Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Crasical posted:

How's the flavor text?
I was turned off hard by some of the 'Deviants no longer have an appropriate threat response stimulus' stuff.

Well, the opening story's opening paragraph has the POV character saying 'I am so done with this amateur bullshit.' I don't know why, but that made me laugh, not in a good way. Maybe they're trying to go for 'scared kid trying to sound experienced and tough,' but that's not the sense having continued to read. There's just something about the writing in modern WoD books that seems really pretentious. But hey, V:TM was probably just as bad, I was just too young to be critical of it.

I dislike how they make up big psuedo-Latin and pseudo-Greek words that don't mean what they think they mean. I dislike how they think that random conspiracies are all going to use the same terminology. "Yup, Cletus, we're going to summon the Lord of Goats into Jimmy-Bob here, to create a co-active autourge.'

They try to take a lot of wildly different sub-genres and mash them all together, and then contrive up reasons for RoboCop, Alien Hybrid Ripley, Carrie and Venom to all be hanging out in the same abandoned building, with forced mechanics to drive them towards dying uselessly.

I dunno. I love the concept. I love how in the introduction, they use RoboCop as an example, because it's exactly what I was thinking. But it's also like they're trying way too hard to cram this into the WoD mold, and feel, and idiom, and conventions, and writing style, and what not. If it were just a standalone game called 'Broken Souls' or something, it might come across different.

I keep thinking to myself that this is just a reskin of Promethean. It covers a lot of the same themes, a lot of the same concepts.

I'm still trying to figure out what Deviant is really 'getting at,' so to speak, the way Beast was 'Abuser: The Justification.' Trying to decode some of the word choices, some of the comparisons.

I'm still enjoying reading it, though.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I mean, there are observable differences in humans. High altitude adaptation for example. In D&D that would be expressed as a constitution bonus.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
You're absolutely right, not an argument worth having, and probably not the forum for it, either.

Anywho, I finished reading Deviant, and I dunno, I feel like it tries too hard to be so generic that you can have RoboCop, Nightcrawler and Jesse from Control all in a party, but that it has no cohesion.

I felt like they tried too hard to force that cohesion with language. They go so far into inventing their own lexicon that it just seems forced and out of place. The Web of Pain mechanic also feels bolted on strictly to weld together the disparate genres.

Still, neat concepts.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 4, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

You'd think nihilism would still be a pretty popular and common thing. It's not like the world has gotten better since the 90s.

The 90s were a time of optimism for a lot of folks. Cold War was over and no more threat of random nuclear annihilation.

Promethean 1E was pretty nihilistic. Promethean 2E was really softened up. Deviant is pretty nihilistic; it flat out says the life expectancy for a renegade is six months, and here's how to replace dead characters on the regular. Let alone the whole 'Web of Pain' 'lol you destroyed your conspiracy so here's a new one trying to capture you probably run by your wife' mechanic.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As far as I remember, they just changed the Disquiet and Wasteland rules to be more playable (and by extension less harsh) and spent a bit more time talking about how becoming human is something you can accomplish so keep your chin up. Promethean 1e was already pretty optimistic despite the constant misery, 2e didn't need to change much.

They majorly toned down Disquiet and Wasteland, and instead of the 'become human' concept being very nebulous and almost mythical, they laid out a specific quest chain to turn human.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
For the true zeitgeist of the 90s, look to the original Conspiracy X RPG.

Oh, and Ray Winnegar’s UnderGround.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I have a dumb question that has probably been answered somewhere in the mass of books but are there any prometheans created through methods only possible by being made by any of the other core book classes? Like, is it possible for a fetch to be considered a promethean, or for prometheans to be made through magic, or as a result of demons going into their covers?

I'm curious because I'm not sure if any of those could potentially grant the azoth spark necessary to create a promethean or if the creatures made by others through their own magical powers are inherently elevated above or otherwise removed from alchemy and azoth poo poo. I'd wonder if such a promethean would be at least partially capable of the feats bestowed by its parent or if they would become like their parent through achieving the great work.

Sam Haight is also a Promethean.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Close combat: hit them

Athletics: throw shot at them or archer at them.

Firearms: pull a trigger at them.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Big Hubris posted:

I feel like with Earthblood they either heard everyone say "A sidescrolling beat-em-up is the only way they can make a good one." and then someone decided they knew better than everyone about what they wanted OR they said "werewolf dark souls" and they ended up with a ps2 x-men game.

Supposedly the game is a reskinned Styx: Master of Shadows, but honestly, a reskinned Wolverine Origins would have been better.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Honestly, just look at actual scientists from the 1890s to the 1960s, and you've got SoE.

"I'm pretty sure that by sticking this wire in the air, I can talk to people across the ocean!"

"Of course this contraption will fly! Behold as we slip the surly bonds of gravity and soar like Icarus!"

"Hey, I think if we take this metal, shape it in a certain way, and squish it, it's going to explode with literally the power of the sun. Lets find out!"

"Huh, we can shoot invisible waves out and detect approaching airplanes, but we can also use it to cook food! Huzzah!"

"See the moon up there? We're going to walk on it! How? Who cares? We'll figure it out as we go along!"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

This goes straight back to "this is either Deviant or Demon," though, with only minor reskinning — defining the terrible conspiracy that made you, as a collaborative effort between players and Storyteller, is exactly how Deviant's conspiracies work, while Demon's God-Machine can easily be spun as the forward infrastructure of the posthuman luminous beings who will change everything forever. Which turns the question into "what do you want, hardscrabble zoomed-in struggle or weird cosmic spy action?"

Like I said: it's about the gameplay loop, the question of "what do X do?" What does it look like on the ground, what kind of action is typical? I get the vibe from your angle that THEY are not yet present, THEY are basically synonymous with the apocalypse or the singularity or whatever millenial transformation awaits... so if THEY aren't here, what do we do? If we oppose THEM, we can't fight THEM, because THEY aren't here to fight. If we support THEM, we... fight the government? Undermine social institutions? Just generally help make life lovely for people? (That's a Mage game playing as the bad guys. The Mage bad guys do that.)

"Sponsor XCOM" is the one detail in here that is definite territory that both has cool and interesting appeal and hasn't been staked out by existing games you would just reskin. "The end of the world as we know it is coming. We have the beginning of a power base. Assemble more; their forward agents are already here working to undermine our operations." That probably wouldn't look much like a typical Chronicles of Darkness game, where you focus on individual characters. If we spend too much time on how Dr. Vahlen's family life is doing and who she meets when she goes for a late night coffee, we're not really playing a game about an oncoming apocalypse. And if it's truly going to be a game about building XCOM, and not a game that says it's about building XCOM but is actually about a few guys brokering deals or doing little heists to smooth over XCOM's bottom line, then you need rules for having at least some of XCOM around doing things, which again won't play well with an individual focus. But you could build something out of the XCOM RPG.

The game about building XCOM probably isn't also the game about playing individual alien-human hybrids, though.

Terribly late to Alien chat, but if you're looking for inspiration for this, check out Conspiracy X. 1e if you can, for the fluff; 2e condenses and consolidates a lot of it really well, but I also think it loses some of the magic by doing so.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I liked how in oWoD, the various main lines were interconnected, but not fundamentally. Like, if you're playing Vampire, yes, the garou are there, all the tribes, breeds, Gaia, blah blah blah, but they're faceless killers that are death for a neonate or even a coterie stepping foot outside the cities, and sometimes stepping foot into the wrong streets or alleys, but they're more like plot devices and macguffins, rather than 'oh by the way, there's this entire other spiritual war going on, blah blah blah.'

OTOH, if you're playing WW, you're in a desperate battle to slow the advance of the Wyrm, and sure, there are leeches around, smell of the Wyrm, probably in knowing thrall, but who cares about their politics? Descendents of Caine? Whatever, rip and tear, glory and blood.

But either way, you can take them or leave them as you see fit.

I feel like nWoD/CoD has too many moving parts. It's one thing to say 'there are things in the darkness most people don't know about' and maybe there's a huge civilization of vampires, but there's also a few werewolves kicking around, and maybe there's a huge civilization of were-woofs, but there's still a few blood suckers kicking around, but I feel like it beggars belief to say 'yes, there's, lets see, absolutely vampires, werewolves, changlings, beasts, deviants, mages, promethians, mummies, hunters, and various minor bits, all fighting over basically the same land and resources, and nobody really notices.' Like, drat, is there even room for humans amoung all this?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There seems to be a running gag that Nosferatu are better artists and performers than the clan whose whole deal is art and performance.

I mean, the whole point of Toreador is that they’re poo poo artists and it pisses them off, and the whole point of Nosferatu is “beauty destroyed.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

The thing about Book of the Weaver is that it's a shockingly goofy book, from earlier in the line than I orginally thought.

One of the main Weaver-based villains is the corporation DNA, which is trying to find a cure for lycanthropy, which they have decided is a disease, and have pooh-poohed the idea that something supernatural is going on. They decided that the way werewolves double their loving mass is "probably a function of increased adrenaline."

My comment at the time was that instead they should be trying to duplicate the wolfman gene and sell it to the NFL to make werewolf linebackers, because that would actually be less silly.

It also has a lot of computer magic written by someone who doesn't understand how computers work.

I mean, early WWtA was “Saturday morning cartoon view of environmentalism plus slasher movie gore.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Loomer posted:

Also, a surprising amount of fascism.

Again, Saturday morning cartoon influence.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Speaking of which, is there a canon statement on which dawn and dusk we're talking about when it comes to when a vampire rises? Do they have to wait for the last rays of sunlight to fade, or is the Sun dipping below the horizon enough?

Though even with the most generous interpretations only being awake for nighttime sounds like a pain in the rear end if you're the busy sort.

If you can see the sun, the sun can see you. If the sun can see you, you're on fire.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

What makes 2nd Edition better?

The General Life-Cycle of TTRPGs, by Me:

1st edition:

Cool new setting, cool new concept, something about it is pretty neat. The rules are a bit bare bones. There are glaring issues that the writers/playtesters didn't notice, because they're playing the game 'as intended' as opposed to 'as written.' There are glaring missing things; your fantasy world has a class for noble and holy paladins, but not just a mounted knight, for example. The world building is minimum.

1st edition supplements:

This is where stuff that didn't make it into the core rules comes out. Glaring deficiencies are identified and filled in. Missing systems are written as 'optional' rules. Player options are expanded; new races/classes/power sets/whatever. The world starts to get fleshed out a little bit.

2nd edition:

Oh yeah. Everything that was learned in first edition gets thrown in. Stupid stuff is cut out. The world is more fleshed out and 'natural' based on play and feedback. The core system is fully playable, covers all the basics, and is a nice, self-contained system. At most, you'll need three books to play this version entirely happily; player's guide, master's guide, and maybe a separate monster manual. The system is built to be extensible, open-ended, and give you all sorts of options for playstyles.

2nd edition supplements:

Oh yeah. poo poo gets wild. Every little corner of the world gets it's own splat. Every race gets a splat. Every class gets a splat. Every individual rules system gets it's own deep-dive splat. Sure, you can play a fighter, but buy the Complete Fighter's Handbook, and now you've got so many options for playing all sorts of different fighters. Hell, philosophical concepts in the game get their own splats. Want to center your campaign around down-and-dirty street urchins? There's a splat for that. Want to play reality-bending arch-mages? There's a splat for that. Want to play as 'the bad guys?' There's probably an entire line of splats for that. Want to play in a completely different world? Take your pick, we have box sets aplenty. Want to logically extend in game ideas? Hey, maybe the guys who jack into their cars via rigger decks could jack into any sort of mechanical machine, and now you have security riggers who 'inhabit' the buildings they're guarding. Maybe these splats are all basically compatible, maybe you're playing RIFTS and every splat overpowers the previous one. But it's a glorious time for the line!

3rd edition:

Man, there's a lot of cruft built up. There's two roads games here usually take. If the original designers are still around, 3rd edition is 2nd edition plus all the stuff that was majorly in a splat. Shadowrun, I'm looking at you. If the property has changed creative hands, you get a hard reboot. AD&D, I'm looking at you. You probably have a brand-new system, a brand-new world-state, and a weird combination of 'back to basics' stripping down of stuff, right along side a 'you can do anything' rules bloat.

3rd edition supplements:

There usually aren't all that many. The 2nd edition stuff covered most of it, can can either be easily converted, or there will be a conversion system.

4th edition:

This is one of two things. If 3rd edition was an extension of the existing systems, 4th edition is the 'cleanup' edition. Again, see Shadowrun. If there was a reboot, well, this is probably a corrective re-reboot. Hello, D&D.

4th edition supplements:

These tend to be few and far between.

5th edition, or, the timeskip:

The game has been around long enough now that people who played 2nd edition as kids are now designing the game. The 'feel' of the game is more old-school, but the design is often very new-school; rules light, ease of play, dice get out of the way of story telling. Gone are the days of doing algebra to figure out a target number, twenty pages of lookup tables, and corner case rules aplenty.

The game will take one of two approaches: one is 'reboot, but classic feel,' AKA D&D5e. The other is the 20th Anniversary Edition style door-stopper that tries to encompass the entire prior gameline.

Now, that all said, any given person's 'favorite' version will probably be the version they grew up playing. But objectively speaking, for a lot of games, the 2nd edition core rules are, indeed, often the 'best' to just sit down and start playing with.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I really like the Ascension setting and never really got into Awakening, but I'll freely admit that you have to jettison most of the Traditions-as-coherent groups parts of the setting to make it interesting. Lumping wildly different magical practices under broad umbrellas is peak "everything needs a splatbook" oWoD excess.

Do that, and run with the Technocracy as pretty much a metaphor for western industrial capitalism/colonialism who doesn't give a poo poo about Mages/Magic/The Supernatural until they get in the way, and you've got a bunch of interesting spaces to tell stories in. Heroic Technocrats with good intentions trapped within a horrible system (No Ethical Magic Under Capitalism), Mages trying to fight a guerrilla war against magical exploitation and cultural erasure, Weird poo poo Happens and there's an uneasy alliance between opposed factions, lots and lots of magical culture jamming, etc etc.

I never understood how you'd get 13 or however many mystic traditions who, by and large, all honestly and truly believe that their form of magic is the only 'real' form of magic, and nothing else will work, working together. The game states that until you hit higher levels of arete and magic, you need your good old VSM components, and you don't understand that you're will-working, so to my mind, the Akashic watching a Verbena bleed herself to curse an opponent should generate just as much paradox as a sleeper would.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Octavo posted:

The only version of the traditions that really believe that their magic is the only true magic is the covenants in Dark Ages Mage. By the time of the Sorcerers Crusade, they recognize that other magic is metaphysically possible, and they create the 9 spheres terminology as a way to communicate across cultures.
Also, even an awakened technocrat can't force a verbena to generate paradox unless they're in a technocratic reality zone. For that matter, if a Verbena tries a blood-soaked healing spell in an Akashic sanctum (not chantry), it would be vulgar with witnesses.

I know, and the whole idea is that the arete recognizes will working, even if the mage themselves don't.

It still, I think, doesn't make sense, from an in-game perspective.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Interest lost then. I already got Vigil.

Depends on what they mean by 'edges.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Loomer posted:

Also any vampire philosophy question is best answered by watching Blade and What We Do In The Shadows.

No I will not explain.

Vampire philosophy in a nutshell: some motherfuckers always tryin'a ice skate up hill.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

This is the correct way to use them unfortunately. Pick something you think you’re going to do so get the beats. It’s not super ideal, but does give the table an idea of what everyone wants to do.

Better solution is to either use static XP gains in a session so you’re not pushing squares through circles, or just giving everyone aspiration beats anyway because they’ve been helpful in pushing the session in a direction.

Yeah, the whole point is 'Hey storyteller, here's the things I want to see happen to my character this session.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Really stupid question about nosferatu.

Are all nosferatu specifically physically repulsive to look at and ugly in terms of conventional beauty or is the ugliness not necessarily a physical thing but more of an aura and that they just exude the idea and concept of being repulsive and ugly, for whatever definition of what that means being up to the player playing them?

V1, V2, VRev and V20 were 'walking Masquerade violation' levels of ugly.

quote:

Physical horror is the lot of the Nosferatu,
and their unsettling deformations are countless.
No two Nosferatu share the exact same malformation,
and the Clan is a freakshow of snarled limbs,
fanged protrusions, hellish countenances, serpentine
spines, ruined faces, spasmodic appendages, and
even features not usually seen on the mortal stock
from which the Nosferatu are drawn. The Sewer
Rats often hide these disfigurements under shapeless
robes and rags, but some exult in the discomfort
their presence causes, and don’t bother disguising
them. They may even emphasize them.

Mechanically, they have no appearance trait.

V5, they're still supernaturally ugly, but the mechanics are different:

quote:

Hideous and vile, all Nosferatu
count as having the Repulsive
Flaw (-2) and can never increase
their rating in the Looks Merit. In
addition, any attempt to disguise
themselves as human incur a
penalty to your dice pool equal
to your character’s Bane Severity
(this includes the Obfuscate powers
Mask of a Thousand Faces and
Impostor’s Guise)

So ugly that even the 'supernatural look less ugly' powers don't work so good on them.

In Requiem, they're not necessarily ugly, but they are somehow supernaturally strange and off-putting.

quote:

Weakness: All Nosferatu are repulsive or at the very least uncomfortable to be around.
The cause need not be a physical deformity. A palpable aura of menace, a charnel odor
or the undeniable manner of a predator is just as compelling as a twisted body. With
regard to dice pools based on Presence or Manipulation Attributes in social situations,
the 10-again rule does not apply. Additionally, any 1’s that come up on a roll are
subtracted from successes. (This latter part of the weakness does not affect dramatic failure
rules.) This weakness does not apply to dice pools that involve the Intimidation
Skill, or to the Composure Attribute.

Requiem 2e changes the mechanics, but the idea is still 'strange and off-putting,' not 'physically deformed,' but only to humans. And not even to all humans at that point.

quote:

Nosferatu: The Lonely Curse
Nosferatu embody fear, disgust, and all manner of
uncomfortable feelings. Some are inhumanly ugly. Some have
a gaze that makes a person feel violated. Every Nosferatu has
something that stands in the way of normal relationships. When
dealing with humans, treat the Nosferatu’s Humanity as two dots
lower for the purpose of Social penalties, and treat any Presence
and Manipulation failures as dramatic failures. This bane does not
apply to interactions with Touchstones or Kindred.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 15, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

I need some ST Help. How do you stop people from playing anti-social/paranoid as gently caress vampires. I've done absolutely nothing to make them paranoid, but I'm playing with three characters. Two have been playing for awhile and one is brand new. The new person is willing to go along with story hooks and has a stated ambition of having the most glorious rock collection ever. Easy enough, people have fancy watches and rings to steal which can lead to shenanigans.

The other two seem to be content sitting in their havens. Their characters lack any sort of ambition, I've outright asked them, "Hey what do your characters want to accomplish" and they've said basically "to be left alone". Like at one point do I say gently caress it your anti-socialness has pissed off a head vampire and he firebombs your havens?

You talk to them out of the game about what sort of game they want to play, and what sort of arc they want to see for their characters, and you either accommodate them, or stop inviting them.

Or, lean into the paranoia; maybe that's what they're looking for in the game. They wake up, and surprise, their haven is rearranged. They go out hunting, and that tall thin dude in the trenchcoat seems to be everywhere, and just keeps staring at them. And why are all the local Nosferatu suddenly avoiding them?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

This is hands down the best mage pc narrative goal I've ever seen period and you rule for it

My objection would be that by the time you were the living embodiment of rear end in a top hat Rich Guy, you'd *be* rear end in a top hat Rich Guy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

That's the part that makes it amazing. The hubris to think that you're awesome enough to withstand being the embodiment of what you hate and then also to still sacrifice yourself while being the embodiment of rear end in a top hat Rich Guy is amazing. It's clearly flawed, but the mage doesn't care about being flawed like that. You're obsessed and it's what you're going to try to do and damned be the consequences.

"Now, I knew I'd have to do things I don't want to do. I went into this knowing that I'm sacrificing every moral, every ethical conviction, I have. I accepted that I'm sacrificing so many more things beyond my life. And you know what? I knew that once I actually became the living avatar of rear end in a top hat Rich Guy, I was going to refuse to throw myself in that volcano. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to enjoy my wealth and power. So then I got to thinking, 'what would an rear end in a top hat Rich Guy do?' So I set up a blind trust, and paid a group of people to knock me out, physically carry me to that volcano, and toss me in. They all knew what they signed up for, what they're sacrificing, too, but their families would be well taken care of. Because what's the point of being an rear end in a top hat Rich Guy if you're not willing to pay off some schlubs to kill somebody that's pissing you off? And man, future me already really REALLY pissed me off."

"Wow. So, when do you figure that will happen?"

"Oh, it happened two years ago."

"But you're not dead."

"No, because rear end in a top hat Rich Guy me paid some other schlubs even more money to knock off the first group. That's the problem with knowing your own plans."

:monocle:

"Top drawer, Wadsworth!"

:cheers:

"To industry!"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Oh, widderslainte show up in the first Book of Madness in 1994. If you complete the process of becoming a Nephandus by going through the Caul, you've basically guaranteed that all future incarnations of your Avatar will be "dark triad" lovely little kids who will grow up to be lovely adults and Awaken directly into being Nephandi again. The revised core revisits this briefly in the antagonist write-up for them and notes that sometimes, for some reason, a reincarnating Nephandus' Avatar goes back to normal in the following life, but that doesn't come up again in Book of Madness revised as far as I can recall or find by skimming.

M20's Book of the Fallen dabbles a little in the concept that widderslainte can actually be saved, but it also piles on the "this is nearly impossible and no one ever tries and for all practical purposes established by the narrative and rules in these books if you find someone with a poisoned Avatar you should just go ahead and destroy their soul instead of trying to save them." Basically trying to have its cake and eat it, too, by declaring that no one's truly born bad, but in-universe it's impossible to tell that's true so I guess it's time to murder some children with emotional problems.

Ah yes, the “abuse is terrible, so let’s shred the souls of problem children” book.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun fact, his actual name would have been Joshua, son of Joseph

Yeshua bin Yousef.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Fellow WoD nerds, I need your thoughts.

So I'm running a V5 embrace campaign that's going well so far and is gearing up for it's third session.

Last session I had a big dramatic moment where the neonate met the Prince, who then gave a big speech about his new reign over SF and then declared a Bloodhunt on any Sabbat found in the city.

My notes for the next session have the player and a couple NPC's she hangs out with exploring an abandoned building for other reasons when they find an abandoned Sabbat haven that's been wrecked by a fight. They also find a big rear end Sabbat ankh spray painted on the wall and a slip of paper with a bit of Nod prophecy written on it.

I'm 50/50 on if the Sabbat are actually making a return to the city (in my plot there was a major Sabbat v Cam war in early 00's in the area) to cause trouble, or if this is all an elaborate scheme by the Prince (who has been in power in game for all of about a month as of the last session) to shake up the city and cement his reign as prince because he was there to stop a new invasion by the Sabbat.

I feel like both options have dramatic potential, but I'm kinda leaning more towards the "New Prince's scheme" angle of this whole thing, because as I said he took power about a month prior to the game starting because the previous prince Sara Ann (I could not find a straight answer on who was supposed to be the loving prince of SF online, it was either Vannevar or Sara Ann, so I settled on Sara) just disappeared without a trace, which is a plot thread that hasn't been pulled on just yet (50/50 she's dead/she got Beckoning'ed).

You're not thinking convoluted enough.

The Anarchs are stirring up poo poo, because Anarchs, so they're planting fake evidence of a Sabbat presence to force the Prince to spend time and treasure, then make him look bad when, surprise, there's no actual threat.

The Prince is fully aware of this plot, but is using it for his own ends; gathering more power to himself, beefing up his own security, and so on.

Meanwhile, a Sabbat scout actually has entered the city, and is busily looking for the local Sabbat that they keep seeing evidence of.

The actual Sabbat that still infest the city, however, have spent the last two decades licking their wounds and biding their time. They're aware of this new Sabbat, and intend to throw him to the wolves by exposing him to the Prince, with evidence that he's a lone scout that showed up last week. A member of the Prince's court, who is a Sabbat asset, will suggest that the scout be broken through torture, blood bond, domination, whatever, and sent packing with a report that the city is too secure to move on at this time. They then intend to wait for the Prince to publicly proclaim what a great job he did keeping the Sabbat out, then strike a series of targets, undermining the Prince's credibility and support.

Meanwhile, poor Bobby, a down-and-out, unpresented caitiff wastrel, happens to look uncannily like this Sabbat scout, and is in the wrong place at the wrong time when the 'scout' is snatched.

But Bobby has a weird kind of friendship with a local group of Bone Gnawers, because Bobby was a social worker before he was embraced, and he still does what he can to protect the homeless and the street people from his people. And when he turns up missing, they go looking.

And don't even get me started on the Toreador primogen who has held a grudge against the Prince for the longest time, ever since said prince, just a young whelp at the time, made a sneering comment about her latest attempt at a gallery showing however long ago.

Or, you know, just fall back on the tried and true 'the third thing the players think is going on, is what's going on.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

I like a lot of what you've suggested, and I definitely will be copying it over to my notebook for ideas, although I kinda already had the Scourge execute a captured "Sabbat" member at Elysium last session lol.
Poor Bobby. Now the hidden local Sabbat are stuck with this brash young scout tied up and locked in a closet; he's all idealistic and full of fire, who wants to start a crusade right away, and they don't want their apple cart upset. They have plans, you know, and they really don't have the time or inclination to educate this young zealot on how the world really works.

Meanwhile Scratches His Balls the Gnawer Philodox and Shits Too Often the Gnawer Ragabash are standing around outside the liquor store with a box full of sandwiches and water bottles, wondering where Bobby is for their weekly check in of a local homeless camp.
[/quote]

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I mean, given that your average 'large' American city would have 10 or 20 vampires in it, vampire-vampire combat should actually be vanishingly rare.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

That seems really really small.

From my own perspective, that means Atlanta Metro[population ~6 million] has a vampire population of only .00001%

The ratio given is usually 1 vampire per 100k humans. So ~60 vampires in Atlanta. Still enough that everybody knows everybody by name and probably by sight, and that losing a single vampire is a significant chunk of the local population.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
PT was bad because the fluff description was explicitly ignored by the rules as being too disruptive.

“It’s part of the world building but it’s unplayable” means it shouldn’t be part of the world building.

I do like the idea of an intermediate level of “on edge.” “You fail your PT roll. Because you’re of lower blood, you have a penalty to social dice and resisting disciplines from them as your beast whines and hides.”

Or “you fail your PT role. Your beast refuses to cower before this lesser vampire. You cannot use manipulate or charm in any way; only intimidate.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Well, the easy way is to crib from non-western mythology.

Throw a Pontianak or Kuntilanak at them. Or a Penanggalan.

Otherwise, crib from other RPGs that have already done the work.

GURPS had some great sourcebooks. Blood Types will give you some ideas. Turn the pc power level way down and leave them in the dark completely, and GURPS Black Ops is a fantastic Hunter setting.

Conspiracy X 1e had some great supernatural and cryptozoology stuff.

Go steal some ideas from random Palladium books. Rifts, Splicers, Beyond the Supernatural….

Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The imbued were originally the return of the exalts, but they dropped that idea pretty drat quick.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Gotta wonder which would be more interesting

1. a game where you're a survivor of an abduction and the way your mind has been changed is related to whatever the purpose behind your abduction was. It'd be similar to deviant and changeling but with emphasis on being the victim of a galactic plot you can never possibly understand your purpose in, so like being a sleeper agent who isn't sure what purpose their abduction was supposed to serve, and the alienation from society of now that you carry knowledge of the stars and that nobody will ever believe you except fellow abductees.

2. Playing as the aliens who have to perform all kinds of stealthy hit and runs on earth in order to achieve some complex goal with an emphasis on how you handle the task of prepping earth to be brought into a larger galactic society as a colony.

3. Just Men in Black and/or X-COM.

Now I’m bitter again that the sequel to Conspiracy X where the Saurian fleets arrived was cancelled.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Guess who just scored 3 boxes of old RPGs at a local game store for 200 CDN, including a full run of Orpheus and if not the entire run of Hunter: The Reckoning, drat close.

This is why I keep a database of my collection on my phone.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 30, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Honestly, you’d be designing the stories around “not combat.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The date night should be 100% trouble free. Play up how beautiful the night is, how lovely it is to forget that you're a blood sucking leach for just one evening. Ice cream that you can't eat, but the date's face lights up with joy at. Walking through a public garden full of beautiful blooming flowers, but all your vampire senses can smell is rot and fertilizer. Beautiful full moon that just reminds you of what the sun would do you to. One of those guys that walks around taking pictures of couples to sell them a photo; how lovely would that be? A horse and buggy ride? Oh, that would be magical, but the horse won't let you near.

The tragedy here is the whole 'trying to hold on to something you can't.' Contrast it to the nights of blood and violence and horror.

Leave the dark world completely out of it, don't even hint at it. It will be conspicuous in it's absence, and the player will just get more and more paranoid about the guaranteed twist that, you know, the date gets kidnapped, witnesses a feeding, sees a ghost, whatever.

That will never happen. The date will live their life in blissful ignorance, unless the player purposefully draws them into things. And it will be terrible, and drive the player paranoid and crazy. Or tear them apart trying to live between two worlds. Which is the whole point of a game of personal horror.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Tulip posted:

this is my move, do recommend

e: I have done this often enough though that it no longer drives paranoia so much as a kind of quiet sadness and longing

Exactly. No, you're not a superhero with fangs. You're an undead horror who can't even hold hands with somebody without either a) being reminded that you're not even alive in all the little comments about how cold you are, how you never eat, how you never take a bathroom break, and so on, or b) have had to drain the blood of a human being just to warm up your dead, pale flesh.

No, you can't have a picture to remember the evening by, you won't show up on the film. No, you can't go for a romantic carriage ride, the horse will freak out. No, you can't make plans for a trip through the countryside Sunday afternoon; you'd explode. No, you can't spontaneously meet up tonight on short notice for a cool jazz concert; you got caught up in some poo poo last night, and tonight you NEED to feed or you're going to frenzy.

You don't even need to set up 'situations' where the PC has to maintain the masquerade. Just play the NPC love interest like a plain old human in a plain old setting with zero vampires, wanting to do plain old standard dating things that the player simply cannot do because, well, they're not human any more. The tragedy comes naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Thank you again. This is all fantastic and I'm super excited to start getting my notes actually written for the session and then playing it out. It will be interesting to play a normal rear end mortal for a change lol.

I think I'm going to swing the baby Tremere into the session at some point, have her run into the PC and her date and have a little awkward conversation. The PC and the Tremere aren't much different with regard to their embraces (the Tremere is a couple months older) so a bit of "Awkwardly trying to discuss the magic thing the Tremere helped out with a couple sessions ago in a Masquerade friendly way" would be fun and potentially brings the baby Tremere into the PCs circle a bit more as a potential ally.

I'd say don't. Keep the two worlds completely separate, and force the player to juggle between them.

If, which is to say when, the whole thing comes crashing down, it should be through the player's action or inaction. The player should be stuck between two worlds; one that she can never really be in, but desperately want to, and one that she doesn't want to be in, but can't really ever leave short of staking herself out for the sunrise. The tension and drama comes from the contrast between the two worlds, and her being pulled between them and the vast differences; mashing them together just gets you Lost Girl, and this week's wacky hijink where Bob the Human Love Interest accidently winds up betrothed to an unseelie fae because he innocently offered her a scone, not realizing that by her laws, this is an iron clad proposal, and how will the PC untangle this mess? And oops, the Sabbat pops in to raise some hell! Time for a choreographed fight scene that doesn't even muss up the protagonist's hair, and allows for some quips.

Having Baby Tremere (do do do do do do) show up and awkwardly talk around things in a weird roundabout way will most likely come off very contrived and silly, very comic relief, you know?

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 12, 2022