Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

Oh, I didn't know that. Still, the story of loving up and crashing into the old lady's wheelchair is funny. I think they showed it in the trailer briefly.

Had it happen in my demo of the game at egx last year, and it was absolutely hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i read through the links in the OP for the skill and ability explanations on the developer website, and i gotta say i wish they were more direct and to-the-point. there's all this flowery, pseudo-intellectual prose woven into the description of everything, and it made trying to parse what they intend for each skill to do very difficult for me. I wish they had something like a mechanics section for each skill separate from the rambling pontifications on the nature of humanity so that you could at least get an unambiguous explanation for what we should expect the skill to do in-game.

i'm also not a fan of "your attributes and skills actually make you worse if they get too high. it's role-play not roll-play you philistine". it sounded like having a very high skill / attribute will force you to start doing certain things, but is it a situation where you're forced to make these poor choices, or is it like having a very high rank in something will give you the option of making poor choices, but not forcing you into it?

Funnily enough that is what i love the most about this skill system and what made me insta-wishlist on steam as soon as i read the first skills explanation blog post.
Your skills are not just game mechanics, they are characters with an agenda and a personality. For what i understood by playing the demo last year, the skill don't really force you to choose a specific option, but determine what options you have in the first place, outside of some default ones.They do so by talking to you and forcing you to notice specific elements or try to push specific lines of talk or action. Having higher points in a skill gives it more influence on you and makes it more likely to try to push you in a specific direction, becoming potentially really angry if you fail or refuse.
It's not a case of being forced at kicking the puppy because your authority is at 5, but of having half light remind you of the dog that has bitten you when you were a kid, encyclopedic knowledge writing a wall of text about the puppy breed, inland empire asking you to bark at him to see if it can teach you the secret language of dogs and electrochemistry screaming that you need a loving cigarette right now

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Hogama posted:

That did seem to be what the automatic checks were for. Like after a hesitant reply from someone, both Authority and Empathy chimed in successfully, and the followup response choices were to rake them over the coals a bit more, reassure them, or just do a follow-up question based on a keyword. So presumably, if you fail both those auto-checks, the only response option you have is the single question?

well you get options relate to failing a check, or even open a completely different dialogue tree

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

After failing the check to stare Kassje in the eye, I got really curious about what you'd see so I start to pump points into volition. After failing 3 white checks and now being forced to be the straightest cop, the result didn't disappoint.

Favorite sequence in the game till now. My jaw was on the floor for the entirety of that exchange.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

What is your favorite line

Ruby are... you... A Lady Liker...?

MY MAN, i WANNA KNOW ABOUT YOUR SOUL!

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

I love how it manages to cram all that party banter into a party that as far as I can tell never has more than two actual flesh-and-blood people in it.

It feels a lot like they may have intended you to have an actual party at some point in development but it got cut. A lot of stuff feels like it got cut, come to think of it; this game is great but it feels like you're playing the first act of a three-act or five-act story.

That is indie gaming for you, you need to pour blood ,sweat and soul in making the best game that 10 people can manage to make in 10 years, but it will always show that you did not have the budget and the manpower of a massive AAA project, even if you blow all of them out of the water in terms of polish and quality of the experience :(

But still the talking skills have always been a main pillar of this game, so they never cut any extra party member

Alpheratz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 24, 2019

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Jesus, The Tribunal was some tense poo poo

I love how this game can make just clicking through some dialogue, decisions, and a few die rolls exciting as hell.

That is the reason why "modern" narrative oriented rpgs (the kind that Disco Elysium is aping) are extremely rad

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Watch the sequel let you play as Joyce

DIOS MIOS

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Unpopular take: this game is kind of a slog. It was crime to release it without modding tools or console commands. Just moving around the map is a drag: slow movement even with constant annoying double-clicks, no interactable map you can use to move like in the old IE games, etc.

The writing is a little purple, but the world is engaging enough that I'll dutifully slog on to see what happens. But it's incredible that I'm playing a game with more quality-of-life issues than PS:T, which came out 20 years ago.

Funnily enough i was ready to go into the game expecting it to be kind of a slog, and came out instead being extremely surprised at how good the pacing actually was. I may have got lucky and stringed together the quests in a way that told the story in a pretty well paced and satisfying way.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

It is me. I am the sorriest of Hobocops

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Songbearer posted:

The only true "bad guy" skill is probably Half Light, and even then it's something we all carry with us. Giving it more ranks just means you're more susceptible to it

Many of the skills have their reprehensible moments, but boy i did not expect Empathy to behave as a complete piece of poo poo during the LOVE quest

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Failure Communist, rabid fascist, spineless moralist, and corrupt capitalist liberal are the only allowed choices.

there is also the golden option : All four at the same time

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Volte posted:

I won't bother quoting everyone individually but a lot of responses to my combat post seem to be missing the fact that "traditional RPG combat" and "combat" in general aren't necessarily the same thing. A fresh new take on RPG combat that steps away from the tropes of fantasy RPGs is what I would look for, not the same old poo poo shoehorned in, just like I don't want the very concept of RPG combat to be erased from our collective memories like a bad dream. I think DE's skills system would lend itself to a unique and fresh combat system that doesn't involve mass murdering the whole town for no reason or gating progression behind your combat stats. Some people say that DE does have combat, in the form of skill checks during dialogue, which is almost true, but it doesn't have the key ingredient: letting players come up with crafty ways to solve situations, which is one of my favourite things about RPGs and one thing that I think is hopeless without some form of combat. Really, combat is just a stand-in word for "unscripted freeform player-driven action/consequence loop". Dress it up however you want, but it's something that I would miss if it suddenly became outmoded.

Disco Elysium didn't really need this since the characters were so fleshed out and the narrative basically set in stone. The tribunal wouldn't have been quite as powerful if I could have just AoE stunned the mercs with my dancing for 6 turns and "teleported" everyone away to safety but I still think it would be fun to explore how a free-form system could complement a tree-based dialogue system without being overbearing.

http://zaumstudio.com/2018/05/03/combat-in-disco-elysium/

The problem, if you read the blog post where they describe their combat system, is that they tried to give that kind of freedom, until they realized pretty soon that ,well gently caress, every decision they wanted to offer to the player would multiply exponentially the amount of work they had to put in creating art and programming for every possible combination or branch.
We are in a market where even massive AAA studios are actually being bitten in the arse by scope creep and lack of direction, so having a ten people strong cultural movement making something so good on their first try is a testament to the power of committing to the best possible implementation of a killer idea, instead of getting bogged down by thousand "wouldn't it be cool if..." or feeling peer pressured in tacking on half baked systems "because is not a real game otherwise"

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Espirit d'Corps pays off in how much fluff you get from it.

and in basically being able to read kim's mind at certain point

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

first time i see a -1 morale in real life

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Alec Meer does some good writing about the game: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/29/disco-elysium-offers-a-dark-mirror-to-my-mid-life-crisis/

The Date of Birth Generator thought, as it was recalled in the comments, is masterful. "You are 44. You still have some hope" after considering how much poo poo you have recalled and dealt with at this point in the game felt like the most :unsmith: thing in the world

Its amazing how the RPS writers went from their initial kneejerk rejection to DE to actually falling in love with the game

Alpheratz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 1, 2019

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

You joke, but a game with a GY!BE or SMZ soundtrack would automatically be my goty, no matter the actual quality or genre of the game.

Heck, out of all software houses, ZA/UM is probably the one that could actually pull it off

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

NewMars posted:

Inland empire may be supernatural. Shivers, on the other hand, is 100% a psychic power. This is actually explicit: on the website, the devs describe it as the only explicitly supernatural power.

Espirit De Corps may also be supernatural.

in some cases with esprit de corps you are straight out reading other people minds

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Greaseman posted:

The next racist post will be the really good one.

Will it grant me three wishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Harry X Getting His poo poo Together OTP

you mean harry X volumetric poo poo compressor OTP