Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Someone was telling me that not being good for cross-splat play hurts Demon the Descent's popularity and I'm flabbergasted that people actually try to do cross-splat poo poo.

I've done and am currently running a crosssplat game. It works out fine but if you're someone who wants to keep on theme then yes it is rather difficult. I wouldn't try it with demon though unless you put down a hard rule that they have to IC hide their nature.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone here a woman or if you participate in games a lot, do you see many women?

I've always been the rather antisocial type of nerd but back when GamerGate, Sad Puppies, ComicsGate, etc. were raging, a lot nerd circles were exposed as horrible dens of misogyny.

This came to mind because I really want my GF to play Bloodlines. She loves vampires and video games and this game rules. But you cannot help but notice that all the hookers are women or that Jeanette exists or that Heather is a girl or the enlarge boobs code or that most of the popular mods are for female PC's. I don't have a problem with any of this - I play a lady vampire - and nobody recommends Bloodlines because of any of this. We love it because of its music and atmosphere and writing. At the same time, the presence of all these things indicate they were pandering to a straight male audience. Again, no problem with that but it made me wonder just how many women are in the WoD fandom?

I only know the YouTuber Outstar who is a lady and very cool.

Woman here. When I first got into late middle school not a single one of my male friends had heard about it so at the time I was under the impression it was more a girl thing than say D&D.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Nonsense. Epstein was killed because he's working with The Gentry.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Okay taking that now to stick in HackFuture.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I always treated humans as having essence generation turned to 11 compared to anything else, and that's before we're really doing anything or having societies. Get humans resonating with something and then it gets even more absurd. That's part of how I explain the whole humans-don't-have spirits thing: it's like trying to fill a balloon with a fire hose.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I would say their covers do, since if they didn't that would be a very obvious sign something isn't right. The Demon themself though, that's... if they do it's not conventional in the slightest.

I Am Just a Box posted:

The Demon Storyteller's Guide has a section of crossover rules with each gameline, but the passage on the blood bond is ambiguous as to whether it's talking about the Vinculum (you're slavishly loyal to the vampire you drank from) or Vitae addiction (you just really need a fix of vampire blood and it doesn't matter whose):
My call on that is Vinculum is Cover-specific but it doesn't actually make the Demon themself slavishly loyal, it just means not being slavishly loyal causes Compromise. Vitae addiction on the other hand is Cover irrelevant.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Eh, that makes it entirely too easy for a mage to find demons and mages don't need anything easier. They need to be hit with the stick every chance you get.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Archonex posted:

Also, i'd argue that there are human spirits. Look up how demons (As in, the actual demonic demons.) work in 1e. They can literally spawn from humans that get too far into their vice. The process of birthing a demon tends to drive said (likely evil) human insane however. If you follow the logic of a lot of the game lines in that offspring of a given being belong to the type of creature in some way then that basically makes at least some Inferno type demons the children of humanity once removed. Which has all sorts of horrific implications you could play with if you were wanting to examine the existential horror of just what sort of spirits come from humanity.

Also, I vaguely recall there being some sort of ur-human spirits that are super rare in the modern era for some reason. Though I might be confusing it with something else.

That depends on how you want to go about defining spirits and that is a good one. Over in my ever-expanding framework I've got demons of the inferno and their ilk as being a fundamentally different kind of ephemeral being. That said I don't have humans as having always been special in regards to not having spirits, it's just been uh, like 100,000 years since that was the norm.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I want to say that's the case but that also feels like something I'd decide "yep that's how we're gonna do it now."

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
That would certainly be why I opted to make it cause problems with their covers if they don't play along with the Disquiet.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The Giovanni, and Tremere for that matter, are both much better if treated as a Covenant.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

There aren’t any Tzimisce in nWoD, which I kinda assume this is about what with the Carthians stuff.

There are you want there to be. I've got rules I wrote up for nWoD vicissitude. Well, half-written up rules really. I'm terrible about actually getting around to finishing stuff once I get it to the point I can mentally fill in the rest.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'm running a Deviant game.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I, who wrote them in 2e, am of the "The Principle doesn't exist, and qashmallim are natural phenomena that *look* like independent beings, but are actually the same thing as Firestorms" persuasion.

Truly the best take of the lot.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Kurieg posted:

It's Matt McFarland.

:allbuttons:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've been running a D&D game for a group of young adults (18-25ish) with depression/anxiety/whatever, set up by their group therapist to help them socialize. A few of them dropped out, and now we're down to three, and they've asked me to run Vampire. I'm going to do Requiem 2e. I'm pretty familiar with it but I haven't really run it before. What are some good resources for setting up a chronicle? Are there any published adventures that are good for new players and also, well, good?

Also, I'm planning to start them as mortals and have them embraced in the first session. I'm having a little trouble thinking of reasons three people would be turned at once, probably by three different clans. I'm thinking someone looking to turn them loose to make trouble and misdirect attention away from something else. Does the thread have any other ideas?

Kurieg's idea is pretty good but you also need to consider the politics of the city they're in. Most princes aren't going to take kindly to that sort of thing and the stereotype is that they'll be more than happy to take it out on the newly embraced. So you're going to need a reason as to why they're going to tolerate such a blatant violation of the traditions and what not. This is a good place to insert vampire politics if you're looking to play up that angle, so if they all have a covenant they're leaning towards that's a good place to have them step up to bat for them.

Though its for 1E, Damnation City is a pretty good book when it comes to figuring out how vampires lord over a place.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
When it comes to the God-Machine you need to first figure out what you want from it in a chronicle before you can really answer any of the questions. The specifics of how it functions should always be in service to that first and foremost.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Bah, mages should always be wrong!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I have never once been able to get myself to use aspirations.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like the idea of the God-Machine being aligned with various other conspiracies mostly because maintaining the status quo is in their common interest. From the other end of things, Seers and some vampires might be aware of the God-Machine to a degree and see it as a potentially useful tool.

It's all fun and games until your fingers get caught in the gears. Which is probably planned for.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
As far as weird-rear end phenomenon go, those are far more easily understandable to mages since they're already working through things the masters among them are already used to toying with. The God-Machine meanwhile, IMO, should always lean on the side of what you feel the first time you see someone pulling a arbitrary code execution in a speed run even if that someone happens to be a master of several different arcana.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks for sharing that. That really gels with my whole "let's have Tremere vampires too" shenanigans I've got going on. They both hate each other of course.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Do any vampires just cover up a ton and go out in the day or does the daylight not give a gently caress about covering and just wreck any vamps regardless

By canon, there's very little that can be done since even sunlight at dusk and dawn is deadly. So I went off the deep end and started digging into illuminance values to measure things and go from there and the stuff I came up with is not favorable at all. I could give you my full table of crazy if you'd like though.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
It's been a long rear end while since I've thought about oWoD, but yes I'm pretty sure that Fortitude 3 was sufficient to tank twilight or heavy cloud cover.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

YaketySass posted:

Speaking of which, is there a canon statement on which dawn and dusk we're talking about when it comes to when a vampire rises? Do they have to wait for the last rays of sunlight to fade, or is the Sun dipping below the horizon enough?

Though even with the most generous interpretations only being awake for nighttime sounds like a pain in the rear end if you're the busy sort.

I'm don't think it's every clearly spelled out but it seems to imply that vampires wake at around astronomical to nautical dusk and get pushed toward daysleep the second astronomical dawn hits.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The impression I got from that is yes, they would. It has nothing to do with seeing the sun, its just "sun facing side of the planet? Time to nap it off." Even there they do eventually get a bit loopy from sleep deprivation since vampires don't a complete pass on enjoying the long polar nights.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Feeding scenes are something you should do a few times just to set tone. It's a good way to establish how characters tick and what their norm is but once you get that down it should be glossed over there after so long as things are normal. When there's a chance something could go wrong, then you pay attention to it again especially if you can make it dovetail with some other plot point you want to hit.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Malkavians should always be restricted to good players you know and trust. Daeren did an amazing malk in my game with sanguinary animism. Didn't use dementation though, I just cooked up a power that related to his character's fixations and sanguinary animism that let him put feels into blood-paints and related shenanigans.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Obligatum VII posted:

Quasi-relatedly, the way mages view symbols, supernal or otherwise, is flawed. Symbols lack meaning without a context in which to exist, they are void of meaning until actively observed; like a quantum state being resolved. There is no "supernal truth" because the supernal is still just symbols, granted meaning by the context in which they exist, truth cannot exist in the symbols alone. The symbols are part of a larger system that truly comprises what might be viewed as "truth". Following from this, the notion of supernal truth is itself a trap created by a broken reality and/or devised by the exarchs, because it fundamentally reinforces the context in which they were already the winners and will always remain the winners. In conclusion: the Free Council is right but not for the reasons most of them likely think, the Fallen World is incredibly important because it is the context in which the symbols are existing; it is not a shadow cast on the wall, it is the symbols and the space between the symbols, and the interpretation of the symbols (and all the things that don't seem to fit neatly into supernal categorization are because they derive from non-supernal symbols and/or are so transformed by context that trying to view them through only a lens of supernal symbology falls apart). The problem is not that it fell, because that is a fundamental misunderstanding of how it changed state, it is that it became largely static. You could even tie this into the God Machine and say that it was once the process by which reality as we know it integrated new symbols and broke incredibly badly when that stopped being possible.

It's caves all the way up!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'd rather read a hundred pages by Loomer about old setting than a single post about V5 for what it's worth

Loomer is pure gold

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Requiem plays better by far but it does a much worse job of selling itself and its setting. It's a tool box though and easy to hammer into doing what you want with just a little bit of effort. There's a book that coverts Masquerade's elements over to Requiem (and does the reverse as well) out there, but it's for the previous edition.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Vigil is the easiest to start off with.

A lot of Changeling's more fiddly systems are there only if you want to engage with them like Chernobyl Peace Prize points out.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
And just like that magechat has been summoned again.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
That is what it means. It's not spelled out the best but when there's things like say Trained Observer, which comes as a 1 dot version OR a 3 dot version, it helps to spell it out.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Gatto Grigio posted:

That’s good stuff to think about for the Deviant game I’m about to run. I’m from the US, but the game’s set in the UK and those are important political differences to keep in mind.

Has anyone else here run/played Deviant? Didn’t have an interest until I read the F&F review, but it’s the first CofD to spark my interest in a long time. The CofD ruleset is a bit more complex than what I usually run howadays, but I hope I can make it work.

Be absolutely sure all your players are on the same page when it comes to the conspiracy side of things. If you're going to have more than one they need to all be branches of the same tree as it were otherwise shits gets unruly fast.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The other big thing I found out is that Deviant doesn't really seem to engage with power progression like the other games do, or at least in the same way. So if you're players are expecting that it's better to know ahead of time so you can work things out. That's more on me not meshing with the games bias toward burning hot and fast.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I knew it was a mess there but that's something else.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Sandboxes are fine and good, but it is probably good that you don't start with the sandbox. Rather you should lead into it, start with something with a more set direction. Use that to set up foreshadowing and leads that will help provide structure once things open up and they're left to their own devices.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Most of the problem with vampires changing locations is because the basic assumption is that they're all catty assholes hissing at each other in the shadows. Moving means setting up in a new area where they'll be the intruder, which will get all the hissy kindred to agree to be hissy at them. That of course assumes you going full brooding Darwinian bastards with it, which is something Damnation City lays on thick. You're by no means obligated to run, especially in light of things like the historical Covenant Gallow's Post which was explicitly about facilitating travel for vampires across Europe.

If you're willing to entertain the idea that vampires do not in fact have to be going full asshat all the time or that a particular locale is teetering on the razors edge of its carrying capacity, then there's room for them to do interesting things.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: The other problem, of course, is that if you do the math the books claim then only mega cities can support any number of vampires. So essentially, they are all locked in NYC, Philly, Seattle, London, etc., because anything smaller and there's not enough people to feed from without everyone overlapping and causing the locals to set fire to their sleeping places.

That's part of the reason why I adjusted how feeding works with regard to damage and how it maps to actual blood volume. Because I am precisely that kind of nerd. As it stands feeding is so incredibly destructive it's a miracle everyone and their dog doesn't already know about vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Welp. Can't really say I expected otherwise given how dirty they did VaSCU.