Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

It's almost time for another SFL archives update post(hit 75% completion in SFL archives Volume 10), but I have to ask.

Should I continue posting SFL-Archives summaries in this thread? I've gotten zero feedback on them and why keep mentioning poo poo no-one cares about?
I'm reading them and enjoying them, I just say almost nothing anywhere ever. So I say keep going, because mentioning poo poo no-one cares about for people who care about it anyways is what the internet should be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently, Terry Goodkind passed.

awesmoe posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken’s head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. “Shoo,” Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn’t enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn’t tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn’t need to see it. “Dear spirits, help me,” she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn’t. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.
"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.
"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"
"Stop the hate! Stop the hate!" the people chanted as they locked arms.
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.
"Move!" Richard called as he bore down on the people.
A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"
"Move or die!" Richard yelled as he picked up speed.
The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"
On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.
At the realization that their defense of the Imperial Order's brutality would actually result in consequences to themselves, the crowd began scattering in fright, screaming curses back at Richard and his men.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Terry Goodkind posted:

First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

graventy posted:

Oh god that's from book 8 isn't it. I have never read a book in my entire life that was more boot-strappy. Richard was for some reason a peasant but took a second job and invested wisely and becomes a superman again all through his own power. Inspirational stuff.
No, you're thinking of Faith of the Fallen, where after objectivist-man bootstraps himself into prominence he singlehandedly triggers a massive revolt against the evil soviet empire by making the sexiest statue ever. The protestor massacre is from Naked Empire, the one where they visit a land of STUPID, PACIFIST SHEEPLE WHO ROLL RIGHT OVER FOR THE BAD GUYS and he effortlessly debunks their IDIOTIC, WEAK PHILOSOPHY and then there are GULLIBLE, TERRORIST-AIDING PROTESTORS between them and their goals and they well, you saw it.
Naked Empire was published in 2003. The Pillars of Creation, the prior book, is:

Terry Goodkind posted:

Dedicated to the people in the United States Intelligence Community who, for decades, have valiantly fought to preserve life and liberty, while being ridiculed, condemned, demonized, and shackled by the jackals of evil.

genericnick posted:

We had some good times. I think the ASIOF forum had something like 50 threads writing parodies.
I remember one comment from there about this particular...situation: "that's the problem with hatred of moral clarity: it takes too long to reload to be an effective melee weapon."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Carrier posted:

Wikipedia description of GranBretan:

quote:

The "terrifying ancient gods of Granbretan who were said to have ruled the land before the Tragic Millennium" are based on The Beatles: Jhone, Jhorg, Phowl and Rhunga.

Yet other gods from the "tragic millennium" are based on 20th Century British Prime Ministers (Chirshil, the Howling God (Winston Churchill) and Aral Vilsn, the Roaring God (Harold Wilson), Supreme God) or writers: Bjrin Adass, the Singing God (Brian Aldiss); Jeajee Blad, the Groaning God (J. G. Ballard); Jh'Im Slas, the Weeping God (James Sallis).

"Aral Vilsn, the Roaring God" is the "father of Skvese ("credit squeeze") and Blansacredid ("balance of credit") the gods of Doom and Chaos", named after economic terms of the period when the books were written.
:allears:
Gotta respect the utter lack of fucks displayed here, and now I'm sort of vexed with myself for reading those books when I was like twelve instead of when I might've stood a chance of noticing this sort of thing.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kchama posted:

I'm not sure how you even map a story to Crusader Kings which has no real coherent narrative. It's like saying your story maps 1:1 with Civilization 2.
Vanilla Civ 2 or one of the engagingly hosed-up scenarios where you're playing as teddy bears or post-apocalyptic mutants or Jules Verne fiction or dinosaurs or something?
edit:

General Battuta posted:

I would be pissed off if I had any pride or positive emotional investment in my work still left in this drifting cnidarian bloatage of a brain :negative:
I'm sorry to report that you're a good writer and thus incredibly incorrect about yourself being garbage :v:

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 22, 2020

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Phobeste posted:

Yeah what the book is is good but unfortunately I can't get past what I thought it would be. Oh well
I got the trilogy in a single volume and ended up with similar emotions (well, maybe not the endpoint of 'is good'). There was a very cool novella about sci-fi far-future salmon ecological restoration here, but it was buried alive inside three big political thrillers.
(full trilogy spoilers) And I've got to say, (1) it's not actually playing with reader expectations to have the secretive-and-seemingly-evil-aliens* turn out to be super evil after all; and (2) after spending the entire series trying to stop the preemptive genocide of a species possessing a hugely dangerous biological life cycle because goddamnit there has to be a better way!, dealing with said secretive-and-super-evil-aliens by genociding them all because 'eh, they're all assholes and inimical to life or something, problem heroically solved!' came off as decidedly lazy and hosed up.

*seriously their scout drones made evil noises and left evil slime trails and they had TENTACLES. All they needed was a hive mind lacking understanding of the concept of individuality and we've got a full bingo

edit: and now that I'm looking up stuff online I'm being reminded about things that I disliked at the time but had completely forgotten, like the unending and desperate attempts to give the main character gradeschool-level chemistry with secret agent guy when she seemed to be at 100/10 gals-bein'-pals with her VERY GOOD FRIEND, THAT IS ALL, JUST MY BEST FRIEND from the first page they interacted, even before said best friend got Princess Peach'd by super evil aliens and she vowed to go Marioing for her. Maybe it would've taken more than just added ecological restoration and fewer gunfights/spaceships to make me like this trilogy.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 28, 2020

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

If we're talking about this again, I was never a fan of the vampires in Blindsight because nothing about them made sense, I didn't appreciate their 'hey autistic people are a broken expression of dormant predatory traits!' origin, and seriously literally nothing about them made a gram of sense biologically or ecologically. They were the nessie-is-a-plesiosaur of hard science fiction concepts: making a myth 'realistic' in a way that's even less plausible than its original form*.
Then I read the first Rifters book and the guy from the surface who comes downstairs to monitor the underwater workers privately nicknames them 'vampires' in his head and is constantly experiencing ~primal spooks~ from how pale and silent and menacingly otherworldy they are to his frail human sensibilities and I liked Blindsight's vampires even less in hindsight because now they felt like the author jerking off.
And this is probably why people end up talking about them so much relative to the rest of the book or its sequel: they're such an outlandish concept - even in a book full of them - that you end up either feeling they're really neat or really stupid.

*I would unironically find 'evil magic made this corpse (or melon, or gourd) animate and thirst for human blood' more believable than 'there was once a pathologically solitary Homo species that was dietarily compelled to kill and eat other (hypersocial, probably armed) humans or die and it was very successful and good at doing this until humans invented distinct right angles, something that definitely never ever previously existed.' I've said this before, but it's like making a lovely tiger and giving it a koala's picky eating habits. You don't need to invent a secret brain glitch to explain why that wasn't a viable ecological niche.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2020

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Technically, you just proved them correct! Boy do you have egg in your face now I bet
It's THIRTY years in the future now :smug:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering chair; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I slouch at thee; for hate’s sake I rest my rear end upon thee. Sink all cushions and all blankets to one common nap! and since neither can be mine, let me then doze to pieces, while still using thee, though tied to thee, thou damned chair! Thus, I put up my feet!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

For some reason, the way Calvin is holding the toy train higher than the airplane in that last panel has always stuck with me, probably because that sort of thing is something I absolutely would've done myself at the age I was reading it for the first time. One toy starts high and goes lower, the other starts low and goes higher, woah now my train is farther in the air than my airplane this is so BADASS.

General Battuta posted:

There actually were trains in the original short story. I took them out because, uh, I dunno. It might've been kind of cool. Maybe I thought it was too steampunk? Or too Bas-lag?
If nothing else the sheer amount of very small colonized islands the story passes through would seem to make trains a little out of place for a lot of it, but that's 100% my brain's gut reaction rather than anything based in actual knowledge.

General Battuta posted:

I think the problem with ending at Book 3 is you end up with the 'answer' to the series being and then Baru ended colonialism with the power of friendship and it's totally great to use the master's tools to disassemble the master's house, works like a charm, don't kick up a fuss or do anything too radical, just collaborate and try to reform the system from within, it takes a reform like no problem. Which I think...misses the problem of empire, a bit; it's not about a secret cabal planning the conquest of the world; it's about these vast stupid greedy processes which resist change specifically because they are producing huge gushing geysers of wealth for the colonisers. Trim is a lovely idea, and in some sense trim did exist in our real world because there was a general recognition that colonisation was a violation of fundamental human dignity, but that wasn't enough to actually stop colonialism until a huge amount of suffering had been inflicted.

After three books of agonising over "can you play the game from inside without being compromised and becoming what you hate?" I think it'd be sort of cowardly to end on an unqualified "Yeah!!!"
Related to this, your riddle from book 2 ('you're at a dinner with several state officials, their meals were poisoned, you have the antidote, they all threaten or bribe you, who has the most power?' whoever set up and defined this entire scenario without being included in its bounds) casually and instantly became my favourite explanation of hegemony, so I'm pretty confident in your ability to do all of this.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

re: seveneves. I cooled on Stephenson a lot faster and earlier than this (Cryptonomicon and Anathem annoyed me constantly; there's this endless smug assuredness he drips everywhere), but 'what if we all sat down and decided to work way too hard to make racism incredibly true and real and then both this and our society's fabric didn't really change in any form for literally thousands of years?' felt egregious as hell even for him.

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's the most delightful cat wizard thing I think I've read in a long time. Gosh I should find and read that book.

(does she kill off a character at the end of To Visit the Queen though)
I mean it's a Diane Duane wizard book so I'm going to say yes absolutely even though I can't remember in the slightest.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kesper North posted:

FALLEN ANGELS is like if Rush Limbaugh went to science fiction conventions and was mad about cancel culture in the mid-90s, what an insane book. Almost prescient in its wrongness, everything in the book is the opposite of true.
I'm... what's the word for 'didn't know this, but definitely not surprised by it'? I knew it had the 'actually global warming is keeping us from freezing to death in an ice age' :smug: shtick already, and then the rest is just the author's names.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I stabbed Morgoth
'Till he fed me his shoe.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

Other than that, the popularity of Xena Warrior Princess and the gasp *lesbian friendly* overtones in it are confusing some people. Haven't seen the chud who hated on Octavia Butler commenting on Xena yet, but have seen what appears to be David Mitchell, the future semi-notable SFF author, critiquing how terribly put together (and written) Neal Stephenson's DIAMOND AGE is.
Awww yeah share that sweet Stephenson dirt.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

id rather die than read about the star wars movies anymore
Can you please tell me the Science Fiction & Fantasy Mega-story behind your avatar. It's very nice.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Damned straight. Thank you.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

neongrey posted:

Four total. I disagree about the quality dropping but with how the series goes off the rails I'm also not going to really fight for it in that sense.

I feel like the best way to describe the series as a whole is as about struggling with toxic masculinity while also being deeply, deeply poisoned by it, and that's something that makes them hard to recommend to a lot of people. They are very frustrated books, I think.

Now I just wanna reread em all with an eye to how I've got a different view of my own gender since the first time I read them...
Any chance you could elaborate on this if you feel like it (no obligation)? I only read the first one, and that was a million years ago, but I'm curious for more details.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ulmont posted:

Basically (mild Caine’s Law spoilers) it’s the tension between Caine’s persona in different contexts: it works well in the fantasy world but fails tremendously in the real one. Caine trying to deal with that and forge a health path forward for both worlds is the main through line. I say this without doing a recent reread though, which I probably should do.
Ah, I get it. I misread you - thought you meant the SERIES ITSELF was trying to critique toxic masculinity while being poisoned by it. This is a lot more straightforward.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ulmont posted:

You misread me again - I’m not the OP, just someone else who enjoyed the series. :)
drat my hasty, tiny little brain.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Honestly, I'd compare a dragon more to an A-10. Big and lumbering in the air, but devastating to targets on the ground.

And if y'all want tech vs fantasy magic, Gate is right there, assuming you can get past the anime-ness of it.
Isn't that the right-wing one about Superior Japanese Armies And Society Owning loving Idiot Backwards Primitives or am I thinking of something else?

neongrey posted:

sorry about leaving you hanging for so very very long because it took a while for me to figure out how to articulate this in my head.

But basically the way I see it is that Acts of Caine as a series is about coming to a place of pure and wholesome love after a lifetime where being a man and doing the masculine and engaging in the bad cultural aspects of masculinity and the places that takes you and all of that has completely destroyed his life. However, because of this, and because I think it's clearly the author's exploration of this personally as well, it's got to indulge in basically every lovely bit of it along the way; it's a necessary part of the ultimate healing process. The absolute end of the series is warm and affirming and beautiful, but most of the series is indulging in that masculine total destruction. As a person who has had to explictly ask themself why they are not a (trans) man, this is an incredibly powerful read for me.

The specific thoughts I have re mentioning toxic masculinity are in a lot of ways inspired from having once scrolled through the goodreads reviews page for Heroes Die and seeing the word 'testosterone' more times than I ever have in my fuckin life (and again, like, transmasculine here!!) and just draging that thread out from there.

Unrelatedly Blade of Tyshalle is some really interesting disability ownvoices (before ownvoices was known as a concept) just because Stover specifically had similar injuries as to Caine and had to himself relearn his own body.
Apologies for the minimal commentary; I asked an open-ended question and got a very comprehensive and personal answer, so all I can say is: thank you very, very much for this.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The webcomics thread crew posted up a little something that reminded me an awful lot of far too many sci fi authors I read as a teenager.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

DurianGray posted:

Exactly how I ended up reading a YA novel about a Chinese kid who ended up emigrating to 1800s America and being more or less forced to work on the deadliest portions of the intercontinental railroad. It was a good book (or at least one that stuck with me) and I learned a lot about historical horrors! But there were no loving dragons and I wanted dragons!
Oh hey was this you too? Around age 8-10 I was trying to read Laurence Yep's Dragon of the Lost Sea series and was similarly bamboozled by this dragon-but-no-dragons titling.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Drakyn posted:

Oh hey was this you too? Around age 8-10 I was trying to read Laurence Yep's Dragon of the Lost Sea series and was similarly bamboozled by this dragon-but-no-dragons titling.
Dude, I'm pretty sure that's the book I read in elementary that I couldn't remember the name of forever. I just remember a kid and a dragon walking across a salt desert.
You are correct! They were quite good, from what I remember - even if the very first book I managed to read in the series was also the final one. Not exactly the first time I'd made that mistake anyways.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

DurianGray posted:

Oh my god, yes! It was Dragon's Gate! I've never been able to remember the title off hand, but that's definitely it!
No problem, and I'm now hoping the karmic feedback from this lets me finally rediscover the name of a children's book* I read when I was 4-6ish.

*No illustrations, probably not much over or under a hundred pages, some ?siblings? on holiday at a ?cottage? ?on an island? with their ?aunt and uncle? and they find weird scavenger-hunt clues left around the island by the older relatives' ?brother? who was some sort of weird hermit back in the day. I think one clue partway through was in a hollowed-out tree in the middle of the woods and the one thing I know for SURE is that the entire chain of hints ends up leading them to the recluse's secret room hidden in the house itself.
it is neither science fiction nor fantasy

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 8, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I read some of those years later and didn't make any connection, but it very well could be - that's the problem with the damned thing; it was so early on that I have very, very limited memories of reading it and the ones I DO have are garbled due to being a psychopathic little alien gremlin at the time.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Danhenge posted:

The siblings with the aunt and uncle is what makes me think boxcar kids. There are definitely many structural similarities but the siblings plus aunt and uncle was the unusual part.

Edit: is it The Lighthouse Mystery?
Afraid not - I actually checked a lot of synopses after you guys brought them up and although nothing quite seemed to fit, at the very least I can definitely confirm there were no lighthouses or plankton-researchingmaniacs. And for the record, anything I put in ? ?s was a detail that could be something different than what I recall it being because. You know. Tiny brain careening off the walls of fiction for the first time.

Also in looking this stuff up I rediscovered that the boxcar children's grandfather was like 40x more obscenely rich than I recalled him being so the series is technically fantasy after book 1, it's just the fantasy of 'oh what a lovely house grandfather' 'haha yes, shall i buy it for us?' 'please!' 'very well, onto the pile with it!'

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hobnob posted:

There's a dedicated book identifying thread (all genres) if you want to get more eyes on it.
Thank you, I've done so.

Gone-away-Lake I read some years later when my brain was fully operational. I don't THINK it's 'Spiderweb for Two' either, based on what I've read. Apologies for the offtopicking.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

pradmer posted:

In that vein, does anyone have any recommendations for books with journeys through weird and alien settings. The best examples I can think of are Cugel's Saga by Jack Vance and Kameron Hurley's The Stars Are Legion when they're traveling through the inside of the world. Not so much Arthur Clarke's Rendezvous at Rama because I found that pretty sterile.
If you want to go a ways back you could give Journey to the Center of the Earth a try (and once you've read it, you can see its fingerprints everywhere) - and 40,000 Leagues Under the Sea*, which is a little bit less 300% fantasized and has a tad more racism.

*Funnily enough, in parallel with the litrpg talk, The Mysterious Island (its sort-of-sequel) I recall as basically being the olde timey version of that kind of build-yourself-up stat-padding fantasy, where you till and tame and alter the land around you to make it habitable, because they didn't have pen and paper adventuring rpgs back then but they DID have dreams based around colonialism and homesteading. The Swiss Family Robinson was like that too but turned up to 11.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I feel like there is a subset of people who assume that autism also confers savant status in something. Combat savantism would have gotten the point across better in my opinion.
https://twitter.com/haleymossart/status/1218980007600689154?s=20
https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1222670961411084288?s=20

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I feel like I must have read Excession a little off-kilter, because to me it was full of Minds that were unbearable and smug in precisely the way you described but the way it ended made it all worthwhile because it consisted of them realizing they had totally wasted their time acting like cleverer-than-thou dickheads when confronted with something way more powerful but less self-congratulatorily convoluted than they were.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

branedotorg posted:

I think the deathworld trilogy is his most readable and fun series but from left field:

West of Eden, his what if dinosaurs evolved instead of humans. It's a big sort of terrible but also a bit great.

I also have a massive soft spot for his alternative- history Norse series, hammer and the cross but last time it got brought up in here people what all over it so ymv
Saddeningly, the book is very, very, very old-fashioned in its presentation of anything dinosaur-related. Feels like it fell through a timewarp from the 1950s.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

shameful lack of gay dinosaurs
:hai:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

on the subject of colonization times fiction, the word for world is forest by le guin is that from the perspective of the colonized people
I think that was the first Le Guin I ever read and even as clueless as I was at that age I pretty much got its point because boy howdy it was exactly as subtle as it needed to be on the subject.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Okay so I've been trying to explain what I disliked about Kaiju Preservation Society and I guess it's that even the characters weren't buying the stupid meme poo poo believably. "YoU nAmEd tHeM EdWaRd AnD bElLa?!" except if youre my age and someone tells you they named a pair of observed breeding animals Edward and Bella your response kinda ranges from an eye roll to a chuckle depending on how you felt about Twilight. You're not just bowled over that a scientist named a couple of monsters after a couple from some dork poo poo from their childhood.
Yeah I'd put that on the same level as a local wetland area having a pair of swans called Jack and Diane. "Heh. Reference. Sensible chuckle."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Sax Solo posted:

I'm okay with, "I only write cis people because I'm cis", but "Body transformation? That's modern/sci-fi stuff, not fantasy!" is wild.
We don't talk about Robert A. Heinlein's The Little Mermaid. This is, of course, to say nothing of Arthur C. Clarke's The Frog Prince.

edit: seriously shapeshifting is not a new thing and very much not sci-fi what is going on with that argument.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 23, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I guess Flashback is set in 2034 so we have another 12 years to discover that climate change is fake, sell the government to the Japanese, yield the southwest to Mexican supergangs and establish global caliphate. Keep it up Dan
The last three there are anxieties of the what, 80s, 90s, and '00s in that order? He's got to get with the times and write a sequel with I don't know, China and Q or something.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The most important question here: why reduce the genre to 'Russian Tom Clancy' when it could instead be described as 'Russian Tom Clancy isekai'?

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1535602482218418176?s=20&t=8xMt2ZZIafCy6GZ_yd0zLQ
https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1535612298257215489?s=20&t=8xMt2ZZIafCy6GZ_yd0zLQ

Come to think if it, did Tom Clancy do isekai?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I have no real opinion about the dark forest, but the fact that humans are earth's second attempt at a globe-dominating, tool-using species after the dinosaurs gives me some slim hope that the worst of the great filter may actually be behind us. I'd say this hope keeps me warm at night but actually that's the climate change.
I don't want to ruin the foundations of your hopes, but as far as I'm aware all known tool usage in dinosaurs is found in contemporary birds and in any case even after the K-Pg boundary dinosaurs are an enormously varied and gigantic clade of animals that can't be conceptualized as a 'species' any more than mammals or deciduous trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

zoux posted:

Bipedalism might be weird, it's not actually very stable and walking is really just controlled falling.
Non-avian theropods did it better; they had the good ol' massive-rear end-muscles-plus-tail-suite that let them turn rapidly, plus the way their ankle joint is put together makes it way harder for them to unexpectedly twist it while running than ours.