Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BonoMan posted:

That poor UPS driver was a father of two covering the route for a coworker. But yeah lets blame him. Goddamn this country sucks.

like how the gently caress can anyone blame him, he was a loving hostage who probably got smoked by some cop who wanted to play action hero or got smoked by one of the wannabe mr. blondes. either way he isnt at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nothing infuriates me like gay Trump supporters/republicans. How dare you people support a party that wishes people like me deserve 0 rights

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this article is great

:(

Extreme Howard Hughes energy

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Nothing infuriates me like gay Trump supporters/republicans. How dare you people support a party that wishes people like me deserve 0 rights

On my experience, most lgbt Trump supporters want to be seen as one of the good ones and/or are racist, transphobic, self hating or otherwise. Being LGBT doesn't suddenly make you immune to being bigoted.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't bank on any voting block to save Florida.

Between one of the worst state level Democrat organizations, one of the best GOP organizations, and all the fuckery of voter suppression and blue dogs, this state is a loving crapshoot every time.

There's good chance Desantis is going to run out the clock on restoring the voting rights of felons. The FL Supreme Court is 100% in the GOP's hands. I guarantee there's a lot of "primary residence" voter fraud from the rich olds. And then lol Broward County.

A solid portion of the Puerto Rican voters broke for Rick Scott last election.

ummel fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

mod sassinator posted:

Jesus, think of all the stray bullets hitting cars in traffic too.

The pigs killed the robbers, UPS hostage and a bystander.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CascadeBeta posted:

A lot of the anti trans arguments are anti gay arguments recycled after they lost the marriage equality fight. It's extremely blatent.

What's concerning isn't so much the arguments (which as you say are the same nonsense they have been using forever), it is them laundering it through a new set of mouthpieces which many don't yet realize are merely fronts for Evangelical bigotry. They aren't exactly being subtle about it but they don't really have to be in order to catch traction and hurt people in the short term.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

CascadeBeta posted:

On my experience, most lgbt Trump supporters want to be seen as one of the good ones and/or are racist, transphobic, self hating or otherwise. Being LGBT doesn't suddenly make you immune to being bigoted.

My experience has been they just dont give a poo poo about anyone but themselves and are financially secure enough to not care about anti-lgbt legislation.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Our side concocted the ‘bathroom safety’ male predator argument as a way to avoid an uncomfortable battle over LGBT ideology, and still fire up people’s emotions. It worked in Houston a few years ago

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VH4Ever posted:

Him loving up PR to the point where its refugees hand him defeat in FL would be poetic justice. Rooting for this now.

Sadly I believe voter registration of Puerto Ricans is unusually low?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Boy that government funding is really helping mitigate the situation at these camps

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1202667343115169797

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Boy that government funding is really helping mitigate the situation at these camps

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1202667343115169797

Reminder: Doctors were barred from giving flu vaccines

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mod sassinator posted:

Jesus, think of all the stray bullets hitting cars in traffic too.

These loving cops are out of control....

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ratoslov posted:

'Isn't that just the American flag?' is a pretty good shitpost.

Thank you all for explaining it, it was a genuine question.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mcmagic posted:

These loving cops are out of control....
Cops are trash and can't shoot for poo poo.

Police training in the US is 99% "Don't increase our insurance premiums!!!" and 1% "Try not to say the N-word on the radio"

With like one class one time on use of force and 15 minutes a year at the range.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vichan posted:

Thank you all for explaining it, it was a genuine question.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Cops are trash and can't shoot for poo poo.

Police training in the US is 99% "Don't increase our insurance premiums!!!" and 1% "Try not to say the N-word on the radio"

With like one class one time on use of force and 15 minutes a year at the range.

Reminder that cops were used to heavy trigger pulls on their revolvers of 12 lbs or more. When departments started switching to Glocks, they started getting "Glock Leg" shooting themselves in the thigh when they tried to draw like they did with their revolvers... with the trigger

Instead of realizing "hey, most guns have trigger pulls in the 4 lb range and target triggers less than that, maybe we should retrain" they made Glock make custom 12 lb triggers

12 lbs of squeezing force guarantees you're not going to be accurate, because your hand will be shaking so much from the force you won't be able to hit much (and cops are notoriously bad shots already)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Imagine thinking that someone is going to escape in a UPS truck while you have air support, heavy traffic, daytime conditions, and dozens of radio-equipped cops in eyeball range of the GIANT BROWN TRUCK and not just following it until it runs out of gas/crashes/etc.

Even if they hadn't killed someone, forcing them into a shootout was reckless disregard for the safety of virtually everyone in a 500yd radius.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I guess you’re right. If only there was some recent example, where a president half-heartedly and clumsily manufactured an clear and present danger to the US, so he could attack a country - which despite being almost immediately disproven upwards *checks watch* 60% of Americans still believe is the case and support - I could point to and say; maybe you’re a little too confident there friend. Also, I think you’re underestimating how broadly and deeply the fetishization of the military in general, the personnel, combat action running across the screen, and ‘support R troops’, really runs.

I dunno, I think Iraq prompted different reactions than Iran would now based on the fact 9/11 was really recent and was a huge driving factor behind the public's opinion. Now after nearly 20 years of being locked in a constant grind of war over there people are getting tired of it. It's become less of a "We'll steamroll our way through and have punch and pie in Bagdad" now than it was then. Especially given how much saber ratling's been going on against Iran since the loving 70's

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BonoMan posted:

That poor UPS driver was a father of two covering the route for a coworker. But yeah lets blame him. Goddamn this country sucks.

I’m gonna put myself at some risk here and note that I actually recently started working in the corporate section of UPS and the reaction here is generally just to be stunned. Even in Texas where Republicans are common people are outraged. We’re discussing the prospect of putting a fund together for the family but I’m not sure where that will go.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like how the gently caress can anyone blame him, he was a loving hostage who probably got smoked by some cop who wanted to play action hero or got smoked by one of the wannabe mr. blondes. either way he isnt at fault.

That's what the gun cult is about - it's a fiction people tell themselves so they can believe bad things won't happen to them. While they ARE blaming the victim, that's not the point - the point is to say "this wouldn't happen to me".

Which is a complete lie, but hey

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
That UPS shooting isn't the only major shooting to happen specifically in Florida in the last twelve hours. There was another one this morning at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

And that apparently is only the second shooting to specifically happen in a naval yard just this week.

Extremely normal country.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2019

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

Imagine thinking that someone is going to escape in a UPS truck while you have air support, heavy traffic, daytime conditions, and dozens of radio-equipped cops in eyeball range of the GIANT BROWN TRUCK and not just following it until it runs out of gas/crashes/etc.

Even if they hadn't killed someone, forcing them into a shootout was reckless disregard for the safety of virtually everyone in a 500yd radius.

If they hadn't killed everyone, good and bad alike, though, the bad guys may have hurt the hostages. And that woudl be worse because

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pearl clutching in 3,2,1...

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1202975255939158016

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Bye bitch

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1202976217659576321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

COOL CORN posted:

They were using long guns with 5.56 at point blank range, which has enough velocity to go through that first layer of siding on the truck, right on through the other side, and then through the next two cars’ windows.

The more I read about this the madder I get.

My dad is an ex-cop and he was horrified by this. These cops deserve prison, every last one of them. I balked again when I saw the one trying to defend them as "well one probably accidentally fired so the rest thought they were being shot at". gently caress, and you want these guys to come respond to your aid when you have a problem? I think it'd be safer for you to put the assailant's gun in your mouth than it would be to rely on the cops, at least the crim knows he'll get a harsher sentence (if he lives through the impending execution when the cops do arrive) and will be less inclined to pull the trigger for no reason

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

SKULL.GIF posted:

I mean, he died in May and the funding was passed at the end of June. His death was in fact one of the catalysts behind getting the funding passed as pointed out in the ProPublica piece.

I'm not here to stan for Pelosi and child death camps but "funding didn't fix things because this kid died" isn't what this story is about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guarantee you will hear arguments saying it's good to shoot hostages because then criminals will learn hostages won't protect them and stop taking them. :downsgun:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Anyone who hasn't watched News Dude's recent one on police training, now is an appropriate time. Touches on some of the reasons why so many cops are such triggerhappy dickhole trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzQrbio2Qw

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Failed Imagineer posted:

The man never watched a Bond movie in his life.

Incredible that he's riffing on a 6-mo old story, which was immediately debunked because 007 is a numerical designation and is not equivalent to James Bond

007 was also a German Tiger I commanded my Michael Wittmann, a German tank ace, when he was killed.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Dammit_Carl! posted:

re: violent rhetoric

Discovered that in the county in which we just moved, they apparently post the political affiliation of the adults in the house via county run website (can't recall if Mrs. said it was GIS or otherwise). I'm not tinfoil-hat level paranoid, but I do now live in a very red district and the knowledge that that sort of thing is out there with the crap being said on Twitter et al about "dealing with the libs," is worrisome to a degree.

Protect ya neck, goons.

In the 2016 election the Arizona GOP mailed its registered voters ads implying they'll tell your conservative neighbors if you didn't vote.

It of course didn't actually happen... but was it really just a campaign gimmick or did they just not bother because they won? :tinfoil:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

https://twitter.com/rklueber28/status/1202746837758889984

There was absolutely no reason for this and bystander death from a stray bullet in that heavy traffic was easily predictable. Really loving pisses me off.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The trick is the electoral college because she still won by 3 million votes :ssh:

Yeah Trump only needs to continue conning a bunch of white people in Wisconsin, and the past ten years shows this works even more than half the time. Hell, Walker barely lost last year and that was a wave election.

He’s got a lot of things going against him too, but there’s no reason to assume it won’t be close, and certainty on the outcome is a dumb bet when elections are close.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 6, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

VH4Ever posted:

It makes me angry because it was senseless and preventable. Stop with the police chases. Enough. And I agree with what a compatriot posted on Twitter: take away their guns for a year. Let's just try it.

I doubt it will do much. They murder people just fine without guns. They still have cars, armored vehicles, explosives, tasers, mace and pepper spray....plus the ability to call in a dozen or so of their coworkers to subdue and beat a guy in a bathrobe senseless.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah he only needs to continue conning a bunch of white people in Wisconsin, and the past ten years shows this works even more than half the time. Hell, Walker barely lost last year and that was a wave election.

This will probably also be a wave election

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

RandomBlue posted:

https://twitter.com/rklueber28/status/1202746837758889984

There was absolutely no reason for this and bystander death from a stray bullet in that heavy traffic was easily predictable. Really loving pisses me off.

This is unbelievably crazy. If this happened in Sweden, the entire police force administration would be reeling from the backlash for years.

But it’s America so I guess police are allowed to cosplay GTA at Will now.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

So whoever corrected me about not getting news from The Guardian is spot on:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/06/florida-ups-truck-hijacked-police-chase
Article goes through pains to avoid mentioning anywhere that all 4 people died from COP BULLETS. Every one of the following lines of text is about the people getting shot and dying from cop bullets and not a single mention of it anywhere.

quote:

Four killed after robbers hijack UPS truck and lead police on chase

Driver, both robbers and a fourth victim in a nearby vehicle were killed in dramatic shootout in busy south Florida intersection

Four people, including a driver of a UPS delivery truck, were killed Thursday after robbers stole the driver’s vehicle and led police on a chase that ended in gunfire at a busy south Florida intersection during rush hour

Both robbers were killed in the dramatic shootout, and the fourth victim was in a nearby vehicle when shots rang out at a crowded intersection in Miramar

Television news helicopters showed first responders tending to at least one person who fell out of the UPS truck, moments after several shots were fired when the chase ended.

In Coral Gables, where the incident began, police said a jewelry store worker was also injured but did not say if she had been shot.

The UPS truck finally stopped in the middle of a busy roadway, caught behind a wall of other vehicles waiting for a red light to turn green. Television footage showed several officers on foot, some with guns drawn, approaching the truck from the rear and the driver’s side once it stopped.

Witness Katherine Gonzalez said officers were near her vehicle when “out of nowhere” the shooting started.

“It was shocking,” she said.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 6, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Has anyone identified the pigs yet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I couldn’t find a single article that didn’t intentionally try to mislead the reader about who murdered the civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

This will probably also be a wave election

“Trump will probably lose Wisconsin by 1 point depending on turnout if all goes as in 2018” is not exactly a giant comfort.