's too violent

we are not the same
I won't watch it as it contains fictional characters represented by actors. That doesn't seem very honest to me. Acting is basically lying.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

tristeham posted:

that'd be cool
I might make an arts and culture thread. maybe with a biweekly film or something

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

StashAugustine posted:

I was a little cold on the Tarkovsky one (as someone who loves Stalker and Andrei Rublev) but a lot of people like it, it's worth checking out
It's really good. Does a good job of making the fact that everyone is haunted by their psychological obsessions the point, instead of a drier scifi thing. Like the planet is a mirror, and it's very easy to get stuck in a personal hell when trying to study it

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Al! posted:

lmao just had a brief mental flash of data as freddie kruger
why would you want me to stop pursuing you through a series of increasingly hellish dreamscapes. i do not understand

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I rewatched black narcissus last night. i'm a huge fan of movies about a group of women having collective trauma meltdowns/going insane, and black narcissus is probably top five in that category. really beautiful visually as well

despite the movie still being entangled in imperial attitudes, i liked some of the subtle commentary. like why are they teaching illiterate children in the himalayas about warships instead of more useful things? and they're not even the ones doing it, it's a kid they found who knows english teaching them

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

ArmedZombie posted:

such a beautiful movie, visually and otherwise
yeah. i really like the positioning of them in between the worldliness of mr dean and normal life down in the valley, and the resolute, literally immovable holy man who is functionally useless. they're geographically up there with the holy man, but they're being torn apart in between those two worlds, like trying to have their cake and eating it too. I might track down the Rumer Godden book to see how those themes work more explicitly, it's right up my alley

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

oh no, i didn't see that he died back in february. going to listen to that

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's my second favorite piece of dumb bullshit i own
okay i'll bite. if that's runner up, what's the no. 1 piece of dumb bullshit?

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

that's pretty good. very of its time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

It has been a very long while so kinda talking out of my rear end here. But imo the third one doesn't really capture the book very well. the third book ties into the depths of tolkien's own struggles with war trauma and his religious practice, which is always a theme with frodo. but it reaches a head there, and the movie doesn't really have a feel for that. Which isn't necessarily a big problem but I don't think that the rest of the plot points in the third are particularly outstanding

I think the first movie captures the feel of tolkien the best and the second is fun adventure movie type stuff, with a big war setpiece that works really well.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Apr 26, 2024