Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

nofather posted:

For people not interested in Mage at all: Do you think playing a zombie would be worth having its own gameline, or better and easier done by homebrewing something for an existing one? Cause outside of dragons it seems to be the 'go to' for people who want to homebrew new lines.

To also be a broken record, Deviant could also work if you want to go for the "I've been reanimated and I'm very mad about it" kind of zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Since we're talking about it, here's my rough ranking of how objectively good the current nWoD 2e/CofD lines are:

• Vampire and Mage are the most consistently good games in the line, with strong mechanics that enforce the fiction in a natural way. Admittedly, this is mostly because Vampire had a few extra years to work on the book while they were figuring out how to actually release a second edition of nWoD and Mage had a really good dev team that was thinking about how to make a Mage core book that didn't suck for years, but they're still amazing.
  • Werewolf introduces some editing/layout practices I hate to 2e and uses way too much jargon, but it made me actually want to play Werewolf and is thus far better than I ever thought it would be.
  • I'm just going to put nearly every other line in the same "good but flawed" category. Demon's cool, but it was released in the weird gulf between 1e and 2e. Promethean's cool, but the mechanics are janky and feel like they'd only work with a video game HUD automating it. Changeling's cool, but it feels like it's trying a bit too hard to justify having a second edition some times. I could rank them more precisely than that, but this is a quick post so I'm putting them all in the same "not perfect but worth reading" category.
  • We don't talk about Beast. Seriously, it's bad and isn't worth the time it'd take to explain how bad it is.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tulip posted:

It's entirely probable that LWW and I have different priorities/experiences. Nearly all the games I've played have been with the same people, over a decade and a half, and we tend to play pretty loose, lots of improvisation, and a lot of escalation followed by introspection.

In retrospect, my list was more about which games are the best at being what they're trying to be and less about which has the best player experience or anything like that. Still, I can't disagree with your list either, and I did do a lot of games I love dirty by just not wanting to talk about them in a longer list. For example, the game I disagree with you hardest there is Promethean 2e, and even if I could yell about how Roles feel oddly pidgeonhole-y and the Alembic system feels like you'd need at minimum a board game style peg board to make managing your pyros feel good, it's still a great game and a marked improvement on the first edition. If someone said any nWoD/CofD 2e line besides Beast or Mummy was their favorite, they would make perfect sense.

Also, Mage is great, fight me. (Do not actually fight me, your criticisms are probably entirely fair.)

Also, to Reene, what everyone else said. I've only been in games with ten people that use systems far easier to run than Mage, and even then we split into subgroups naturally just for the sake of scheduling and giving everyone the proper spotlight time. Maybe even go for two groups of three and a group of four, just don't try to run ten mages at one time.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 4, 2020

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oberst posted:

Stop doing the weird gatekeeping edition war thing TIA

I will admit that this thread does have a bias against V5. A bias that mostly exists because it started with Martin Ericsson making a bunch of edgy promises about how it's going to tackle modern issues and then hired noted harasser/pants-shitter Zak S to make a promotional game and handled ISIS refugees in a hamhanded way in a preview adventure and caused a literal international incident when the second book called an actual organized effort to kill gay people a vampiric smokescreen.

Is V5 still that bad? I hope not, since it's been two years and Ericsson left. Is it fair that bringing up V5 causes an instinctive bristling in this thread because the way it started was that bad? Not really, it's at least an interesting take on the concept mechanically and it's been out long enough that people could have started playing it well after the aforementioned abysmal introduction. I'm still going to side-eye people who jump in to recommend V5, but that isn't actually that fair.

(But also, the thread can be kind of aggressive about V5 while still having a good point about it's mechanical flaws so let's just be chill.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Soonmot posted:

The thread is only aggressive over oberst or metapod posts, because they actually derail all other discussion on v5 into their strange cheerleading of it being the best game ever. I *really* want other people to post more about the edition without engaging with those two so we can have real discussions on the have with people who've actually played it.

There is a very real reason I have the op saying to put those two on ignore.

I'll be honest, I forgot oberst had a history of running into the thread and being a jackass about it. I thought they were new, and I might as well give a new weirdly aggressive poster a chance to chill out and understand where the thread's coming from.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Man i picked an odd time to come in to the thread for some advice/input...

I'm currently working on a new character for an Awakening game - it's been a few years since I played with the system so I'm a bit rusty. General concept is 'retired monster', since I like the idea of someone having to heal the damage to their soul caused by some Eyes Wide Shut crap they did pre-awakening. Mostly stumbling towards a Mastigos AA but I'm running in to some issues trying to figure out if the conflict he'd focus on would work: would someone basically LARPing as a philanthropist to politically punch up at the sort of people he used to be work for the Order? Or is that more of a Silver Ladder or Guardian thing? Last PC i played was SL and I'll admit i could never really wrap my head around the latter.

Two additional things to go along with that.
1) I should probably check in with the ST to get a better feel for this but how important do y'all tend to find mundane Merits for Mage characters? Coming off of a V20 game so i want to make sure my head's in the right space is all.
2) Any good places to look for 1e Legacies that have been ported over to 2e?

It's not the standard Arrow concept, but I'm sure you could frame it in a way that makes it work. I know there's been a lot of awkward magechat about the Arrow lawyer character concept in these threads over the years, but there's room to make Arrows that aren't about literal warfare.

As for mundane merits in Mage, here are two reasons I think you should invest in them:
1) One of the interesting things about Mage is the conflict between the mundane world you live in and the magic you're obsessed with. Mundane merits give the parts of the mundane world you're invested in mechanical weight.
2) You're (probably) making a social-focused Mastigos. The more mundane social merits you have, the less things you need to hit with Mind magic to do something interesting.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't there something also to letting at least part of the Gangrel copyright get away from then, into the hands of an aging indie wrestler? Like who was asleep at the switch there?

I mean, I wouldn't really blame that on anyone in current White Wolf. The Gangrel lawsuit began in 2008 under CCP White Wolf, it just took a decade to be resolved in any way.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

What happened here? I know there was a wrestler with the ring name "Gangrel", did he sue for the right to the name? And how did it shake out?

Here's my understanding of what happened:

1998: White Wolf licenses the Gangrel name to WWE (then WWF) for a five year deal, with the option to renew if they want to keep using the name. They give the character to David Heath, who made it a fan-favorite character at the time.
2003: WWE lets the license expire and stops thinking about it, because they've fired David Heath and he's already wrestling on the indies as VAMPIRE WARRIOR.
2007: WWE brings David Heath back for an anniversary show as Gangrel. White Wolf notices them using the name despite not having the license any more and, swollen with CCP money, sues WWE the following year.
2008-2018: Ten years of legal arguments that I don't actually understand. The important part is that David Heath was referred to as "formerly known as Gangrel" during this time on the rare occasions he appeared on camera because it was such a legal pain and that it ended in-
2018: A judge finally decides that when you hear Gangrel in a wrestling context you don't think about White Wolf in the slightest, you think about David Heath in a frilly white shirt drinking blood from a goblet, and thus he has the rights to the name and is able to license it and make merchandise with it. Since then he's gone back to referring to himself as Gangrel on the indies and is generally surprisingly good for a guy his age.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 25, 2020

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Chalk me up as another person who, shockingly, started with NWoD and now prefers NWoD/CofD. Don't get me wrong, I'm still into oWoD and would have been way too into it if I read the books when they were coming out. That mechanical do-what-thou-will looseness that other people talked about just offends my specific game design sensibilities, so I can't get into it as a game to actually play.

(Also, CofD is just as gonzo, it's just much less about how the setting overall is specifically this one specific kind of gonzo at all times no matter what.)

I Am Just a Box posted:

This has the ring to it of early projects done on the cheap where they would just pass the translator or the voice actor a big list of individual lines divorced out of context, with no notes, and they would just guess what kind of emotional nuance they were supposed to bring to it.

I'm not saying they necessarily did that, but I can't wrap my head around how else you end up with this reading.

At this point, I feel like Cyanide's entire pitch to publishers is "we're willing to make a game for slightly cheaper than it takes to make it decently". Honestly, it just makes me feel bad for their developers.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

What was changed between Promethean 1e and 2e to soften it up? The stuff about needing to create new Prometheans to achieve your own great work? I think that was a change that was made at some point but I can't remember when that was implemented.

As far as I remember, they just changed the Disquiet and Wasteland rules to be more playable (and by extension less harsh) and spent a bit more time talking about how becoming human is something you can accomplish so keep your chin up. Promethean 1e was already pretty optimistic despite the constant misery, 2e didn't need to change much.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tulip posted:

Yeah consensus AFAICT is that V5 is fine. The real nightmare of *OD gaming is that "which is the good edition" varies by line and as much as I'm the COD2e partisan, there are 5 and 20th versions of some lines that are more highly regarded.

What's interesting to me is that for all the popularity and cultural associations the Vampire line has, it never seems to light people's brains on fire*. A lot of what keeps this thread afloat and keeps us in these games is that Mage and Changeling and Wraith and Promethen are really provocative and interesting. I even know a person who can't get over how cool hunter is. I never really see that for Vampire, and I'd be interested to see if I'm wrong and someone has really engaged thoughts about Vampire and its philosophy.

*insert special exemption for Vampire LARP as a social nightmare

The problem, imo, is not that Vampire doesn't have a lot of interesting politics and philosophy. Because it does, and I am one of those nerds that could talk about VtR lore for ages. (I can't for VtM, but that game's a bit before my time.)

The problem is that Vampire is generally very clear on the fact that Vampires are ultimately parasites and their philosophies are ultimately just ways to justify that to themselves, and that makes it harder to start talking about them.

(Also, good luck with the KotE remake/update.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I will say that it's probably still worth having aspirations/obsessions as a non-mechanical thing, because they are very good at making you think about what character beats you're actually aiming for. Beats are just... a lot more awkward mechanically than you'd hope.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Time for "kite asks stupid questions again"

What splat would best work for adapting the cenobites from hellraiser? My kneejerk reaction is changeling but idk. I know that tzimisce do a lot of poo poo comparable to cenobites and cenobites can turn other humans into cenobites so idk.

Also, same question but with the phantasm movies instead. I feel like phantasm is closest to mage but somehow, despite all the mage chat, I don't know much about mage.

Hellraiser is about the residents of an alternate dimension who come from you when you do something strange that attracts their interest, who then take you back to their world and turn you into something like them. Changeling 100% fits.

Phantasm... I haven't thought about what the plots of those movies are for a very long time, so I don't actually have a good answer.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh I don't tell stories, I just post dumb white noise questions

e: like lol I don't have the discipline to sit down and play anything

Apparently hunter is much different than what I'm thinking of if hellraiser can be applied to it, the hell is going on with hunter? I thought it was just regular people going after supernatural beings.

Oh, it is. Just, the bloody corpse of your creepy uncle and the BDSM angel-demons who want him back (or similarly weird horrors) are all supernatural beings you could suddenly have to deal with if you wanted to.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Fuzz posted:

For some crazy reason, everyone had a great time and it was tense and fun, and the one wonky roll sorta snowballed it all. :iiam:

I'm a huge believer in using randomness to prompt interesting decisions people wouldn't make otherwise, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Hunger rolls could be overtuned. The problem isn't that they can make something weird happen. The problem is when it's been a long day and you're three hours deep into a session, and you did some interesting Hunger rolls but you had to think about the consequences a lot, and someone just triggered another one but you don't want to think about what happens in the 10% chance they roll bad and turn the elysium into a bloodbath and you tell them to just skip the roll. That doesn't mean Hunger's a bad mechanic to represent the traditional slow blood drain and random feral need to feed. It just means it probably use another editing pass to make sure it lands in the sweet spot for people as much as possible.

(To be fair, the point where it becomes a bit too much randomness is different for everyone. I just think a lot of the pushback in the thread is because you're talking like it's never a problem, when it can be a bit much sometimes in longer games.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also, as a trans person and someone who's an anxious mess in a way that gels with what Promethean's doing but never played it themselves, I'll give the game this much. As the game became more intentionally trans-coded (or at least more aware trans people exist), it also became less focused on how becoming human erases your current self entirely. Those elements are still there, but I do feel like they did get meaningfully better at not making that part feel weirdly sad over time.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I have wanted to run a Geist game that was just a cover for what is essentially a JoJo game with Geists being Stands for years.

Yes it's stupid. No gently caress you I won't apologize.

Honestly, if you emphasize the weird mystery and horror parts of Jojos and de-emphasize the fights it wouldn't even be a bad fit.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I meant more in the sense that every time I've had it come up in RPG convos, people conflate it with 40k because of the terminology, and then it either turns into a "which concept is better" discussion/argument, or people illustrate how they just thought it was a similar/straight up exactly the same thing, which is at least a better conversation since you can talk about the differences with a fresh perspective.

I get why they named it that, but general RPG people are loving stubborn, argumentative morons, so it really does no favors to crib a rather unique term directly from one of the most popular lines of the last 40 years. I don't see a better solution, since giving it a real name inherently undoes a lot of the impersonality and mystery of it, but here we are.

Even as an AdMech nerd, how do you even start linking the God Machine's materialist gnosticism and the Omnissiah? There isn't even that much overlap, because techpriests are clearly just talking about how machines are better and the God-Machine is about, at minimum, SCP style weird junk.

Find nerds who have a better understanding of the things they're nerds about, is my point. If that sounds aggressive, it's because I'm baffled that people are like this.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I unfortunately no longer own any of my old nWoD books. So I don't have a first edition rule-set to convert from. It looks like the hardcovers cost a fortune now, so I don't see myself rebuilding the Hunter library I once had at that cost. What's wrong with the 2nd edition preview that gives you pause?

The problem is that all of the concepts in Hunter 1e could be ported into the new edition already, and most of the mechanics already got vaguely added to the base rules. So, Hunter 2e is really desperate to justify its own existence, and as far as I know it's doing that... very clumsily. That kind of desperation would be a bad look if it was well-written, and as-is it's a game that iirc mashes Task Force Valkyrie and VASCU together for no reason beyond "they're both government organizations, so they must fit together thematically right?".

Also, yeah, just grab some pdfs if you want to reread the books.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

worm girl posted:

I feel like it doesn't have to be totally true to get the point across, it works even if it's just a sense that vampires have. Something vital is missing from oWoD and VTR1e vampires that has made immortality a faustian bargain and mortality enviable, and in CoD that's simply not in the text, so people act like the pathos actually is meant to be gone, thus superheroes with fangs.

It sucks because CoD has my favorite mechanics, but it's impossible to find a game anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :negative:

On one hand, this feels weird because VtR 2e is the edition that codifies how losing Humanity means you descend into being a weird predator in a human mask, and in general it sells that to a degree that 1e didn't until it had like eight books of warmup. On the other hand, that means that Humanity looks a lot more visceral than it did in previous editions, so I get how people would look at 2e and get scared and refuse to ever let their Humanity drop and lose connections. I don't agree that it's necessarily removing the emphasis on vampires as essentially static beings locked in their state at death that caused that, but I see where you're coming from.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

worm girl posted:

I agree with you on paper and that's the game I want it to be, but try taking that to the CoD discord or reddit, you will get insane blowback.

Oh, right. I forgot that a lot of WoD communities are just kind of weird.

(Like, I get how those communities got there after however many conversations about how to play vampires that aren't utter assholes, in their own relatively private areas. Just... I feel like a lot of people have missed a lot of points in the process.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

worm girl posted:

I wouldn't really call the largest active CoD communities their own private groups. There aren't a ton of alternatives I'm aware of.

One, I'm honestly using a very rough definition of private group which is broad enough that this thread counts as one. (And let's be honest, this community is like a tenth of the size of those communities, so I'm not sure what I'm getting at with that. Probably that literally every RPG discussion forum counts as a comparitvely small and private group compared to the soup that is social media and the vague communities within it? This was not my most thought out post.)

Two, the point is that communities end up getting weird standards for things because of what the most active members end up focusing on. So really you'd only need a small power bloc of posters who enjoy vampires but want them to be softer and less immoral like YaketySass mentioned to end up coloring everyone's views on what Vampire is, the same way this thread has a lot of expectations about what Mage is because Ferrinus would not shut up about it four years ago.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Hey. You know why I think Fuzz is always too defensive of V5? Because this thread is firmly CofD territory because V5's launch was that bad, and anyone who keeps leaning into a thread that's against an edition by default to defend it is going to be at best kind of a defensive weirdo. Don't make this worse than it has to be, christ.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Kavak posted:

Genuine question, is it just the OWoD? Does the "street level" focus of Requiem distance it from them?

It's also worth mentioning the differences between conspiratorial thinking and actual conspiracies. Conspiratorial thinking has organizations that are massive, with motives that are so broad they're impossible to understand, which no one ever talks about and is hidden if you don't know the secret truths. Actual conspiracies are focused, have an actual goal, and everyone involved will always talk about them somewhere. nWoD/CofD's general focus on having smaller, more local power blocs and plot hooks you can slot into and out of any given game (and their desire to get away from the extremely 90s plot hook of global conspiracies) means their conspiracies lean towards the latter. Yeah, there's vampires secretly influencing major government task forces and pharmaceutical companies doing shady things with werewolves to make new products. But that kind of conspiracy happens all the time IRL, they just replaced oil executives with horror movie monsters. It's nowhere near as much of a secret New World Order as something like the Camarilla.

(Yeah, V5 is doing good work to make vampires less of a secret shadow government, but the bones are still there. They're making a new edition of a decades-old franchise, it happens.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 9, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's also worth mentioning the differences between conspiratorial thinking and actual conspiracies. Conspiratorial thinking has organizations that are massive, with motives that are so broad they're impossible to understand, which no one ever talks about and is hidden if you don't know the secret truths. Actual conspiracies are focused, have an actual goal, and everyone involved will always talk about them somewhere. nWoD/CofD's general focus on having smaller, more local power blocs and plot hooks you can slot into and out of any given game (and their desire to get away from the extremely 90s plot hook of global conspiracies) means their conspiracies lean towards the latter. Yeah, there's vampires secretly influencing major government task forces and pharmaceutical companies doing shady things with werewolves to make new products. But that kind of conspiracy happens all the time IRL, they just replaced oil executives with horror movie monsters. It's nowhere near as much of a secret New World Order as something like the Camarilla.

(Yeah, V5 is doing good work to make vampires less of a secret shadow government, but the bones are still there. They're making a new edition of a decades-old franchise, it happens.)

... Of course, two and a half hours later I remember that Mage is kind of about how the global elite genuinely worship Mammon. The books are good at making the Seers not feel like a Q thing once they know what they're doing, but I guess there's more of it left than I thought.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Soonmot posted:

That's probably why requiem is still kids of similar to masquerade but WTF just dumped everything and started from the ground up. Or moon down?

It's been discussed in the thread before, but WtA probably was the oWoD setting that relied on the current cultural context the most to give itself any meaning. You take away the 90s ecology movements and 90s positive stereotyping, and what do you have? Not much.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tulip posted:

Just, philosophically, as a GM, I don't want to invoke dicerolls unless I have a reason to. The dice are there to adjudicate when it would be faster or easier than "it just happens."

Of course this is kind of a matter of dramatic vs comedic storytelling. You mentioned a vampire going Kylo Ren because they're bad at google or whatever. Which, afaict, is the intended play of Vampire. Which is...very loving funny. I got a good laugh when you posted that and I like it. It's very much Paranoia design, and Paranoia is a masterpiece so I can't fault that.

I guess what I'd say is that the roll for everything approach is something I don't particularly like because I find it time consuming and can grind things to a halt, but to have your game be oriented around serious hardcore monsters who can slip on a banana peel every time they try to open a door has great comedic potential and is probably a significant contributing factor to why WOD is more What We Do In The Shadows than Dracula.

To steal a point from the TG chat thread a while back, one of the dirty secrets of RPG design is that people just... like rolling dice. It makes people feel like they're doing something. So, ultimately I agree with Ferrinus. As-is, the natural tendency for people to roll dice more than they need to conflicts with hunger dice causing very dramatic failures, and newer GMs could use the permission to lowball the effects of Hunger dice when you get into that grey area of unnecessary-but-feels-good rolls.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Soonmot posted:

it's been a minute since i looked at promethean, what makes them the tankiest?

In short, they:

-Can spend Pyros to heal, at reasonably efficient rates
-Continue to act normally until their health track is completely filled with aggravated damage
-Can die completely and come back after a week, at least once.
-Can both heal and recover Pyros by just grabbing a live wire that's strong enough to damage a normal person for a round, with the amount recovered equivalent to how much damage it'd cause.

And that's just their base kit, without anything you'd get from Refinements. Sure, they automatically take aggravated damage from fire, but they have a great combination of never stopping and relatively easy access to healing.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

That’s the feeling I got with Promethean. 1e was a fantastic setting for mood and feeling. It really communicated the idea behind the setting.

2e read like a video game strategy guide. They even explicitly laid out a predefined path for the new dawn.

I agree about Promethean 2e being way too video game-y with its systems, but I wouldn't necessarily call having a more defined system for the New Dawn a bad thing. The execution could have been better, but in 1e it felt like the game just shrugged and said "just do it when it feels like you've done enough and it's emotionally satisfying" and that just isn't enough to work with.

If you want to talk about 2e feeling video game-y, look at how Alembics work. The whole system feels like it could only feel good if you could open a panel on your status screen and see a bunch of bars filling.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

To add to what everyone else said, don't go back to the 1e core book if you want a better explanation. It's a bad book for actually selling you on what's cool about Mage. Instead just do what everyone else said and read the good 1e books. A lot of their takes were incorporated into the 2e core book, but if you read them first you can at least appreciate that Mage 2e has a lot of good takes on Mage despite being laid out in a really weird/backwards way.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Well Played Mauer posted:

So just to summarize, to understand Mage 2e:

Read Sanctum & Sigil 1e
Read Signs of Sorcery 1e
Read Mage 2e, probably in order of system -> character creation ->Tradition fluff?

For Mage 2e's core book, I'd probably go Chapter 2 -> Chapter 1 -> the actual mechanical stuff, just because the third 1e book that was really essential for getting across what Mage should look like (Tome of the Watchtowers) was pretty firmly incorporated into the first two chapters, and I just find CofD mechanics kind of dry without reading a critical mass of fluff first. The problem with 2e isn't that it puts the fluff before the crunch, imo. It's that it presents the fluff in a really weird order.

(Also, because Ferrinus mentioned it, the flaws of Awakening 1e's core book are ultimately that it font/ink choice is really bad and it doesn't make Atlantis and being a mage sound very cool. I wouldn't read it just so you can read MtAw 2e with more context, because 2e covers all of the same content with better text but in a weirder order, and even for nerds like us who enjoy reading a giant pile of RPG books that feels excessive.)

EDIT: And listen to people with more experience than me about which order to read assorted splatbooks in, it's actually been a while since I read them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Have you checked out H5? It has a different system, but maybe it's good? I've heard that the overall vibe is very much like Vigil 1.0.

Another option is to just used the same setting info but a better system, since really the system matters way less in Hunter. Could use ICON or the Free League system if you still want something that uses some dice and has actual combat instead of weird abstractions like PbtA, which might be too biga jump for your D&D people.

You could also just use the Blades in the Dark system for Hunter, it would work great for that.

To be fair, the thing about Hunter is that it's all about playing relatively normal people, so you can have this conversation about literally any game about normal people fighting monsters whose mechanics you like more than nWoD. Any system you end up using should work well, because HtV 1e is a very basic concept executed very well.

EDIT: Sniped, editing in a bit more context.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Even if you're in a game where players get XP unevenly normally, the interesting thing about that is that the amount of stuff on your sheet is directly related to how much stuff you've done. "I've done X, but I only have Y because I didn't get my character's mechanics right the first time" just makes it less interesting and encourages people to stick with mechanics they aren't enjoying for the sake of optimal XP spending. It's a bad system.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

And it doesn't help that WtF has some of the most impenetrable jargon in CofD. Spirit stuff all being in Sumerian is a really neat touch, but when all your important gameplay mechanic names are in Sumerian it all just blurs together.

Also, if you want an update on what's happening with Werewolf: The Apocalypse, here's a quick and dirty update: the anniversary edition has had a decent amount of new books made for it (other people can comment on the quality), but there hasn't been an official fifth edition yet. That sounds like it'd be surprising, since there was a big push for it when V5 was first announced (including a bad video game). But... Well, the original head of the Paradox White Wolf relaunch was a horrible edgelord, and I assume there's a whole team of writers trying to figure out how to make a new edition of Werewolf that hasn't aged like milk in 2022.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

If letting people spend XP on respecing means they're suddenly at a disadvantage compared to the other players, do you also not give out bonus XP awards for good RP, good ideas, and so on, because then the characters wouldn't all be even?

I already said that part of the appeal of having uneven XP amounts is that it reflects what they've done. It's not like the previous arguments about it being unfair stop applying when you shift from "the party has earned X experience, but you have lost Y because you changed your mind about some mechanical decisions" to "you personally have earned X experience, but-". This is why retraining should either have a mainly fictional cost (time spent, mentors gained, etc) or the out-of-game cost of making sure your entire group is on the same page about how much retraining is acceptable in your game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

Aren't we all playing with friends? Why would you need to give out special good boy stickers instead of everyone just knowing who the especially strong RPers in the group are? And why would you need to make rules for respeccing when you can just talk to your friends and come up with a reasonable solution if they're unhappy? Or tell them frankly that you want them to metagame less if you feel like that's what they're doing? Group beats work fine

Because sometimes you don't want to play a game where your characters are a single unit. Would I play with it? No. But it's not like Apocalypse World is a universe-shattering mess because individual characters that different XP amounts. Individual beats are, on a vague conceptual level, fine.

(Also the point was that individual XP tracks don't justify spending XP on changing mechanical choices, not that individual XP tracks are a good idea. Relax.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Makes me sad there's no new wolf stuff. :( Makes me happy that the edgelord got kicked out - didn't he put in some incredible homophobia or something in a Vampire book that pissed off a whole country?

Also, it wasn't written directly by him, but a Vampire book did say that Chechnya's anti-gay purges were organized by vampires behind the scenes to draw attention away from themselves, which pissed off literally everyone and caused a diplomatic incident.

EDIT: Okay, I missed that joylessdivision already answered this question. At least you have plenty of context for why this thread had a knee-jerk hate response for the new WoD books until... this year, basically.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 25, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Anyone got any pointers on keeping the momentum and excitement at least in stasis during a break, or how to recap in a way that will rekindle things? This is an asynchronous pbp on discord.

Honestly, there's always going to be some momentum lost, but a big part of making sure a game survives that kind of break is just making sure your group continues to be a social group and having the game be something people want to play again when they're reminded of it. Like Soonmot said, it's a crapshoot but it's at least a crapshoot that should leave you with a group that's willing to play something.

And yeah, definitely aim for a recap that's relatively short, relatively direct and gives your party something to work with quickly. Discord logs mean making that kind of recap is a lot easier than it could be, so you have that going for you.

(Also, try to make sure everyone's posting more synchronously than usual when you do restart. It's just easier to get people excited when everyone's talking in the same digital room at the same time, y'know?)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, speaking as a Storyteller I really like the bloodline model, because it's both easier and a lot more creatively interesting if vampires qua vampires have a relatively tight mechanical identity and a bunch of peripheral esotery. It keeps NPCs distinct, is so much easier to balance, and creates clear hooks for PCs who want to develop those powers and clear hooks for Storytellers who want to work them into the story.

They're also, I think, a much better use of VtM style "bloodline politics". Vampires siloing off politically by clan always felt corny to me in exactly the same way as like, sapient races having fixed alignments in D&D. But if instead of one fifth of the vampires (or whatever historically contingent fraction) it was just one bloodline which might be anywhere from one guy to a couple of furtive freaks to an entrenched dynasty, it feels a lot less, uh, let's say race-essentialist.

That said, I'd probably agree there are a bunch of Requiem bloodlines that could've never gotten printed at no meaningful loss to the line, but that's the nature of the 90s/2000s supplement treadmill era).

Personally, I think bloodlines would be a lot easier to like if they were actually sold as fun but rare vampire concepts you could insert into your game/use as an example when building your own weird mechanics. That fits into nWoD/CofD's strengths, and that's a reasonable role for something weird like Hair Vampires in most games. As-is they were sold as basically vampire prestige classes because that sells more books, and that makes the whole concept sound a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

a7m2 posted:

This thread seems to pretty mostly prefer VtR. Why is VtM5e so popular both online (way more content about it) and in other media (video games specifically)?

Because it's currently being developed and promoted, and Onyx Path has never had the kind of funds to VtR 2e any actual promotion. This edition started as a weird 1.5 edition in name because no one knew if they could actually get permission to make a new edition, and in the time since Onyx Path has gotten deeper and deeper into doing small kickstarters and trying to develop properties they don't have to license. (As for why VtR 1e didn't have anything, they had a bit of a post-millennium slump in terms of cultural influence and the rights were locked up by CCP failing to make a WoD mmo from 2006 to 2014. nWoD had a rough time, is the point.)