Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Roblo posted:

That's hardly a gotcha or some impressive ratio. Slightly more people responded than liked the tweet? Oh wow she's taking a beating.

you seem like a fun person

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1176478715800367104
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1176491109805121536

maggie starting to do that thing where she not-so-subtly says things people are telling her on background

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

Here's another one for the pile. I imagine offices that haven't released a statement yet are scrambling to do so.

I wonder if Pelosi's office is issuing form letters?

Again though yall, be ready for the actual announcement to be delayed until Friday. Schiff was pretty clear he was giving the IGIC/DNI until Thursday to release the whistleblower docs before he threw out subpoenas.

it makes sense that these people don't want to be perceived as having only voted for this when Pelosi leaned on them after everyone's agreed to have a vote.

instead, they want to pretend this is the final straw and they arrived at the decision totally independently

and yeah, it's going to be contingent upon further obstruction at the thursday hearing, but I think we can reasonably count on that to happen

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

What? No, opening an impeachment inquiry absolutely does give them additional authority, they no longer have to show that their subpoenas have a legitimate legislative purpose and several other hurdles in the way disappear (e.g.: 6(e) grand jury secrecy).

And you've confused one method for the enforcement of subpoenas for the sole method of enforcement. A criminal referral to the DOJ is obviously useless, which is why historically Congress has gone to federal court for civil enforcement of its subpoenas, because once you get a federal judge order someone to comply, defying that federal judge is a surefire ticket to sanctions and jail time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah this is very obviously a demonstration of the "trump needs glasses and refuses to get them" theory

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AhhYes posted:

Thanks for the clarification.

After more looking I found a good explanation of the differences here: https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-powers-does-formal-impeachment-inquiry-give-house

It's worth a look if you're interested.

yeah, this is a good piece that summarizes it. in short: yes, impeachment inquiry Good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

of course it's not calling for impeachment if it's intended to be passed wednesday, the entire plan right now is to wait until they refuse to turn over the complaint on thursday before moving

this kind of thing is continuing to set the stakes and give cover for the move, following thursdays hearing, to impeachment

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Would impeachment make any difference as far as making the administration comply with subpoenas?

Yes. You can look a few pages back for the lawfare link.

Phenotype posted:

Like, can they just drag Mnuchin out of the office and into a cell if he gives another terrible excuse why he's not handing over Trump's tax return?

but no this in particular will never happen

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I read that, but it doesn't seem to answer my central question, which is "What can Congress do if the White House still says 'lol no'?" Okay, impeachment makes it easier to issue subpoenas, and it blows up the Trump team's main legal objections to complying with the subpoena. But what if they say "gently caress you, we're still not releasing that because executive privilege presidential harassment fake news etc" and just continue the stonewall? Then can we get Mnuchin or Barr or someone getting perpwalked across the White House lawn?

you sue them to enforce the subpoenas in federal court, dude. what do you think that long piece on lawfare was talking about

they've literally already done this, these legal fights are currently happening and the trump argument for why they shouldn't be enforced is literally "this isn't impeachment"

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 24, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I understood that, but what punishment do they face if they don't comply with a court order?

Like, if there's a smoking gun, are they really going to turn it over?

google chelsea manning

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

This has been true since last year. It really is the fact that Trump is going after the presumed candidate that has made her move.

This is incorrect. We only got up to a slim majority in favor of impeachment right around the time of the Mueller testimony this summer, since then it's increased very slowly to the high 130s, up until the landslide of the last 24 hours.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bird cooch posted:

Uh. I don't think that that's going to make the point you want to make.

perhaps try the Pentagon papers for somebody who went out of their way to do something good.

the point is that federal judges will throw you in jail (and order awful fines) when you don't do what they say and they have a frankly stupid amount of power to do that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KillHour posted:

There's no way the complaint could be about this then, because they wouldn't do this. They'd pull the Mueller report poo poo again.

journalists have been fairly clear that the whistleblower complaint refers to the call, but not only the call.

no one is calling for the release of just the transcript, lol. but a good sign that trump is scared

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dubar posted:

I'm not an expert in campaign finance laws, but I would imagine it is also a crime to use campaign donations for "defense", and I'm not sure what money would be used for in this case other than bribery of congresspeople

it won't be, they'll say literally anything in donation emails/text this is not unusual at all, they are completely insane

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

nope, it's tallies of people in favor of opening the inquiry

but as a practical matter the public will not understand the distinction so it's people willing to face ads saying they supported impeaching trump, so it's not a far leap from this list to the list of votes in favor of impeachment as soon as the requisite process occurs

yeah i'd rather there be a vote just to avoid delay in the cases where trump lawyers inevitably argue "but there's never been a vote, nothing has changed, this isn't a formal impeachment inquiry"

but at least we know the votes will definitely be there whenever it happens

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the funny thing about getting mad at the Ukraine whistleblower's attorney is that...

dude was the IG who did the clinton email investigation lmao

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this reminds me of the post-Charlottesville presser that started at like 4:30 where you could also see the sundowning happening in real time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Why don't we have a copy of the whistleblower complaint yet?

the committees do

it's not supposed to be released publicly (maybe it will be, but the law certainly doesn't call for that)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1176968722961129478

this is correct lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

a very notmad poster once called me a "low rent evilweasel" and it was one of the finest compliments of my posting career :911:

im having trouble following evilweasel;s posts because the avatar is changing every four minutes due to so many people still holding a grudge lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

morcant posted:

I missed most of them, anyone got that site where you can look up old avs lol

you can open the image in chrome and just change the final number to see old avs (e.g. if it's currently 13, 01-12 should be the previous avs). won't show text tho

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mendrian posted:

There are lots of rules that sternly suggest that the Senate must perform the hearings; even that they must hear the full evidence, without interruption, under penalty of arrest.

So in other words, the rulebook says a dog can't play basketball.

maybe I'm missing the joke but no rules like you describe exist and even if they did, a majority could throw them out in a heartbeat

1) a procedure that at least looks like a trial if you squint
2) with the chief justice at least sitting in the chair in the middle of things
3) and a vote

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ham posted:

I can see a strong argument for Trump not getting removed, but why would you be so certain as to impeachment? Pelosi has put all the eggs in this basket.

celestialscribe has a long history of being hilariously wrong about elections in this thread, so i assume this is no different

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

so wait, are we, the public, or are we not getting the complaint at any point? feel like we have to given the open hearing tomorrow.

it has to be declassified first

according to dems talking tonight, there are at least some portions that are definitely legitimately classified and must be redacted. they say that the vast majority can be read by the public though

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tucker resisted calling him the f word but it will surely come out sooner or later

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Redacted to the rest of Congress or to the public?

yeah, to echo others, dems who read it immediately said that some parts were legitimately classified because sources/methods/etc, but that it could be easily redacted

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

He's shoring up his credibility and covering his rear end. He's walking us through how he didn't do anything wrong, and he's never done anything wrong.

it does seem like this guy did not do anything wrong, tbf

but i understand why he'd want his opening statement to be "I am not involved in this criminal conspiracy"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i take back my statement about how this guy did nothing wrong

he clearly was desperately afraid of being fired if he followed the law, and instead took it to the white house to find an excuse to violate the law

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Nunes is notoriously stupid, even among his very stupid colleagues.

reminder devin nunes is suing a twitter account that pretended to be his cow for defamation

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nunes is so stupid that he's making this guy mad at him instead of keeping him on his side.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

loving lol. That's all Nunes has got - how did people find out about the crimes?!

he didn't even use his full time

very low energy and sad

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oracle posted:

Another significant note in the Classified Appendix:

absolutely. and I guarantee that that came through Steve Mnuchin and he is 110% involved in all this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mahoning posted:

So it seems that the GOP members of the committee are going to attack the process of what went on rather than the substance. They're also tone policing. They know they can't really attack this on the facts they're just like "This shouldn't be going on in the public and this is tearing our country apart and I'm sorry Mr. Director if the Dems are mean to you."

yeah and that's a really good sign. traditionally, the party making procedural arguments rather than substantive ones tends to lose because normal people don't understand or care about procedural bullshit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't think either of them have $50k

...oh great here comes Wernstrom Wenstrup :argh: complaining about what Schiff said in his opening remarks again.

"This is no place for parody" well then why are you here.

lol the other day they had announced some insane press conference and one reporter (who is on the "Wohl doing insane things" beat) showed up where it was supposed to be, at Burkman's apartment - he'd forgot he had scheduled it, and quickly got into a cab and left

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao Wenstrup's point is "we should change the law to protect Trump"

good luck buddy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

just want to flag this because holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1128141760117510145

russian media knew this happened back in May, we only just confirmed it in the whistleblower complaint today (as you can see, Davis thought this was just bullshit at the time it first happened)

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1177234658058285056

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Credit where credit is due, it's rare nowadays to see reporters admitting fault like this

tbf Davis's whole deal is watching Russian news and posting about what state propaganda is being put out, so it's no surprise she assumed it was lies, the vast majority of it is

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah wait a minute, how the gently caress would Russian state media know this in May?

Oracle posted:

Uh, holy poo poo. Either the Russians have bugged White House communications, have a mole in the office, or Trump's keeping them updated on everything he does WRT Ukraine.

they could've just learned from Ukraine - I'm sure Rudy and co. made it very clear that the reason that Pence's delegation was cancelled is that Trump was punishing them. Spying on Ukraine is like a primary thing russia does rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's not just the stupid and unsupported opinion that the president can't be indicted but that it keeps okaying obvious bullshit executive orders under multiple presidents. and obviously this bullshit over the whistleblower report.

for the record, the OLC's opinions are also often completely secret

there's literally an entire body of law applying to the executive branch of which we only know a small portion, when it's forced out in cases or through FOIAs

it's a terrible, hosed up system designed to shield the president and give them unilateral authority far in excess of their constitutional and delegated powers