Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I was riding into work with a lady who was listening to some kind of talk radio wherein they discussed how the whistleblower wasn't even listening to the call! therefore this wasn't real. As if this had any bearing on the fact that the president himself literally blurted out crimes.

The amount of cognitive dissonance and willful ignorance is stunning but the spin coming from the right is just painful to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Well, I mean, let's say you're one of the people trying to spin this and you don't have brainworms. What do you do? I mean, it's becoming patently obvious that the President of the United States threatened to withhold military aid from Ukraine if they didn't investigate a political opponent of his. Trump has admitted to talking about Biden on the call, and it's already known that he told Mick Mulvaney to put a hold on the $400 mil we were about to send them.

At this point, if your brain isn't swiss cheese and you're spinning this for Trump, your denials will sound ridiculously stupid.

Yeah there was an awful lot of grasping at straws that I heard until I put my headphones in and tried desperately to ignore it.

Once I was about to get out of the car, they were on about some attack by a bunch of black teens who killed a white dude "reminiscent of that 'knockout game' where black kids would just hit white people". Probably the most blatantly racist bullshit I've ever heard spoken out loud.

I don't know how people exist on a steady diet of this garbage but it's easy to see how it enormously warps your worldview

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Christ, I get stuck in meetings all day and like 500 new posts in USPol and the Dems grew a spine. What a day.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Impactful, because you probably couldn't get the Senate to unanimously agree that the sky is blue.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1176599864320385025?s=19

What exactly is the R's plan here? That the whistleblower report is a nothingburger, or are they drawing knives for Trump?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

skylined! posted:

Probably get it to the senate so the presiding party can spin it as soon as possible.

Seems like a risky move, they must be pretty confident there's nothing solid in it.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

crimedog posted:

I think the president did some crimes

wrap it up folks

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

this is not surprising at all since the IC complaint presumably contains classified information. The unredacted compliant needs to be released to the house and senate intel committees though, as they're actually cleared to read classified info.
e: i'm also surprised that the whistleblower's counsel is moving so quickly to go to congress, I'd be worried about an unhappy justice department suddenly enforcing your classified NDA and going to helljail.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Wait what? Even the transcript?!

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1176859118155501576?s=20

Someone post the article I got rid of my wapo after they let Tiny Face write an oped.

Holy loving poo poo

quote:

At the outset of the call, Trump also asks for Ukraine’s help in finding the location of the Democratic National Committee server that U.S. officials say was hacked by Russian intelligence in the run-up to the 2016 election.

“The server, they say Ukraine has it,” Trump says according to the transcript. “I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it.”

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Phoix posted:

Yeah this honestly seems like bigger news than the Biden bit.

I mean mushbrain big boy spouting half-remembered conspiracy theories to another world leader should immediately 25th him, I mean this is absolutely insane. What substance actually got done in this call other than this?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hope democrats push that this is not a transcript and that there are no phone trancripts

yeah, this is the GOOD version that was transcribed by friendly national security folks in his own administration. Is he actually loving proud he's spouting S/NF gibbrish?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I think this is the most damning part

quote:

· :Rudy very much knows what's happening and he is a very
capable guy. If you could _speak to him that would be great. The
former ambassador from the United $tates,· the woman., was bad
news �nd th� people she was dealing with in .the Ukraine .were bad
news so I jtist wan� to_let you know that� The ot�er thing,
There's a lot 6f. talk about Biden's son,. that Eiden stopped the
prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so
whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great.
Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if
you ·can look into it ... It sounds horrible to me.

Like let me have my personal lawyer call you and work with you, rather than my actual national security or DoS folks.
e: better

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I don’t think this is that bad for Trump. He doesn’t make any reference to the funds that were frozen.

The transcript is a ham handed red herring, the whistleblower complaint is the actual meat.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Most PDF readers/writers will auto-OCR text, this is Qannon level BS. Ignore it.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

The president called another world leader and all he wanted to talk about were US political scandals that the Ukranian president could help resolve in his favor.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

So did both the House and Senate *unanimously* pass resolutions telling the whitehouse to release the whistleblower report? I mean I'm sure R's did it for cynical reasons but goddamn that is pretty insane and maybe gives me just the tiniest twinkle of hope more than anything else in this hellworld.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I'm not sure I trust a twitter account with #resistance in the bio...

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

I wonder what the final straw was for whatever toadie blew the whistle.

Imagine if Comey or Mueller had a quarter of the stones. Nah. gently caress that. Comey and Mueller are complicit.

I think it's appropriate that Trump gets done-in by an intel officer after that awful speech he gave on his second day in office at CIA headquarters (cue Greenwald breathlessly jumping in and getting mad about the IC)

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m so upset that this complaint isn’t public.

To be fair, it probably has something like "our mole Slavov in the Ukrainian government, corroborated some conversation about X" in it which really needs to not be released.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

WITCH HUNT?
NO, COLLUSION!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Yo, if the president does crimes, I don't think "executive privilege" can stop the release of crimes, so the DNI is arguing a moot point.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I'm curious why the president would *want* to have private conversations with other world leaders, as Nunes implies. The president is supposed to be advocating on behalf of the US, not cutting loving deals that benefit him.

It's absolutely tradition to publish 'readouts' of discussion with foreign leaders, this is a perfectly normal thing.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Ahahahah this is amazing

CNN: whistleblower
MSNBC: whistleblower
CBS: whistleblower
FOX: ohh! blueberry syrup!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Trump's going to get off scott-free because you can't impeach a president and his lawyer for the same crimes and he's going to pin it all on Rudy.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I'm sure it always looks like that but drat that's a good picture

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

They should just be the IHOP Channel from now on

Worthy successor to the Gorilla channel

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

drat, I am getting absolutely no work done today with all these trickles of info coming out :(

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

quote:

Mr. Trump, returning from New York, resumed his diatribe against Democrats, saying “what these guys are doing, Democrats are doing, to this country is a disgrace.”

“It shouldn’t be allowed. There should be a way of stopping it, maybe legally through the courts,” he continued.

'But why can't all these corrupt judges I helped install stop this impeachment?'
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/us/politics/trump-impeachment.html

e: updated with the ful quote

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Why can't he say "good" or "very good". Why is it always a lovely use of a superlative with this fuckface? It frankly bothers me a little.

It's a 50s-era salesman thing, everything is the best, highest quality, perfect, etc.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

KillHour posted:

Ahahahaha. "We didn't hide this because we realized it was Trump committing a crime. We hid this because Trump insisted we start hiding everything because he doesn't trust anybody!"

This is incredibly dumb but I get the thought pattern that codeword systems are very compartmentalized and therefore less opportunity to have people distribute from them.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Sure, but we're already seeing Trump and co pivot to "oh it's nbd, we just classified all of his calls." Which they'll probably use as a reason for why they can't declassify everything and why we'll just have to trust them when they say that the calls were all above-board, honest!

Yeah, I'm sure he thinks if you just label his conversations MEGASUPERTOP SECRET/LOL/NOGOONS/STFU they'll never be leaked.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

The impeachment rules* say it's a standard vote with yea and nay being tallied. Interesting to note that as written, they're not required to vote on a specific threshold number of articles if there is more than one, e.g. the case cited:

nb: they gently caress with the rules when they can get away with it so :shrug:

this sounds almost like McConnell could just say "the senate chooses not to vote on any of the articles, since we all know they'll never pass *🐢wink*"

I mean, given this bullshit with Garland's seat, I would not put it past him.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

drat, yeah, the US government really is just a bunch of gentlemen's agreements and assumptions of good faith that just breaks down when you have pernicious actors like McConnell in power with unbeatable majorities and a willingness to thumb their nose at the rest of the country.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

I particularly enjoyed how after his first tweet blabbing on about how he was correct in using the "hyphen", he completely misses the correct usage of a hyphen in his very next tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177543513015246852

"Obama loving Peter Baker" has a very different literal meaning than "Obama-loving Peter Baker".

Hey I know we live in hellworld where words don't seem to matter anymore any anything the president says is basically taken as bullshit. BUT the president saying a journalist "shouldn't be able to write about me" seems awfully close to a violation of the first amendment.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

The last couple have disappeared; were they more unhinged than the other three? Is that even possible?
Could be these?

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1177551621712072705?s=20
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1177546222321582080?s=20

TAX
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1177083608885952512?s=20

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

I got discribed on the way back from the Lidl- last night. It was really confusing.

FTFY

e: goddamn shameful snipe

https://twitter.com/hourlyFox/status/1166293035103203328?s=20

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The really dumb, obvious lies aren’t to convince us or normal people. It’s for their hard core base that has decided already they are right and just need their marching orders on why they’re right. The lies are obvious and ridiculous to anyone else

There's a whole aspect to psychology about being part of the in-group by uncritical agreement with obvious lies and tropes.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

canepazzo posted:

NO PUPPET NO PUPPET YOU'RE THE PUPPET

The sad thing is this worked in 2016 so he's just going to keep at it. Not to re-litigate, but Dems are going to need an actual messaging to keep pushing this narrative of corruption by Trump and not assume that CNN or NPR will carry water for them or that 'the facts speak for themselves' which they clearly don't.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

See, to me the reason why this is such a big deal is because there is a bight bright line that he crossed and be easily pointed to unlike the Mueller report. Asking a forcing government to dig up dirt or create a scandal to take out a political rival is such a corrupt move that is easily understandable by a lot of people. Mueller's report while damning has to be explained WHY it's so damning. Here is the narrative does speak for itself, the President is corrupted beyond the point of repair and needs to be replaced.

The other difference between now and 2016 is that the President is an actual known quantity now. People (stupidly) thought it was bluster or convinced themselves that he wasn't that bad. You can't say that anymore. Here it is, in the flesh, he is that bad. His approval ratings were abysmal before this, now it's just more proof he sucks.

Though, I do agree having a message is good.

Trump was caught on tape in his own words saying he would grab women by the genitals and won election just a few months later. I mean, that was a different time, but don't think his re-election campaign won't work like hell and collude with R leadership and Fox news to spin the gently caress out of it with nicely written talking points. The Fox/R leadership was caught off guard by Trump's sudden release of the call memo and the release of the whistleblower report, but by Monday they'll have all coordinated and messaged this to hell and the Dems will need to respond in some way that's not "hey CNN here's the bothsides report you were looking for!"

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

luxury handset posted:

who outside of the trump campaign wants trump as president for another term? fox was making hay out of trump as a ratings generator to oppose the hated hillary clinton. republicans were similarly expecting trump to lose and holding him up as a spoiler when he improbably won the primary. the trump presidency has been a horror show, they don't even have the excuse of "at least he's good for business" because he's constantly pointing a loaded pistol at the economy. the republicans will put up a token show of support for their boy because it's bad form to just walk away from an election entirely but how much enthusiasm can there really be for president wet brains after everything that happened between 2017 and 2020?

both fox and the gop need a rebuilding term where they can go back to the status quo of being an obstructionist party, without having to try to voice that position while also kowtowing to a cranky fascist wannabe

Trump is rabidly popular with his base of stupid white people, which apparently comprise at least 35% of the voting/mypillow-purchasing population. That's a lot of sweet boomer cash to tempt anyone into brushing aside his inanity. Also judges (which would be true regardless of which pile of wasps in a suit with an R next to their name occupied the WH but whatever).

Without Trump, the R's stand no chance of getting the presidency in 2020. They have hitched their wagons to his diaperd rear end and and need him to continue to be relevant.

e: typo

ewiley fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 27, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Good move, keep this in the news and in front of everyone. The more televised house committee investigations the better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Herewaard posted:

Would US v Nixon apply if it's a congressional subpoena in the pursuit of an impeachment inquiry? Would SCOTUS not just say "ehhh that's a political question and congress can just impeach the executive if he refuses to turn over evidence that is duly subpoened" ?

I can't imagine the whitehouse could say 'nuh uh' after they released one call transcript and not release all the others for Congress to review.