Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Aberrant is cool but the Quantum Powers cost and construction is a little byzantine with the Power Tag system. I think that I like it, and will figure it out, but so far it's the only part I've not loved.

Lots of mechanics with Scale and stuff but I assume that will become easier with time.

I know some of the people who've been writing for other parts of the Trinity Continuum and so far am pretty pleased.

Apologies if this isn't the place for Trinity Continuum discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Two questions, one that is more objective and the other that is more subjective as I'm getting ready to run my first game and was curious about people's experiences.

1. Does one low-level transformation give a simple one time - 3 XP discount to a Nova Attribute or is it a - 3 XP discount per dot? Basically, I'm under the impression it's more or less a basic Flaw from the older WoD games that gives you one time Freebie Points Freebie Experience Points.

TRINITY CONTINUUM: ABERRANT PAGE 88 posted:

You can choose to take an additional transformation for your nova to reduce the cost of the nova trait (including Quantum): A low-level transformation reduces the trait’s Experience cost by 3. A mid-level transformation reduces the trait’s Experience cost by 6. You cannot have more total transformations than twice your Quantum rating. See Transformation on p. XX for details.

2. Are the benefits of Mega-Attributes impressively powerful and my players crazy for so far three of them making characters with no points in them? I feel like I'm either overestimating their worth and making a bad case to them on the abilities, they are underestimating the utility of them and impact of Scale, or perhaps they have a specialized vision of a character who is based more around a specific power than traditional super-abilities. I think this could end up with too focused, and often not super useful, outcomes in some situations that could get frustrating.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

[

That Old Tree posted:

If you don't even know if they're doing it on purpose, though, step 1 is definitely just "talk to the group" so you can hash out what everyone hopes the game will look like.

Always the best plan! Just wanted to check and see if there was maybe a disconnection between me and the rules, which I'm doing a lot to get more firm on, but that often are the culprit as to why my players seem to go in a whole different direction. I've looked back up the Scale rules to try to explain it in a little more accessible a way to them, one that explains some of the massive benefits, but how I'm also not going to force it on them.

. . . . .

One situation that I've come into and could also use advice on is I have a character who has taken only the Nova ability of Quantum Agent and the Power Tags to augment it with Duration 3, Independent, and Uncontrolled Power. I can see this as cool, but also some logistical concerns or pitfalls that may have simple solutions to suggest to the player. I'm going to talk to all of them, but want to try and figure out what to ask/suggest/explain to them in order to clear up questions and power out some of the great concepts they've given me.

One thing he liked was the idea that using the Duration 3 increasing Power Tag he could boost duration from Rounds to Days, and with Independent and Uncontrolled Power more or less have any one or multiple Quantum Agents acting out in the real world outside his purview operating with loyalty but unbeknownst to him.

My biggest concern is that without other powers for him to use as like, himself, or that he has greater agency over, the character could run into the situation where he is at worst Guy Who Summons People Who Do Things without feeling much spotlight. On the other hand, the ideal target here he is going for is man who manifests his deep psychological trauma and complexes into physical form to have a Hellhound, Lilith, Dead Friends, and some other creature act out his own personal fantasies but literally. Done well, it’s like a Pokemon principal and has some good interaction between them as NPCs and himself, but done bad I’m afraid it could easily fall flat — a shame because it is a solid idea.

I’ve put his Quantum Agent settings below to get people’s feedback, and any suggestions on some additional utility powers or solid complimentary stuff that could give Dude the Dude some power without taking away focus from his clear concept or making this largely the Summon Stuff as the Storyguide Plays Out Everything game. He’s going for High School edgelord at base before more personal growth, as it’s basically the Breakfast Club, if that helps.

• Social Competent Agent with Quantum Healing 3.
  • Mental Competent Agent with Quantum Warp 1, Remote Perception 1, and Quantum Illusion 1.
  • Physical Competent Agent with Quantum Attack ( Poison ) 3.
  • Sneaky Competent Agent with 1 Mega-Presence, and Dreadful Presence.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Can someone summon and maintain two Quantum Agent entities, assuming power cost is met?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm having players build characters for a game of Aberrant and right now some have pointed to me that the Maintained duration is much better than Continuous duration for some powers like Boost, and why the Reduced Duration negative power tag not only rewards experience points but improves the power.

Trinity Continuum: Aberrant posted:

Maintained powers require a modicum of the nova’s focus and concentration. So long as the nova is conscious and capable of action, the power’s effects continue. If the nova is rendered unconscious or incapable of taking any actions, all maintained power effects end. Some maintained powers require additional expenditures of Quantum points to maintain. If the nova chooses not to spend the points, or is incapable of doing so, the power’s effects end.

Trinity Continuum: Aberrant posted:

Continuous powers remain in effect for a certain amount of time without any further effort from the nova, usually based on the nova’s Quantum and power ratings, whether the nova is conscious and capable of action or not. The default is Quantum + Power rating in rounds, then minutes, hours, and days, and the power’s duration is listed with the base time, such as “Continuous (Rounds)”. Once the time expires, the nova can pay the power’s Quantum point cost as a Reflexive action to continue the power. If the nova chooses not to spend the points, or is incapable of doing so, the power’s effects end.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I always feel like the role of humans in most major world events underscores how significant mortals still are in world events, especially so for the events which throw out the current order and scramble the world like 9/11. Vampires need to live with enough fear of humans that the idea of a masquerade collapse is an existential threat large enough to warrant all the effort. I'd argue that after 9/11 the national security infrastructure set up, especially financial regulation and tracking, also happens to accidentally be an excellent kindred tracker.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Blood Dimmed Tides is a treat from top to bottom.

Lasombra antitribu pirate eternally at sea still loving rocks.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 19, 2021

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

This is why if I ever manage to get a Promethean game going, I'm going to have it based at least partially in Johnstown because the idea of the Johnstown Flood of 1889 (specifically the horrors that occurred at the Seven Arches Bridge where a mass of the flood debris got caught) resulting in the creation of a Promethean extempore is intriguing to me. The flood was caused by upper class excess and neglect and it would be important to maintain that this was something done by humans to humans and that the event not only signaled the steady downfall of Johnstown as a whole, but also created something that represents and is tied to the uncaring rich whose actions killed so many and obliterated so much of the town's potential to grow and thrive. Combine that with the fact that massive storms are already associated with major events for prometheans such as their birth as well as Johnstown suffering from major floods since the 1889 flood about every 40-50 years and the town currently being into that 40-50 year range since the last flood in 1977 as well as the town's continued stubborn existence in spite of everything that has happened means it'd make for a good setting for promethean. Tying the general patterns of great floods to the creation of a particular promethean just makes sense without feeling like it's trying to say "actually, Henry Frick did nothing wrong and it was all a promethean's fault" since it still puts the blame for the flood in Frick's hands but just adds in that his willful neglect and inhumane practices unknowingly made him a demiurge and resulted in the creation of "something." The promethean would try to keep on their pilgrimage as the town itself ebbs and flows.

I've thought a lot about this and it's a shame I'm never actually going to do anything with it because I never actually run anything and also lol at the idea of actually running a game of promethean.

I actually just visited that area and Henry Frick's house in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago! I'm glad that other people appreciate and respect Promethean for the incredible idea behind it. My gaming group also jokes about the idea of running a Promethean game as a sort of quest for the Holy Grail.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Just had a chance to catch up and skim through the newest release, M20 Technocracy Reloaded. It's fine. Not much in way of stuff like Merits or Flaws and a little on the lighter side mechanics wise, but it's an extensive overview of the organization and has a lot of content. One quote in the Syndicate section stuck out to me, and is awesome: "The Syndicate has a term for the Paradox: Market Correction — the inevitable snapback when you gently caress around too much with the smooth flow of the Way Things Are."

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I’m trying to figure out how one would mechanically stat out a hook-on-a-chain weapon for a V20 game I’m a player in, and was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions or ideas. I was thinking of a sort of meat hook or grappling hook style end with a mid-length chain, so that it could be held up at the hook normally.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

What do the vampires at the bottom of the ocean do?

Wait for the great return.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So, I'm running a sequel game where as the result of some monumental player action, plus two separate but concurrent attempts by Giovanni and Tremere to gently caress each other over, as backlash the Tremere have become subject to two separate blood curses. Those loyal to the main clan, House Tremere, are now afflicted with a curse nearly identical to the Blood Curse of the Tremere once placed by the Tremere by the Assamites. Tremere vitae has become poisonous to fellow Tremere, dealing one automatic level of unsoakable lethal damage for each blood point imbibed, and on top of that is the most consequential aspect of all — the inability of Tremere to blood bond other members of Clan Tremere. The main reason for this being a big deal is that the Pyramid is partially constructed on the blood bond structure, so much so that even if existing bonds remain, with Ascension of the Blood off the table higher ups have declared a mortarium on new embraces. Less of a focus in this game are the growing number of the defectors from House Tremere, the resurgent House Goratrix, who are seeing huge growth due to the easiest and most well known way to break the blood bond being Vaulderie. They do not become victim to the same curse and instead have the mild vitae addiction also taken from the Assamites, and worse — always detect as positive for diablerie whenever scrutinized with supernatural powers, even if the individual has never tasted the blood of another Kindred.

My game is nominally set in V20 but has some components of V5 that I've either taken or modified into something interesting to me. Does anyone have any cool ideas on what kind of ramifications the sudden inaccessibility of blood bonds to Tremere would have?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Still a better game than The Dreaming, even if it's often cringey and :yikes:.

To the people out there who read this and have Changeling: the Dreaming as their favorite game line — I see you. Let me be clear, I'm not one of you, but you are not forgotten. Unfavorable Reception Fave Solidarity.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Psh, that's what they think.

Facts: If there is a roll made by God, as it says, then no matter how infinitely large a number of dice he rolls — under the rules, so long as he doesn't spend a Willpower, he can still botch. I'm ashamed and proud to have thought that up the second I read it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Nessus posted:

If vampires are derived from an event in the Bible, this is saying that Christianity is objectively/factually true in a way that other religions or attitudes are not, which is, shall we say, somewhat contentious.

Now if you want to say "the Caine story may be accurate on things like 'it started in the Near East' and 'Caine received a powerful curse,'" then that's fair; and it's a fictional game so you can assert that yeah, it's a vampire game, this Christianity fan-fiction is true, while it's obviously horseshit if you're playing a werewolf game.

I ran a game where this was somewhat avoided with clear links or historical evidence that matched the Book of Nod narrative a fair bit, but also the presence of undeniable/unexplainable features which indicated it's either less than a 100% accurate or that eventually something must have occurred after all those were written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I came back here after discovering W5 exists in the world and was shocked to have heard nothing about it or have noticed it was out during my every couple of weeks visit to this thread. But after going back in time and reading all the posts I can see why.

These newer games just don't seem to be for me anymore which is a shame, but I'll keep up with books and hopefully take a liking to some project in the future. It just feels like what made those oWoD games oWoD and magical for me aren't what those games are now about ( by which I don't mean the old time hackish racism ). As I was to hear W5 had already come out, I'm loving shocked as hell that they not only made H5 but that H5 is out? It's only a few notches down from the confusion I'd have to learn Mummy: The Resurrection 5th Edition hit the shelves. Oh well. Vhujunka are pretty cool.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 9, 2024