Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have suggestions of books similar to The Lies of Locke Lamora? I'm not sure what about it, maybe it's just the heist aspect because I also liked the Great Train Robbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

XBenedict posted:

The other Gentleman Bastards books?

Haha yeah sorry should have said I read those already.

Mistborn seems right up my alley and I like Sanderson

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

When does the Black Company become bad? I'm finishing up book 2 and will get book 3, but is that a good place to stop?

Just keep reading until you stop liking it. Or keep reading and finish it if you like the characters.

The first three books are pretty self contained

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kesper North posted:

And glancing at your rap sheet and posting history is making me proud to have embarrassed you, friend. Goonspeed.

Having to delve into someone's rap sheet because they posted a mean thing about you is very interesting

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Like 3/4ths of Dunsany's books are public domain and available online with an easy search. There are good editions of two of them here: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks?query=dunsany

Another thing I really love about Dunsany:

He's not following any pattern. Idle Days on the Yann especially just violates every supposed "rule" of storytelling there is. There's no beginning, no end, not really, you just get a chunk of story, like a random chapter excerpted from some un-recorded whole. There's no real conflict, just a series of scenes. There's no plot and little suspense.

Just some characters drifting through scenery.

And that's all you need.

Ah, so he wrote a slice of life manga

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I liked spin quite a bit but haven't read the two other books yet

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lagoon is good

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I am permabanned poster Apparatchik Magnet. i first started reading the Science Fiction & Fantasy Megathread when my girlfriend was about 12. by the time she was 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "Age of consent" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "My boredom and bemusement with those emotional irrational women is at this point shared by quite a few people who have posted" and "I’m trying to figure out what “underage” means" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing Chris Hansen in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on permanent house arrest. i always wondered what the kind of "I'm really just concerned for 15 year olds having sex with each other" style of advocating for ephobophilia was all about; i think it's my unconscious leaking in to my conscious, what jungian theory considered to be - and isn't it funny that 'jung' kind of sounds like '''young?''' i would advise all people who "get" libertarianism to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

:bravo:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Are you a Shivan superjuggernaught named Naruto

I was namechanged in one of the gbs 'post here to have your name changed' threads years ago.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Reading the news stories about that just makes me ... So tired.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Goodreads doesn't really operate on a 5 or 0 ranking imo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I liked the sword of truth books as a teen

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was a fan of the wheel of time ones, though they're not all actually dreams

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I picked up "This is how you lose the time war" on the suggestion of this thread and finished reading it in one sitting, hours later. This book is incredible

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So the Cradle books are pretty dumb but fun. It's like eastern martial arts mixed with DragonBall Z.

Cultivation is real and my friend.

I have no idea about if those books are about that but I think they're on my kindle so I'll have to read them now

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

I recall we'd talked a couple weeks ago about fantasy with gay male protags, and I just read one that was pretty good. White Trash Warlock by David Slayton is the first in a series. The main character is Adam Binder, a witch from Guthrie, OK who heads out to help his estranged brother. When he gets out to Denver the city has a giant malevolent spirit hanging over it. Obviously Adam needs to fix this. Slayton says he based the character on his own experiences growing up gay in Guthrie, OK. The main plot of this one wraps up, though there's obvious hooks for a sequel (due out in October). I found it to be good, very readable. I got through it faster than expected. I enjoyed the working class protagonist, and being set in Denver, felt like a pretty decent take on the urban fantasy.

bought it on this rec, sounds good

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Groke posted:

Y'all do realize "Parker" is actually Tom Holt, yes? (A revelation that stll blows my mind.) And had an established writing career for a decade before this came out.

(Dude sure likes to use variations of Roman or Byzantine history in his fantasy. Does it a lot.)

I read it as him saying it was the first book by holt as Parker and the story he always wanted to write when he started writing

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Black company is one of my all time favorites but I'd recommend that after book three or four you implement dune rules

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh and for the love of god, skip Port of Shadows.

Though I like some of the later books

Didn't know that port of shadows was a thing tbh.

And yeah I read the whole story and finished it but some of the Sleepy parts... Sheeesh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey thread, the first Baru in audiobook form is on sale for five bucks, https://www.chirpbooks.com/audiobooks/the-traitor-baru-cormorant-by-seth-dickinson

As well as some others, such as the first two Malazan books for $2 and $3 here https://www.chirpbooks.com/authors/steven-erikson-audiobooks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Quorum posted:

I had the same experience, which is a pity because I'm also in the wonderful and poorly-compensated world of archaeology and zombie Neanderthals with magic flintknapped swords ought to be my poo poo. :( Something about the structure of the series, probably the billions of characters and the refusal to stick with a particular set of them for longer than a book at a time, is just hell on my brain.

Maybe that's why I liked them so much, it really reminds me of reading about various periods of history. Of course there are a whole new cast of characters on a different continent.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I assume because it's interesting

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I loved the bells

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually like the sfl copy paste but maybe it's own thread idk.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kraps posted:

Is Axiom's End by Ellis good? She has a sequel coming out.

Fwiw I checked it out from the library and returned it a week later unread. The first couple of pages feature high school essay level writing which is fine sometimes but I bounced off this one.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Finished the Two of Swords by KJ Parker. I actually liked how it ended, and the main conceit of the story being told from a bunch of different pov early on was cool. Of course it necessarily narrowed down the pov later.

Now on to Between Two Fires

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You could try Malazan and see if you like the writing.

Or Black Company for 'morally ambiguous mercenaries end up working for Satan'

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Khizan posted:

I picked up the first Commonweal book after the talk about it in the thread. I quite liked the first one. Had a real Black Company vibe to it, the whole 'scrappy undersized company suddenly paired with legendary ancient terrors".

The second is like, uh, lovely wizard homeschooling? I couldn't put the first one down but I'm sort of bouncing off of the second.

I loved the black company so I'm gonna start the first Commonweal book then

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just finished the first one and liked it fairly well. It does very much have the feeling of the black company, but I'm not sure I like the writing a ton. Regardless it's interesting enough for me to pick up the second one

Edit:it's funny that people keep sniping that it's Graydon and his fifteen alts promoting his books. If Larry is a Graydon alt then I guess I'm a fan

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Lol, of course Larry thinks caring about ableism is "baby-brained."

It's a fantasy book and the people calling glokta a cripple are generally outdone by... Glokta. Idk

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

pradmer posted:

Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087GJ5WI/

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

First book is excellent and what STALKER was based off of, second book is a standard 'aliens come to earth' that is still pretty good, though I'm sure it was a lot more interesting when it came out

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually liked seveneyes until the weird decision where the last third was fanfiction

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Uhhh, how can he write fanfiction of his own book?

:iiam:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

bovis posted:

Read through the first 4 Malazan books over the past month. I had first attempted the series 5 or so years ago and for some reason gave up 3/4 of the way through the 4th on so I'm finally ahead of my last attempt!

Really enjoying them a lot. Think coming back to them after so long gave me a clearer view and makes me appreciate them more. Looking forward to starting something completely new with the 5th, hope I'll be able to wrap my mind around all the new characters :D

The Chain of Dogs was so loving good

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I still liked it because Dark Forest is an interesting idea and 3bp explored that some

And most of the time I don't even notice bad writing, or can get past it. I think the only books I've had to put down in the last couple of years because they're offensively bad was the Lindsay Ellis book (axioms edge?) and ready player one

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 3, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I do the same thing and yeah kind of half skip paragraphs that don't look like they have a lot of important information. It's just how I've always read, I remember being a speed reader as far back as when I was a kid

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I haven't stopped raving about between two fires to all my friends tbh. One of them will eventually read it if I pester enough...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

I just read the first chapter of the first Commonweal book...and it was like I was having a stoke. The words were English words and some of them had meaning, but none of them connected in any meaningful way. I've read and enjoyed A Clockwork Orange and Anathem, but this was like taking all the Asperger's in the world and mixing it with high fantasy Capital Names. Surely there was a better way to introduce the book (unless bafflement was the desired effect).

It starts with unattributed dialog from a PoV that doesn't become semi-evident until the chapter is basically over. There's no setting, no description, no blocking, just exposition and colored commentary on the exposition.

It reads like something I'd find in a undergrad creative writing course. Unless these choices are intentional? I wouldn't bother reading any more, but the premise in the thread sounded cool.

Have you uh, never read anything unfamiliar before? It throws you into the middle and you figure it out while you go. Malazan is another series people get mad at for this tbh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

So apparently every year this guy on Reddit organizes a huge two-day book sale for charity (don't ask me details, I just found out about it this morning lol). This year it's 400 sci-fi/fantasy e-books for 0.99$ each, with the proceeds going to St. Judes. If you've got reddit, here's the direct post, but if you don't wanna go there here's the google doc spreadsheet with everything (and links to the non-US Amazon pages). There's some good stuff on there, and A LOT of stuff I've never heard of, but I figure for a buck a book you can't really go wrong.

It seems like a ton of these litrpg books feature army people as characters or were written by veterans. I wonder if it's bc the linear advancement of a litrpg is similar to how the up the ranks hierarchy works in the army. (half my family were army)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Tolkien and Jordan are any example, it's because veterans tend to have shitloads of trauma to work through and so they sometimes do it by writing.

Yeah maybe just noticed it because I went through the books on sale and looked at the authors all at once.