Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

I just read the entire thread after beating the game, would like when you get a chance, no rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Other than the aforementioned Joyce idea, the best idea I had for the sequel was playing as Klassje on the run after this game. Instead of core aspects of your personality as the skills, you have a collections of tics and personas that you've adopted to deal with people and numb yourself. At first, you aren't really dealing with your core personality the way Harry was, but instead shuffling around what you're presenting to a new part of the world in the hopes of surviving.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I want the soundtrack of this game on vinyl. I want a physical collectors edition so I can buy it again. I want to inundate my self with anything I can get my hands on of this game and its world.

Has anyone posted this procedurally generated shower curtain yet?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Considering Harry didn't even investigate the body at all prior to the start of the game one can assume he was just completely wasted the whole time and didn't do much investigating.

He made it as far as the church. It's heavily implied (and maybe stated more directly in experiences I didn't have) that he had a direct encounter with the pale seed/hole in the world. Because of how weird the pale is, Harry could be kicking around with a bunch of other people's memories/experiences. I much prefer the magical realism ambiguity, but if you really wanted to be a lore nerd about it, you can argue that Inland Empire is just all of Harry's knowledge gained from the pale bubbling to the surface.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Nick posted:

It's just very odd to me that a game with so much disco references and aesthetic wouldn't even bother to include a disco song.

In How Music Works, David Byrne discusses a theory of musical development as technological innovation.

In our world, Disco was what happened when big bands gave way to small bands amplified by new technology to dance venues just using recordings almost exclusively. In turn the music changed to take advantage of the given technological (and therefore material) reality. I didn't interpret it as a fully Marxist read on music at the time I read it, but I wasn't exactly primed for such things back when I did.

I assumed it was Disco the way our world's was Disco on a technical level-- there was music with large bands, then there was music with smaller but technologically amplified bands, then there was music which cut out live musicians and focused on recorded dance hits. Similar enough that we would recognize it as disco, probably influenced just as much through a combination of drugs and queer and minority experience as our version, but distinct in harmonics, tone, style flourishes, etc.

All that said, I imagined that the music you hear at Whirling-In-Rags was a sort of soft, mostly instrumental cover of one of the disco classics, the same way you'd hear an easy listening, slightly jazzy version of Funky Town playing in a mall.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Nick posted:

I agree, that makes sense. But if this is the case, then wouldn't the technological timeline of DE be WAY off for that sort of musical development?

I took it as another instance of technology in DE not lining up with our world at all, kind of like how they have nuclear power and literal cloud computing but not CRT monitors.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

What are the hot takes about the game? I bet its "Glorifies Police" or something else. Renegade Cut said they were working on a video about DE called All HoboCops are Bad and I saw a lot of comments on that tweet that were like that. A lot of "I haven't played it but I heard you play a cop? How many points do you get for shooting unarmed black people?" style posts.

On the one hand, I hope he gets into the world lore about how the citizens' militia actually began.

On the other hand, if he doesn't and makes a very surface level read, I have an excuse to finally make one of those eleven hour reply videos all the rage amongst internet shut-ins these days.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching the recent The Tick and just got to the scene where The Tick upon questioning admits he has no memory of anything beyond a few days ago, and gets confused and doesn't accomplish much without Arthur to give him some direction and it was mighty familiar.

I got a few episodes in and then didn't have time to keep watching, but for someone who has kept up with the amazon run of The Tick, question: Do they ever come right out and say that the Tick is a tulpa or some other being created/directed by Arthur's will? Does it just keep getting implied? Does the show veer off in an entirely different direction? I feel like this is one of those situations where I'm never going to bother to watch the show unless the answer to that question is interesting.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I beat the game as a sensitive and physical guy, getting a bad outcome at the tribunal due to not having a weapon.

If you were playing as a sensitive and physical guy, it sounds like you missed out on the necktie mini-quest.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

wiegieman posted:

Shivers is the city speaking to Harry through the wind. It's the only skill where the information doesn't come from him, but he is special for being able to listen.

Actually there is both regular shivers and ALL CAPS shivers, and it's only the all caps that is La Revacholiere.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Twobirds posted:

I do have one question, and I think I'm mostly unspoiled. Early on, taking with (I think) Reptilian Brain, he calls me Harry. I don't recall getting to ask about it, and I still act like I can't remember my name. Did I miss something? Was it just an aside for future playthroughs to enjoy?

You did not miss anything. Information and insight comes at you in different orders depending on what kind of build you have and what you choose to do/not to do.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Anybody else try something out with the DE system/ideas?

I feel like everyone should keep Esprit, but rather than being cop-centric it applies to whatever it is they do specifically. Line cook esprit de corps is different from spec ops esprit de corps which is different from weird internet shut-in esprit de corps.

I'm also leaning towards the idea there should be about 80 skills and character creation is largely determining which ones apply to a given character-- but I haven't thought about it enough to know if it's possible to make that interesting.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I was watching one of the let's plays posted above and realizes the game probably gives you two savoir-faire reducing items in your starting clothes, just to make it more likely you fail the 'slip away unnoticed' check at the start if attempted.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

It's funny that Baldur's Gate opened with that 'abyss stares into you' quote from Nietzsche but it was 20-ish years before DE finally put that into practice.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

On a more character centric level, I had spent the game as a communist art-cop so the letters felt like an artistic collaboration. Cindy had gone from detached antagonism to loaning out art supplies just to see what you'd do. Like everyone else in Martinaise, she knew you'd just stepped between the locals and the mercenaries on that same spot. The piece was created to be set on fire, but she left it to Harry to light the match because he'd already proven capable of it.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

The em dash would be perfectly normal and uninteresting if windows keyboards had an easy way to type them. The fact that you have to either hunt down a weird shortcut or own a (generally) more expensive Mac makes them a class signifier. In this research paper, I will proceed to demonstrate that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Olivil posted:

Yeah it's not doing it. Also tried to verify my game files but apparently all my files are up to date. Oh well I'll just wait some more :shrug:

On a Mac and same thing here too, despite restarts and verification and the like.