Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Great that people are talking about FOMO because every time I try to get going with this game, I go back to the character creation screen and wonder about what are the "best" stats. I keep reading about how even losing is great in this game, about how I should just enjoy myself, etc, but I keep trying to min max it. IS there a "good build" or just try to go with the flow?

Also, is it just me or are the pre built stat distributions not good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

all stat distributions are good because the game rewards every one, just in different ways

I guess I just took the LP thread advice of "Don't have any stat lower than 2 or higher than 4 if you don't know what you are doing" to heart.

Not to mention that I keep hearing about how there are entire sequences where you can lose multiple health/morale points at once. As hilarious as dying from turning on a light is, I don't want that to keep happenning to me all throughout the game.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Having GLaDOS read the Kingdom of Conscience internalization flavor text is oddly fitting.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.ign.com/articles/disco-elysium-the-final-cut-voice-acting-console-release

Most relevant bits of that interview:

* Some voice roles have been recast but favorites like Kim and Evrart have stayed on.
* All 24 skills will have the same voice: that of Lenval Brown, who narrates the Final Cut trailer and will also narrate the passive voice portions. Meaning he literally voices half the game's 1.2 million-word script. Poor bastard.

Let's see how the new guys do. Tbh I think the only voice I'd personally replace was Jean's, since he sounds way too cartoonish, especially since you only get to hear him speak at the ending.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 12, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Is Lenval the same person currently doing the reptile/other part of Harry’s brains?

No, those are done by Mikee Goodman. That interview seems to give the impression that they just stumbled onto Lenval (who is a jazz musician by trade) after release and thought "This is the guy. He needs to be Harry's brain and our narrator."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Harry shot first.

Kortenaer now yells "Maclunkey" during the Tribunal for no reason.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 13, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh gently caress, are those new portraits actually going in the final cut?! I thought they were just done different for the displate prints :stonk:

What new portraits? The ones in Displate look the same to me. :confused:

Edit: Ok, I found this. Tbh I think Half Light and Suggestion are the only ones I'm not thrilled about. Rest is fine.

Edit 2: So are all the INT portraits completely unchanged or have they simply not been released?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 14, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I just wonder how stuff like this will be narrated or voice acted, when there is dialogue for a character who then does something else that isn't dialogue, sometimes even more than once:

Lenval Brown will also do all the voice involving narration, so I'm guessing it would switch between the character and him, like in certain audiobooks.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think the only one that got replaced was Cuno, but the replacement has Cuno's VA's blessing. gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?!

Really? Those interviews implied they replaced most of them (but not Kim and Evrart). Where did they say this?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's odd because they mentioned having to do a lot of actual voice directing and recording in real studios, which is something that would take a lot of time for people with actual day jobs. At the very least, I don't see the Chapo guys having that sort of time. Nekrashova I can see it since she's an actual actress.

Basically, it's the indie version of "We replaced Peter Dinklage with Nolan North because Peter is always too busy to record new dialogue".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Devs are answering questions on the Discord right now. The Ask Any Question channel.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i'll find my cocaine skull. who took my cocaine skull.

Spoilers: Disco Elysium 2 is just 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

ZA/UM is an art collective. I would say we maybe have more in common with the Wu-Tang Clan than your average videogame studio.

Disco Elysium - I would say we maybe have more in common with the Wu-Tang Clan than your average videogame studio

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

Here's the new Cuno too. I don't like the new guy as much as the old one, but it's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84rQcnAbaA

Yeah, I think original Cuno can't be beaten but I find this to be an acceptable alternative. Plus the slightly less intense delivery is probably more appropriate to listen to for extended periods of time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

wait, hum. since it's under the umbrella of Shivers, is he also gonna voice La Revacholiere?

Someone asked this to the devs on Discord and their response amounted to "You'll have to wait and see"

Regarding different deliveries for each skill it is somewhat disappointing but coming up with 24 different character voices would be a massive challenge for any voice actor, let alone a jazz musician, so I can sort of let that slide.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 20, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

(this one gets me, always)

I think this is what I want to hear voiced most of all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

for only 400€ you too can be as cool as kim kitsuragi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHJW5Jd86M

you can never be as cool as kim kitsuragi

Already sold out.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Thanks a ton. That’s exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to avoid. The older I get, the less I like those kinds of things in games. We only get so much time to play. Just want to tool around and have fun defining a character without worrying about poo poo like that.

This is less important, but I’m super curious about it. The game is obviously political, and any amount of research will make it very clear where the developers land on the spectrum, and yet they included some pretty repellent political options. I’m a full blown leftist gay space communist, but I’m still curious, do the centrist and rightwards political avenues mock the player for choosing them? It’s interesting how you get this spectrum of political expression, but prevailing culture outside of the game, and all that, makes me wonder how those less tasteful angles are handled by the developers, their own political biases aside.

While the game at first glance looks like it does the South Park thing of mocking everyone, it quickly becomes apparent that the game directly mocks the ideologies of ultraliberalism (ancap), neoliberalism, fascism and centrism themselves and calls out those who follow them as cowards or evil while the absolute worst it has to say about communism is that it's an impractical dream and it's far more interested in mocking those who use lip service to communism for violent or self-serving ends.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 25, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HE IS A POLICEMAN OF THE STATE TO COME

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chalks posted:

It's probably been answered before, but do we know if Harry is voiced in the Final Cut?

The devs confirmed he's not.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

450 Euros for a bespoke jacket made by an expert seamstress seems like a bit of a bargain, considering the Estonian Minimum wage is only slightly lower than that of Portugal, which is slowly but surely becoming the European luxury/"ethical" luxury clothes manufacturer of choice for anyone who cannot afford France/Italy/London levels of bespoke.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

They could have designed a cheap, easy to make, flimsy orange bomber jacket and gotten them made by what is barely considered a worker and not a slave. They could have made thousands of these jackets and sold them for $100, putting cents into the workers pockets and thousands of dollars into theirs. Instead, they (presumably ofc) paid a person to design a nice coat in the style of the game, and a few people to hand sew what seem to be not flimsy, quality materials, into a nice jacket that will stand up to wear and not end up at a value village in the saddest towns of the american midwest.

Never forget

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

im gonna listen to measureheads entire monologue

:emptyquote:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, the narration will take a bit getting used to.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

gently caress it, I deleted my installed version and am trying a new installation.

That's what I did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap, Garte's voice is much more nasal now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Running tally of replaced VAs:

Garte
Lena

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lena has a southern accent now, the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012