Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

Why do I feel like Tenn is gonna give UF fits this weekend? Is that natural? Are the UF goons feeling the same way?

lmao have you watched us play?

e: gently caress Florida tho

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

Is it that much different from last year when yall dropped a W on #12 Kentucky?

Auburn would’ve been the better example I think but yeah, this feels like a completely different team. Last years team likely beats GSU and BYU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

Tennessee @ Florida is at noon. Feels weird.

Saw that and thought the same thing

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

ND vs Bama we spent in a bar in Guam. We got there 2hrs before the game, and a giant group of ND fans had already set up a shrine and were loudly talking poo poo.

I hate bama, but that day I had to root for them. When the game was over, they walked over to the table and demanded to know what our names were and what command we were at so they could speak to our CO about our conduct.

The reason? We cheered when alabama scored. Nevermind the fact that these guys, every single one of them navy and air force officers, were literally doing sprints around the bar waving flags and screaming in people's faces for loving hours. We dared cheer against ND so we had to be punished.

gently caress Notre Dame.

Would your or any CO have given a poo poo about this?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alright it's Wednesday and i'm antsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpePQ6FCkM

gently caress Florida

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

espn posted a ut kiffin retrospective, which is fine, but what i really want to know is what happened at the sun bowl

I liked this part

quote:

"I always say that it's like that relationship where there's a breakup and then people are mad at each other, and then years later, they start remembering the good things instead of the bad things," Kiffin said. "I have a lot more good things than bad things I remember about my time at Tennessee."

Kiffin is convinced that the Vols would have won championships had he stayed. Walls agrees but was unable to avoid taking a playful shot at his former coach.

"Oh, yeah, we were going to win some championships, no doubt," Walls said. "We might have had to give some of them back, but we were going to win some."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regnevelc posted:

ABInBev is giving him a year worth of beer too.

Wait for iiiiiiit......

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone said that the gator chomp was like saluting hitler and cupping his balls at the same time and that just tickled me real good

Scarf posted:

I mean if they give him the choice of any brewery under the InBev umbrella... hell of a deal. They've bought out some fantastic breweries in the last few years.

Oh yeah I know there’s always that one hero though that jumps in talking about how light beer is water etc

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I knew it’d be some low effort response

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Tennessee will never be good as long as Georgia, Clemson and Bama are locking down all the talent from Florida, Georgia, SC/NC, Bama and Tennessee.

Also they can't seem to recruit nationally anymore the way Fulmer could. They always had a good QB from Florida or California or somewhere other than Tennessee.

When I was in high school like every top flight OL/DL/LB in SC and NC would end up at UT or FSU.

Also a lot of this applies to UF to a slightly lesser extent.

What? In this past years class we got:

Darnell Wright - #10 player nationally, #2 OT overall, #1 in WV
Wanya Morris - #28 player nationally, #6 OT overall, #1 in GA
Henry To’o To’o - #44 nationally, #3 ILB overall, #1 in CA
Quavaris Crouch - #61 nationally, #3 OLB overall, #1 in NC

Four kids that were the #1 player at their position in their state (and overall in Wright’a case)

Bunch of other kids that are 4* at their position that are from GA, TN, PA, and NC.

Next years class has the #1 QB in GA/#4 nationally already committed and a few 4* from Kansas, Maryland, GA and TN.

Pruitt is doing just fine with recruiting close to home and nationally considering what a poo poo show we’ve been. Recruiting will get even better if he can start winning.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I gotta be honest i thought Jeremy Pruitt would be panning out a bit better. Doesnt seem like poo poo should be this bad.

I mean it’s been a year +3 games. I’m not ready to count him out yet. All his kids he’s brought in are freshman and sophomore. Most anyone good Butch brought in has left the program via graduation or transfer. Aside from the receivers all the best talent are young and raw. He didn’t even get a full recruiting cycle his first year. He pulled a top 25 class with like a month of recruiting time, if that.

Nobody expected to lose to GSU and BYU but I think both of those are outliers instead of what is going to be the norm. And as was mentioned BYU is looking like it might not be as bad of a loss as it first looked.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 19, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I never said you guys haven’t recruited somewhat well, but the depth isn’t there and y’all haven’t had the pick of the southeast the way you did like 95-05—not to mention how many classes have been rated highly and haven’t panned out.

Kiffin bailing after a year probably set your program back like ten years on top of everything else.

I mean I clarified all of that in my post. And coincidentally it's been 10 years since Kiffin left, which seems crazy.

A lot of kids that Butch recruited either weren't coached up or left the program through graduating or transfer. Pruitt has really only had one full recruiting cycle and has pulled great classes, considering. Both of the classes he signed were full of highly rated kids from the Southeast and nationally. You set the parameters of saying what Tennessee/Pruitt isn't able to do:

LeeMajors posted:

Tennessee will never be good as long as Georgia, Clemson and Bama are locking down all the talent from Florida, Georgia, SC/NC, Bama and Tennessee. Showed recruiting is pulling top talent from the SE still.

Also they can't seem to recruit nationally anymore the way Fulmer could. They always had a good QB from Florida or California or somewhere other than Tennessee. Showed he's able to recruit nationally and has a commit from a good QB not from Tennessee.

When I was in high school like every top flight OL/DL/LB in SC and NC would end up at UT or FSU. Showed he's recruited OL/DL/LB from other states, though not specifically SC/NC

We haven't had our pick because we've been dogshit for a decade and in that same time other teams have gotten markedly better, which leads to better recruiting. I'm not saying we will any time soon but as you mentioned we pull consistently good/great classes, they just haven panned out. But I also think a lot of that is on Dooley/Butch and their coaching kids up. It's either not hard to recruit to Knoxville or even Butch/Dooley and their staffs were great recruiters. We do have great facilities so it's probably a combo of both.

Depth will come with more time. It's also tough on both sides of the ball - the offense (and by extension Guarantano) has had 3 different OCs the past 3 years and the Defense just completely changed schematically. Shoop ran a 4-3/4-2-5 while Pruitt/Sherrer run a 3-4 style. I can't imagine that's easy on the kids.

Your statement that we'll never been good as long as the other teams are locking down talent is true, but they're not and there's talent to be had. If/When we start winning again the recruiting will get better, the depth will get better etc.

All that to say is just the reasons I'm not bailing on Pruitt yet, though I know people who are. It's incredibly hard to completely change a program the way he needs to. If we're having this same conversation in 3-4 years then yeah something is probably wrong but I'm not giving up yet.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 19, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was pretty disappointed about the leach thing. If we weren’t gonna be good at least he’s entertaining. I like Pruitt but he’s boring as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Is Lovie still coaching Illinois?

https://www.offtackleempire.com/201...ie-smith-satire

quote:

Lovie Smith Fired as Defensive Coordinator by Illinois Fighting Illini Head Coach Lovie Smith