Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

He meant to say the game is conceited.

Dude, you and Jim Sterling convinced me that this game was some like, Fallout style 'moral choices' RPG, but with Bioshock style 'well actually, liberals can be just as bad as conservatives!', (I mean, Jim Sterling lead me to believe that more than you did, but your posts made me think that was actually the case) but this game is good! You should play more of it, it gets way better when you get to day two. I'm in the middle of day 2, and after not liking my first character, and thinking I permadied, I just rolled a random character and then I leveled up Inland Empire the most, I'm not sure how many times, but maybe 4 in addition to what I already had so it's by far my highest stat. So I'm excited to do whatever the check it is that's spoilered.

Is there any way to play this with a controller? I was gonna wait to play this on PS4 when it comes out on console, but I can't wait.... I assumed there might be some Steam controller configurations for a DS4 though, but I'm a noob console gamer who doesn't know about these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh ok, good. I was gonna add that how much you like the game also probably depends on how much you like communism.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
There's always another racist (post).

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Are there any skills that you’d recommend against investing too many points into? I know that there’s not really a wrong way to play this game, but I’m like near the end of day 3 and at the beginning of my playthrough I just died like 3 times and re rolled a character (I went into the game blind and basically didn’t know what I was doing, so I kind of regret not putting points into some things now that I know what they are, or basically just role playing more), and I have Inland Empire leveled up the most with like 11 points now, and I was wondering if that was kind of a waste, even though I enjoy the stuff that Inland Empire has lead to with certain checks. However, I was watching that Gamespot video which is really good btw, and I was curious about some skills and Google lead me to their guide for the skills, and also because at the end it says how it’s almost never actively checked which also made me rethink my stats, or if some were just maybe a lot less useful to level up at the beginning of the game at least, but it says this about Inland Empire:

“ Inland Empire is the measure of the player-character's knowledge of the inner workings of the government. This is subtly different from the Encyclopedia skill. Where Encyclopedia is more about history and events long before the player-character's time, Inland Empire is more about the “here and now” of the different organizations involved in the plot.
Inland Empire is almost always passively checked and, if successful, will provide the player with more information on the current events of different organizations. It's almost never actively checked and will only rarely open up new dialogue options”

And uh that seems really incorrect? Either that, or even with Inland Empire being my highest stat by far, I still don’t know poo poo about the government, if my conversation with the Sunday friend/bureaucrat is any indication. Btw, the one thing that seems inconsistent with the writing (or consistent since I’m not sure what it means), but Kim laughing at you seemingly not knowing that that guy is gay, and his ‘Sunday friend’ is someone he’s hooking up with? It’s not even a bad thing, but it said like three times ‘Kim laughs quietly and tries to hide it’, or something like that, and then you’re given like three choices to guess what a Sunday friend is, or what it is about him, or why his shirt has one button open... etc.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I know that, I was half joking with the question about it being a twist that it’s actually about the government, but yeah I mean I leveled it up a few times because I think it’s cool, and assumed it was a Lynch reference. It even says something about being able to change reality and experience a dream-like state, etc. I was just like, how did Gamespot get it that wrong, and is there even any stat that is about knowledge of the inner workings of the government?

Jove posted:

Holy poo poo this is the best game I’ve played this decade gently caress sekiro

The game journos all say 2019 wasn’t that great of a year for games, but I think it was amazing, and at least two of my favorite games of the decade came out last year, Sekiro and Outer Wilds. This game is also amazing so far, I can’t wait to see what happens.

Ragnar34 posted:

The surest sign that Harry is genuinely unwell is that he thinks he lives in a world where you can get out of rent by engaging your landlord with a discussion on how money is in fact bullshit.

Well, I think there’s many other things that tip you off to that, including how you try to ‘slip away’ by running across the room and jumping, turning in mid air and flipping him off, with both hands. And also basically landing on an elderly woman in a wheel chair, which is a lot more worrying than how he starts to talk about money being bullshit, which is something one might say when they have absolutely no money and need to pay for their room for the night...

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 13, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Ok cool, that’s what I thought for the most part, but good to know that 6 is a good number for everything. I just have a lot of things to do, but I feel like I’m doing well and doing the main plot stuff fairly quickly even though I feel like it took a while to ‘get my poo poo together’. But still, my stats are quite low and most of them in intellect and motor is are pretty low and I kind of want to start over, but at the same time I want to complete this play through. Also, it seems like the white checks are pretty varied, but I’m about to get the body down I think, the only reason I haven’t is because I somehow failed an Inland Empire check that was 97%, so I figured I’d go talk to the Hardie Boys and Klaasje next and see if anything else comes up before I proceed. Also I assumed that it wasn’t, but is everything that’s listed as a task required? I thought it was but I just realized that internalizing Measure Head’s race theory is one of them and I knocked him out instead. Is it simply there to list what you what you have completed/what you can do on certain days, or after a certain time, or basically is there any way to know what’s more of a main quest type thing, besides just assuming what is and isn’t based on conversations you have with Kim?

Also interesting to see that some people are on day 7 and others are at the point of no return by day 4, so I might be closer to the end than I thought

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 13, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

TommyGun85 posted:

I cant find the karaoke song anywhere. What skill do you need to find it?

You can get it by Wednesday, not sure if you need any skills or pass a check to find it, you just have to talk to Lena and tell her you'll find Morell, or check out the area behind the pawn shop and examine the broken water way thing. There's a tape that's easy to find if you look around the area immediately across the bridge at all.

Although when I sang it my ancient reptilian brain sang it, but I've seen a video where your limbic system can sing it?

Also, as a weirdo who likes to record poo poo with contact mics and make field recordings to use in my Anodic disco tracks (or whatever you wanna call them, man), that little conversation you have with the girl who's freezing outside recording stuff with the contact microphone on the ice is really dope. I think it only happens if you pass a white, maybe even a red check and I had a kind of low chance of passing, but she starts to tel herself how stupid it is what she's doing, but Harry's like 'you see this?' *points to tape recorder and microphone* 'You can do *anything* with this', or something a lot less cheesy and tells her that it's really cool what she's doing, which encourages her and convinces her that it is indeed cool and she shouldn't give up. It was absolutely heartwarming and in a game I could already relate to more than any other game with a choice based dialogue system that results in different outcomes, it was extremely cool and felt like an actual personal moment between me and an NPC.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 14, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, maybe it was some check that I wasn't aware of, although it probably wasn't perception as mine's awful. Where do you find him, in that general area? I say it's easy to find because I haven't fully explored it and found the tape (which is called like, 'The Smallest Church in something', but it was under a house, or at least somewhere around where the two women are that Evrart asks you to find and sign the papers for the youth center) but it's right around the entrance to the fishing village.

I feel like an absolute scumbag, I convinced that older woman to sign the papers Evrart asked me to..

imhotep fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 14, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh my bad, for some reason I thought they were tied, and I haven't found him yet. But yeah I thought I mentioned that it was in the fishing village either way. And like I said, my perception is really low, like 2 or 3, but maybe it's tied to another stat.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

twistedmentat posted:

Oh no, as i said i've done this a few times and every dialog has been slightly different. Just that drat kid. God drat i wanna punch him.

Go on pig, fuckin' punch Cuno!

this guy is gonna point the gun at Cuno.

Also, yeah re: Evrart, I realized that he's not meant to be 'evil', or the villain necessarily, but I still had to trick her into signing it, she mentions hating him, and also Evrart responds to your concerns by saying something like 'oh it's only 6 months of construction noise day and night that they have to deal with, they'll be fine', so I felt bad about the whole lying to her to pass an empathy check then getting her to sign it right after she explained why she didn't like him.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rosalind posted:

Regarding Sunday friend:

I think I had a different experience with him compared to others because I managed to run into him fairly early on in my investigation--before I got the body down or gained access to the docks--so the insight that the lynching was like them putting on a play was my first real clue that the hanging was staged and that the victim was already dead. In that sense, he did a ton for me.

Same, or I think I might’ve done it right after examining the footprints, but either way I did them both around the same time so both of these things confirmed this for me too.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Listen, I like Danganronpa AND Disco Elysium, but I know that Disco Elysium is far better, obviously, but Danganronpa isn't trying to do anything nearly as uh intrepid as something like Disco Elysium, and know it's just funny, stupid, mindless entertainment.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 23, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
So have ZA/UM given updates as to exactly what they're currently working on? Because they're porting the game to consoles, but I wonder if that will coincide with the DLC releasing, because it seems like it would've been doable by now. I've also been wondering why they didn't announce a Switch port, it could definitely run the game, but maybe they chose not to because playing it in handheld mode wouldn't be that great? I don't know, but I'm going to buy it on PS4 so I can play with a controller.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I was going to say 428 Shibuya Scramble is pretty weird from the little I’ve played of it, and I’ve seen two Twin Peaks references, like one of the characters is named Leland Palmer and the name of a coffee shop I think also references the show, plus I’ve only read good things about it and reviewers loved it, it got on a lot of year end lists and got perfect scores at some outlets. I want to play it again, but I have it on PS4, but I should have got it for PC or something, or I wish there was a Switch Port, or a mobile version.

Someone in the comments of that YouTube video mention scenes from the night before, and said they were new? I wasn’t sure if that was the night before or if it was just stuff I hadn’t seen in my play through.
Either way I hope with this they release it on PS4 and Xbone soon, I neeed controller support. Someone else mentioned new animations too.
Actually I take it back, I *do* want a Switch version, it would be great for replaying it which I’m sure I’ll be doing multiple times.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Wow I thought I hadn’t closed a tab and had a Boiler Room DJ set playing in the background but it was this song: https://youtu.be/7-TncOSX-pY I’ve been trying to find it for a while

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I've never played Planescape Torment, but this thread has brought it up loads, and I just found out that it's on the Switch, along with Icewind Dale, which I've never heard of. Is it worth playing now, having never played it, or any old RPG like that? Obviously I love Disco Elysium, but yeah, I'm looking for stuff like it now that I've beaten Disco Elysium. Edit: Oh and there's Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but again, haven't played them, have no idea what any of them are like.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Every time I had the choice to accuse someone of owning the mug I did and it was worth it. I didn’t make the connection to Gary and the house Evrart gives you the key to, because I didn’t talk to him in the Whirling until like 4 days later. I like how the racist Lorry driver thinks it’s hilarious and doesn’t seem to realize that you’re accusing him of being racist.

the only bug I ran into in the game was Kim having dialogue when he wasn’t with me, and it was strange because it suggested I come back with Kim for at least one or two dialogue options. It might’ve just been because I went to the fishing village for the first time right after he takes the body, which was the first time I went out without him.

Xanderkish posted:

Planescape is compared continually to Disco Elysium for very good reasons. That being said, it is bogged down a bit by some outdated RPG mechanics, primarily with combat. For me, it's not a deal breaker, and I've played it several times already.

It's also less about topics like politics and mental illness and more about subverting RPG tropes, but I still think the quality of writing is top-notch and gripping.

Entorwellian posted:

Planescape Torment is closest to Disco Elysium. Icewind Dale does have a good story but it's less about choice and all about combat, and you probably wouldn't like it as much.
The Baldur's Gate series is half and half.

Ok cool, I’ll definitely get them if they go on sale, cause both bundles are like 50 bucks. Seems like they’d be dirt cheap on PC tho, given how old they are.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I don't know why you wouldn't choose to sleep, Kim is like, 'You're literally bleeding everywhere and this is super important, so you should rest", in a very 'this is the point of no return' type of dialogue, that he gives you before you find Ruby.

Anyone playing HARDCORE! mode? I'm enjoying it, it's not too bad, interestingly I've already got like 7 thoughts that I didn't get in my entire first playthrough, and I've just finished day one. I've also been playing in a way that I think is 'intended', because I was just too cautious and safe, besides the more innocent jokey options, so it's interesting seeing how different some stuff plays out. Like I threatened Garte so I didn't have to pay for the room by accusing him of... raping Sylvie (I'm... sorry, like, irl I'm sorry cop, but this time I'm just going to be a superstar/corrupt cop). Also, I actually failed the check with the ball game that Rene and what's his name are playing, which is actually the correct way to play the game and the dialogue is incredible, I'm paraphrasing poorly, but it's like "It feels bad, your motor skills just failed you. It's bad, like you touched your sister's breast. You just touched your sister's breast", even though they're telling you you did great and you just keep thinking about how much you suck.

Holy poo poo, am I the only one who didn't realize at all that the 'right to work' scab is also one of the mercenaries... and I also didn't think about the cops in the cafeteria for some reason, even though I should've realized there's something up with other RCM officers being in Martinaise at all, and obviously you worked with him and he hates you, which I got, I just didn't think about what they were actually doing there.

Also, how do you get Joyce to talk to you about the Pale? And is it possible to get every item of clothing, because I want to try that this playthrough,

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone just gave me $100. I checked my $$ and it is in the billions. Did the game glitch or am I super rich? I saved and had to log out for a bit. Kinda in shock. Did not expect that. Also didnt expect to hit to sub 40 rolls in a row.

You better buy that lamp post.

Also that guy gave me money, but it appeared as 100.00 or whatever and not a billion.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It'd be cool if when you deputize the junior detective he gets a lil cowboy sheriff star that says his name on it. I mean, I didn't end up getting that ending, and when I replay it on PS4 when it comes out on consoles, I'm going to do every god drat thing I can to protect Kim, but if something happened at least I get to see what the stuff after that is like with your new partner.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Interesting that the moralist thought cabinet option, "Kingdom of Conscience" raises your logic and volition caps to 5, which feels a bit odd to me, the more appropriate effects are the learning debuff, -2 to halflight, and choosing moralist options after you've internalized it heals morale by 1.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nosfereefer posted:

If you have a hard time figuring out moralism, its because you're a centrist yourself.

hey, i got what moralism was during my playthrough, the discussion about it in here made me look at the Kingdom of Conscience thought because I'd never seen it before and I was just thinking about how weird the bonuses were.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nosfereefer posted:

how do you feel about price stability?

That's a pretty broad question, but I think I know what you're getting at because economic instability has been an issue with working class people throughout Soviet/Russian history, even recently as well, causing the working class to distrust democracy and free markets, and arguably one of the any things that lead to the collapse of the Soviet Union. However, as someone who doesn't know poo poo about economics and who lives in the US, I'm just worried about like, free healthcare and education among other things and can't really give you an answer that I'm satisfied with, myself.

Wafflecopper posted:

Is it really that much of a cliche? I can name three video games and one movie (Disco Elysium, Planescape Torment, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Memento) that do it. There's probably other examples I've forgotten or am unaware of, but I feel like it takes a bit more than "has been done before a handful of times" to be a cliche when pretty much every plot device imaginable has been done before at this point

It kind of is in RPGs, not saying it's bad, but I feel like a ton of FF games, V, VI, VII and probably more but those are the only ones I've played, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, maybe more. I've just been playing Bayonetta, and while the story made my eyes roll into the back of my head, she has amnesia at the start, Bioshock was free on PS Plus so I started one of them then deleted it, he's got amnesia, in The Last Guardian when you wake up in the cave with Trico you have no idea how you've gotten there plus you have a shitload of tattoos all over your body, Breath of the Wild...

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 8, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nosfereefer posted:

we've got a live one

[Authority - Medium: Failure] Establish authority, yeah! You can post with the big boys, on this comedy forum. Also, you're poo poo.

(Turn to lieutenant) Kim, I need your gun.

Kim: Why?

Everybody, calm down, this is just a demonstration. Kim, the gun?

Kim: But.. I don't want to give you my gun.

Trust me Kim, I am merely flesh.

Authority: Good, now point the gun in your mouth.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh yeah, I forgot, but there’s a movie that features a character who gets into a car crash, wants to become a superstar, and has an identity crisis who ALSO has amnesia... *Inland Empire*.

Edit: whoops I mixed up Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, I’m dumb. They should have named that skill Mulholland Drive. Although Inland Empire is probably more appropriate and batshit crazy, tbf.. but Mulholland Drive is all about the dream-like quality, and also has the character I described above.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 8, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
There's also that whole thing with Harry's ex being represented as Dolores Dei, which directly leads into the end of the game and Dolores/the ex/Harry/The Deserter are all symbolic of the same or similar things. And the phasmid basically spells that out for you.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Jack Trades posted:

I must be particularly stupid because I'm not sure what connection you're talking about. Can you spell it out for me?

I don't know why I spoiler tagged one word specifically, but still spoiled a lot, but I think that's one of the cooler reveals in the game, so I like to put spoiler tags there just in case, but yeah, obvious end game spoilers.

I was more pointing out that that scene has significance and isn't anticlimactic, like the post further up the page seemed to think, but I was exaggerating and shouldn't have said 'spells it out', rather, but I do think it establishes parallels between these beings, communism and isn't anti-climactic at all, and I think lays out a few ideas, some clear and others that are ambiguous in a way that I love (and I think the reason why a lot of journalists had trouble with the whole 'but it doesn't present a *solution*, thing, which I think is dumb regardless, but I think this scene has enough that you can take from it, although it's still probably not what those journalists wanted). But I think those connections and the conversations you have on the island are fundamental to the game's themes The phasmid has been on the island for quite a while, like the deserter, and lived through a couple of revolutions, but as it describes to you when asking Harry what it's like to be him, and like, bleeding, and then describes how it experiences sensory input in a fundamentally different and more primal way that's about survival first and foremost. Also it basically says it's lived through several forms of government, two(?) revolutions, but still wasn't discovered until like, I think 52 or 51, by a detective, and that's also the same year our protagonist starts to lose his poo poo and alienate everyone around him.

The phasmid is something no one except for like 2 people believe in, and I guess you do as well, and is considered a joke when it's brought up, like, Kim isn't even amused by it when it's first mentioned which sparks your fascination with them, and up until the end of the game it weirdly seems like it's one of the things you're into that he's more annoyed by by, until near the end of the game when you're still doing stuff like checking the traps, Kim has seen enough from you that he's pretty much accepted that you must have some Inland Empire type 6th sense and that there's always some chance that some dumb thing you're dead set on doing for no reason could lead to a breakthrough. But anyways, I went off on a tangent, but I meant to say, that in that way the phasmid is like the spirit of communism, or the idea that it could flourish again, and I felt like it paralleled how everyone, aside from the few who are considered weirdos have basically given up hope for another revolution or communism ever succeeding. It also tells you that humans have basically hosed everything up and also the pale showed up when humans did, there's a good line about how the birds and the plants also agree that humans are going to destroy the Earth. I was going to keep this mostly about what happens at the end that supports my argument, but I'll just say that I think that this is basically the 'answer' that games journos didn't want, but got, and that is, that because of neoliberalism, neocons, moralism, etc. the pale has shown up, and it will be the downfall of humanity/Earth. Also, there's a spot of pale growing in the church with the stained glass painting of Dolores Dei, and I forget exactly how it's represented, but basically your ex appears to you in the dream as Dolores Dei, I guess presumably because you don't remember what she looks like, but she's the most beloved Innocence in history, but also in hindsight it's now pretty clear that she was actually a fascist and a horribly violent, imperialist military leader. The phasmid tells you to forget about her and not look back, which I think also means don't look back on moralism, etc. and like the phasmid, gently caress what people say, if you truly believe that Mazovian socio-economics is the only system of government that will help places like Revachol and lift it from the moralist status quo that's widely accepted despite the obvious squalor that everyone except for like 3 characters live in, then don't look back, because it's as absurd as choosing not to believe in the phasmid, even though admitting you did prior to witnessing it with Kim and getting evidence that it exists would make people laugh at you.

I mean, I don't know, this is one of those games where the ending is so great because all of these connections are sort of just there in my head and when I try to actually explain it I end up forgetting things, or like, I didn't talk about the deserter and what happens to him as people have already gone on at length about it, but hopefully if any of that makes sense then you can also see how the deserter's life after the revolution also relates to this, and what happens to him right before you take him in.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Thank you, this is uh, what I meant, except including the bits I felt like I was rambling about when I tried including them, bits I just forgot, and overall just more articulate. And yeah, most importantly, as you mentioned, the thesis is slowly introduced, and stated and repeated throughout then in the final act it sort of hammers home the more explicit thematic stuff.

And I sort of mentioned it, but like you said, it really DOES say there is hope, it’s not a game that’s like ‘well we’re hosed, communism has failed, there’s no hope of that ever happening again so forget it. In fact, that’s what the communism thought cabinet description basically says, and it confused me the first time until shortly after that I realized it says something like ‘giving up would be the moralist thing to do!’, so at first glance it appears to present every political ideology with a similarly pessimistic tone, but clearly they’re taking the piss with that one.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

yeah I'm a tone over plot kind of guy, often to a fault, and to me the tone of the ending felt spot on

Same, like every game I love is like this, including the one in my avatar, The Last Guardian, which if you haven’t played it, don’t read this and go play it, but the ending is super weird, especially compared to the rest of the game and has an incredible reveal at the end that made my jaw drop as it’s so unexpected. like, you drop into a weird futuristic alien throne room housing a futuristic or alien looking sphere with neon green patterns all over it and a metallic spiky looking black goo all over it to protect it if you go near it. It’s kind controlling all of the Tricos in this crater to go out and capture children to bring back to it and feed them to him for energy to continue it’s existence despite the population of the crater having been wiped out, most likely due to this kind of sacrifice ages ago, and you don’t know anything about it until literally the last 30 minutes or so of the game and you’re only told its name. You have to just infer all of that, but the child sacrifice to power the thing is pretty clear, but I love it because it’s just perfectly ambiguous, in that the conclusions different people might come to are all valid and like, my first thought was that the theme of the game was climate change- a meaningless cycle that is sacrificing the future generation to keep perpetuating the status quo which is so self serving that it either doesn’t realize because it’s an AI, or simply doesn’t care that everyone has either died or tried to flee the city.

Sorry that was a lot more long winded than I thought it would be, but typically that’s the sort of video game story that has been the most emotionally impactful for me, and again it’s almost entirely due to the context of the story, but I really can’t think of any video game story that comes close to Disco Elysium’s, without the added asterisk of like ‘it’s good if you play the game’, whereas, Disco Elysium, as many others have said itt can basically stand in its own, and not just as a story that’s good for a video game, but a good story in any medium.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 9, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The difference basically comes down to picking your stats and what you can level up which in turn affects what decisions you can make, but the way that you ‘fail forward’ in this game is also pretty different to most RPGs. So I’d say it’s like a mash up of both, like taking persona and making it a mussou game or something.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Kim tells him that with the amount of cases he's solved and the time he's been in the RCM he's in the 90th percentile of all RCM officers.

edit: woah lol like 6 people posted in the time between me not refreshing the page and then posting that. But yeah, Kim basically says 'holy poo poo, you solved 183 cases??' and you're like 'uh is that good?' and he's like 'gently caress yes it is, thank god that this wasn't the nightmare I was thinking it was', and I think that's why the pissing competition is brought up. He might think they sent you to gently caress with him, but then he realizes that you're a supercop.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 11, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I didn't hoard any points the entire game, like, I immediately leveled up as soon as I could, or put a thought in my thought cabinet as soon as I had the opportunity, and only removed a thought once because the debuff while learning it was messing up a pretty important late game series of events. I didn't even think about saving levels until I saw that people in this thread were doing that and I thought I was dumb for not thinking of it, but I got to experience pretty much everything in the game despite having a terribly balanced character at the beginning and also just leveling up like a regular RPG character would.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I got a black and orange reversible nylon bomber jacket because I loved Kim’s so much and I forgot about bomber/nylon jackets like that until this game. No cop irl would have such a sick sense of fashion and also have spinners.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
"Mr president, did you get the chance to look over the paperwork regarding the latest data and also the proposal to deploy another 3,000 troops in the effort to end the Samaran war?
"Hey, look to be honest I don't think I'm really from the government"

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Not sure why people think Waypoint was super down on it, their spoilercast was almost nothing but praise, and Austin admits that his 'problem' with the game not offering a solution is flawed in the same way he himself saying there should be a solution is flawed. https://youtu.be/fuofI9FJ2Rw

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Finding the car *with* Kim is great, you should do it or just Youtube it. It's just got a touching little cutscene and most people, including myself seemed to enjoy that bit a lot. I also did most of the stuff in that area without Kim, but I managed to do that and sort of just meet a few people before I went back for some reason, probably to get that body down. I feel like I know most of the major differences in outcomes, but I didn't ever find out what happens if you steal the boots off the corpse, does Kim just not acknowledge that you're wearing the dead guy's high-tech, expensive armored boots?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Woah, interesting that the dream area is right below the portion of the map in an inaccessible area. Have you tried clicking on any of those options? Like Halo test scene, etc

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Arist posted:

"Block-In Playground," "Halo Test Scene," "Sense of Scale," "Grayroom," "Bright Room," and "Room of Motion" don't respond when I click them. I'm going to assume they removed whatever those would send me to.

Clicking on "Dream 3-INT" sends me to a dream scene I've never seen before, on the islet, speaking with Dolores Dei, though maybe that's in the game somewhere and I missed it somehow? (e: Oh, it's for when you sleep in the flak tower? I thought I did that, maybe there's some other requirement)

The most interesting thing I found is that clicking on the second dream sequence puts Kim there with you, but he obviously has no lines in the scene.

Ah I see, yeah when Kim tells you you should take a nap at the island you have the dream with Dolores in it. And yeah weird that Kim’s there, he shouldn’t.

Idk what you guys are talking about, do you not see the screenshot arist spoilered?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh, I honestly didn't realize, because it was like.. very on the nose, idk. And maybe because someone else was being a dick to Arist in another thread, so I was like what's the deal.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
OH I'M SORRY I just went through a week long walk, through the pale, naked. So I apologize if I'm being 'no fun'.!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I agree, I was dumb and didn’t even think about saving skill points for potentially hard to pass checks that I didn’t want to fail because as soon as I got enough exp to get a skill point and heard the sound effects, I either chose a skill to level up or a thought cabinet slot because something about numbers going up and dopamine and video games. But in hindsight I think that’s what the developers sort of assumed you would do, or at least I think it’s more ‘realistic’ and in character to become better at something by completing tasks as you go and not hoard points for hard checks, but I could be wrong. However, as many people have said already, the game is good about rewarding failed checks as well as passed checks in a pretty consistent way with good writing for both and unexpected funny moments where a failed check isn’t actually bad, and the character just thinks the outcome of the check is something he hosed up but to other characters would see it like a passed check if that makes sense. like the check where you shot put the ball into the ocean.