Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I Am Just a Box posted:

Read the HRG anyway though, that book is great all around.

I'm not familiar with this acronym, which book is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The layout and art of V5 is absolutely horrible but its a fun system imo

Whenever the bad art comes up I instantly think of the picture of two street punk vampires fighting with a chain and another just chilling on a motorcycle with a machine gun. Like, what the gently caress is even supposed to be happening here? It's like a scene from an Italian Mad Max ripoff.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ElNarez posted:

As illustrations of things that happen in the World of Darkness the art in Vampire V5 makes absolutely no goddamn sense, but, as fashion photography in some kind of vampire lifestyle magazine, I think they work, and I think it makes sense to play up the glamorous aspect of the vampire fantasy as a counterpoint to the line's ongoing metaplot where it is absolutely the worst time to be a vampire since the first Inquisition. All together it sells a fantasy of "You're gonna be miserable, but also really really hot" that makes for a pretty good selling pitch.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Loomer posted:

Mostly I dug lore sheets, to be honest, rather than hunger dice.

I liked those a lot too, along with touchstones/convictions, and ambitions/desires.

The latter mainly because I've played with many people that are aimless in the game and they at least have something they can look at and take action towards.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

And Loresheets are from Weapons of the Gods, Touchstones from VtR 2E...

See, I'd have no way of knowing about either of these. I never got into Requiem at all.

Hell, I didn't come back at all until V20.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

VTES post incoming.

Black Chantry announced last year that the fifth edition of the game was in development and it's expected to be released at some point in Q2-Q3 this year. This new editions is going to consist in a box with preconstructed decks and all the necessary items to play. The theme will be Camarilla vs Anarchs and will follow the V5 plotline and it will include new cards, especially for the Anarchs. Testing has been going on for a while and spoiler season will commence soon. Really looking forward for the new anarch cards, they need more love.

In other news, Black Chantry has launched a new singles print-on-demand service with Drivethrucards. Basically they will slowly make old cards available on Drivethrucards, for now only Assamites are available, each single is 0,35$ and minimum 10 cards per order. This is pretty neat, letting you buy old cards on demand without going through the secondary market is huge, especially for new players.

Not bad for a twenty-five year old dead game.

So will the old cards be compatible with new stuff or is it gonna be an all new things as far as what's legal? Either way I'm here for it, I'd just like to have a use for all my old cards other than nostalgia.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh I didn't know there was a ban list still.

*skims ban list*

Yep that all makes complete sense too.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Or if you're like Al Capone, it becomes almost all of those. His feeding restriction was young attractive Italian women. Not Italian-American even. They had to come from the motherland.

Another Chicago Ventrue could only feed on Vietnam veterans and all I could ever think was how hosed that guy was gonna be in the relatively near future.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I Am Just a Box posted:

That one reminds me of New Wave Requiem, the 80s setting book for nVampire, which presents the bizarre occult cul-de-sac of Playback, an alternate Auspex power that replaces The Spirit's Touch and allows you to read data or media stored magnetically, like on VHS or floppy disk, with a touch, but explicitly not optical or electronic media like CDs or flash drives. And a vampire who develops Playback instead of The Spirit's Touch can't go back to learn the Spirit's Touch instead.

Some Mekhet, I guess, are mad to this day that Betamax never took off.

Holy poo poo, I've never heard of this and it sounds amazing. A lot of NWoD missed me so it's always neat to find out about books like Slashers/Threat Recognition Guide etc.

Arivia posted:

the idea of his preferred feedstock changing is a miss on some good personal horror I think

can you imagine the lengths a vampire would go to when he has no ability to sate that gnawing, screaming beast? Like that's super super good right there

This conversation made me think of one of the more horrific feeding restrictions from Chicago, Horatio Ballard's. He can only feed from the children in his family but there's a bit in his entry that mentions all the kids have to spend one week a year with him and it makes my skin crawl.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

this is known as the Crowley-Hubbard Principle.

I dunno if it's the same everywhere but Tremere always attracted the most eye rolling IRL satanists and wannabe occultists to show up to the game.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

* Celerity and Potence are actually substantially weaker in V20, although of course oWoD combat balance kind of blah in general. Meanwhile, does anyone actually know how the V5 Celerity power "Lightning Speed" works yet?

On the other hand, this means that someone looking to indulge in oWoD nostalgia should probably avoid V5 because they'll find a lot of options they used to have substantially constrained.

I agree completely on the first point. Celerity seems like such a bigger deal in V5. I'd rather have all the utility it gives me than just extra actions. On the Lightning Speed thing do you mean, "Lightning Strike"? It seems pretty simple to me unless there's something I'm overlooking.

On the second sentence, for me personally I enjoyed the somewhat similar world to play in but having completely different options and as of right now not a complete bloat of them to choose from. Merits and flaws in oWoD were getting out of hand along with Thaumaturgy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I actually just finished reading Fall of London last night. It was a fun read and I liked the story, the way the epilogue works with different possibilities, and the sort of sand box nature. That being said, with all the typos, copy pastes, characters obviously designed without V5 in mind, and having to use pre-gens... yeah this is just a mess generally. Also felt like there were a few scenes that felt real easy for the party to wind up in fights they couldn't win with nothing but the Storyteller able to say, "This is a bad idea" to dissuade them.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

At their core I think the Ravnos' problem is, similar to the Malkavians, their shtick is just problematic.

This. I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around ways to play a Malkavian or Ravnos and just decided not to. I love the general idea and disciplines but I'm just not equipped on a personal level to tackle those issues.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What a coincidence. I just dug out an unsorted box of jyhad I picked up a few years ago. Had some good staples in it too. As of the last time I was playing at least. Especially thaumaturgy stuff, I remember all that being hard to come by at a time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I at least like the Samedi being folded in to have the murder kiss instead of just having the Nosferatu bane with a different flavor. I do hope there's some kind of further fleshing out how it all went down though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm also guessing we can safely assume Tzimisce will end up with Protean, Auspex, and Animalism when/if they are added back to the game? Unless they went all in on "Old Clan" for whatever reason.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Beckett's Jyhad Diary was insanely good and what we based a lot of the metaplot in our V5 game is based on. All the dumb stuff got dumpstered and it's been fun.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The best horror elements I've experienced in World of Darkness games are when other play characters or NPCs I've grown to care about are put in danger. Our most recent game had us encounter a nasty monster underground and an NPC ghoul I'd become friends with was getting dragged into it's maw. I had one lucky shot to save him and... made it! But the entire time my heart was pounding and I barely wanted to roll the dice.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So when and how did Old Clan Tzimisce split off from regular Tzimisce? When Goratrix and the others ate the two Tzimisce, were they still just one clan?

I'm reading the House of Tremere book - which is clearly a bunch of fake news and anti-Tremere propaganda! - and it made me curious.

I think the split happens during the Anarch Revolt. Old Clan wasn't interested in the Sabbat or creepy flesh poo poo and that was that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

moths posted:

gently caress, drop whatever you're browsing and watch Bones (2001). It's Wraith: The Oblivion: The Film and it rules.

There's even a harrowing, seriously it's a movie I never knew I needed to see.

Bones is fantastic and doesn't get the credit it deserves.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like Kindred in spite of how stupid and weird it is. I guess it never bothered me much that the Brujah were kinda mobsters instead of punks and the like.

Actually I might re-watch that this week.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

The whole thing is like $30 on Amazon. Might need to pick it up.

Just my two cents but as a fan of OWoD and all that the box set is really really nice. It's probably one of my favorites I've picked up.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Is there some kind of bias against the Gangrel clan i'm missing?

In both V20 and V5 (different DMs) i'll get owned in frenzy rolls and get a tail or cat ears while the "caster" classes like Lasombra and Tremere players get babied. The attitude is always "well that's what you get for playing Gangrel".

Idk maybe just me

I've known some annoying Gangrel players over the years but never a general bias against the clan. Most of that came from the players generally trying to use wolf claws to bully the cotorie with force.

But I hope they aren't just giving your permanent animal features, V20 and V5 are supposed to be more friendly about that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Or the rare alternative, the character that doesn't do anything.

We had a guy that unless an NPC came to his character and told him what to do he just went and did street preaching. No desire to engage with the story at all.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I remember the original oWoD going out of their way to try and not make every little thing influenced by vampires. Not that vampires didn't participate in or profit from historic events but they weren't pushing global politics towards a world war or things like that. I'm hoping with the new (old) minds working on V5 we can get back to that kind of thing moving forward.

As far the XP thing, yeah when I first read that I knew it wasn't gonna work for any kind of fun play so our group has been doing a flat 3 xp per game and it feels pretty good.

The one thing that doesn't feel... I guess fair so far is that my character has stuck hard to the path of humanity so has fallen behind the characters that have been wiling to commit diablerie. Then again maybe that's on the storyteller for not making it a more risky proposition.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Good ol' Jan Pieterzoon. I'm not sure where else that gets mentioned and obviously hopefully nowhere else because good lord.

Holy hell how did I miss that bit about him. I'm glad he got iced in V5

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm playing an unbondable character in V5 for the first time and I've used it a couple times to make deals with vampires that are... no longer with us let's say. But I feel like I'm maybe missing more clever ways I could make use of the merit. Any creative ways you peeps have seen it used before?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

The big metaplot updates have been in Fall of London (apparently a bad book) and Chicago by Night. I haven't had a chance to finish Blood Gods so I'm not sure how much plot got added there, other than the Hecatta being a thing now.

Ravnos, Tzmisce and Salubri were added in the holiday update thing from December which I think Renegade has said they're adding into the new core book along with other errata updates.

At a guess I'd say Sabbat and 2nd Inquisition books will add more to the meta.

Fall of London on my read through mostly sucked because it appeared to be made before anyone knew what V5 would like like so the rules and stats are an absolute mess. The story is pretty neat but as an actual chronicle it's trash.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Also, bizarrely, it seems designed around the pregens in the back of the book. That's just... weird design in this day and age.

Ahh it's been a while since I read it and had forgotten about that. I'm not sure why anyone would have thought it was a good idea.

Unless they're just conceding that they couldn't figure out how to write around certain powers making encounters trivial.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It sounds like these podcasters are taking the idea that using your powers on other kindred is rude and crass and somehow expanding it into how you're actually supposed to play.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I need to go back and read the old Reckoning books. I remember them being a lot of fun because of how weird they were and how deranged some of the imbued were in the forum posts excerpts.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think V5 is pretty fun.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of art in Vampire this is still one of my favorite pieces. Enough so I ended up getting the same t-shirt Lambach is wearing

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think my favorite improvement from V20 is making celerity a little more balanced.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I have an extreme hankering to play V5 after mainlining so much Vampire stuff in the last few days but I'm stuck in the Forever GM zone

:smith: :hf: :smith:

EDIT: What a garbage snipe. Have another piece of, for me, iconic VtES/Masquerade art

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 16, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I need some ST Help. How do you stop people from playing anti-social/paranoid as gently caress vampires. I've done absolutely nothing to make them paranoid, but I'm playing with three characters. Two have been playing for awhile and one is brand new. The new person is willing to go along with story hooks and has a stated ambition of having the most glorious rock collection ever. Easy enough, people have fancy watches and rings to steal which can lead to shenanigans.

The other two seem to be content sitting in their havens. Their characters lack any sort of ambition, I've outright asked them, "Hey what do your characters want to accomplish" and they've said basically "to be left alone". Like at one point do I say gently caress it your anti-socialness has pissed off a head vampire and he firebombs your havens?

The suggestions to talk out of game are spot on because I've played with more than a few people like this and they just tend to dig in their heels if they feel like you're trying to force them into the story.

I remember one specific incident (I think I've brought this guy up before) but literally all he did at night was be a street preacher. That's it. Never engaged with the story. Storyteller has his haven invaded one day by a couple of mortal hunters, Street Preacher manages to dispatch them. The next night he has no curiosity at all about how they found him or any of that. Just moves his haven real quick and keeps street preaching.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Man, I hate that it took me so long to start on reading The Horror Recognition guide because these stories are so good. I've only made it to maybe the third one but I'm hooked.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Free Cog posted:

Maybe it was just me and my inherent ability to No Prize things, but I always felt like the Second Inquisition being a general term for "specific forces within the intelligence community discover the vampires" was actually the intended goal as presented in the corebook, it's just that it's one of many setting changes the book has to present as the new Status Quo and that they expected a book expanding on the SI coming out in about six months to a year after the corebook's publication, as opposed to four.

Honestly I had the same impression at the time. Small clusters of operatives that could possibly wreck your poo poo if you got too loud.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I have no idea why the Second Inquisition is so ridiculously exaggerated. There aren't whole world governments hunting vampires. Its cells of the intelligence community in the know that can be very dangerous if you aren't careful. They have some special gear but it's not like a Technocratic Hitmark is gonna bust down the door.

Elders are still around but you can't find one under every rock in a major city and there are havens left abandoned to be used as plot hooks. The Sabbat on the other hand aren't launching national crusades but they exist in the shadows of a city still scheming and recruiting (the current devs just didn't want sabbat to have official rules for players because they're kinda icky sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

worm girl posted:

Why'd they restrict clans like that though? It kinda made sense in old-old WoD because the Tzimisce and Lasombra had powers you might not want players running around with, but splitting up the Anarch and Cammie clans is weirdly restrictive.

If I missed a direct answer to the Lasombra/Tzimisce question I apologize but they did give them rules in Chicago By Night and the free player's guide that got released a couple Decembers ago. Some of both clans weren't down with going across the ocean to fight the ancients so they stayed and blended with vampire society at large.