Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Oh jesus, thank you for that :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

BigDave posted:

:stare: I saw that going completely differently.

Me too. It turns out that people care when you outright go and murder someone.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

Hong Kong situation not improving, the police have shot a teenage protester.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49891403

Oh poo poo. That's going to shuft the protests to the next phase.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

I want your dog! In a nice way :D

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

That.. isn't how that works.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The Doomsday Economics thread has some good coming recession discussion, right now it's a blow by blow of the WeWork dumpster fire:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826121&pagenumber=1671&perpage=40

I can give anyone some useful life advice, never, ever, work for some startup in silicon valley. They're all insane, I did it contracting from the UK for 2 years and jesus, you can feel palpably how the entire system is going to implode. I'm now happily designing actual physical things with a company that isn't going to evaporate 5 seconds after I stop paying attention.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Bernie was hospitalized yesterday for an artery blockage, and has cancelled campaign events until further notice.

In 2019 I'm not even sightly worried about that. Thanks medical technology, you're pretty loving awesome.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Just incase you forgot, it's still infrastructure week

It's always infrastructure week. For ever and ever.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Died 3 times eh?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Crakkerjakk posted:

There were 56 Democrats in the senate when Nixon resigned. And yeah, people who vote republican will keep voting republican, but individual republican senators are probably far more worried about getting primaried from the right if they sign onto impeaching Trump.

Your power system isn't a hell of a lot different to ours in the UK, 40% of people will always vote for the bastard, that's just life. Trump is a weirdo, he's so loving broken he may well all of a sudden cause some of those people to not vote. Bit like our Borris Johnson.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

EBB posted:

It's a CNN article and I'm not linking that garbage fire, but a climate activism group called Extinction Rebellion sprayed 1800 liters of fake blood on the UK Ministry of Finance. Happy October! :spooky:

Where the hell did they get that fire engine from, I want to know, for.. reasons.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

EBB posted:

One day in the not too distant future somebody at the FSB is going to get fed up with Putin and he's gonna have a "heart attack".

Story time: When I was 17 the BBC wanted to do a live telecast where you could ask Putin questions on the internet, I think it was the first live Q&A internet thing like that ever. I bunked off college with my sister, set up our 56k modem so we could dial into the thing and watched it. He got through 3 questions, me and my sisters was number four. Which still pisses me off.

Ever since I've basically read every book on the guy, it's a personal thing. He's a total loving coward, and he's going to get shot by someone at some point. His only special skill is getting people to not shoot him.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Electron Interference is really complex. Oh. No, Trump, no. Please stop talking.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

So I know a coherent answer is almost certainly off the table but what exactly is Trump suggesting Trump and Son did?

e: I meant Biden but you know what, I'll let it stand.

I think, at least this was last week's Trump news that Biden's son had tried to get the Ukrainians to give him some classified info on stuff they'd dug up about Trump before the last election, on the orders of the democrats. It's exactly as loving insane as it sounds and I feel stupider for typing it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

At this point Donny's tax returns could be like opening the Ark of the Covenant of financial crime, or they could be something so mundane as he hasn't had more than $100 million in liquid assets in thirty years while still being rich as poo poo. His profound idiocy and narcissism make it a pretty even split between the two.

Like any good physics problem, the answer to that will be zero.

e: Also, there've been so many Trump posts tonight I think we're all going slightly bloody mad.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 4, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Congratulations, as much as I try to ignore the news for my health's sake, that's got me loving furious.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

That Works posted:

Tough call but I think the drag out, get more documents approach lets you run the tables on putting more people in jail (inshallah) after impeachment is over.

Just bear in mind there've been a shitload of people in the administration who've been prosecuted. Which is.. nuts. This is 5 aides. That is not loving normal.

I can barely remember wtf George Papadopoulos was.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Everyone involved in moron-contra is a moron, so obviously even the morons on the edges are dealing with morons, plus not realizing that the other morons are lying to them. One of the morons is the President, another is a dumb gently caress senator, and they just narced on the sycophant ambassador to the EU, who also happens to be a moron.

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1180174953532002304?s=19

They revealed all this to the WSJ, thinking it made them look better.

I'm stealing moron-contra, it's too apt a description.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

Just balkanize already, I'm sick of these people

We're on 18 pages of thread after 4 days.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

BigDave posted:

Oh are we allowed to post images of horror from beyond sanity?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Omellete MRE main course. I guarantee however bad you're thinking it is you need to go further. It was an astonishingly horrible "food".

I've read a lot of reports from soldiers on exactly how bad that thing is, I'd almost consider it a form of torture to feed that thing to people.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1180955730557452289?s=21

Americans typically go easy on presidents post-tenure but it’s fuckin’ wild that people are liking W more and more instead of the opposite.

It's because he wasn't really the problem, he was a dumbass bastard but not the prime mover. That was Rumsfeld and Cheney. Dick Cheney is a man that's so evil, despite him being in power 20 years ago I still can't understand what in the name of hell he wanted to do.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

What a chickenshit take on the presidency and the power of a president or candidate to choose those around them.

I didn't say I was a fan of the bastard

e: I didn't mean what I think you felt, GWB was an awful president, probably the worst one over my lifetime, not just a bit bad, there's a whole load of my friends who had to go into the military because they couldn't afford to live otherwise and got the living gently caress kicked out of them. He wasn't the worst bit of that government though, the people around him were worse.

ee: I'll never forgive him for that.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 7, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Oh loving great, well that was quick.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

"loving reckless child." is all my brain can muster.

He's managed to start a war in under 24 hours, by accident, mallice, stupidity all of the above. That shouldn't be loving possible.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Have a moment of levity in this terrible hosed up day:

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1181306171417939970

Some kid has just done the best hack of their life. Good luck kid, I avoided getting arrested for doing dumb computer stuff by total fluke.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It owns so loving much that this administration is going to get away with literal, provable crimes because the system that would hold them accountable is based entirely on people politely following the rules.

I'm 99% certain that if Trump loses in 2020, he can just say "nah" and everyone will shrug and accept it.

The small fry keep getting arrested and prosecuted, I have almost zero faith the big bastard will, but don't forget all the stuff lodged in New York, they loving hate him and I think they might grab him when he isn't in power anymore.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Is Trump just doing the presidential equivalent of running down a grocery store aisle with his arm in a shelf, knocking everything over? He seems to have gotten particularly unhinged as of late

He's insane, it's the best way to think about him. He hates everyone that isn't him but isn't capable of doing anything about it apart from making GBS threads himself in the middle of the street and shouting "That's your fault! See, you made me poo poo myself!".

I've dealt with a few nutters like that over my life, there's gently caress all you can do with them because they will never understand when you say to them "Mate.. what if you.. didn't poo poo yourself in the street".

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Reagan was a traitor idiot who hosed this country up bad, but every once in a while it's fun to whap Republican losers upside the head with his corpse to show them how far they've fallen.

Reagan was terrifying, when I was a kid in the UK in the 80s, we all genuinely thought he was going to blow up the planet. You know that Reagan halloween mask, the one everyone had, if I wore it now I'd probably give someone a heart attack from the PTSD from back then.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

When your OCD gets the better of you.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

So Russia played Donnie like a loving fiddle in reasserting Assad's control

It isn't like this doesn't keep happening repeatedly to him. Can anyone remember North Korea? It's almost so long ago in Trump time my mind has just wiped it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

And absolutely all of it was avoidable if Donnie Brainstem just shut up and kept his token force where they were. A massive humanitarian crisis in the works because Donnie got rolled by a half-assed dictator of a NATO country that probably shouldn't be in NATO anymore.

It's almost broken my head. Normally when we use the word "unilaterally" in politics we mean a group, e.g. "Bolivia has unilaterally decided to do X", or "In argument between government Y and two unions, one union decided to act unilaterally thereby screwing over the other one".

In this case Trump, one man, did a tweet that unilaterally caused a war. The Pentagon hadn't got a loving clue he was going to do it. Nobody had a clue he was going to do it. I don't he knew he was going to do it because I will not dein the thought that the man has any forethought at all.

I've played with magpies in my garden that think ahead further than that, yanno, I can play games with them.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Stravag posted:

Magpies are dope. They understand trade.

Got a bag of coloured bottle tops and some coloured rubber bands that confirms that.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well poo poo, that's a broken clock statement if there ever was one. You and us both.

Imagine being external security of any country, and your only data on US intentions were Trump tweets.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

McNally posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1186115176908517376

~63 million Americans voted for that. I can't say poo poo, my country might be on fire by the end of today, or the Queen might James Bond the Prime Minister out. Who knows! I bloody don't.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

There was a twitter joke running around that those two women astronauts made history by being the first women far enough away from Donald Trump that it was probably safe for them.

Low earth orbit isn't far enough.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The security around those nukes is ridiculous. And the best part? Even if somehow all the security measures to keep the weapons out of the wrong hands fails, the bombs are completely useless without the codes. The codes that are in the football that travels with POTUS.

The more head loving thing is trump talking about being willing to start shooting Turkey, a NATO ally, if he needs to.

Putin had to be loving thrilled to hear that tidbit.

I have no doubt that Erdogan couldn't do poo poo with them, if they even tried you'd land half the marines on their head. I'm not worried about that, I'm worried that Erdogan even thought it was a reasonable thing to do to threaten their integrity, it's well up there with the dumbest, most short sighted political things I've seen even evil bastard dictators do over my life.

How do you go from 0 to WAR in 60 seconds? Err, that basically.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

The idea that PALs would stop a state level actor from making functional weapons out of 50 B61s worth of weapons grade fissile material is laughable on its face. Even if they have to detonate the chemical explosives in a blast chamber and recover what's left it's still an engineering problem and a massive shortcut around building an enrichment program.

Yeh that's true, but it isn't what I'm worried about. If you gave a bunch of us goons a chunk of plutonium we could probably build a fairly crappy nuke, the physics isn't that hard in the scheme of things. It's the threat - "do what we want or we're going to grab these B61s off you and what're you going to do about it?".

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Uh, yes it is. Do you have any idea how precisely that poo poo has to be machined, or what plutonium likes to do while being machined, not to mention how spot-on the explosives have to be to trigger it? Get it wrong and it wont work, full stop.

For a fusion bomb yes, the timing is down to fractions of a nanosecond, for an atom bomb not so much, we did it in the 40s, that's 75 years ago. Plutionium having different allotropes is the first bit of material science I read that scared the poo poo out of me, heat it up a bit much when you're machining it, the crystaline structure changes and you can be turbo hosed if it suddenly decides to increase density.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Appropriate:

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/884798748152483840?lang=en