Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

I haven't kept up it on very much. The last chapter I read was an oddly exhaustive and long look at how the Technocracy view sex, gender and love and the TL;DR was they took pains to show how super inclusive they are. Also little things like how the NWO agents are the Black Suits now, no longer the Men in Black, which while is more in keeping with the times does mean they lose out on a Will Smith bop.

I suppose as long as they don't then turn around and go in to great detail about how the Verbena or whatever suddenly have very rigid ideas about the exact same stuff. Suppose I still have my head stuck in the old view where they were The Man or whatever, stomping down on inclusivity because that was the best way to keep the Sleepers in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

That is one of the funnier bits about Tech20 in that they're all shocked and outraged suddenly people are only I loving Love Science when it comes to flying cars or personal jetpacks and voting for Trump and whatever. Like they want humanity placid and docile but it wandered off in a direction they didn't expect and they're all 'Hey, Wha' Happun?'.

As long as they poo poo on the Syndicate for wealth inequality as well I'm cool with it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oberst posted:

Also things like 1s taking away from your successes is extremely lame

It's not a true WoD game unless you roll 16 dice to hit and still somehow do zero damage on the roll due to 1s.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

LatwPIAT posted:

It's not about the Metis, it's about players who played the game by spending every second in wolf-form, having lots of sex with other werewolves, and creeping out other players at the table. Making sex between werewolves have practical consequences was a reaction to that and an attempt to put a stop to it.

Don't forget what Metis would be expectes do when they got too many successes on a rage roll.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Free Gratis posted:

At every corner there's someone who has really not cool idea about how to circumvent violating the tenet, or thinks they're clever when they say "it's not 'mating' if it's gay sex, eh?! EH?!"

Along with all of it's other problematic content, it devoted way to much of it's text to the do's and don'ts of Werewolf sex.

"Breath Deep" was the werewolf paperback where that work around was first encountered by me.

But yeah i agree with ya there. I'm not sure who it was that first came up with what happens if you're a Mwtis and succumb to the Thrall of the Defiler Wyrm but i hope they're on a watch list somewhere.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ElNarez posted:

ready for the gehenna war (a series of slapfights in various offsites and discords)

Rage Shitpost Across The Internet

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Achilli calling out some of the crappier parts of V5 - the suicide idealization in the Anarchs, causing an actual international incident, and the alt/hard-right stuff that kept showing up - was enough to keep me away from looking at it.

So yeah I might actually spare a glance now.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

To this day i stand by my Silver Ladder Mastigos' strategy of embodying the "little old lady who swallowed a fly" tactic of just summoning larger and larger demon-god kings of goetic thought to take down the one he summoned originally to solve the problem he was facing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I figure the choice is either

1) Focus on poo poo like brahmin performing ascetic torment on themselves to use thaumaturgy, warrior caste and the path of paradox being transformed in to "assamites, only hindu", and any western ravnos being presented as dead-eyed survivalists and hedonists a la the lost boys; or

2) Nuke them all a second time when Zapathasura realizes that the little slice of hell it made in the deadlands needs vassals and so just unmakes them all by rewriting reality.

I lean towards 2 as the cleanest solution.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

At least with Dark Ages the Malkavians have to deal with poo poo like imbalances of the four humors.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Goon Project to make a "rules-lite" version of the 2e lines where you literally just state mechanics clearly and concisely in one place

Suppose Loomer'll need another Great Work once he's done with The Project.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Beast continues to be one of the few game lines out there in any system that makes me basically see red and have the siren from Kill Bill go off in my head. Particularly when you have folks talking about the whole "family :)" aspects of it. Each time I've joined a discord group where it's offered I always end up on some weird dwarf fortress tantrum spiral until i leave the loving group.

Also, Loomer - i would love to read that essay you're working on.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

That just reminds me of that one Bonegnawer gift that had a maximum range that covered a whole state - and which constantly drives theurges crazy trying to explain how on earth it reaches further in Texas and Alaska than it does in Rhode Island.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Omnicrom posted:

Lie to me and tell me this is Rules as Written in the book.

Only if you bribe the ST with pizza during the appropriate rite.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

That makes me wonder what the european equivalent of the Rite of Superbowl Sunday is. FIFA? Cricket?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nessus posted:

I imagine they considered the wendigo to be a horrible monster which it was horrible to associate with a native society, even a fictional one. (I imagine Uktena didn't have this problem.)

If I was retooling WTA while keeping the general pattern I would redub the tribes as "societies" (editorial note: same word in the Garou language) and would try to minimize the whole ethnic background poo poo. Frankly I would also throw the Silver Fangs in the garbage but a lot of people love them some ~lineage of kings~ crap. You could probably recast the Fangs as "the people most invested in the care and upkeep of the Garou Nation as a cultural enterprise."

While I'm here I'd also throw out Pure Breed or render it an entirely social thing, rather than giving it any kind of mystic overtone or whatever. You can probably have a Merit or Flaw to represent your esteemed great-grandpappy who killed fiddy fomors.
Make it so Past Lives represented how connected you were to your ancestors maybe? The further you could trace your petagree and all that? Or is that still troublin gently caress if i know i only play bone gnawers so i don't have to gently caress around with either.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

All this talk about VtES has reminded me that I have a whole bunch of those Rage cards lying somewhere at my folks' place from years ago, including an all bone gnawer deck.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well drat i'll have to look in to that then, if only to try and play a hummingbird loving latino aiming to become a Demidad.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Man i picked an odd time to come in to the thread for some advice/input...

I'm currently working on a new character for an Awakening game - it's been a few years since I played with the system so I'm a bit rusty. General concept is 'retired monster', since I like the idea of someone having to heal the damage to their soul caused by some Eyes Wide Shut crap they did pre-awakening. Mostly stumbling towards a Mastigos AA but I'm running in to some issues trying to figure out if the conflict he'd focus on would work: would someone basically LARPing as a philanthropist to politically punch up at the sort of people he used to be work for the Order? Or is that more of a Silver Ladder or Guardian thing? Last PC i played was SL and I'll admit i could never really wrap my head around the latter.

Two additional things to go along with that.
1) I should probably check in with the ST to get a better feel for this but how important do y'all tend to find mundane Merits for Mage characters? Coming off of a V20 game so i want to make sure my head's in the right space is all.
2) Any good places to look for 1e Legacies that have been ported over to 2e?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's not the standard Arrow concept, but I'm sure you could frame it in a way that makes it work. I know there's been a lot of awkward magechat about the Arrow lawyer character concept in these threads over the years, but there's room to make Arrows that aren't about literal warfare.

As for mundane merits in Mage, here are two reasons I think you should invest in them:
1) One of the interesting things about Mage is the conflict between the mundane world you live in and the magic you're obsessed with. Mundane merits give the parts of the mundane world you're invested in mechanical weight.
2) You're (probably) making a social-focused Mastigos. The more mundane social merits you have, the less things you need to hit with Mind magic to do something interesting.

Thanks for the input! I'll probably lean more towards Status and Allies then - i'm liking the idea of someone who got taken for a ride by an Abyssal cult that were fattening him up for a sacrifice before his Awakening. Whatever Resources he had got sucked away by the cult but he could still fling himself headlong at some social issues.

As for the social heavy side of things, yeah probably. Going for a lion in winter feel i suppose. Have a bad habit of making generalists though so some combat stuff might creep in there.

I keep glancing at stuff like Concord of the Serpent and Liberatores (or Devourers of the Flesh if he spirals out) but i don't want to get too drawn in on that stuff when I'm shaking the dust off my knowledge. Plus the whole issue of them not being ported over yet.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Quick question re Roads in DA20.

I'm playing a Lasombra Sinner, full on enlightened self interest with regards to his "allies" (friends that he cares for deeply but has to jump through mental hoops to justify why in his head). That's all well and good.

But he's currently being tempted by someone on the Path of the Devil. I like the idea of him trying to wrap his inhuman mind around another similar path but I'm wondering about the mechanics - is it the same as switching from one Road to another?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

citybeatnik posted:

Quick question re Roads in DA20.

I'm playing a Lasombra Sinner, full on enlightened self interest with regards to his "allies" (friends that he cares for deeply but has to jump through mental hoops to justify why in his head). That's all well and good.

But he's currently being tempted by someone on the Path of the Devil. I like the idea of him trying to wrap his inhuman mind around another similar path but I'm wondering about the mechanics - is it the same as switching from one Road to another?

Follow up question to this now that I've done some looking on my own: why the gently caress does Path of the Devil, the odd duck out of the Road of Sin by using Self-Control per the book instead of Instinct, still have "failing to Ride the Wave of Frenzy" as a rank 8 transgression when it is not mechanically possible?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Current game update: playing a WW2 naval intelligence analyst turned Malkavian. Spent the first part of the game set on late 40s LA as a high-Conscience coward that became convinced that the various Technocrats the cotorie encountered were aliens from Mars (NWO) and later Venus (VE). Ended up caught in the drama of the scary Malkavian Primogen that ended up infecting him with Dementation, leading to him devouring her and fleeing to the Anarchs.

We've moved forward to the early 70s and at this point he's working to bring about "the inky black flood that will devour us all" and spreading Dementation throughout the clan. Current activities include running the Cecil Hotel, cowering from threats unless he can destroy their sanity, and getting in to arguments with the shards of the primogen in his head that typically end with her tsking control of his body before making him punch himself in the face.

I'm trying to figure out ways to tie the Flood/spread of Dementation in to the rise of serial killers during this period. It's meant to be a horrific side effect that he hasn't realized yet and would be guilt-stricken if he noticed.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

One of the possible origins for COUNT MOTHERFUCKING DRACULA (not to be confused for all the other Draculas) is that he's a Promethean so there is that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

That Old Tree posted:

Extradimensional actual aliens whose bizarre tech lets them compete against Scions? It could either be a big reveal that helps defeat a threat, or unveils a larger problem they were fleeing from their home dimension. No pantheon at all!

The big twist is that it's just a bunch of Mi-Gos that got lost LARPing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mors Rattus posted:

In this case it's more that Wendigo in W:tA specifically refers to a Werewolf tribe native to the Pacific Northwest whose description, boiled down to its essence, is 'angry Native Americans that kill and maybe eat people.'

Their tribal Totem literally eats folks yeah - which not only gets a headscratch from a cultural appropriation aspect but also the violation of werewolf law about, you know, not eating people.

Both them and the Uktena also lean way heavy in to the magical native american thing, where everything was perfect before the white man showed up (i mean, fair) but also the tribal cultures were presented as frozen in time and not out there building large scale irrigation networks or planting trees for later harvest.

NGDBSS posted:

From what I've gathered the wendigo is something that's easy to gently caress up/hard to use respectfully. So in the case of Earthblood or other Werewolf: the Apocalypse properties, they almost certainly hosed something up because all that text has been written by willfully ignorant white guys for nearly three decades. But if they started from scratch and got some indigenous voices on as primary writers, theoretically it could be appropriate. (I'm not holding my breath.)

The only cultural practices I know to be completely verboten are things to do with the Diné/Navajo people. (They used to call themselves the Diné, but after the Long Walk and a century of other genocidal tactics they are now officially the Navajo.)

They stuck their dick in that hornets' nest with the Nuwashi i think.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The appropriate sicko mode is making your sheets in google sheets for everything.

You can take pry the macros that auto update dicepools based off blood spending from my cold dead hands.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Soonmot posted:

yeah since you stuck with WoD over CoD, vamps stink of the wyrm and are more or less kill on sight, except for some of the glasswalkers. Doesn't mean you can't fudge things around though.

Most bone gnawers also don't give a poo poo up until you 1) gently caress with their kinfolk, 2) gently caress with the disenfranchised, or 3) get within spitting distance of a caern.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just glad the Syndicate is back, baby!

Had a bunch of Tech players in a Discord game go on and on about how the Syndicate *tried* to shift the world towards a more equitable model but whoopsiedoodles they caused the 2008 crash or something similar doing so. gently caress if I know i was playing a gutterpunk Solficati that just called them The Filth and alternated between seeing how high he could get and The Great Work.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If you are going to play the baddies, you might as well go all in!

That's always been my issue with the softening of the Techies since even the modern 'woke' ones are only where they are due to centuries of exploitation as touched on in the Victorian sidebar posted earlier.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The vampire hunter in Dust To Dust is perfectly willing to work with the vampire PCs as long as they don't act like monsters around him.

His way of helping is to drop hints of where other vampires in Gary are while going "man it'd be a shame if some young ambitious vampire, I don't know, killed them and took all their stuff".

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Speaking of V5, are there any actual rules for making your own lore sheets? The plan for my group once we finish up our decades-spanning V20 Anarch game set in LA (40s, 60s, 80s) is a modern day one in the fall out of our choices. We figure it'd be more fun to make our own inspired by our old PCs.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Unless it's "the continuing adventures wof the Bone Gnawers guest starring some other guys i guess" i'm not really that interested in it.

Particularly since i'm not sure some of the Best Gifts/Rites made it in to W20.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble grokking the V5 creation rules. There's just something about the various parts of it that seem "off" to me and I just can't quite put my finger on it. Some of it might be from me trying to make a more established/competent PC than they expect you to.

Just wanna play a Ravnos narcosaint-to-be man...

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

... are things really so loving tight in 5th Edition that 5xp is enough to squabble over? I was thinking, like, Fortitude 1 (from Roadside Killer since he'd have been nomadic before the game starts) and then either Animalism or Obfuscate 2 and Presence 1, depending on if i want Chimeristry or a coyote buddy.

*edit*

And lemme tell ya Chimeristry and the higher fata morgana is kinda underwhelming RAW.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 15, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nawh it's not a response it's a question. I've been meh about this system - it's a follow up to our 1940s/1960/1980 LA game that's in its final decade - but i can't tell if me not liking it comes from just not wanting something new.

I mean i'm really only looking at Ravnos now due to their Bane which is bad rear end.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

To go along with Amalgm chat - i'm a little confused by the wording. Do they take up one discipline rank's powers or both?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

As I can determine they're just that slot's power - Vicissitude is Protean 2's slot - but you also need Dominate 2 to be able to take it.

That's what i thought too but the wording of "For the purpose of type and other classification these powers count as belonging to both disciplines" confused me. Does that just mean that powers that let you resist Presence let you resist, say, Serpent's Gaze even though it's a Protean power?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wasn't one of the Black Dog spoof games one where you are a Sasquatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The gently caress they going to do with squaring the circle re Humanity/Convictions/Stains and Paths of Enlightenment anyway?

Soonmot posted:

I'm glad all their cosplaying friends get to take fun pictures, but yeah, I'd much rather have some of the bad line art from previous editions instead of photos. Plus, V:tM is forever assocaited with Tim Bradstreet art in my mind, same as Werewolf with Ron Spencer, and nothing is ever topping that.

Guy Davis and Wraith is another good example yeah.

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't the Sabbat mostly gently caress off to the Middle East for Gehenna-related reasons?

My current head cannon is [Tzimitsce] going "surprise the Vaulderie was a trick you're my meat puppets now" for why that happened.

*edit*

Random question re v5 actually - are the clans aware that their clan curses have changed? Like would an ancillae Lasombra bitch about how they didn't have a problem with touch screens up until recently? Or a Ravnos neonate refusing to believe their clan used to have such a stupid flaw?

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 25, 2021