Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

what the hell is going on

Stuff, man. And things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'll give you a bit of a perspective, because I'm feeling feisty. I have killed people. Not to be dramatic, but I don't give a gently caress, so I'll be honest.

I watched a man die violently before I entered 1st grade. He had raped a woman (which I unfortunately also watched) and then as he went to leave, accidentally shot himself and bled out. I had resolved at ~11 that I was going to prison, because I was going to kill my Mom's ex next time he snuck in with a KaBar. I don't mean, I thought about it, or thought it might turn violent. I was sure as poo poo that I was going to have to kill him, just as I was sure Bob Barker would remind me to spay my pet. I have killed people for the Army, and nearly killed people outside.
Just because you can have empathy, doesn't mean you are empathetic. I shot a woman low (not a purposeful thing, bad shot) and watched her fall, screaming from the gut shot. I don't feel bad for what I did. I'm sorry she died bad, alone in the street, and that her family will mourn her. I don't feel empathy at the situation/outcome. You can be a "good" person, and not feel remorse. She was more concerned with her own poo poo- she immediately tried to cover up and spin her actions. She didn't help him; she lied to attempt to cover it up; she tried to victim blame. She should suffer. If this hadn't played out as perfectly as it did, she would have walked. If he would have been just random dude, pretty white cop is going to walk. They tried to paint this poor gently caress eating Ice Cream as a criminal after his death. The fact that everything went as perfectly as it did isn't a harbinger of change in our justice system as an example of a broken clock.

If she had just went, l with a"I hosed up terribly, and I can't fix it. I take responsibility for what I did, and I'm sorry." statement, I could see finding sympathy. But gently caress her. She violated the law, her postion, the social contract, and the public trust, then accepted no real responsibility. I hope she gets nothing but cold showers and nutriloaf on a good loving day inside.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hexyflexy posted:

Where the hell did they get that fire engine from, I want to know, for.. reasons.

You can just but them, dude.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I can't say it's still the same, but when I was in the 82d, if you were in harness and on an aircraft, you exited.

Ground winds too high? Tuck and roll, bitch.

We had a JRTX that went similar to the jump in that article, with less tree landings. According to the E4 on DZ duty, they had 23 knot gusts, with a sustained wind of something not much lower. We jumped because SecArmy (or other dumb poo poo fake important person) was in the stands.
I got a concussion- I literally landed so hard I knocked myself retarded. No clue where I was, why I was in a harness, and why the guy next to me sounded like he was dying. Luckily, training had me pop my shoulder release. Guy next to me? Landed so hard he damaged the lining in his lungs according to the doc who saw him.
BN said we pulled 71 chutes from trees after the jump. SMJ didn't like that we hooked them to the tow hook and just pulled them with humvees. Same jump they told us not to bring water, because most of us were immediately getting on trucks and heading back. Heat Casualties for everyone!

82d is stupid. Airborne is stupid. Most of all, I am stupid.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hah, looks like the last time we bothered to drop paras was in Iraq, and there were already ground forces at the target. I assume someone insisted so they could pretend to be useful?

They had planned to drop a Brigade onto BIAP.

Source- on the scrubbed op.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I talked to guys on both sides of the jump- one of the dudes came to Bragg from Italy, and I did a little work with some of the SF that were with the Kurds.

The dude from the 173 said that when they landed, all the SF and locals were sitting around fires, lounging a bit and enjoying some food.

IIRC, the Airborne doctrine says to expect 30% combat incapable from the drop alone.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I always enjoyed how the Army would do everything in their power to make a trooper a heat cas, then blame them for almost dying.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Trump blocking testimony. Nothing matters yet.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/7682...jlgj86bquQQbWqY

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There were no Kurds in Saving Private Ryan, ergo, Kurds didn't help.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Jarmak posted:

They were both predators, the alien's culture revolved around hunting the universe's most dangerous predators for sport. This is not difficult nor ever taboo, it's literally the main theme of the movie, jfc.

Pretty sure it was a joke.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's loving heartbreaking what is happening to the the Kurds. I'd hate to think what I would do in their position.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

New modding tactic- roll a 20 sider. That number post on the page is now up for moderation. Flip a coin. Heads- ok. Tails- 6 hour.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but:

I assume that "we left in such a hurry that we couldn't bring our stuff out and had to blow it up instead" is probably unusual when you're not retreating, but there's probably no argument to be made that perhaps having to immediately comply with Trump's every whim is wasteful, because compared to the total amount of annual wastage by the armed forces this is nothing? I mean I would never say "oh poo poo I'm running late for my flight home, I'll just leave all my clothes in the hotel room and buy new ones when I get home" but I've heard stories about it not being a big deal when weapons go missing during exercises so I guess I'm just tight with my money :v:

Losing weapons is a pretty big deal, dude.

Someone tell the story of the crashed helo over an M9.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That dude FUCKS.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Dude's so badass he silenced the CE thread for 4 hours

Slow news day. I feel like I go through withdrawals on Weekends, mostly because I am so used to the weeks being full of insanity and chaos.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I went to school with a dude from Ranger Bat who was all about the Kurds and getting deeper into Syria...
Until Trump turned on the Kurds, then he is all about loving them over.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Someone must be keeping Trump from his Twitter.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It might be me seeing poo poo that isn't there, but it seems like most of the younger generation in Congress doesn't put up with the political doublespeak.

Also, I have a crush on AOC.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

They also didn't check to see if they could clear the bridges while it was on the train.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mowing the lawn is like free therapy.
I can get it done in an hour, hour and half, but it's going to take a 12 pack and all afternoon.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I only mow the front lawn for the kids and dogs. The back pasture I let grow long, then bushwack and watch all the birds eat the bugs I kick up.

I plan on starting my garden and an attempt at homesteading once I graduate and can actually live in the house I bought.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I want to shoot lion fish. poo poo sounds dope.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

colachute posted:

Lotta dumb people in this thread. This is the movie that matters:

Dude even went on to bust a huge drug ring at a high school. Then went back into service for more action. Twice!

Three times, IIRC- he was in 1-3, and then a later one too.

E- he did 5.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can't wait for the remake of MW2 and the 'No Russian' stage.

Anyone who says they didn't have fun in that level is a loving liar.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't think Picadilly was worse- there were bad guys causing the casualties, where as in No Russian, you were killing the innocents.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I dunno. No Russian had more of an emotional impact to me. I've seen bodies torn by explosions, and the damage car bombs caused. The level had no impact on me.

People had various complaints about
No Russian; I frequented ARFCOM at the time, and it got a bunch of threads locked.

The only FPS game to have an effect on me was a level in the old modern Medal of Honor games. There is a level where you hear people calling on the radio for help, and you can't. I've been in that position, listening to the screams over the radio, being close enough that our truck rocked and our gunner got a busted face from a chunk of tire, but mission comes first.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm guessing they did biometrics on site, DNA after return, but I'm a fat idiot on the internet.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just read his opening statement. He throws Perry by name under the bus.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MCR announced they are doing a reunion thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

My Chemical Romance?

...Is there a new album or is it just a tour?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AeNjZ3k2B3fRFmJ