Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

South Park is on the wrong side of history kind of a lot.

Usually it's just in the way that most comedy ages poorly, but sometimes it's stuff that reminds you that it's made by 1%er Republicans.

I rewatch the early episodes a lot because I like the general "kids goofing off and getting into trouble over their heads" vibe more, but man, some of those early "topics" episodes are criiiiiiinge. Just as an example, "Rainforest Shmainforest" is completely unwatchable now.

ShoogaSlim posted:

there are 317 episodes of south park. if each of them has 1 or 2 ideas in them that's 634 ideas. what does "a lot" mean in that context? half? more than half? 10%?

or bc you strongly disagree with, like, 4 things they've ever said you feel that it's enough to say they're wrong "a lot"?

it means nothing and it's a very cold take.

Keep earning that red text you loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

get madder about cartoon opinions

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

who's mad in this scenario? the people raging against the creators of south park for being "cringe" or "on the wrong side of history" or me watching every episode and laughing at all the jokes bc i don't take it too seriously?

/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Rainforest Shmainforest is still funny. The only message behind it is that Matt & Trey went to the rainforest and thought it totally sucked so they made the episode about how much their trip sucked.

Knowing that really doesn't change how the ep comes off super smug about how lame and pointless environmentalism is, which is a huge 😬nowadays (not to mention that the rainforest really was and is getting trashed at an epidemic rate, so, you know, they were just objectively wrong about not giving a poo poo). That "caring about stuff is for hypocrites and suckers" attitude the early show had that preceded their later-era libertarian both-sidesing is maybe an even uglier look in the modern era.

Of course this is the same show that would later go on to side with the chuds on the whole "woke = nothing can ever be funny, just take the stick out you liberal snowflakes" thing so I can guess what the responses to this criticism will be.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 27, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Let's just stop having laws. Everybody will self-govern and it'll be a paradise!

Matt and Trey are avowed libertarians so this is literally what they believe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I’m pretty sure it wrapped up that way because they aren’t putting that much effort into these and if it comes together, great. If it doesn’t, do a non-ending and make that the joke. In the end it’s funny enough so whatever, but these days I can usually notice the moment in the episode where they let the plot get away from them and say “oh well, we’re too deep into this.”

Yeah, this episode was pretty good overall but you know the phrase "non-starter"? This was a "non-finisher", it just kinda petered out in the end, even if it was entirely in-character for Randy to puss out when things got tough.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crazy Dastard posted:

Did anyone else notice the voices sounded particularly strained in this one? Especially Mr. Garrison and Cartman. I know Matt and Trey are getting older and that vocal cords tend to change as you age (just listen how Mike Judge does Beavis now, or Patrick Stewart talking in ST:Picard for example) but it definitely stood out to me. At least they didn't resort to AI voice modulation for the episode (though it would've definitely been on-topic for the plot).

Yeah, in this one it sounded like Garrison and Cartman are smoking two packs a day. It's not Marge Simpson levels of vocal devastation yet but it's definitely a noticeable strain from probably some of the more difficult voices.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still have to disagree. I think they portrayed Cartman as using the language of people who have legitimate issues for nefarious purposes: being a lazy lovely rear end in a top hat. If you think they came at it from a horrible boomer-brained WSJ or New York Times columnist perspective then that means they are portraying Cartman as the good guy in the episode, which they definitely are not.

It can be two things, or one thing executed poorly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Of course there's more to it.

It doubles as a joke about woke diversity quotas! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, can we go back to the moment where I was pleased and impressed that we weren't going to do exactly this?

Forget it LL, it's Shoogaslimtown