Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Who the gently caress is voting for Quavers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My vote goes to jumbo beef hula hoops eaten off the calloused fingers of the working man

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

sinky posted:

:rip:

Hopefully Northampton North can be flipped, there were 800 votes in it in 2017.

Oh, if both Northampton seats don’t go Labour - and I think they both will, especially if BXP stand - then Labour can’t win nationally.

I’m in South Northants, which only has a tiny sliver of Shoe Town, alongside country towns and villages.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Those lib dem stats are more believable than this one right here.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

sinky posted:

What I'm taking away from that is :murder:

guardian_faaaaart.txt

Straight outta early 2000s The Onion

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Labour should have more complicated and difficult messaging instead of attacking the testicles of the masters of mankind says Nils Pratley

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

sinky posted:

What I'm taking away from that is :murder:

guardian_faaaaart.txt

he is developing a more sustainable model of capitalism! this is what it has to look like if you still want capitalism!!

(ed: actually, we could have authoritarian capitalism, i guess? maybe that's what this idiot wants)

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

I wanna give a big thanks to this thread: when you all aren't talking about stupid poo poo like crisps there's a ton of useful information and salient discussion.
I just got back from the campaign launch and canvassing training for my constituency and a question was raised on how to respond to tactical voting sites saying to vote for libdems here and thanks to this thread I was able to bring up exactly how they're full of poo poo.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really into those crisp bags of popcorn recently.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

superLINUS posted:

Oh, if both Northampton seats don’t go Labour - and I think they both will, especially if BXP stand - then Labour can’t win nationally.

I’m in South Northants, which only has a tiny sliver of Shoe Town, alongside country towns and villages.

Of course they wont vote Conservative again after the Conservative council went bankrupt as a direct result of cuts by the Conservative government :shepicide:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/if-you-do-one-thing-this-election-stop-your-kids-voting/

loving hell

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

that link needs a Rod Liddle Warning attached to it

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

loving hell

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1190027038285082624?s=19

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
So today Corbyns campaign launch owned enough that even Hodge said 'yeah it was ok but LOW BAR', under 34s are registering to vote in record numbers and then we had Trump specifically single out Corbyn for attack, today went pretty fantastically right?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Our local branch page FB has been gaining likes quite fast lately - 15 this week which is a lot for us! (but our branch shares the name of the CLP so I think maybe some people think it's also the CLP page).
On our campaign team we have separate wranglers for FB, twitter and now instagram (we found a yoof to do that one for us!)
Also, we have now had permission from our county council highways department to hold a street stall in our branch town every Saturday from now until the election. (Not sure what the other branches have done in terms of that.)

Our county council asked for sight of our public liability insurance cover. If you're doing street stalls, you can find the insurance document here (you have to sign in): https://members.labour.org.uk/Elections

scroll down to public liability insurance certificate. It's valid until 31st August 2020.

I'm also advising our stall runners to keep copies of the emails giving permission for us to hold stalls on their phones in case of challenges. I imagine the relevant location is going to be VERY popular (it's popular anyway!) and not sure how many will have got permission.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 31, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

njsykora posted:

Who the gently caress is voting for Quavers?

for fucks sake just call them eighth notes like the rest of us

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Can you copy the text for peeps without paywall blocker? I want to get angry.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Don't do it to yourself friend

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

looks like someone's a little crotchety. have you been getting minim-al sleep? a breve nap should sort you out

Vitamin P posted:

Can you copy the text for peeps without paywall blocker? I want to get angry.
they've got a lovely paywall that doesn't work if you hit stop before the page fully loads

quote:

As I write this, MPs are arguing about whether a general election should be on 9 December or 12 December. One argued it must be the 9th because other-wise an election might get in the way of vital rehearsals for school nativity plays. I have long been of the opinion that our politicians are mentally ill and most stuff that happens these days seems to confirm it. The more salient reason for the opposition wanting the earlier date is that universities may have broken up by the 12th and the Lib Dems and Labour will therefore risk losing a tidal wave of support from voters who are pig ignorant, pay no taxes and who, when delighted by something, do not clap their hands but wave them in the air like Al Jolson singing ‘Mammy’.

If you have a student son or daughter who’s thinking of voting, shove some high grade skunk under their bedroom door the day before the poll. You can lace the skunk with horse tranquilisers if you wish — do anything, just stop them voting. Pay them not to vote, or organise a rave with bangin’ choons for polling day. It is your duty — and the kids will thank you for it in about ten years’ time, when a semblance of sentience has established itself inside their heads.

It was principally the student vote that won Canterbury for the sobbing and oppressed Rosie ‘#MeToo’ Duffield. Please don’t let that happen again. My own choice of election date would be a day when universities are closed and Muslims are forbidden to do anything on pain of hell, or something. There must be at least one day like that in the Muslim calendar, surely? That would deliver at least 40 seats to the Tories, I reckon.

The better news this week is that the hilarious People’s Vote has imploded, a consequence of the overweening hubris of one man. Roland Rudd is a public-school-educated and very well-heeled PR monkey who was one of the, uh, masterminds behind the Remain campaign. He now claims to be chairman of the People’s Vote campaign for a second — or confirmatory, if you will — referendum, although this is disputed. Whatever the facts, he has executed a purge of the predominantly Blairite big guns who either work for the organisation or sit on its board, in a manner of which Stalin might have approved. So campaign director James McGrory and communications chief Tom ‘I get no kick from champagne’ Baldwin were summarily fired, leading to almost the entire staff walking out in sympathy and going down to the pub for a bit.

Not just that, though. Rudd has also put down a resolution which would remove the reliably useless Will Straw, Lord Mandelson and Joe Carberry from the People’s Vote board. The only Blairite not to be ousted was the commendable Trevor Phillips who responded with outrage, asking why he hadn’t been sacked too. ‘Is it because I is black?’ he questioned, with a degree of irony, and demanded that his objection to being kept on be officially minuted.

Quite what Trevor is still doing there with those revanchist and singularly undemocratic clowns escapes me: I have long suspected that, being a sensible bloke, his heart isn’t quite in it. But he intends to remain a part of the People’s Vote for now. ‘I’m going to stick with it until I am considered important enough to sack,’ he told me, giggling a little.

In the place of this lot come people described by another insider as ‘Roland Rudd’s loving glove puppets’: basically nice people who have never dirtied their hands in the political fray and are unused to hearing views that differ from their own — an important point to which I will return. In the meantime the People’s Vote is in chaos. Matt Kelly, publisher of the hugely successful pro-EU newspaper the New European, responded by asking what I assume was a rhetorical question: ‘Who gives a toss what Roland Rudd thinks of anything? But this week of all weeks he’s somehow contrived to make the campaign for a People’s Vote look like a half-arsed shambles. Great timing, pillock.’

I never quite bought the notion that Brexit has divided the country down the middle. It seems to me that while the vast majority of those who voted Remain were saddened or even distraught about the vote, they still respected that democratic decision. The polls tend to bear this out. The split is between Leavers and disappointed Remainers on one side — maybe five-sixths of the country — and the liberal establishment and People’s Vote legion on the other.

But I may have to reassess even that opinion. Phillips and Kelly, both staunch Remainers, nonetheless understand why people voted to leave the EU and might even have a degree of agreement with some of the reasons they did so. They do not see Leavers as an uneducated morass of racists and low achievers — even if they go along with the patently undemocratic idea that we should hold the vote again and this time get it right. Even within that thinnish band of liberals who continue to rail against Brexit, then, there is a divide: between those who simply cannot comprehend why anybody voted Leave and have probably never met anyone who did — and the others, whose position is more nuanced and amenable and who know that people have to be won over to their cause, bereft though it may be.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

My own choice of election date would be a day when universities are closed and Muslims are forbidden to do anything on pain of hell, or something. There must be at least one day like that in the Muslim calendar, surely? That would deliver at least 40 seats to the Tories, I reckon.

MUZZIES :argh:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

So today Corbyns campaign launch owned enough that even Hodge said 'yeah it was ok but LOW BAR', under 34s are registering to vote in record numbers and then we had Trump specifically single out Corbyn for attack, today went pretty fantastically right?

Yep this election is gonna be a real hard test of people power vs united media and ruling class interests
But with the huge fundraising and vote registering for Labour, bojo being booed out of a hospital and the libdems already showing themselves to be untrustworthy liars, one day in this is pretty good stuff.

I think as the campaign goes on bojo will gently caress up more, his gimmick is being poo poo and useless but the right are hoping they have a trump instead of... A bojo.
Swinson is an awful leader with nothing to recommend anyone to vote for her.
The media and establishment are gonna pull out all the stops though so it's a test of grassroots vs entrenched interests, there is international precedent for this succeeding hut its gonna be tough

This is as good a field as we're gonna get, there's a shot!

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

We definitely need computer touchers!

Fill this in: https://forms.gle/rSApq7hYfYSKzKzg6

Signed up. Hope I can help out.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jesus christ that liddle article, our print media is the worst in the english world

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CGI Stardust posted:

they've got a lovely paywall that doesn't work if you hit stop before the page fully loads

lmao that is the most smack-the-dashboard-to-fix-the-radio approach possible but worked perfectly thanks

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

great piece, any thoughts on england finally getting around to an independent regulator for their housing associations? on the funding side HAs are considered private to allow access to private loans, but are public in effectively any other aspect (inc. FoI in scotland come mid november)

with regards to grenfell stage 1 there's been a lot of effort to make a centralised record on every high rise in scotland, but less activity down south.

there hasn't been a great amount of media spread to owner occupiers but the tolerable standard for all housing in scotland is updated and enforced feb 2021 with the private rent fire safety standard:
- 1 smoke in the main living area (generally the livingroon for non-goons)
- 1 smoke in the hall/main circulatory room per storey (includes loft if converted to a habitable room)
- 1 heat sensor in the kitchen (or per kitchen...)
- all the above are interlinked (one goes off they all do)
- ceiling mounted (unless the manufacturer says otherwise)
- mains w/ battery backup or a tamperproof lithium battery rated 10y (or the same lifespan as the detector, these used to substantially vary...)

you've likely saw every council/ha rushing around to upgrade their entire stock to these exact specs since feb (or earlier if they were confident the draft legislation wasn't changing), and since it's the tolerable standard it could effect your mortgage or insurance

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

Jesus christ that liddle article, our print media is the worst in the english world

[cassowary intensifies]

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I did a thing for the podcast's twitter account -

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1190028677796564992?s=20

and the bookend tweet -

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1190032366904979458?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

lmao that is the most smack-the-dashboard-to-fix-the-radio approach possible but worked perfectly thanks

are you really surprised a bunch of senile nazis overwatched by andrew o loving neill aren't competent web designers?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1190030136067932160
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1190032159383474177

Why are the Tories always surprised by their own elections?

Also of note on the ten o'clock news Keunnsberg's voiceover has changed to "the Tories are adamant they have no plans to sell off the health service". Which is a significant difference in terms of balance, wonder if someone had a quick word.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is really good. Might shove this in some people's faces.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
articles like that are why I'm sad Corbyn isn't literally going to put those fuckers in a gulag on the Isle of wight

e: the rod kiddle one, but also on further thought the guardian one and probably 95% of the ones posted itt

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 31, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1190032546521858050
Hmm I wonder what he means by risky?

https://twitter.com/NHSMillion/status/1189988398968266752

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

This is really good. Might shove this in some people's faces.

Believe it or not, there were a few I found during my search (which, again, was non-exhaustive) that I decided to leave off in the broad sense of "fairness", as they were traditional Lib Dem/Tory seats that Labour had leapt into 2nd place in.

(I really left them off because anyone with half a brain would argue turnaround is fair play and Labour voters should voted Lib Dem there in the past.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Just use a bullet or a little spoon.

There's the Ugandan tabloids literally calling for death to gay people, but I figure the only reason Taki isn't doing that is cowardice.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

XMNN posted:

articles like that are why I'm sad Corbyn isn't literally going to put those fuckers in a gulag on the Isle of wight

e: the rod kiddle one, but also on further thought the guardian one and probably 95% of the ones posted itt

The Isle Of Wight is gulag enough, don't need to build one specially

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The media and establishment are gonna pull out all the stops though so it's a test of grassroots vs entrenched interests, there is international precedent for this succeeding hut its gonna be tough

This is as good a field as we're gonna get, there's a shot!

Yeah it's never gonna be easy but you're dead right. We did the quixotic charge-against-the-dragon in 2017 and surprised everyone including ourselves, and we've proved that we have stoicism in the face of bland establishment battering already, we will absolutely have to pull off a miracle here but let's not pretend we haven't done it before and that we don't have a shot.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

They were saying Boo-ris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I am surprised. I'm surprised Boris Johnson has been let near enough to actual people for it to be possible for them to boo him. I trust they won't be making the same mistake again.