Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but who is that first crack in the drat?

Mitt or Rubio?

No one in the house obviously.

Maximum comedy would be Graham (correctly) seeing he could get more camera-time being the face of the GOP impeachment supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

pelosi is on board because the swing district reps are on board, and those reps are on board because this is so loving bad even one of the fox and friends hosts was like "well im sure the left is lying but if this was true it would be really bad" while trump was busy admitting it was true

they're moving because they think they've found what are, basically, the nixon tapes

It is easy to kind of skip over it because we've been desensitized by Trump's continuous lawbreaking but holy poo poo is what he did bad. It really doesn't get much worse on the "abuse of office" scale than "Hey, take out a political rival of mine or I'll use my official powers to hurt you" (he's done morally worse things of course).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

what he did is exactly what he was accused of doing in the russia investigation, except this time he did it directly, on tape

I disagree, in the Russia investigation he was accused of promising to do certain things if elected, this time he actually did them. A quid-pro-quo is much easier to prove when a bribe is actually paid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bird cooch posted:

The only answer to any of the Biden stuff is "Biden is not president. And if he did something illegal, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, stop trying to change the subject"

No even that's too much. Never engage with the distractions at all or they will run with it.

"We're talking about Trump and what Trump did." is all that is needed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The most predictable thing ever happened.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Glumslinger posted:

Reminder how much of this poo poo Rudy has been bragging about for months

https://twitter.com/DanAmira/status...ingawful.com%2F

Can’t wait for the house to drag that mush brain in front of them and force him to answer questions under oath.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that was almost 20 years ago and he pissed that good will all away outside the various ghouls.

Doesn’t he legitimately have brain damage?

Like Tila Tequila style make-you-a-nazi brain damage?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool, than he is even more hated. like i can legit see him shutting down the goverment to save himself.

Threatening to withhold funds unless he gets his way is all Trump knows.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's just so hard to spin 'the president used 550 million dollars of foreign aid as a bribe for sabotaging his opponent. He and his lawyer have already admitted to it and apparently there are tapes and transcripts.'

They were built on the assumption that the criminal would be somewhat competent, instead they elected Trump.

In awe of the stupidity of this lad. Absolute Moron.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Taerkar posted:

"They do it even worse than us!" has been the GOP's main form of defense for decades now. And like many others things the media is complicit.

I honestly believe that decades of using that as a defense has left the the GOP full of people who don't know that it is a bullshit cover story. They really think the Democrats constantly get away with much worse so they don't bother to hide what they are doing and are shocked when they get caught.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

This talking point of ‘Dems refuse to accept 2016 results’ is pretty loving weak considering no one on the Dem side has even brought that up

What else have they got?

Besides Trump is still obsessed with 2016 so it makes sense he would accuse democrats of the same.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zapf Dingbat posted:

"debate me, coward"

You're giving too much credit, even Shapiro is better than this crap. I demand higher quality trolling!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

yeah seriously, this is what they tried to release to block the need to release the whistleblower report

Like showing a disembodied leg to mollify the cops demanding to search your basement.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

he seems really mad that he went to all the effort to merely imply the threat and people aren't letting him off the hook as a result

Or he knows there is proof of an explicit quid pro quo and is doing the "lady doth protest too much" thing he always does when he knows he's done a thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Only 10 more votes yes needed for the democrats to impeach

While great the tally doesn't exactly matter at the moment. We don't want a fast vote. We want several months of the House ripping into everything Trump (and him flailing wildly), then the impeachment vote.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

there is a possibility republican judges could rule that the house can't seek impeachment subpoenas without a vote of the full house (this is nonsense, but it's been argued by republicans) so it does matter somewhat

I thought these tallies were of people saying "yeah he's guilty as poo poo, I'd vote to send this to the senate" not just the process in general.

Which now that I think about it doesn't make much sense right now so I'm not sure where I got it from.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kevyn posted:

Wait, did they try to “Unsend” the email like it’s mid-90s AOL? Ahahahaha

Exchange lets you pull back emails in certain situations, but if you already read it or even just had your Outlook client up it you get a "soandso would like to recall" message instead.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

reminder on the "three" vs "eight"

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1176898036934619136

there is at least one more call with more incriminating statements cause they didn't release that one

Oh look, Maggie pushing Trump-friendly narratives. What a strange occurrence.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

maggie's original tweet was misleading but she's busting trump talking points in that tweet

But unless that talking point is actually catching anywhere (which I don't see but I could be missing) even repeating the talking point as part of a (mild) refutation like she is is doing is helping it propagate more and laying the groundwork for accusations that news organizations are mischaracterizing the contents of the call notes.

I dunno, I feel like somewhere along the last six months or year I've completely lost any presumption of neutrality with Maggie since even her articles saying the Trump admin lied or did something wrong have a very odd glass half full feel to them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dick Trauma posted:

He is going to be exactly the same as he was before. He'll go back to his tower and his TV shows and his idiotic tweets like nothing ever happened.

There is the chance that Twitter bans him once he's no longer president. Remote, but possible.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really think Trump is going to shut the government down again to try and hold it hostage to stop the investigations.

"I'm using my official powers to block funding until you do what benefits me personally" might be the worst possible way for Trump to respond to this.

So that's almost guaranteed to happen.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What if he just stops mid sentence and walks off?

Our nightmare ends.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ringo Star Get posted:

Guaranteed he told an aide that he used to pull poo poo like this when he would run his businesses. This is great proof of why you can’t run a country like a business.

Only good thing Trump has been responsible for is my father has finally shut the gently caress up about "we need a businessman to run the country".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just a reminder that today Trump roped Pence into this, hard. Even said he would release Pence's call transcripts.

Everyone Trump touches gets destroyed it is amazing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skylined! posted:

He's going to try and take anyone down with him that he can.

He has the power to take us all down.

But I think he's going to be so busy knifing the people he thought should have "protected" him that he won't get around to global thermonuclear war.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AhhYes posted:

I still can't believe that 4 hours later the only statements we've seen from Republicans who have seen the full report are three saying "troubling."

That's nuts. Feels big to me. Under normal circumstances they'd be doing what Graham did this morning.

It really must be completely and totally damning. I wonder what the classified bits are, maybe Rudy's overseas calls were tapped?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Trump sent Rick Perry to meet with Zelensky until he knew that Z would play ball.

Likely the smartest thing he's ever done. Rick Perry was notorious in Texas for meticulously avoiding any permanent records of his graft and corruption. He'd have people fly/drive from Amarillo to Austin to meet in person and avoid a phone call.

Then he handed it off to Rudy lol.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ah there it is. "I had no loving clue what to do with this"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paradoxish posted:

It's this. Maguire is a huge coward. He knew he was in a world of poo poo when he got the report, so he did everything in his power to try to cover all of his bases while remaining just technically on the right side of legal. Now he's desperately trying to thread a needle in his testimony where he can remain apolitical, unopinionated, and also not in jail.

That's my impression as well, and since he's career military he should be exceptionally skilled at threading that needle by following the procedure down to the last word. Olympic level rear end-covering is pretty much a requirement to be where he is.

He's just got absolutely no room for error and his partner who was holding the needle is a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

loving lol. That's all Nunes has got - how did people find out about the crimes?!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rabble posted:

Maguire really was stuck between a rock and a hard place. What a poor unfortunate soul.

He swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic and when forced to do so he resorted to technical rear end-covering.

I wouldn't want to be him right now for sure but I also don't feel like he deserves much pity.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paradoxish posted:

lol I have no idea what giuliani actually does for the president either, buddy

His body language when Rudy's name was mention was great. A full body "hosed if I know, does he even know?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oracle posted:

Uh, holy poo poo. Either the Russians have bugged White House communications, have a mole in the office, or Trump's keeping them updated on everything he does WRT Ukraine.

I'm pretty sure that Russia has exceptionally good intelligence sources in the Ukrainian government and I'm sure that Trump wasn't exactly circumspect about why he was cancelling all the travel. All it would take is the new Ukrainian president ranting about it and they'd hear it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really hosed up government officials thought it was acceptable to just call it "cyber".

There is almost certainly a program or department out there that has an incredibly convoluted name to avoid being Cyber S.E.X.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HOW?!?!

How does this man exist?!? How can someone so consistently fire a cannon into their foot and keep walking?!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

lmao he thinks the problem is people think he was too mean on the call

Who was it in this thread that called that? Impressive insight into mushbrain there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Angry_Ed posted:

It's not a question of what it would accomplish, it's a question of what Trump thinks it would accomplish.

Trump is also a spiteful rear end in a top hat, don't forget that too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Prester Jane posted:

The thing that makes this crime so different from other crimes in the minds of the American public is that although the average American genuinely struggles to understand what something like gerrymandering is or what fits the legal definition of obstruction of justice- the average American understands quite well how a mob shakedown works.

For not the first time our cultures obsession with producing fiction based around the lives of mobsters is paying dividends.

And this isn't even a good mob shakedown. This is a mob shakedown that would feature in a Naked Gun movie.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lote posted:

Not that anyone cares too much about this, but there are specific laws protecting whistleblowers from retaliation that everyone who works at a Federal agency gets told about during their job training.

Not just during job training, yearly.

They also hammer hard how it isn't just an option to blow the whistle but an ethical obligation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oracle posted:

loving THIS. Root and branch, root them all out root and branch or they will keep popping up like bad pennies. See: loving everyone in Nixon's administration, they all popped up for Iran-Contra and again for W's shitshow.

Yep. We're in this gagglefuck because we didn't destroy everyone connected to Nixon and the lesion they all learned was "don't get caught but if you do no biggie".

It is absolutely critical that heads roll for Trump's crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't consider this a spelling mistake honestly

Same. Saw it in the preview and left it in.