Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Wars and Star Trek both operate under the logic that a planet is the size of a small town at most.

One planet all desert come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starfield was the funniest with this, where the presence of a single beach resort means that a long-lost generation ship must either be destroyed, or the passengers exiled or enslaved, because they can't possibly share the same, otherwise empty, planet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The generation ship also only had like 40 people on it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Dredd really owns

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Frosted Flake posted:

Starfield was the funniest with this, where the presence of a single beach resort means that a long-lost generation ship must either be destroyed, or the passengers exiled or enslaved, because they can't possibly share the same, otherwise empty, planet.
that's why it's ironically a good game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also turns out the passengers enjoy being enslaved, apparently.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

indigi posted:

Dredd really owns

It really did. It knew what it wanted to be and absolutely nailed it.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

honestly starfield makes me appreciate outer worlds more. I was too hard on the latter.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Karl Urban has been killer in so many franchises. LotR, Star Trek, Dredd, The Boys, Doom, soon Mortal Kombat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

Starfield is also the game where they just slap a pharmaceutical factory on Triton, with nothing and no else on the entire moon or Neptune system. Factories require inputs, customers, staff, provisions for the staff, so hey why not just put one all by itself. One pirate raid away from losing your investment, which has no support or reason to be anyway. Must have good insurance. Also you can land on Venus and there's a factory nobody gives a gently caress about there either, and oh you can land on Venus and have buildings and people, well pirates, on the surface and nobody elaborates as to why this can happen.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

the milk machine posted:

i'm quite a "cinema buff" as they say, and i feel like if a movie of the biggest broadway smash hit since cats or whatever was due to release in six months there would have been a little news about it before now

it should be a redbox exclusive. only on dvd, no blu-ray

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
deserves to be a thrift store television vcr recorded tape that also includes a Rugrats episode

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Aglet56 posted:

also this is fake

loquacius posted:

Yeah I've been confused by the reaction to this because it doesn't look real in the slightest

It’s real. Check the release date, it’s coming soon

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

indigi posted:

Karl Urban has been killer in so many franchises. LotR, Star Trek, Dredd, The Boys, Doom, soon Mortal Kombat

props to Karl for keeping the Judge helmet on the entire time in Dredd.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
watching Batteries Not Included and lol movies went so hard in the 80s. the entire intro scene is just hired gang toughs beating up people in their own apartments.

all of my favorite movies from that decade are based on "rich developer is displacing poor folks and there's a caper to save them" as the plot.

basically this and Blues Brothers I guess.

also: Brad Bird wrote this script

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Cardassians are English people and the humans of the 24th century finally decided enough was enough.

Yeah but the Maquis are space-Americans so it all balances out.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Was the whole “rich jerk buys the park/apartment/rec center/library we have to stop him!” plot that was so omnipresent in the 80’s and early 90’s an expression of the death of the American urban area? Usually you think about white flight, such as exemplified by the “Urban Crimepocolypse” genre but the “evils of real estate development” movies portray it more like people were unwillingly exiled from the cities.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

this is why I only play FATAL

I've been getting back to playing games with my Ps4 the last couple of years and I'm really proud of myself whenever I finish a game which is rare. Just beat Disco Elysium which was a loving ride, and currently enjoying playing the hell out of Devil May Cry 5 which is alot more fun than J thought it was gonna be (I thought it was going to be one of those Soul like games I've tried and quit due to the difficulty and aggravating nature of them).

I'm loving being 6 years behind everyone else here video game wise.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

galagazombie posted:

Was the whole “rich jerk buys the park/apartment/rec center/library we have to stop him!” plot that was so omnipresent in the 80’s and early 90’s an expression of the death of the American urban area? Usually you think about white flight, such as exemplified by the “Urban Crimepocolypse” genre but the “evils of real estate development” movies portray it more like people were unwillingly exiled from the cities.
I feel like that's more "capitalists come in like vultures to eat up the now vulnerable urban areas".

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

the only musical rn that doesn’t fit either of those archetypes, btw, is Days of Wine and Roses, which is adapted from a 60s film and which I, a musical liker, just heard of for the first time right now.
Hell of a movie, fascinating idea for a musical.Looks like it closes in a couple of weeks, so unless it’s extended no chance to catch it.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

is there any particular reason movies are always two hours long now? even if they only have 80 minutes' worth of content?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

an egg posted:

is there any particular reason movies are always two hours long now? even if they only have 80 minutes' worth of content?

Anything below 90 minutes isn't a "real" movie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

an egg posted:

LOTR, Titanic, and Avatar have a lot to answer for I think.

Go back to making Good Sci-fi Cameron you hack!!!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

an egg posted:

You'd think movies would follow the trend of social media videos getting shorter as people's attention spans contract, but they all seem to be going the other way. It can't be an important, blockbuster of a movie unless it comes in at least 2 hours long.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

an egg posted:

Everybody above the line will never be told no

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And with the massive budgets you'd think cutting a 2 and a half hour movie to a one and a half one, they'd save a poo poo load of money that you know, would mean the movie could more easily turn a profit.

I think it comes down to movie producers seeming to be some of the dumbest fuckers on the planet. If one movie is successful, just copy it exactly till that format stop making money.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
there are lots of recent movies less than two hours, we just notice the longer ones because 2+ hours used to be more rare

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the milk machine posted:

there are lots of recent movies less than two hours, we just notice the longer ones because 2+ hours used to be more rare

no they werent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the milk machine posted:

those are tv shows and they're 68 minutes per episode now

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

when you were younger you watched more kids movies which are generally shorter

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

i say swears online posted:

Season 4 Episode 9 of Stranger Things was two and a half hours.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

yes they were

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Season 4 Episode 9 of Stranger Things was two and a half hours.

lol is that show worth watching? my reddit-brain friends love it but it never jumped at me

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nope

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

maybe if you watch bad tv shows (Seinfeld and Frasier reruns are still 22 minutes)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

lol is that show worth watching? my reddit-brain friends love it but it never jumped at me

the first season is alright and it just gets worse and dumber from there

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

First season is really good, but like the first episode of it gives you a pretty decent idea of the tone, so if you watched that and weren't interested then yeah, just not for you.

After first season, still enjoyable, but never really re-catches the highs of the first season, and it's very obvious it's really trying to.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a lot of sub 2-hour movies coming out it's just that blockbusters are usually not those and that's what people talk about/plays the most at theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This afternoon I am gonna see Fallen Leaves which is only like 80 minutes long. I know nothing about it but people I trust have said it's good, and at that runtime how can I not?