Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I finished the game a while back, but have just been soaking up reactions and observations in the thread before I bothered posting.

My first playthrough was a classic sorry commie cop, 4/4/2/2 iirc. I critically failed the karaoke even though my drama was good, and was very happy about it. That was my only savescum... not to pass the roll this time, but to at least be dressed with more dignity as I proudly bared my gigantic soul. And to put headphones on to fully appreciate the "failure" in all its glory.

I listened to the alternate karaoke version later on youtube, and it is such a great mental image, to think of someone pumping up their drama with the usual clothing to smoothly deliver that gritty-voiced "success" while still dressed like that.

Now that I'm going full spoilers, I've heard some things about the tie. I didn't need the spirit bomb since I had my gun (also Ruby's gun :smith:), but it's funny how I ended up missing out. When the tie was telling me to buy the blue liquor to begin with, I already thought this thing must be in league with Electrochemistry and should be treated with caution. Then I read the quest description about how the tie was "preparing for endgame" and thought it was planning to endgame ME by convincing me to somehow consume this stuff. I removed the tie in terror, and kept it off the rest of the game. I'm sorry now for doubting you, friend!

My newest run I'm working on is a super Composure cop, trying to act like everything is cool and not let on that anything is wrong whenever possible. No memory loss here, nope! Couldn't avoid Kim knowing, so he can be in on the secret, but I did at least avoid letting on to my team that I lost my gun. Sucks that I'll miss out on a lot of the cool discussion with Joyce this time, but I'm looking forward to the Evrart boss fight soon.

But back to my first run... in endgame, I hosed up and Ruby died, I hosed up and a lot of people at the Tribunal died... but I passed the Kim check. I passed the Kim check.

The phasmid was incredible, not only the writing but also the visual effect when you first literally see it as it moves among the reeds. Such a great holy poo poo moment even before I got to talk to it. I didn't take a picture, though. After the things it said about the pale, it felt kind of wrong? Like the act of taking a photograph was just more of that human drive to capture and enslave the world inside its own awareness.

I'll echo a lot of the thoughts already posted here that this game, and the endgame in particular, has felt very therapeutic to me. I had some struggles over the past year with repeatedly dwelling too long on things, and having a hard time moving on when something originally so powerfully positive ended up really hurting me, right down to the same "brain just refusing to reconcile it" feeling people keep saying about our PC. I could sympathise so much with the Deserter too, especially when Empathy was pointing out how he didn't want to see people moving on, how dare they forget and keep smiling? The whole encounter with him already had me just crying my eyes out, and then that shift to the background...

I do still think the Deserter has a bit of a point sometimes. Sometimes people "move past" things only to drape themselves in a cloak of maturity while ignoring or perpetuating injustice that should still be fought. Or to make an excuse for giving up the fight, when you should be trying to keep building communism even if it's impossible. But you don't want to end up like this guy... and accepting the simple fact that something is irrevocably gone isn't one of those things. Harry isn't accomplishing anything good or righting any wrong by needlessly torturing himself for six years. He really does need to learn to let it go. For himself, and for the working class. :unsmith:

I like to think that even if I think too much like the Deserter sometimes, I can at least turn my head and still see all that is good and wonderful in the world instead. (as embodied by the phasmid Kim.)

This game is goddamn art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ThaumPenguin posted:

I quite enjoyed this one, lots of good voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ETpz_DKWI

Oh hey thanks for this suggestion a few pages back, this is a very good LP. Not only does he do a good Kim voice, I'm really appreciating this LPer's long digressions on topics that DE brings up. I've subscribed to him now cause it's always nice to find someone on YouTube who isn't a chud shithead, or super obnoxiously hammy.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Roumba posted:

Does hardcore mode have any value other than as a high score challenge mode thing for min-maxer build-n-execute sort of people? Replacing the main menu music with the proto-hardcore beat got a good chuckle out of me.

I was probably never going to bother trying hardcore mode, so thanks for posting this, that is such a hilarious little touch for them to add.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

RudeCat posted:

I've tried, twice, and it's hurt too much to go very far.

I've played through Undertale's genocide route and was glad to have seen it. I murdered my friends and even all the cute dogs, and kept on going.

But I am never even attempting to make Kim mad at me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

Electrochemistry adds extra charges to these items, so a high Electrochemistry character gets more out of their drugs. The skill also leads you down a path of substance abuse, giving you quests to procure amphetamine, or just buy a magnum sized bottle of wine. These quests are often non-refusable.

Yeah, those non-refusable quests don't seem to pack much of a punch, unless someone's got their own personal addiction to completionism and crossing everything off the list.

I feel like I wouldn't personally mind if there were more truly compulsive checks, literally forcing your hand sometimes if you keep any drugs in your inventory at all. Instead of staring in horror at roll results like "The words have already left your mouth", you sometimes get "the drink has already entered your mouth". :v:

But that'd probably rub a lot of people the wrong way gameplay-wise.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

World War Mammories posted:

eg. low Electrochemistry means that its reaction to looking into the peephole is “golly I bet you could see salacious stuff,” but increasing it extends the vignette to “I bet bottles were involved” and the artful climax “did you know that you can put speed straight up your rear end in a top hat?”

It's not drugs, I'm just honouring myself, lieutenant

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Arrhythmia posted:

Dont' start with 1 in endurance or volition so you don't instantly die. Sounds like you figured that out tho, so have fun.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Xander77 posted:

So... Cocaine Skull aside, what do people want out of the new and improved Disco?

Add "Kim is the best" as a real graffito option

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Breetai posted:

Just got in the church on my second playthrough after missing out on the opportunity on my first.

Hey Kim, wanna dance?

Oh.

OH NO.

:cripes:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cugel the Clever posted:

When given the option to paint the wall, I went with the boring, sappy, and hopelessly vague option of "SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL IS GOING TO HAPPEN" because my Harry had just spent days fighting to make the world a better place and my head canon says he and those he's affected don't stop there. Something beautiful is going to happen if I have anything to say about it, drat it.

Somehow I always interpreted this art option as more ominous instead, inspired by Apocalypse Cop :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BigRed0427 posted:

I kind of find myself thinking that Power in of itself is the religion for the ruling class, and the innocents are the physical manifestation of political Power.

Sounds like you understand the concept just fine!

I picture like how the American "Founding Fathers" are revered, a secular political-based version of religious idolisation. Dolores Dei just kicks it up a notch where instead of having folk tales about her chopping down a cherry tree, she's got glowing lungs.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

chaosapiant posted:

drat...I hope not. Klassje and Titus have perfect voices I think. Actually I think they all do. There’s no voices in the game that I dislike.

:same:

Some characters I could more easily imagine them being fine with a new voice actor, but Klassje sounds just perfect already, I really really hope her original voice stays.

I've already heard on Discord Elysium though that Cuno's getting a change. I do trust they'll still do a decent job, but man I'm feeling a bit heartbroken about it

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GlyphGryph posted:

I love cunos voice but something definitely seems off about the recording itself and I wouldnt mind if they fixed it somehow.

I'd love to say I trust them to still pick good new voice actors but I still can't stand the new portraits (I think they look goofy and not in a good way) so I dunno! Maybe I'll end up being a "purist" after all.

Oh gently caress, are those new portraits actually going in the final cut?! I thought they were just done different for the displate prints :stonk:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The new Cuno does sound good! I hope it's not too jarring when we get to the really iconic lines like "gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?!" but yeah, this should be all right. But I still don't know if they kept Klaasje's VA... :ohdear:

quote:

The horrific necktie is voiced by the same person as the reptilian brain and limbic system, Mikee Goodman, which chatter away while you sleep.

Yesssssss :dance:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

World War Mammories posted:

wait, hum. since it's under the umbrella of Shivers, is he also gonna voice La Revacholiere?

It would be pretty cool if La Revacholiere ends up having a surprise new voice in that moment, after you just got used to Shivers sounding the same as everyone else in your head all game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Neurosis posted:

Refused classification in Australia? gently caress.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One of my fav personal screenshots is from finally passing that one tough check in the church, but only in endgame, after the tribunal

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Well dang I better share the next bit of fun text from the end of the scene then

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Roctavian posted:

So can you bring Cuno to the church scene?!?

That one isn't possible since after he talks to you in the Whirling, he takes off to meet back up with you later on the island.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Samovar posted:

I don't see race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Animal-Mother posted:

:supaburn: IT'S OUT, IT'S DOWNLOADING, IT'S HAPPENING, THAT COCAINE SKULL IS MINE :supaburn:

Disco Elysium Final Cut: you can literally put speed up your rear end in a top hat