Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gonna play this game...soon hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Stickied as Game of the Month

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:siren: Thread project: post character creator builds that would match personalities of famous tv/movie detectives. :siren:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 16, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

This game. This loving game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, I made a fool of myself in front of my entire police department...and then doubled down on it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm about to end day 1 and I have a question about the mechanics - how long into the in-game night can I play? I know that almost every NPC will be gone by 2 am but I want to go exploring. Can I just not sleep at all or will I pass out in the street or something? Are there consequences for not sleeping enough?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Have you all played Cart Life? It's not an RPG but it's an excellently written economic game that explores themes that no other game goes for (social isolation, poverty, fighting for your child against divorced spouse, growing old) but it can be really depressingly soul-crushing in ways that even DE doesn't reach. The author made the game free a few years after its release. It features pixelated graphics which may not be in everybody's taste but it's really worth giving it a chance.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ytlaya posted:

Going to start playing this tonight. I usually read the negative reviews about a game to get a good feel for how it might be, and the negative reviews for this make me optimistic (they seem to frequently consist of people complaining about not being able to control failure and save-scumming, which implies that the negative reviews are from people who just expected a more traditional isometric RPG game).
All negative reviews of this game I read were idiotic. Don't get me wrong, the game can be criticized. It's just that 100% of the reviews I read are either complaining the game isn't a real RPG or that if a game starts with an amnesia trope then the writing can not be considered good no matter what happens afterwards, them's the rules. One review complained that at 25+ hours the game is too short for an RPG and therefore not worth buying.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hogama posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/21/steam-charts-free-diving-edition/
Disco Elysium was apparently the top grossing Steam game of the week (not counting Destiny 2 as a "whole" entry because it would have otherwise been).
Also topping GOG's best selling, too.
I hope it makes billions

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat lady, reality is weirder than I expected.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Man, I want to finish the game on my current build but I'm not extremely consistent in my answers to people, like sometimes I'm a commie and sometimes centrist, sometimes a nihilist or something else - I don't know how this really influences my playthrough.

I'd also like to play through the game with all 3 dev-made builds to see what kind of rides they prepared for us but then also try out some specific gimmick builds. But that's not realistic, it's too many! I don't even know how different those playthroughs would be and if it's worth it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You seem really confused. You should do some speed to help clear your head.
gently caress, I literally just declined that thought.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think I'm going to start a parallel run with a no-brains all-muscle, all-substance abusing true commie who strongly believes in the supernatural.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

One thing I can criticise this game for is how much resources it chugs while running. Metro: Exodus is not this extreme, I don't know what the hell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I feel like this game would benefit if there was no way to manually save (with more frequent auto-saves) and also dialogue options would just disappear instead of getting greyed out. It would make the decisions feel that more final. I know that you can just, you know, not do it but it's psychological. This would require for the game not to break down and not have a couple of unwinnable situations though (like having not enough money at the end of day 2).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't like that the skill points apply to both abilities and thoughts. It would be better if you got a separate point in both with every level up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Welp, I read a postcard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just roleplay as a boring cop (this isn't an insult, just a character type). Choose a build that focuses on rational thinking and observation, choose a signature skill that represents that the most to you. Then decline any 'irrational' thoughts that come up or politics if you want. The game will call you out on any choice you make anyway but those are logical complaints and there's enough procedurals and observation to fill the rest of the gameplay

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

cool new Metroid game posted:

In my first playthrough I failed at punching out Measure Head , failed at the jump for the alternate route into the docks, completely missed the drunk dude and his card in the hostel and didn't wanna subscribe to Measure Head's advanced racial theories so I spent the first three days doing other poo poo. When I finally managed to get in to the docks by nailing the jump that I had failed like 3-4 times before it was day 3 and Everett told me everything about the lynching without me having to do his door unlocking sidequest. He said he wanted me to do it but the time had passed for it.
I think DE has a lot more alternative routes and reactions to rare player decisions than we suspect. I wonder what happens when you actively works against the game for example by not getting into the investigation at all for days. All the smaller and bigger differences are fascinating.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I feel like it's really surprising that instead of paying for the second hotel day you can't just sleep on a bench and thus switching your character to hobocop. In a game with such a reactive world to even the worst decisions the devs openly saying that at that point you need to reload a previous save (not even a game-over screen, you're just...stuck) is really weird. I mean, it's a game with anti-capitalist dialogue options, the dialogue with the hotel owner even lets you say you'll manage on your own and don't need a room, you can even piss him off to a point where he should be throwing you out.

You can walk around in just your pants, take bribes, get shitfaced on drugs, gently caress up every step of the investigation and still go on but you HAVE to pay for a hotel??? Seems like something that MUST have had an in-game resolution, it's inconsistent on the level of being a glitch, I don't get it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fangz posted:

It's a game with anti-capitalist themes so the player has to exist in capitalism. Giving a way to just exist outside of capitalism from the start without having to collect garbage, take bribes, sell your partner's stuff would basically undercut several of the conflicts in the game. Perhaps it would be been more elegant for the game to just kill you in the night if you try to stay outside.
I agree with the overall theme but putting the foot down at the hotel bill of all places with no in-game resolution doesn't feel right. The game already communicates what you're talking about in different ways. At the same time you can survive a night without a bed, there is a hobocop archetype in-game, everything is set up for this to be an option. If they let me freeze to death if I slept outside or have me face other in-dialogue consequences later I'd agree that DE is making a point about it but instead...nothing happens, reload the previous save answers the creator. This isn't some grand ideological realization moment in a game with variety of alternative options for way more dire/capitalist situations. You can communicate the same concept in a variety of ways and the game does it as well so I'm not buying it. It feels like an oversight.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 1, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

chaosapiant posted:

Probably The Witcher 3 and maybe Planescape?
Two The Witchers 3s as DE's script is more than twice as long while keeping its quality throughout.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm thinking of making a gang tag for this game. Any ideas?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Looks good?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It looks like the first wave got through. Big thanks to LITERALLY AN ADMIN for dealing with this madness :f5:

EDIT: Also let me know if something got really hosed up with your title in the process. It's a lot of titles so a mistake may slip through.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 5, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hardened monster hunter: hey random stranger, I know the end of the world is going on but - care for a round of Gwent?
Galaxybrain hobocop: hey random citizen, I know a major murder case is going on but - can you spare some change?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, this is the cutoff point for the gangtags, everything before this post has been sent to admins for processing.

I'm glad so many of you guys wanted one :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I rolled dice on whether to give a gangtag to people who were late for it.

Check Success

Lucky bastards.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mayman10 posted:

You seem like someone who has money gangtags, wanna help out a down on his luck cop?
Let's see...

*rolls dice*

Your Rhetoric must be incredibly high.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I haven't read the actual interview earlier:

quote:

"We have an insanely ambitious list of projects we want to make in the Elysium setting," Kurvitz said. "The last one I want to make, when I'm 50 or 60, that I want to absolutely go crazy on and throw out all commercial considerations and get this as conceptual as possible, is the tabletop setting. The working title for the tabletop setting is You Are Vapor. It will be a really, really, crazy pen-and-paper game."
Yesss to them wanting to obsess over this game-world for a long time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On this playthrough I decided to listen to the failed authority check all the way through when first talking to Titus. Welp, that sure showed them who's boss.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Arist posted:

There's a line that made me bust a gut, but the circumstances for seeing it are so specific I heavily doubt most of you know it: during one of the confrontations with Titus, if you fail a check (probably Half Light), there's an option to ask Kim for his gun. If you follow through with that, you discover that you're being goaded to put the gun in your mouth, at which point the only option you can select is "But I want to point it at them!" And then you get a response along the lines of "oh, it's too late for that, buddy. No stopping this train."

And then Kim pulls you aside and asks what the gently caress.

there's a possiblity at that point to actually put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger "to prove a point" which gets you a game over and a newspaper article about an insane cop that killed himself in front of a group of poeple.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On one hand I agree that in the original it felt that the character traits were more like separate party members that you got to choose to "take" with you and give more importance to by leveling them up and now having the same voice for all of them makes this concept kinda disappear.

On the other hand...it also felt ok in the video, more like a narrator reading a book, less depth to the premise but still felt enjoyable so I don't see this as a huge problem.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, I think I know what was bugging me about it - it just doesn't sound like Harry's inner monologue voice at all. It's a book narrator, a nice book narrator for sure but it's an outer voice, of an observer from the outside, a semi-neutral being. That's why the explaination about the posterior neocortex sounds so silly because that's not what impression it makes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What kind of cop are you? (click for freaking huge)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sekenr posted:

Do you have more of huge DE art? Displate doesn't ship to my country I have to make do
I took those from the Artstation page of ZA/UM's art director: https://www.artstation.com/rostovjanka

Sadly, there aren't that many others available but then there's this :getin::

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There's some good fanart out there.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Son of Rodney posted:

Disco Elysium - Say one of those fascist or communist things or gently caress off