Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He's been cleared.

What are they supposed to do? Just never play him this season because he had mono?

Might be worth another week if he lost a lot of weight or something.

But yeah other than that I guess you gotta throw him back out there. That or fire Gase right now (good idea) and continue the tank with whoever they have suiting up these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

You know I actually like Tomlin and would prefer him coach a team that’s not my team’s arch rival

If this were true though you'd want him to coach a team that is not your rival and also not the Skins.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

That 4th down he stopped on his own was so loving good.

Such an amazing moment for him.

I mean it loving helps when the offense doesn't even account for JUSTIN HOUSTON.

To be fair they probably aren't familiar with him not dropping into coverage randomly at the worst time. Hell the Chiefs gameplan probably rested on beating Houston when he was matched up one on one with Mecole Hardman or whatever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tom Sellout posted:

It was fun while it lasted :suicide:

Assuming all of that is true it's cool that the quality control coaches got a nice moment.

Those guys have it rough. We all like football, none of us like football enough to do that job.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The pulmonary embolism one is just like, if I were to make a joke about why someone on the Chargers was hurt I might go with that since it's a real term I've vaguely heard.

Past that I'd be down to 'oh that Chargers LB? He's out with with toeitis,' or something.

Coincidentally I'm pretty sure Eddie George lost a good chunk of his career to toeitis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

Something is hosed up with the Chargers medical staff, or conditioning staff, or somewhere along the line.

Imagine how bad David Chao must have been to get fired from that organization.

Or how bad everyone else is because it apparently got worse.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vengarr posted:

Plays, not days.

Yeah I read that wrong too at first. Still if he averages 30 snaps a game that's just over 6 games of being a good boy?

I don't know how many snaps he gets per game, I feel like 30 is a decent guess coming out on third downs or whatever but it might be lower. Or higher which would be funnier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You do have to admit that picture from college where he's pointing at the quarterback is an all time great football picture.

I'm not sure how many dangerous hits that forgives but I'm sure it's a few.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Did you know that in literally every organized sport on the planet, the best philosophy is to play consistently and allow your opponent to make the mistakes? It's true! Even in games like cribbage or ping-pong!

And yet, Alex Smith.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Bengals were pretty good for a lot of the Brady years in the regular season.

I don't think it's insane to think the Pats would have had a few less first round byes had you swapped them with the Browns, even though I agree they'd still have regularly handled the Steelers.

The funnier thing to think about is what the AFC East would have sent to the playoffs every year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Actually, isn't Rodgers the last qb to be drafted in three first round and win a superbowl as the starter?

An incredibly washed up Peyton.

e: yeah it's mostly Brady and Wilson with Foles in on a technicality even though he balled out that game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think other than Brady/Wilson and Brady/Foles the last Super Bowl to not include a first round QB was Brad Johnson vs Rich Gannon in 2002. Although we did have two in a row because the year before that was Brady/Warner. Warner of course won one earlier.

Brees is the other guy to mention I guess, won as the first pick in round two.

Going back further we have Favre, Mark Rypien and Hostetler as winners. Hostetler of course replaced Simms who was a first rounder. Doug Williams was a first rounder who replaced Rypien in another Washington SB, I'd forgotten he went in the first. A bunch of Montana, Theismann. Oh duh, and Dilfer.

That's it for winners back to 1980 and I need to find something else to do with my time. So 12 different guys have won back to 1980 who weren't first rounders, but a couple of them combine for 10 rings.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 12, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

Do you _really_ think the bills are the 2nd best team in the AFC. Be honest.

Absolutely not, but at the same time the Bills are weirdly good as far as we know and I don't know what to think about them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zoran posted:

The best proposal I’ve seen for draft ordering is to give teams points towards the higher picks for wins after they’ve been mathematically eliminated. So if you go 0-10 and can’t make the playoffs by week 11, winning your next six and finishing strong gives you the best possible draft position.

I saw someone suggest for teams out of the playoffs it's reverse order (IE best team that didn't make the playoffs gets #1 overall), then the normal order for playoff teams. I haven't thought about it much but I don't absolutely hate it.

But yeah you guys are right, the comp system is the main thing that needs to go.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is that an extra point?

Another fun thing there is it would have only counted for one because the NFL had its head up its rear end about two point conversions for most of its existence.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

There are no true flawless teams though - and id say the one weakness of the 49er remains jimmy g who throws too many ints - but those 3 remain very very good teams. I think when Drew Brees comes back you can add the Saints to that list too. They combine good offenses with great defenses which is something to be said in 2019.

Saints are rolling along with Teddy B. Assuming Brees comes back at any point I think we can call them good, and they might just be good anyway.

That Rams game is looking worse as time goes by though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Even with their weaknesses they'll gash most teams.

I think they're going to be a playoff team, but short week TNF against a division rival with a hobbled Mahomes could quite possibly mean a 4-3 start. Then the Packers the next week and who knows.

There's been a lot of analytics talk the last little while in KC about how bad run defense isn't actually a problem generally. That might have something going for it with an averagely bad run defense. But any team can just run up the middle and set themselves up with 2nd and 4 every time, and when things are that bad it is a problem.

People are still trying to blame the offense around here, and yeah, that's the side of the ball we expect results from. Two three and outs the only time you touch the ball in the fourth quarter is bad. But goddamn, you need something, like a pulse of any kind on defense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Chiefs are basically turning every running back they face into prime Jim Brown.

The worrying thing is they're supposed to win when they go up big early. They did that yesterday, and Bill O'Brien, noted idiot, was able to figure out no matter what happens you don't need to panic against this defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

If you've seen any KC media over the last 24 hours, would have thought the Chiefs are the Miami Dolphins :shobon:

This is clearly not the case, the Dolphins are doing what they set out to do!

Yeah it's been ridiculous lost season poo poo all over, things will be fineish if everyone comes back from injuries ok and they'll win the division and be in play for a bye. Having said that they're still much worse than expected (or at least expected locally).