Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The problem with DVOA is that it's completely opaque and that even a decade in, they're still making things up as they go along.

quote:

Taking a big hit in the ratings and also in the rankings are the Detroit Lions and the Buffalo Bills. Detroit falls from 11th to 12th with 30% adjustments and then down to 17th with 100% adjustments. Buffalo drops from ninth to 15th with both sets of adjustments. I will admit that those rankings feel a bit more in line with how these teams have played this year, suggesting that maybe we do need to incorporate opponent adjustments even after only three weeks of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

fsif posted:

The problem with DVOA is that it's completely opaque and that even a decade in, they're still making things up as they go along.

That was from an article examining whether starting the season with opponent adjustments is a good idea, despite the small sample size. They don’t normally turn adjustments “on” until Week 4.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Comparing week 5 teams to other historical week 5 teams is one thing, but this is more wild:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm curious to see what a graph of "Team DVOA by week" would look like. Anyone know if FO provides a full-season data summary somewhere? Or would it need to be manually scraped from their weekly posts.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kalensc posted:

I'm curious to see what a graph of "Team DVOA by week" would look like. Anyone know if FO provides a full-season data summary somewhere? Or would it need to be manually scraped from their weekly posts.

I know they include a DVOA-by-week graph with each chapter of the almanac. Dunno if it’s on the website.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Nosre posted:

Comparing week 5 teams to other historical week 5 teams is one thing, but this is more wild:

Well, purely going by math:

- N.E is undefeated with only 1 decent divisional rival, and they beat them on the road;

- Going by stats or the ol' eye test, N.E is certainly stronger than Buffalo overall;

- Thus N.E winning the division has an extremely high probability at this juncture;

- The expected wins versus their weak schedule gives them a very high bye probability;

- K.C's in-conference loss hurts their projections for a top seed (although their match vs N.E will settle that potential 2-way tiebreaker);

- So if you put that all together in the magic opaque number machine (very debatable methodology) you can reasonably arrive at:

P(N.E in playoffs) > 99.7%
P(N.E wins AFCE) =~ 95.0%
P(N.E earns bye) =~ 90.7%
P(N.E wins divisional playoff) =~ 78.7%
P(N.E wins conference title) =~ 57.7%
P(N.E wins title) =~ 37.3%

Note that conditional probabilities are important to consider for those playoff matches. That is, the probability that B occurs if we assume A occurs. This would give a better representation of what FO is currently projecting for an individual Sunday in January.

P(B|A) = P(A & B occur) / P(A occurs)

P(N.E wins DivPO | N.E has bye) =~ 0.787/0.907 =~ 0.868*

(* note that this specific calc isn't quite right, as we would need to cut out the (N.E wins DivPO without having a bye) slice, but I am about to go into a meeting and it's close enough° given how dominant their Bye% is)

((° note that I loathe that phrasing and will probably edit the true calc in later cause mathematical minds can't. let. poo poo. go.))

So, right now, IF N.E earns a bye and thus hosts a WC game winner such as Buffalo, Baltimore, Houston, Oakland, Indy, etc, THEN FO is projecting an N.E win approx 7 out of 8 times.

P(N.E wins ConfPO | (P(N.E wins DivPO | N.E has bye)) =~ 0.577/0.868 =~ 0.665

So, IF N.E earns a bye AND then advances to the AFC title match, THEN FO is projecting an N.E win approx 2 out of 3 times.

P(N.E wins SB | (P(N.E wins ConfPO | (P(N.E wins DivPO | N.E has bye))) =~ 0.373/0.665 =~ 0.561

So, if N.E earns a bye AND advances to AFC title game AND wins AFC title, THEN FO is projecting an N.E win approx 5 out of 9 times.

Those playoff projections aren't that unreasonable, and the SB game itself is close to a coin-flip. What gives them such a massive lead in the SB Win% column is the projection that they have a 78%~ shot at #1 Seed and 13% shot at #2 Seed (thus the 90.7% bye). For comparison, K.C has the second largest Bye% at 46.7%, and thus FO projections account for K.C playing in the Wild Card round quite often. That extra game, plus a win sending them on the road in the divisional round, significantly lowers their SB Win%.

TL;DR: Read the whole post, cause math is fun. Also, gently caress the Pats & gently caress the NFL Corporation in general. Go Players Go.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Does DVOA account for the Patriots being cheaters and frauds

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can you do it again in Steiner math

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
DVOA includes two great ideas you don't get in "normal" stats - success rate and opponent adjustments.

Success rate being the number of times a play is successful, something like get 40% of needed yards on 1st down, 80% on 2nd down, 100% on 3rd or 4th down. That's a neat idea, since it weeds out plays such as when a draw on 3rd and 25 gets a running back 15 yards; it wasn't really successful, so the running back doesn't get much credit for it.

Opponent adjustments are also a good idea, it's the formal way of saying "Yeah, but they've only played Miami, Washingon, and the Jets so far, wait until they play a real team!"

The problem with DVOA is it takes these two basic, good ideas and mushes them into an opaque mega-Excel document. They also do this stuff with "greatest team of all time!" every year to fill content, and it almost always winds up being due to small sample sizes that vanishes by week 8 or 9.

I wish they'd just post success rate percentages and opponent-adjusted yards and left it at that; maybe they do have that info in their paid site I dunno. I have written too much about DVOA

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

If the Pats are frauds then everyone else in the league is much worse then that.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh so it’s San Fran who gets built up before their first round exit

Extremely fine with this

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Are the niners actually good? I haven’t been able to see them play yet

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

kalensc posted:

. What gives them such a massive lead in the SB Win% column is the projection that they have a 78%~ shot at #1 Seed and 13% shot at #2 Seed (thus the 90.7% bye). For comparison, K.C has the second largest Bye% at 46.7%, and thus FO projections account for K.C playing in the Wild Card round quite often. That extra game, plus a win sending them on the road in the divisional round, significantly lowers their SB Win%.

TL;DR: Read the whole post, cause math is fun. Also, gently caress the Pats & gently caress the NFL Corporation in general. Go Players Go.

AFC East being a dumpster fire for 20 years and giving NE a automatic bye or at worst at least 1 playoff game at home - and therefore like automatically a 15-20% greater chance to win the superbowl every year - is more reasons to hate literally every team in that division. gently caress you AFC East.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DVOA loves the Pats because their defense has given up 20 total points in 5 games, which along with scoring 30+ in 4 of 5 games means yeah they're gonna be ranked highly.

They'll come back down to something normal at some point, because you can't play the Dolphins or 3rd string QB's every week, but the defense is still super good.

Gave up 3 to the Steelers, who've scored 20+ in their other 4 games.
Gave up 10 to the Bills, who are averaging 20 in their other games.
and... okay, yeah, there's really nothing to take from blanking the Dolphins or 2 3rd string QB's, come on now.

Anyway, Quick Reads is out: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-5-quick-reads

quote:

7. Matt Ryan - Sometimes completion percentage can be overrated. Ryan completed all 11 of his passes to his running backs, but for a total of just 85 yards and only two first downs (though one of those was a touchdown).

29. Colt McCoy: I've been writing for Football Outsiders since 2007, and I don't remember ever seeing this split before: McCoy played the entire game for Washington, and he didn't have a single dropback in the opponents' territory. He had one pass at the 50; it was incomplete. On third downs, he went 3-of-7 for 12 yards with one conversion, three sacks, and a fumble. He only threw for five first downs in this game. That's as many as Devlin Hodges produced in 10 dropbacks against Baltimore.

Also Luke Falk had one of the worst games ever by DYAR.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yes but it hasn’t been updated to take handjobs from Chinese sex slaves just yet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Finally, some intelligent football commentary on tv:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1181584075213160448

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 8, 2019

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kalensc posted:

Well, purely going by math:

- N.E is undefeated with only 1 decent divisional rival, and they beat them on the road;

- Going by stats or the ol' eye test, N.E is certainly stronger than Buffalo overall;

- Thus N.E winning the division has an extremely high probability at this juncture;

- The expected wins versus their weak schedule gives them a very high bye probability;

- K.C's in-conference loss hurts their projections for a top seed (although their match vs N.E will settle that potential 2-way tiebreaker);

- So if you put that all together in the magic opaque number machine (very debatable methodology) you can reasonably arrive at:

P(N.E in playoffs) > 99.7%
P(N.E wins AFCE) =~ 95.0%
P(N.E earns bye) =~ 90.7%
P(N.E wins divisional playoff) =~ 78.7%
P(N.E wins conference title) =~ 57.7%
P(N.E wins title) =~ 37.3%

Note that conditional probabilities are important to consider for those playoff matches. That is, the probability that B occurs if we assume A occurs. This would give a better representation of what FO is currently projecting for an individual Sunday in January.

P(B|A) = P(A & B occur) / P(A occurs)

P(N.E wins DivPO | N.E has bye) =~ 0.787/0.907 =~ 0.868*

(* note that this specific calc isn't quite right, as we would need to cut out the (N.E wins DivPO without having a bye) slice, but I am about to go into a meeting and it's close enough° given how dominant their Bye% is)

((° note that I loathe that phrasing and will probably edit the true calc in later cause mathematical minds can't. let. poo poo. go.))

So, right now, IF N.E earns a bye and thus hosts a WC game winner such as Buffalo, Baltimore, Houston, Oakland, Indy, etc, THEN FO is projecting an N.E win approx 7 out of 8 times.

P(N.E wins ConfPO | (P(N.E wins DivPO | N.E has bye)) =~ 0.577/0.868 =~ 0.665

So, IF N.E earns a bye AND then advances to the AFC title match, THEN FO is projecting an N.E win approx 2 out of 3 times.

P(N.E wins SB | (P(N.E wins ConfPO | (P(N.E wins DivPO | N.E has bye))) =~ 0.373/0.665 =~ 0.561

So, if N.E earns a bye AND advances to AFC title game AND wins AFC title, THEN FO is projecting an N.E win approx 5 out of 9 times.

Those playoff projections aren't that unreasonable, and the SB game itself is close to a coin-flip. What gives them such a massive lead in the SB Win% column is the projection that they have a 78%~ shot at #1 Seed and 13% shot at #2 Seed (thus the 90.7% bye). For comparison, K.C has the second largest Bye% at 46.7%, and thus FO projections account for K.C playing in the Wild Card round quite often. That extra game, plus a win sending them on the road in the divisional round, significantly lowers their SB Win%.

What’s the chance of ref fuckery in a Saints playoff game?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh so it’s San Fran who gets built up before their first round exit

Cant lose in the first round from your couch :smug:

oh god let me have this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I love that the insanely fraudulent bears team is on here

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I love that the insanely fraudulent bears team is on here

That bears team was an exercise in better lucky than good. Just an incredible amount of Bears Bullshit on turnovers and special teams and occasional sex cannon magic

420_Power_Rangers
Dec 9, 2014

Gotta Hate Something

Kalli posted:

I cannot wait for this

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Hope this doesn't interfere with his November comeback.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Kalli posted:

he's so gonna be a smackdown regular

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Spoeank posted:

Cant lose in the first round from your couch :smug:

oh god let me have this

All dolphins fan are:

1. Cheering against Patriots
2. Cheering against anyone we have vested interest in their draft picks (HOU, NOLA, PITT)
3. Remind every other fan base that winning is fleeting. Only true balance can come from 8-8. Yin Yang.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Kalli posted:

DVOA loves the Pats because their defense has given up 20 total points in 5 games, which along with scoring 30+ in 4 of 5 games means yeah they're gonna be ranked highly.

They'll come back down to something normal at some point, because you can't play the Dolphins or 3rd string QB's every week, but the defense is still super good.

Gave up 3 to the Steelers, who've scored 20+ in their other 4 games.
Gave up 10 to the Bills, who are averaging 20 in their other games.
and... okay, yeah, there's really nothing to take from blanking the Dolphins or 2 3rd string QB's, come on now.

Anyway, Quick Reads is out: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-5-quick-reads

Also Luke Falk had one of the worst games ever by DYAR.

A Raiders RB in the top 5 DVOA for rushing :eyepop:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nosre posted:

Cardinals getting the #1 pick again would be wild.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Uhhhh

https://twitter.com/Conoco/status/1181044252849180672?s=19

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

420_Power_Rangers posted:

I cannot wait for this

drat I wish CBS would’ve gotten him so we could have a Gronk and Romo show.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well I know what game the VP is going to next.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Amy Pole Her posted:

All dolphins fan are:

1. Cheering against Patriots
2. Cheering against anyone we have vested interest in their draft picks (HOU, NOLA, PITT)
3. Remind every other fan base that winning is fleeting. Only true balance can come from 8-8. Yin Yang.

The Patriots traded away Jimmy G so the ultimate gently caress you to the Patriots is the 49ers defeating them in the Super Bowl :rollsafe:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I see Animorphs is making a comeback.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

Schedule:

TNF: Giants @ Patriots

Sunday:
Early as gently caress: Panthers @ Buccaneers 9:30am

1pm:
Saints @ Jaguars
Washington @ Dolphins
Texans @ Chiefs
Eagles @ Vikings
Bengals @ Ravens
Seahawks @ Browns

4pm:
49ers @ Rams
Falcons @ Cardinals
Cowboys @ Jets
Titans @ Broncos

SNF: Steelers @ Chargers

MNF: Lions @ Packers - How rare is it when MNF is the best prime time game of the week?

My interpretation of this schedule:

49ers @ Rams - loving LIT

Saints @ Jaguars - maybe worth watching, especially if it's close

Washington @ Dolphins - battle of the stoppable force and the movable object. which 0-win team will come out on top?

Texans @ Chiefs - oh you're watching this one. see if the Chiefs can bounce back from their first loss and get a chance to watch two of the best young players in the game

Eagles @ Vikings - should be a hard fought game. not sure it'll be good or anything

Falcons @ Cardinals - I just like watching Kyler Murray

Panthers @ Buccaneers - Been enjoying watching the Panthers recently. If the Bucs manage to give them a fight it could be a good game

hifi posted:

bargain bin gardner minshew

lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm still amazed that the Bears had two current top 5 QBs Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes right there for them to draft and they take Mitch.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Kirios posted:

I'm still amazed that the Bears had two current top 5 QBs Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes right there for them to draft and they take Mitch.
Don't forget they traded up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

WHY DO THEY DO THIS EVERY TIME SOMEONE BEATS THE CHARGERS

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
12-4 here we come

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1181598115926872066?s=21

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007