Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Archonex posted:

Wait. OWoD had some Exalted type kung-fu werewolves? Because poo poo like a werewolf dragon kicking some jackass vampire/mage/spirit/Pentex executive in the face can't be wrong and i'll hear no argument about it. :allears:

Yes, that's basically the Stargazers schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
WoD is pretty much like the 40k setting regarding numbers and logistics, everything falls apart when you think about it. Just keep going, use as many vamps and humans as the plot demands and don't look back.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
That's a lot of words to justify doing a munchkin thing. It's like that time when I played with a group that insisted that learning obscure rituals like "From Marduk's Throat" was easy even for neonates of any clan.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't Bardo the province of a bloodline that's been extinct for like a thousand years?

Thought to be extinct, yes, but insignificant details like that one has never stopped some players to try some bs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Mulva posted:

Hey dude with a half dozen posts, what would *you* like to talk about?

Mage chat, obviously.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Holy smokes you are unpleasant.

More on topic, why would you be interested in playing a character that avoids one of the main core elements of the premise? Preying on the innocent because you are forced to in order to live in the central conceit of being a vampire. If you want to tell a story about trying to do something positive with your life Promethean is right there.

Finding a way to deal with vampirism that's not the usual stance of "give in to your monstruous nature" or "chase golconda" it's a fine premise for a character to explore. Doing it by gaming the system mechanichs using several obscure rituals, disciplines and other bullshit in whatever splatbooks White Wolf vomited it's kinda bad, cheesy and inconsistent with what the game is all about. On the other hand, at least he's not doing it for the usual reasons like making things explode harder or just to throw more dice.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Kill it with fire.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any vampire s who hunt "their own kind" and/or really hate other vampires?

There are multiple vampire sects in both oWoD and nWoD who consider vampires to be cursed and inherently evil. Seems like a small step from that to "we should all be destroyed."

I dunno, a self-hating Kindred seems like the most natural thing in the world to me.

Assamites, they consider all vampires a blight upon the world and believe their only chance to redemption is by hunting and killing them all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It's a piece of entertainment made by white men for white men portraying asians in 1999, of course it's racist.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've been ill and I read the oWod novel Gehenna: Final Nights out of pure boredom. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as I feared. I give it a pass mainly because it does not take itself seriously and thorougly trolls and humiliates several well-known characters in the lore. Also acknowledges the events ocurred in Bloodlines, including Caine involvement.

I give it a score of 2.5 dead Hardestadts out of 5.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dawgstar posted:

I remember in Chicago by Night, Meneleus, a super-old "I was at Carthage" Brujah and also responsible for Pompeii fled to North America a while after blowing the city up. He led the Incas and got facerolled by Helena (the OTHER super old Methuselah in the city) and her conquistadors. After that Menele Embraced a couple of Native Americans, including one statted in the book, Yaryan (who knows a secret ritual using his namesake made up root and an 'ancient purification rite' to break Blood Bonds by the way), who is super special and isn't even listed as Brujah.

There were other old metusaleh roaming around North America, see Huitzilopochtli, Mictlantecuhtli and his unknown sire as well.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dawgstar posted:

Are the super old Baali in the area or is that somebody else?

Huitzilopochtli is the elder Baali that fled to the New World and end up sleeping in Mexico and shaped up the Aztecs.

Mictlantecuhtli was a native of a north american tribe and embraced by an unknown gangrel metusaleh. He migrated south and was revered as a god by the Mayans. His backstory also mentions how he met an unnamed Nosferatu at some point.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

ZearothK posted:

Hey, I hear the Assamites (Banu Haqim?) have joined the Camarilla, so what happened to the Ur-Shulgi blood cult? Or is the Banu Haqim diaspora to the Camarilla composed of those who didn't fancy worshipping their Antediluvian?

They are the followers of Al-Ashrad and Tegyrius. They refuseto follow Ur-Shulgi's hardcore interpretation of Haqim's laws and his command to abandon all mortal religions to follow what he percieves to be the true Path of Blood. Ur-Shulgi still remains in Alamut with his loyalists, mostly warrior caste.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

moths posted:

It was pretty cool to see VtES in there, but 90% of the experience would die on a tablet app.

Vtes would be a pretty different game without players trying to constantly bullshit each other. Sometimes I feel people focus on negotiating too much, at least in the EU meta.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
WoD art has always been terrible, however I prefer the crudely drawn art in the old books rather than what they decided to do in V5.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
VTES post incoming.

Black Chantry announced last year that the fifth edition of the game was in development and it's expected to be released at some point in Q2-Q3 this year. This new editions is going to consist in a box with preconstructed decks and all the necessary items to play. The theme will be Camarilla vs Anarchs and will follow the V5 plotline and it will include new cards, especially for the Anarchs. Testing has been going on for a while and spoiler season will commence soon. Really looking forward for the new anarch cards, they need more love.

In other news, Black Chantry has launched a new singles print-on-demand service with Drivethrucards. Basically they will slowly make old cards available on Drivethrucards, for now only Assamites are available, each single is 0,35$ and minimum 10 cards per order. This is pretty neat, letting you buy old cards on demand without going through the secondary market is huge, especially for new players.

Not bad for a twenty-five year old dead game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

TheKingslayer posted:

So will the old cards be compatible with new stuff or is it gonna be an all new things as far as what's legal? Either way I'm here for it, I'd just like to have a use for all my old cards other than nostalgia.

All the old expansions are legal for play (even the printable expansions), except for the individual cards in the banned list, so you will be able to mix the new cards with your old ones.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

TheKingslayer posted:

Oh I didn't know there was a ban list still.

*skims ban list*

Yep that all makes complete sense too.

Welp, I'm really glad memoires of mortality is banned because it would make the emerald legionaires decks even more busted.

Also, for your information, there was a couple nerfs some months ago to the following cards: Una, Ankara Citadel, Pentex Subversion and Parity Shift.

More info here: https://t.co/55G60T9lsi?amp=1

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
And then japanese scientists develop a way to cheaply manufacture synthetic blood able to be consumed by vampires, they call this new product True Blood Vitae.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kurieg posted:

Vampire is still stained with his bloody poo poo-smear, we have to wait till Werewolf comes out to see if that's similarly tainted by heroic Fascism.

*Laughs in Fenris*

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

DantetheK9 posted:

Not gonna lie, that's my private terror. Werewolf is my jam and I dread the idea of someone trying to do a "Back to basics" thing.

And by that, I do mean doubling down on the 1st Edition versions of the Furies, Fenrir, Uktena and Wendigo. Revised and W20 did a lot of work trying to unfuck them. (Best case scenario, the poo poo that White Wolf forced on OPP in Changing Ways before Swedcraula was booted out is quietly never mentioned again)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

DantetheK9 posted:

There's a reason the Revised Tribebook dedicated a decent amount of space to "Yeah, some of us supported Nazis. We killed them. Show that kind of weakness and we'll loving kill you too."

Never forget corporal Runt, he was only a metis, but still a true American Get Hero :911:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

joylessdivision posted:

The Sabbat are supposedly out in the middle east causing chaos and fighting the Gehenna War which who the gently caress knows what that actually means. I guess they're chasing Antideluvians?

Translation: "V5 is a serious and realistic RPG and the the Sabbat is too stupidly evil to actually use in our game but we can't outright kill it/retcon it out of existence. Solution: Send them to a quite corner to play by themselves."

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The Ashirra, poor bastards.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
No Malkavian can be truly dead.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

joylessdivision posted:

Gehenna was a fun novel, although the reveal at the end is glaringly obvious from the jump but it's still a fun pulpy Vampire apocalyse story.

Also Theo Bell murders the gently caress out of Hardestadt in a hotel room and it owns.

I have a couple other Masquerade novels sitting around that I might finally get around to reading.

Agreed, it's fun in a dumb pulpy way, my favorite bit one was Haquim turbomurdering all the Camarilla elders that propossed to frame the Assamites for the Withering, the rest of the elders just vote against the motion and flee in panic

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gantolandon posted:

And there is also the issue of M:tAs not aging well in the same sense that Duke Nukem 3D didn't age well: poo poo that used to fly in the 90s doesn't now.

The exact same thing applies to all the main World of Darkness games, they were a product of their time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dawgstar posted:

More like Badasshtray, amirite

Savage

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Early TCG's were kinda crazy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I don't know much about Rage but if the game favors combat then it's thematic and fits with the rpg. I really like what Vtes does with its basic rules. It has a really deep and diverse metagame and deck building is great. What I don't enjoy so much is how much people favour talking and making deals from turn 1, at least in most european communities. Also I hate how every now and then you have games where you can't literally play due to bad luck/matchups/contesting and you can't even concede in competitive games.

I hope that they rework the rulesbook into something more comprehensive for the upcoming 5th edition and not the current unholy abomination we have now with bad formatting and a billion rulings and exceptions.

Finally, speaking about changes to Vtes, Black Chantry has released this week a rule change for the community to test in non-competitive game and give feedback:

https://www.blackchantry.com/2020/05/09/new-rule-test-contesting-crypt-cards/

A lot of veteran players are up in arms about this, although is not that suprising because they are a bunch of entitled nerds.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 14, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Free Gratis posted:

The second major expansion did it again, by adding the new playable Wyrm factions, with their own thematic card types. Instead of Enemies they had Victims, that the Garou factions could not gain victory points for defeating. (Wyrm could not get VP for Enemies either). Instead of Moots they had Board Meetings, and neither faction could vote in the others, leading to uncontested use of these powerful effects.

I will forever cherish Rage as the game that introduced me to tabletop hobby in general, but boy is it an abomination of design.

The premise sounds fun but the board dynamics you are describing sounds like terrible design indeed.

Pope Guilty posted:

The VtES players I've known have all routinely cited that as the big thing they like about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with talking to the other players and making deals, but there's a fine distinction between doing that and having to argue about everything with 3+ people for 2 hours straight just because someone feels like a smartass, and typically then someone does a stupid random play that ends screwing up someone and then everyone gets angry about that. I swear to God, there's too much big nerd ego going around on this tournaments.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Politics is probably the best original mechanic in Vtes, however is very time consuming if you don't have vote lock (aka you can dictate all the terms yourself because you have majority/all the votes) and tables with 3+ political decks drag endlessly.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's why the best counter to a vote deck is a wall deck.

When my Tzimisce wall deck got going, no vote was getting past me without taking aggravated damage.

I get what you mean, wall decks are pretty decent at loving around with political decks as long as they are either your prey or predator, however the true counter to a political deck is an even meaner, more powerful political deck abusing certain mechanics to lockdown the votes on the table (looking at you, broken baali political cards).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Soonmot posted:

If any of you VtES superfans want to make an info post, that section of the OP is still blank.

Alright, I guess if no one volunteers I will put up something together tomorrow.

moths posted:

VtES is such a fantastic game, and it's probably worth pointing out that the new starter boxed game is on its way:

It's worth noting that the decks will be available for purchase individually after release. You can also check the deck lists in the web, however they haven't spoilered all the new vamps yet.

Check this poo poo:

V5 Malkavians, with domination instead of dementation (RIP), and the new clan logo. I'm not sure I like the idea of more malks with domination but whatever.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Soonmot posted:

If any of you VtES superfans want to make an info post, that section of the OP is still blank.

Welcome to Vampire: the Eternal Struggle (or VTES for short)! VTES is a multi-player collectable card game based on the award-winning Vampire: the Masquerade role playing game in which players take on the role of ancient vampires known as a Methuselahs. Considered mere legend by many, Methuselahs rule everything from the shadows, engaging in a eons-long Machiavellian conflict that encompasses political, social, and even physical warfare. The struggle is won or lost based on the actions taken by your minions – younger vampires who unknowingly do your bidding. In this way, the game can allow for deep and immersive storytelling as your minions purchase equipment, hire retainers, and even suggest legislative changes to vampiric society, all in the service of your dark plots.

The game is currently published by Black Chantry Productions.

VTES was the second card game designed by Richard Garfield (designer of Magic the Gathering, Netrunner, and other games). It was designed to avoid some of the flaws that Garfield found in Magic: VTES does not require you to include resource or mana cards in your deck, and cards are instantly replaced when played, meaning that card draw isn’t as important as knowing when to discard or “cycle away” a card. It also has a gameplay experience more in keeping with a boardgame than a traditional card game – VTES is usually played by 4 or 5 players and games can last up to 2 hours.

Unlike most multi-player games, players in VTES do not engage in a free-for-all. Instead, each player directs their attacks to the player on their left (their “prey”) and defends against the player on their right (their “predator”). You gain victory points by eliminating or “ousting” your prey from the game, in which case the next player to the left becomes your new prey. The player with the most victory points at the end of the game wins (even if they have been ousted!). This arrangement makes the game a very social one – you and the player two seats to the left and right have common enemies. But if you help these allies too much, you may find that you’ve made one of them too strong, and when they suddenly become your new predator, your help has transformed an ally into a deadly threat.

VTES is also a resource management game. Each player begins with 30 points of influence called “pool” that Methuselahs hold dearer than unlife itself. If you run out of pool, you are ousted from the game. But this pool is also the way that you sway vampires to your cause. Weak fledgling vampire are easily seduced, but the older more powerful ones require more convincing, which may require multiple turns to accomplish. Once a vampire is converted to your side, all the pool you spent on them becomes blood possessed by that vampire, which can be spent to play cards that allow them to activate their unique vampiric powers. Each minion must manage their blood and you must manage your pool – spending more provides you with additional minions, but brings you one step closer to being ousted. Under- or over- investing in your minions may well cost you the game.

In short, you are likely to enjoy this game if you enjoy any of following:

-a modern, supernatural setting.
-card games like Magic the Gathering.
-very social multi-player games that involve a lot of deal making.
-games with a long play time, and with complex rules that encourage great strategic depth.

Conversely, you are not likely to enjoy this game if you are opposed to the following:

-games that include player elimination.
-long games with many layers of strategy.
-games that require a group to play.

How do I find people to play with?

There are several ways:

1-Check the list of Princes. these are VEKN volunteers who serve as local tournament organizers. Check to see if one lives near you, and feel free to email them – they should be able to provide you information about whether a local group exists and how to get in contact with them.

2-The Vtes Player Map which shows the location of all players who have registered on it.

3-Check the Event Calendar. It will show you when and where upcoming tournaments are being held around the world.

Online play

If you find that you don’t have a regular play group (or you just need more VTES in your life), you can also play online. There are two main platforms used for online play. Jyhad On-Line (JOL) is a web-based service that is similar to a play-by-post system where players do not have to all be online at the same time, but games take weeks to finish.

The other platform (and the most popular one, by far) used for playing VTES online is LackeyCCG, a program that you need to download and patch for VTES (Instructions).

Resources

-The Vampire Elder Kindred network. The Official V:TES Players' Organization.
-Rulebook
-Amaranth A handy tool for building and sharing your decks. Also available as a mobile app.
- TWD The tournament winning deck archive.

Anyone wants to add/change anything? Maybe this is too long, idk.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm serious guys, let's get on this: https://www.lackeyccg.com/

And get a goons play V:tES thing going.

I'll be up for it. Right now is actually a good moment to get into the vtes lackey play, due to covid there's more online games than ever before. Some players host games in the official discord and there's also several very active national discord channels.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 16, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Done, sorry about that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pretty decent price if you ask me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It's a fair price, although the powerlevel and volume of juicy reprints is not even close as the Sabbath precons and the 25th anniversary pack.

What I'm mostly worried about the V5 changes is how they will treat the changes in the clan especific disciplines and if the new disciplines are going to be compatible with their old counterparts, for example oblivion and necromancy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Metapod (10 pt. flaw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Freaking furries are a very important group in the kink market, they are going to pander to them in one way or another.