Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I wish the GOP would release a list of the hallucinogenics their membership pounds down every morning before going on Twitter, because I imagine it’s some wild poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

We'll never pull that off, but even slightly more realistic plans for aggressive action will mean a world that's going to be drastically different by 2030. This is a problem that can't be solved by consumer action.

With the current state of politics, the US will never invest in carbon sequestering technology either, thanks to the Middle American death cults that exalt guns, greed and profit. We unfortunately need to start public works today, but I can’t see anything happening at all with the way the Republicans need to block any public good unless they personally profit from it. My only vain hope is that we bring back earmarks and pork-barrel poo poo to bribe Oklahoma and Texas to let us install wind and solar energy, and to bribe a few politicians to look the other way as we create research grants for carbon sequestering tech.

Basically this but fistfuls of cash instead of keys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5iACzPvf1o

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Oh your air sucks too much, we'll withhold highway funds until you let cars pollute the air more.

If I were coming into this conversation cold, I’d say “dude no there’s no way he is doing that, quit lying”, but nope, he really is doing that. :stonk:

Sundown The Clown is loving insane.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Consumer choice is not going to make enough of a difference in the limited time available. That's a huge understatement. Stop eating beef and bike to work if it makes you feel better but recognize that that's all you're going to accomplish: making yourself feel better.

Are you just trying to make yourself feel better because you drive a huge truck 80 miles to work round trip and you burn coal to heat your house, or something?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

"My solution to gun policy is personally not owning a gun"

Again, we can all do all of the things to"lower our footprint", and climate change will still happen at a barely detectably different rate. "At least I'm rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" isn't an argument.

Okay, by that same logic, gun owners who lock up their guns in safes or choose not to have a gun at all have almost no impact on gun violence or suicides. Let’s ask someone who had a family member commit suicide by pistol about re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Telling people there’s nothing they can do to help and that they shouldn’t change anything is like piling the loving deck chairs in front of an exit leading to a lifeboat.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but who is that first crack in the drat?

Mitt or Rubio?

No one in the house obviously.

The pro-fascism elites will be promising Rubio a tea-party style Chud primarying him the moment his lips leave Trump’s rear end. Same goes for Senator Bitch-rear end-The-Blobfish, Ted Cruz.

Edit:

Arglebargle III posted:

Telling people their individual consumer choices don't really matter to climate change (a true statement) and "telling people there's nothing they can do to help" are not the same.

Either it's political action or extralegal action at this point. That's your options. They aren't pleasant.

I agree it’s not going to be pleasant, but change on this scale rarely is. I just argue that waiting for climate change to make this planet inhospitable would be much more painful in the long run for everyone. If you think fascism is bad now, imagine what it looks like when people are hungry and supplies are running low. We’ll see literal advocation for culling the human population. Even in the second option, I’d rather see a drone blowing up a fracking facility than to have death-squads marching through and massacring the poor.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 24, 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

beejay posted:

Absolutely. We get some lovely president next who doesn't want to make any changes and won't pack the courts, and we're hosed even more than we are now.

If the next president doesn’t have the ability to enact a sweeping social change program like M4A or a jobs program or whatnot, there’s practically a guarantee we’ll get a goddamned fascist as the president afterwards thanks to the Republican mantra of “if first you don’t succeed, double-down and fash harder”.

At least I think that’s how the saying goes.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

In all honesty the great boomer die off will probably start before they get enough base to elect a fascist again.

Or so we can only hope.

I really hope so. As much as I hate Trump, I’m just glad he’s the fascist we got rather than a competent one.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

SQUAD (never in a million years but we can dream)

A bunch of Women of Color dunking on trump and dragging his dirty laundry into the light would result in a removal from office via the president having a rage-induced aneurism.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thanks for linking this as I was going to call my rep’s office and yell at her aides this afternoon, but it looks like McBath finally came around on impeachment. I was getting really salty over her for a while there.

Also glad to see Connor Lamb is still garbage and a bad rep.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear at this point that Republicans are going to turn this into Biden's email scandal. It's meaningless nonsense, but they aren't going to shut up about it for the next several months. It's going to be difficult for Democrats to make sure that the focus actually stays on Trump during an impeachment.

Yeah this is going to go 100% like the Clinton email
hearings where the Dems ask questions based in reality while the Republicans read Infowars talking points and ask where they torture the kids in pizza shops. The GOP is going to run interference hard, especially if Trump starts to get scared and throws the senators who helped him under the bus.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Infrastructure week during impeachment would break the simulation, resulting in Trump successfully convincing Republicans and Blue-Dog Democrats to dissolve Congress, Trump declaring himself God Emperor and then ordering his own execution.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Retro42 posted:

Shocked Collins hasn’t announced her retirement yet. Everything I’ve seen is that polling is looking ugly for her.

The only thing I can think of with Collins et. al. is that they need to keep up the facade of staying in the fight as long as possible to get as many bribes they can before they lose the primary or general. If they had an offer of a bullshit fluff position on a board somewhere, you’d see them announcing their retirement right away.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

This isn't 100% true. McConnel's wife is secretary of transportation and one of the ways that he intimidates other republicans into submission is by threatening to cut highway funds.

Yeah this administration is so corrupt I had forgotten that’s a thing. Jesus, I hope that Trump achieves a moment of cognitive clarity and throws McConnel and his wife under the bus in these impeachment hearings

Edit: just called Rep. McBath and let her aides know that she did a good thing. Please remember to call and thank those who signed on to the impeachment proceedings!

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 24, 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know people point to the impeachment trials for Nixon being the breaking of the dam regarding his approval rating leading in the end to him losing his parties support and the resignation but I’m having trouble believing that can happen again with the right wing media bubble that now exists to literally stop that from happening again. Not saying it’s not worth doing but I don’t know if the dam will ever break for him baring an economic meltdown.

I hear you, but I think the difference is supposed to be that the investigative committees pull out a shitload of dirty laundry, enough to the point where the people who are indifferent to politics start to understand the depths of the corruption and crimes through cultural osmosis.

Anecdotes =/= evidence and all, but I know of a trust fund kid who reliably votes republican but only from the standpoint of “I want to keep my house and need the tax breaks”. She’s also big into animal rescue orgs and helps out a shitload with charities. The point is to show people like her how disgusting the GOP has become and see if they’ll stay home, or write in Mickey Mouse.

Yes, doing this from the standpoint of stopping people from voting is poo poo, but with our two party system it’s pretty much the only option we have. :shrug:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

I don't agree with this. Getting people to no longer vote for a bad actor is a good thing. Removing someone's ability to make the choice is not. Voter suppression bad, voter depression just peachy keen.

I want to argue that everyone should vote as a matter of principal but you’re 100% in the right here.

:allears: Here’s hoping some aide on the inside does a tell-all about Donny watching TV this evening.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
“If you can keep it” better be your mantra through this thing Pelosi because we’re gonna need a spine here.

Pollyanna posted:

Huh. The House actually tried for impeachment a little.

Next up is collecting evidence and then a vote, right?

Yep. This can take a while, but hopefully they’ll be dropping juicy facts and figures for us throughout the proceedings. Just enough to get the public enraged and more republicans to retire.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Super-Id posted:

These tweets are pathetic even for him. He can't even muster any energy to defend himself.

Good. Let him stay like this until January 2021, tired and broken in a pit of despair, so no more of his dumb-poo poo bigoted ideas escape his skull.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Catalyst-proof posted:

I see Executive Time is going well.

Someone’s crying into a bucket of KFC while slamming the Diet Coke button in between each sob. :qq:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

Oh my god if Greta Thunberg dunks on him for impeachment I could die right now a happy man.

I don’t want her to draw any more ire with unstable chuds for her safety but goddamn I’d love to see the red hot rage from trump if she told him he was getting impeached for being incompetent and a criminal.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

It's almost like Congress was hamstringing itself for no reason

I look forward to debating evolution believers on how a bunch of democrats suddenly grew spines outside of divine intervention. :smugmrgw:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

DeeplyConcerned posted:

drat! I was really hoping for something in those transcripts! Oh well. Still, better hand them over anyway just to be sure

I was initially a bit afraid the transcripts would be harmless, but after Trump attempted a mulligan with Pelosi and now with the White House playing down the whole thing this will probably end up being something insane.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lili'uokalani will, at long last, have her vengance

Please, lili’uokalani, we’re already dead. :qq:

CmdrRiker posted:

If this latest offense turns out to not be enough to successfully impeach Trump, then will anything ever be? I am trying to re calibrate my expectations here.

It’s not so much the impeachment itself that’s important, it’s dragging out the dirty laundry he’s been hiding. There is less than a zero chance the GOP senators would vote for his removal from office, this is just to make Trump voters regret voting for him and try to primary him / not vote at all come November 2020.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

LOL, of loving course. Thanks for confirming the report is bad for you, Trump, you loving moron.

A preview of the transcripts to come:

Edit: I’m bad at linking things.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What's Fox news saying? I don't want to kill my brain cells.

I don’t want to check either but I’m gonna hazard a guess the newsroom looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNGsUmJzIM

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Good to see the forums’ chuds are making their way into the thread to try to play down the transcripts and exonerate big orange daddy. Weird they’re getting nervous.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I can imagine some congressional aide sitting in a room, exhausted from stress and reading the talking points memo sent out when his eyes crawl up to the To: list in the email and, in shock, he blurts out “who is ‘n.pelosi@congress.gov’?”

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

you joke but actually yes, it was pelosi's office itself they sent it to (possibly among others)

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1176891940169834499

Holy poo poo I just made up a dumbest, worst-case scenario in my head and they managed to exceed it. This loving administration.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Tori Q. Symonds, you better get your resume updated.

Edit:

skylined! posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tori-symonds-b86b5948/

White House Director of Government Communications

Soon to be Former White House Director of Government Communications. :cawg:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

If it looks like Pelosi might become president the Senate GOP will acquit Trump of even this stuff, at which point we careen straight into chaostown and the republic dies

this is all hilarious but also mildly terrifying

I disagree: I can see them going after Trump and then acquitting Pence as a pawn in a greater plan he didn’t understand. If the outrage is bad enough that the shutting down impeachment will shatter the republic, they’ll throw Trump to the proverbial lion’s pit and then lay low for a while as the public gets to see the world’s biggest rear end in a top hat get what’s coming to him.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

It is hard for me to imagine a worse presidential candidate for right now than Mike Pence.

Agreed. The dude’s a religious nut job and has strong conservative chops (including literally shutting down clean needle programs to get at “them”) yet he is so strongly disliked that even Indiana was ready to toss his rear end out as governor had he stayed in the race in 2016.

The republicans would have more success running with a literal porkchop in a greasy old napkin.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That's pretty much a certainty at this point.

I'm eager to see how he shoots himself in the foot from here in out trying to stop the investigation. This will be like Russia times ten.

On the one hand, this will hurt a ton of innocent public servants and gently caress Trump for even trying. On the other hand, his approval rating went down pretty hard over this the last time he forced a shutdown, and there’s a non-zero chance that GOP senators will get caught up in his poo poo and may consider impeachment as a way to salvage their careers before their constituents start baying for blood.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Uh

They don't have control of him

He caused the last one

There’s a remote possibility that McConnel walks into the Oval Office and promises Trump a “Yea” vote on impeachment and his swift removal from office, as well as a VP that will refuse to pardon him for his many, many, many crimes. Extremely remote, but could be possible.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you think that making Trump's life an inescapable hell will reach point that he just says gently caress this and resigns?

Nah. Trump is a grievance-fueled, hateful moron who will never give up at being cruel. The only reason the gently caress ran for president was because Obama teased him over the birtherism thing, and Trump made it his life’s goal to destroy Obama’s legacy. It’s why his plans for “fixing” half the poo poo in the US is just getting rid of legislation and just letting things wither on the vine and die.

Michelle Obama wanted school lunch programs to serve healthier meals and breakfast, Trump is literally suggesting that poor kids don’t eat.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I was getting real confused at what she meant by “Fruity G”, thinking it was the code name the whistleblower gave themselves, and for a bit there, I thought “well, it’s better than Deepthoat”.

The very fact that I thought this was possible establishes that this is the most hosed up timeline.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Oh god Nunes is going into the same conspiracy theory bullshit that the ancient boomer coworker told me about yesterday. “Trump wasn’t colluding, it was THE DEMs! The party is collapsing, they’ll all be in prison in a week!” He then admitted that “only Fox is talking about this”.

This parallel universe poo poo is so tiresome, gently caress you Ailes and may there be a hell for you to rot in from you cursing us with this bullshit.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I turned to CNN because I was curious to see what was happening and what the anchors were saying. It was right as Schiff turned the floor over to Nunes and Nunes bleated something about "Democrat informational warfare". I couldn't change the channel fast enough. But if this is all they've got as a counter, then :lol:.

Nunes is Reading the “Best of Q-Anon Thanksgiving Conspiracies / Excuses list” and is trying to make this about Democrats being bitter over 2016 and nothing more. Despite the fact that the whistleblowers are giving, as said by another poster above, GPS-accurate directions to the dirt and with samples of what’s in there.

He’s basically doing what the GOP does: obfuscate, waste time and pray the populace loses interest in their crimes.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Tuff Scrote posted:

They took down the story and Travernise deleted her tweet

img-donald_glover_GOOD.mp4

Maguire is trying to tap dance around these questions. He's on Trump's side.

Not so sure if he’s on Trump’s side or if he’s afraid of the axe coming from an angry House and a senile, angry Trump, so he’s just trying his damnedest to stay out of the conversation.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

AHAHAAH SCHIFF GOT THE DNI TO ADMIT THAT THE WHISTLEBLOWER WAS ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

Schiff is building a base of support for the whistleblower and all future whistleblowers that the House Investigative Committee is there to listen and protect them when they see wrongdoings. That’s really good, really really good.

Hopefully anyone else seeing Trump’s crimes will be looking at this and realizing they have friends in Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rosalind posted:

It... literally says on the document's first page that it's not a transcript.

What do you believe, Fox or your own lying eyes?

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, "if you had followed the proper procedure then the criminals would have never been caught!" is not a winning argument.

It’s hilarious, though. It’s like a guy getting caught with big bags of cash stolen from the local bank and saying that the cops only caught him because they went out a fire exit when there was no fire.