Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

theflyingexecutive posted:

watching Chernobyl again and it's absolutely bananas that Mazin thinks it's anti-communist

it might have seemed that way at first but then covid happened and then it was more like "wow a large government addressed a problem and actually solved it, that's weird"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
did anybody say Mort? that's the only discworld i've read but i liked it a lot

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i didn't know rick and morty was part of Discworld, that's cool

it's a book for very high iq individuals, that's why i read it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i can never remember the show's title so i call it "apple space" and it makes my wife mad

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Some Guy TT posted:

i would also be mad if my spouse was refusing to make it clear whether they were talking about for all mankind or foundation

oh man i forgot all about foundation. we just call that one "boring" because gently caress that might be the most boring apple show, it's kind of impressive how much it beats the typical apple show formula in sheer boringness

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
lee pace and jared harris are always a good time whenever they show up in anything but i could not make myself pay attention to foundation

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm quite a "cinema buff" as they say, and i feel like if a movie of the biggest broadway smash hit since cats or whatever was due to release in six months there would have been a little news about it before now

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
there are lots of recent movies less than two hours, we just notice the longer ones because 2+ hours used to be more rare

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

yes they were

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

i say swears online posted:

those are tv shows and they're 68 minutes per episode now

maybe if you watch bad tv shows (Seinfeld and Frasier reruns are still 22 minutes)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

i say swears online posted:

lol is that show worth watching? my reddit-brain friends love it but it never jumped at me

the first season is alright and it just gets worse and dumber from there

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

which was worse: Glass Onion or The Menu

glass onion was worse because it was so far up its rear end about how clever it was

the menu was just boring

triangle of sadness was less a movie and more a mash of ideas pulled out of a bag, not bad but it feels like a tv pilot that got rejected that they cut into a feature film

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
glass onion spends the entire movie winking at you and nudging you. "isn't this fun?! we're having fun! this is a cheeky movie!" it's like whoever wrote it had no idea why people liked knives out and focused in on "wacky daniel craig! actors! they're acting!"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
but ultimately all of these movies achieved their purpose: tricking me into watching them

so it's hard to say what "good" and "bad" even mean

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

In Training posted:

They needed to cut like 20 minutes of explanation. They used to make similar tier mysteries every week on multiple network TV shows you don't need to be so precious about the format

yeah. also iirc(?) it farts away the whole mystery premise by going "oh you thought you saw this, well here's what actually happened!" like ok, you're right, i guess i did waste my time watching the first 75% of this movie

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
branagh's poirot mustache/facial hair thing is incredible

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i) what's the best 90s computer movie and ii) why would anyone say anything other than sneakers

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
jurassic park is a strong contender but the matrix is in human brains so we'd need an upper court ruling on if that counts

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

90s were so good and i dont care what fukuyama-rear end goon denies it as rose-tinted glasses. aughts/10s cinema sucks major rear end compared to 90s cinema

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

oh gently caress you might have me on that one

funny I just watched that the other night too

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
johnny mnemonic

hackers

lawnmower man

the net

hardware

existenz

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Justin Tyme posted:

master and commander (GOAT of dudes rock movies)

it's so good. im not brave enough to read the books (yet)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
watching stupid poo poo kicks rear end

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

god I miss Bill Paxton

he may have been in some bad movies(?) but he was always good in everything

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mr Hootington posted:

Dennis Quaid shpuld have died instead

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in honor of bill paxton i just watched Near Dark, which i had never seen

great movie, kathryn bigelow is really good at big macho guy stuff. it feels like james cameron ripped off the big gasoline truck sequence for terminator 2?

even the soundtrack (tangerine dream, very good btw) sounded very t2-y at times.

cameron maybe even stole the "make the scene very dark and blue" thing for t2? he should be investigated for his crimes

anyway Near Dark is very good, five bags of popcorn and a big glass of grape juice that looks like blood

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
not too long after my previous post I ended up on an episode of miami vice guest starring bill paxton

strong paxton vibes tonight

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

directed by eli roth and starring:

Cate Blanchett
Kevin Hart
Jack Black
Bobby Lee
Édgar Ramírez
Ariana Greenblatt
Florian Munteanu
Gina Gershon
Jamie Lee Curtis

what in tarnation

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i only played a borderlands for a little while back in the day until it got way too stupid (maybe an hour). all i remember is a robot talking at me like joss whedon

does borderlands have a story?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i liked when the one guy had the alien army group up to make a big computer with soldiers acting as transistors

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if airplanes are also living beings and world war 2 happened in the cars movies does that imply there is a living enola gay

are there alive b-52s that carpetbombed cambodia? who is kissinger in the universe

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

loquacius posted:

did they just skip over the 90s nostalgia straight from 80s to 2000s or what

I distinctly remember spending a lot of the 2010s thinking "the nostalgia probably should have moved on to the 90s by now, why is it still the 80s"

a large part of what people consider "the 80s" is really the early to mid 90s

all of that 2000-2010s butt rock (creed, nickelback, etc) was 90s grunge nostalgia

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The 90s was dominated by nostalgia for the 60s and 70s and the the 80s was dominated by nostalgia for the 50s, so it only follows that as we move forward these things are all gonna blend together as we start becoming nostalgic for the times we were nostalgic. Side note, this is how Frank Zappa predicted the world would end, with ever tightening loops of nostalgia for the previous moment.

"remember when we liked things" is a powerful force

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is this a safe space to express the opinion that the new season of fargo is good and that fargo is a good show

context i am a gigantic coen brothers fan. the only thing fargo has done wrong is they haven't weaved in any funny coen brothers references like big lebowski or burn after reading or barton fink

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

uber_stoat posted:

there are a ton of references, maybe not a lot of funny ones. but the bit where Indira finds her husband's side chick in the closet had to be a Burn After ref.

i forgot about that, good call

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Buck Wildman posted:

wtf are you on about. are you talking about the scene where they try to rape her

yeah i have a very different recollection of alien 3

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
alien 3 isn't good but it's not as bad as its reputation

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Buck Wildman posted:

the not-director's cut (the director disavowed the film so they had like the ultimate alien superfan do 3) turned it into my second favorite film behind the original. they also published the scrapped script william gibson did for it that I've been meaning to read

I still need to track that down and watch it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
like when his vampire super sperm almost kills her and she gives birth to a fully formed baby in a few weeks, or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if you go for YouTube premium enjoy google protecting you from music that mentions violence or self harm