Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1179040598222888962?s=19

Warren should turn this into a campaign ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

I sentence Michael Flynn to

FOUR YEARS IN GRAND RAPIDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Crakkerjakk posted:

Depends on what your theory of power is. If it's to keep fighting the same "turn out your base and hope to convince the very small 'centrists' to mostly vote for you" that the Dems have been relying on since '92, no.

If it's "advocate fiercely for policies that are broadly popular with the public and do whatever it takes to meaningfully improve people's lives to turn out the 45% of America that can vote but doesn't," then I think you'd be surprised.

The idea that what the country is looking for is moderation is not supported by the evidence, and the examples upheld ignore the actual reality. Clinton got 43% of the vote in '92 and only won because Perot was in the race. 49% in '96, against Dole, again with Perot as a spoiler. Obama won on '"hope and change" after the fantastically unpopular bush years, and then proceeded to bleed support when he tacked to the center.

If you promise to actually help people, and then once elected actually do so, I think we could see a drastically different political landscape than what the political and media class tell us is possible.

You want my most cynical take on politics?

People don't loving want policy. Policy and politics are, by and large, are things that are so far above people's heads they don't think about them even when they're directly effected by them (see also: "Keep the government out of my social security")

What people want, by and large, is for themselves and their families to feel healthy, safe, and stable. They want next tuesday to look like last tuesday, so long as last tuesday was a good day. And if they can feel that they're doing better than at least one other poor sucker, well then that's just gravy.

But if they feel that something they earned is being taken away to help out that poor sap, they'll fight like hell against it no matter how good the cause is, because the single most powerful motivating force in the human psyche is pure, raw, spite.

Lyndon Johnson and his Great Society did more for the poor and for Civil Rights than any other president in American history. His Democratic Party then fractured and split apart and allowed Richard loving Nixon to take office, in large part because of Vietnam, but also because no matter what great things Lyndon Johnson did for them, people didn't feel safe or secure—they saw riots, wars, and fear, and then turned to the man who said he would put all those uppity bastards back in their place.

So when people say that Sanders will generate tons of new voters with his policies, no, I don't believe it. And it's not because I don't like Sanders or his politics or policies, because I do, and there's a good chance I'll end up voting for him in the primary. But it's because that even if he does manage to get his proposals through Congress (Which will be difficult at best—I personally see Sanders negotiating about as well with Congress as Jimmy Carter did), will people turn out to vote? Will this create a groundswell of new support for leftist policies? Or will they continue to trickle in, not care so long as they're being fed, and disassociate the good things that government does from the people who fought for those policies?

Well, without a time machine, it's hard to say, obviously. But I can tell you who won the House and Senate in 1946, and it wasn't the party that had brought in the New Deal and won World War II.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Crakkerjakk posted:

I agree with this, but I disagree that "policy" is separate from "themselves and their families feeling healthy, safe, and stable."

Like, no one gives a poo poo about means tested tax credits for daycare accounts increasing or decreasing. People give all the shits about "you and everyone you know will be able to get medical care and not have to worry about going bankrupt because of it."

The problem is that the scope of what people (particularly the political and media class) believe is possible has narrowed to meaningless tinkering around the edges. You are 100% correct that no one really cares about that. But the Republicans in general and Trump most immediately has shown how much of "what is possible" is defined by traditions and custom as opposed to actual meaningful checks to the power to make changes.

And just like with Trump, if politicians sense that their careers depend on riding the wave of populist anger about the status quo, a whole bunch of fence sitters will go along with what they think will let them keep their jobs.

Except you cut off the next part that gives the Republicans so much success—that it is spite that motivates people to vote. People will turn out in droves to gently caress over the poor and immigrants. They won't to give healthcare to their fellow man.

This, of course, doesn't mean we shouldn't fight for good policies. But it does mean that just because we have good policies does not mean that the votes will follow. People like Harry Truman, Adlai Stephenson, George McGovern, Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore can tell you that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

Dear people who report posts:

Please don't invent your own forum rules and report people who break the rules that you invented.

Thanks,

The Management

tell us who snitched

we demand forums justice

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

It's because someone beat you to it, not because I'm a mod.

Neither, they reported someone for showing that they had Professor Bling on ignore.

incredible

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The decorated former marine will be Jacob Wohl in a wig.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Love the large caliber guns being used for AA fire.

Japan actually developed 18" AA shells for the Yamato, funnily enough. They did... not work well.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The Cleveland Show was too good for us.

... No, no it wasn't.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179832199320875008?s=19

What an age we live in

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
never forget

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Jimmy is a good human being but was a terrible President.

We could have had UHC in the '70s if not for him getting into a pissing match with Ted Kennedy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1182468483906527232?s=19

:iceburn:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Suicide Watch posted:

This will trigger the incels and will be Warren's deplorable moment

The only 'problem' with the Deplorables remark was that Hillary didn't stick with it. The campaign could have and should have gone all in on tying Trump's campaign to racism and white supremacy, highlighting the absolutely sickening array of human filth that was lining up to endorse him, and then challenged people-"If you support Trump, you might not be a deplorable person. You might be angry, confused, or scared. But look at who you're allying with-are these the kinds of people you're willing to look in the eye and vote alongside?"

But instead she and the rest of the campaign backed off and apologized, because professional campaign advisers are cowards :sigh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

Nobody should give a poo poo about the founding fathers. Once you're dead, your opinion doesn't matter.

I'll have you know that thanks to the library of congress my posting about star wars will live on for generations to come

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

SEAL worship will die down even further if they recover 49 nukes.

man this marketing campaign for the new Modern Warfare is wild

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

This is very true! Going to be the "bad, but not impeachable" line repeated over and over.

Something interesting about this that the PSA guys mentioned on the episode that went up today was that while this is realistically the only defense Republicans can offer, the problem for them is that Trump is so impossibly vain that he takes any critique as a direct attack, and will attack them back. So they're stuck in a dilemma that their 'best' defense is also the one least acceptable to the person they are trying to defend.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

dems suck rear end at this so much holy gently caress they let bush and some loving how TRUMP convince america that they had a connection with anyone that earned under 300k a year

edit I've made this exact same post I feel like 20 times but god drat literally all they need is some union guy to run for a seat in the lower house and have him talk about how x plan will help the workers while wearing a flannel shirt and hard hat

They tried that, it was Randy Bryce and I wish like hell he'd won against Paul Ryan. But unfortunately no matter the message and messenger there are still a huge number of people that it is almost impossible to convince not to vote against their own best interests.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Don’t forget Japan allying with China and India, developing a secret nuke program, then invading Guam, because an unsafe Japan made car crashed in Tennessee.

Man the later Clancy books were such a wild ride. Man just didn't know what to do after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My fiancée (soon to be wife in a few hours hooooly poo poo lol) says her backup plan if her career goes to poo poo is to open a restaurant where all the dishes are based around invasive species. Lionfish sorbet anyone?

Congrats man!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lmao apparently trump was golfing while the raid took place and the photo they have of the situation room or w/e was staged 90m later

You can tell that he wanted his own version of Obama's situation room photo and it's honestly just pathetic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i havent watched the last few episodes of adventure time bc i dont want it to end

You're in luck then, it's coming back on HBO Max with four hour-long specials.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stravag posted:

Edit: i also tried parks and rec and just didnt care to keep going 2 episodes in

Start Parks and Rec with Season 2. Season 1 isn't that great, but Season 2 starts strong and keeps the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

EBB posted:

hey the reagan library might burn down and that's pretty loving rad

Not really, we'd lose a ton of documentation of Reagan's crimes.