Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Major Ryan posted:

0-15-1 for both teams in the most egregious display of match-fixing ever to be seen in the NFL. Give the tanking conspiracy nerds the off-season talking point they really want.

What happens if neither team takes the field? Automatic forfeit in favor of the home team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

He's right

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

draft lotteries are dogshit.

here's a decent idea: if you are out of the playoffs you can choose to convert your pick in a round to 2 untradable compensatory picks

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The current draft system via win record is fine.

The main thing that needs to change is the comp pick system.

If anything, remove the current comp pick system and then each year give the teams with worst 3 records a comp pick each in the third or something.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How many more handouts do these dumb teams need? Should we spot them each 3 points too?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The current draft system via win record is fine.

The main thing that needs to change is the comp pick system.

If anything, remove the current comp pick system and then each year give the teams with worst 3 records a comp pick each in the third or something.

As the fan of a team that regularly abuses the comp system this is entirely accurate. It's a fine idea in theory but in practice it's way too generous. There should also probably be a time with team variable or something because these one year rental deals that turn into 3rd round picks are extra ridiculous.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Automatically nationalize a team that goes 5 years without a winning record, reduced by a year per team nationalized until the league is nationalized.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The NBA draft is dumb and the NFL would make the most byzantine draft lottery ever seen.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Tanking is so tied up in teams angling for a specific prospect(QB at #1 overall) that I think it'd be pretty easy to fix it by adding just a little bit of uncertainty to it. I think even as little as a coin flip to decide who picks #1 and who picks #2 would be enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zoran posted:

The best proposal I’ve seen for draft ordering is to give teams points towards the higher picks for wins after they’ve been mathematically eliminated. So if you go 0-10 and can’t make the playoffs by week 11, winning your next six and finishing strong gives you the best possible draft position.

I saw someone suggest for teams out of the playoffs it's reverse order (IE best team that didn't make the playoffs gets #1 overall), then the normal order for playoff teams. I haven't thought about it much but I don't absolutely hate it.

But yeah you guys are right, the comp system is the main thing that needs to go.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

they can do whatever they want after we secure tua

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

lol https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1183706935725568001

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I saw someone suggest for teams out of the playoffs it's reverse order (IE best team that didn't make the playoffs gets #1 overall), then the normal order for playoff teams. I haven't thought about it much but I don't absolutely hate it.

But yeah you guys are right, the comp system is the main thing that needs to go.

I like that a bit better than the draft system. Encourages teams to really try and makes tanking pretty much impossible.

I disagree with getting rid of the comp system, the idea behidn it makes sense that you're too good at drafting players and can't sign guys due to salary cap restrictions so here are some picks to help cushion the blow. The problem is the rookie wage scale has made those 3rd round draft picks ridiculously valuable compared to even a reasonably priced veteran.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dean Spanos would rather be a pauper in heaven than a king in hell

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

What happens if neither team takes the field? Automatic forfeit in favor of the home team?

The rulebook posted:

ARTICLE 1. WINNING TEAM
The team that scores the greater number of points during the entire game is the winner.

Note: If a team forfeits a game, the opponent will be declared the winner by a score of 2-0, but the points will not be added to the winning team’s record for purposes of offensive production or tie-breakers.

But that's just if one team forfeits, not both. According to wikipedia actual in-season games haven't been cancelled since the 1930s, with games that physically couldn't be played moved or rescheduled. So there's not really any precedent. Shame, because if the rule was both teams 'lost', we're back at 0-16 all around and all is good with the world.

E: I love that it's a 2-0 win. I guess the smallest winning margin, but if it doesn't count for anything, why bother attaching a score!?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Can someone fabricate a story about how dean hates magic johnson

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/TylerGheeNFL/status/1183583837835665408?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is that an extra point?

Another fun thing there is it would have only counted for one because the NFL had its head up its rear end about two point conversions for most of its existence.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

It's so jarring how unathletic everyone was back then. It was a different sport.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is that Butkus catching it?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So there's only 1 good team in the NFL is that correct

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Houston?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

will get murdered by a team with a pass rush.

I think one could make an argument that the seahawks, 49ers, and patriots are all very very very good teams

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

But that's just if one team forfeits, not both. According to wikipedia actual in-season games haven't been cancelled since the 1930s, with games that physically couldn't be played moved or rescheduled. So there's not really any precedent. Shame, because if the rule was both teams 'lost', we're back at 0-16 all around and all is good with the world.

E: I love that it's a 2-0 win. I guess the smallest winning margin, but if it doesn't count for anything, why bother attaching a score!?

personally, i would rule that whoever declared that they forfeit first got the L

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Seahawks are possibly worse than their record with a bunch of close wins. The Patriots have played one real team and that was close with their opponent being down a starting QB for the back half of the game. 49ers look the most real thus far too me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is that Butkus catching it?

Yes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

kiimo posted:

Patriots again
49er's are looking real

college ball looks more competitive

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seahawks are possibly worse than their record with a bunch of close wins. The Patriots have played one real team and that was close with their opponent being down a starting QB for the back half of the game. 49ers look the most real thus far too me.

There are no true flawless teams though - and id say the one weakness of the 49er remains jimmy g who throws too many ints - but those 3 remain very very good teams. I think when Drew Brees comes back you can add the Saints to that list too. They combine good offenses with great defenses which is something to be said in 2019.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

There are no true flawless teams though - and id say the one weakness of the 49er remains jimmy g who throws too many ints - but those 3 remain very very good teams. I think when Drew Brees comes back you can add the Saints to that list too. They combine good offenses with great defenses which is something to be said in 2019.

Saints are rolling along with Teddy B. Assuming Brees comes back at any point I think we can call them good, and they might just be good anyway.

That Rams game is looking worse as time goes by though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

adaz posted:

Jimmy G has some absolutely mind-numbing interceptions this season. Theyre not even errant passes, they're just bad decisions. My friend and I both went "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" on the end zone pick yesterday. It's making me nervous that the 49ers might not go 19-0 this year.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Saints are rolling along with Teddy B. Assuming Brees comes back at any point I think we can call them good, and they might just be good anyway.

The pay a ton for a backup QB startegy definitely paid off for them and that defense (!!!!) looks really good. It helps to have a good coaching staff. This might be the most stark year ever for coaching haves/have nots. AYou have the saints looking really great despite having a backup qb (granted a good backup qb). The Steelers look marginally OK despite being on their 3rd string QB. The Panthers are quietely winning games with Kyle Allen. The Colts are still competitive somehow despite their franchise QB quitting like the day before the season starts.

On the other side... you have the Jets who just had 0 plan when Darnold went down. The deadskins gave up by game 2 it felt like. The falcons might have the worst defense in the league (non-dolphins category) with their head coaching "taking over the defense" and hte cleveland browns seem intent upon wasting nick chubb and ruining baker mayfield.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If the Ravens trade for a legit pass rush threat and their secondary gets healthy they could be legit. If Mahomes gets healthy for the playoffs the Chiefs will be in the mix. If the recent Texan trend of not getting their terrific signal caller killed holds they will be a threat. If Brees looks like his old self coming back from injury Saints will definitely be contenders. Aaron Rodgers with a defense will be a tough playoff out. NFC West looks solid throughout, with the aforementioned 49ers at the front of the pack. All Jimmy G has to do is not lose games and he's more than capable of that.

The Patriots' inexorable march to the Superbowl is overstated. Especially since they have Darnold and his super-powered spleen to contend with this week.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pats
49ers
Chiefs/Saints/Hawks

Other

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Full on pumping the breaks on the Chiefs. Even with Mahommes healthy that defense is so loving bad against teams who can run the ball they get no chance. The offense had the ball for 76 seconds during the 4th quarter last night and I believe the last 2 games the TOP was something like 39:21 against the chiefs.

They can still be a good team sure because of Mahommes Magic but when teams can keep him off the field consistently that's a pretty bad flaw. They have to win one way - get up quick and force teams to become one dimensional

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers have one of the best defenses in the league and an MVP candidate.

Their next three games are against the 49ers, Titans, and Packers, so we'll know a lot more about them then.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

adaz posted:

Full on pumping the breaks on the Chiefs. Even with Mahommes healthy that defense is so loving bad against teams who can run the ball they get no chance. The offense had the ball for 76 seconds during the 4th quarter last night and I believe the last 2 games the TOP was something like 39:21 against the chiefs.

They can still be a good team sure because of Mahommes Magic but when teams can keep him off the field consistently that's a pretty bad flaw. They have to win one way - get up quick and force teams to become one dimensional

Even with their weaknesses they'll gash most teams.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

If its the same Panthers I have watched for years, it means we'll beat the 49ers, get trounced by the Titans inexplicably, and then win a slugout vs the Packers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seahawks are 5-1 and only have a +19 point differential lol (the niners are +83 for comparison)

Saints are +6 though, holy poo poo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

adaz posted:

And soon they'll have to pay Mahomes like 300 million dollars and can't fix the defense even if they want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Even with their weaknesses they'll gash most teams.

I think they're going to be a playoff team, but short week TNF against a division rival with a hobbled Mahomes could quite possibly mean a 4-3 start. Then the Packers the next week and who knows.

There's been a lot of analytics talk the last little while in KC about how bad run defense isn't actually a problem generally. That might have something going for it with an averagely bad run defense. But any team can just run up the middle and set themselves up with 2nd and 4 every time, and when things are that bad it is a problem.

People are still trying to blame the offense around here, and yeah, that's the side of the ball we expect results from. Two three and outs the only time you touch the ball in the fourth quarter is bad. But goddamn, you need something, like a pulse of any kind on defense.