Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Just as warning/FYI to anime only folks: From what I've seen of the trailers, Heroes Rising, the upcoming movie, will have quite a few spoilers for the manga up to and including the most recent story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ijyt posted:

He’s in prison though so it’s fine now.
Throwing comic book villains in prison is, ultimately, better than "killing" them. At least when they're in prison you get a heads up when they're preparing to make a come back. When you kill them they just show up alive again out of the blue and gently caress everything up while you're still off balance.

Case in point: All for One.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

It's a little odd that he doesn't just keep a regen type quirk around all the time but if he did that there wouldnt really be a plot so :shrug:

They aren't common.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The extra long hiatus seems to really have killed this show's popularity. Barely any activity after last week's episode in a lot of the places I visit online.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Bear in mind that at least some of the reason neither side is particularly gung ho to fight is that neither Mirio nor Overhaul know much about how each other's quirk works. Being untouchable as long as you can keep outhinking your opponent is great and all but Mirio can't be certain overhaul doesn't have a way to counter it. And Overhaul is like Shigaraki in that all it takes is one slip-up and you're dead. There's no room for guesses with that kind of power.

Better than Shigaraki, in fact, in that Shigaraki needs to get all five fingers on you. Chisaki did his thing with one.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nighteye compared him to a slower Grand Torino.

Also chapter.
Wrong topic

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Deku is pretty dang fast. I feel like just because you can see him coming doesn't mean you can move your body fast enough to dodge!
He's fast, but he's not that fast. Nighteye dissed his speed, Stain can tag him, Bakugo can tag him, and Chisaki is pretty quick (at least reflexively) judging by what happened against the League.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 15, 2019

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
To be precise about the timeline in regards to All Might, Nighteye, Deku, and Mirio, using the current time in the series as the point of reference:

- 6 years ago: All Might fights and pops the top of the head off of All for One, receiving a severe injury in the process. Nighteye predicts All Might's death in six or seven years.
- Around April last year: All Might is invited to teach at UA and is told about Mirio
- Soon after: He meets Deku and decides to train him. We know this is in April because UA Entry Exams are in February and Deku trained for 10 months, receiving One for All on the day of the Entry Exams
- September of last year: Togata Mirio receives his provisional license.
- In roughly September or early October of last year: All Might informs Nighteye of his decision. Nighteye disagrees and takes Mirio under his wing to train a worthy successor. (It would have to be September or October because Mirio would need his provisional license to work for Nighteye. In addition, the Japanese school year starts in April and runs for three months before Summer break at the end of July and beginning of August. Meaning it is currently September or October, as they have already had Summer break, and Mirio says he's been working with Nighteye for about a year.)

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 17, 2019

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh hey, look at that, the text explicitly validated Deku's instincts to save Eri and explicitly categorized Mirio's play to wait for a better moment as a mistake - albeit a reasonable one brought on by lack of intel. Who could have predicted

Did you miss the part where Gran Torino pointed out rushing into a situation and not getting Eri would make things worse? Or Aizawa pointing out that it wasn't necessarily despair that Eri felt when Deku missed her hand in that moment.

The best outcome would have been Deku and Mirio successfully grabbing Eri and getting away. The worst outcome would have been Deku and Mirio unsuccessfully grabbing Eri. They don't know what the outcome would have been, but even if they knew failure rate at that time was 100% they'd be real lovely heroes if they didn't feel awful about not trying once they found out what was happening to her.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The problem was that the X Gene only expressed in a tiny part of the population vs MHA's 80% of new births after whatever the advent was.

E: incidentally I hope we never find out what the quirk advent was caused by

Mutants would be headed towards being the majority by now if not for Genosha. And they're 20 years off as things stand. Given the way that Marvel's timeline is condensed, it's actually happening faster in Marvel than it did in MHA.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Deku's mom has telekinesis strong enough to move pretty much any regular household objects around freely without strain.

It's not crazy top tier or anything, but it's pretty decent, and from what we see of trained vs untrained quirks, it probably could get strong enough for pro hero use.

It's not like David Shields having extra-bendy fingers or Bakugo's mom having naturally great skin. It's a genuine cool superpower that happens to be less amazing than most of the Actual Superhero ones we see in action.

Moreover, quirks are like muscles. If you exercise them they get stronger. Deku's mom could have been a terror if she'd gone that way. Bakugo's mom, not so much.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

we just met a guy who's incredibly dangerous quirk was "can make a 5 inch boxcutter come out of his skin"

He wishes. They don't even quite make it to 4.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

The extra long hiatus seems to really have killed this show's popularity. Barely any activity after last week's episode in a lot of the places I visit online.

So I pointed this out a few weeks ago, but seriously. Not a peep on the day an episode aired.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Is Midoriya's super-strength just kind of accepted as having no upper limit by everyone now? Is there not going going to be anyone next episode who asks how Deku was able to kick the air so hard it exploded?

They already saw him do that kind of stuff back when he was breaking his bones with every use. Him being able to output that much power isn't all that surprising.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

So the music that plays right before Deku kicks up outta there is You Say Run with vocals right?

Yep

Also, the reason they used AfO's theme for Deku when he was beating the poo poo out Chisaki is because that's what All Might in his prime was for villains. As terrifying (more terrifying, in fact) than AfO when he showed up last season. That's why groups like the Hissaikai were torn down. That's why crime was steadily plummeting. Because that's what anyone who stepped a toe out of line had to contend with.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Now that I know her power it seems kinda lame, less creative than what the boys have, and also I'm not sure how effective it is?

So she uses her life force to shoot laser spirals? Does that mean her power is slowly killing her? And the power she's getting out of it doesn't seem terribly effective against "a really big dude." I don't get it, what sets her apart from the normal students at UA and puts her on level with "horrifying shapeshifting chimera monstrosity" and "real life speedrunning glitches?" Really disappointing unless they give her a big show off fight later

Her power is "being a Dragon Ball Z character minus the super strength". Her shots against Rikiya were weaker than average because he'd literally just gotten done draining her of the same vitality she uses to power them. Despite that she was still able to fly and fight. Also, do recall she dropped those giants without breaking a sweat early in the season.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2020

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

If the show had framed that as a heroic struggle and the meager efforts we saw existing at all as a testament to her abilities, that'd have been pretty cool

It felt a little more like "oh you wanted to know what the girl does? Uhhhhh she shoots lasers I guess OK LETS GET BACK TO WHAT THE BOYS WERE DOING QUICK"

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah, this. It didn't even register in my mind that she was the girl from the Big 3, or that she was flying. Just "uh-oh? okay? and we're moving on".

No one ever accused the show (or manga) of doing a good job of properly framing Nejire's feats. Just pointing out that they're present.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Nighteye himself says that he can deviate from the future he sees but eventually it gets back on track. I doubt reality weighs the importance of individual actions. The fact he can do *anything* differently than what he sees is evidence the future can be changed. He was just unable to change it to any significant degree on his own.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

is there a quote for that? i thought it was along the lines of "no matter what i try, reality alters course to the future i see." as in, if he sees himself dropping his favorite coffee mug, he can try to avoid going near his coffee mug as much as possible but somehow fate will align such that it ends up in his hand and he drops it at some point. between the film reel visual and how much the story has had him hammering home "no, the future can't loving change" as a dramatic circumstance, it sure would be kinda rear end if it pulled the ol' "nighteye just never tried hard enough, unlike our plucky hero deku" deal.

it'd also seriously undercut the tragedy of him seeing his hero's death and i'd really dislike that because i thought that was one of the better parts of this arc
From the anime:

"Even if I act completely differently from the future I saw it ends up returning to what I saw as if balancing accounts."

The manga version is narration instead of him saying it himself:

"The future he sees cannot be changed. He's tried many times in the past. No matter how desperately he tried to steer away the future he glimpsed, with enough time, like a balance sheet governing the universe, things would always return to their natural flow. It would just be as if he inserted some extra scenes. But the ending never changed. Could it be that the very act of seeing someone else's future locked them into that fate? Ever since he saw "The Death of All Might," he decided he would no longer read people's futures. He would only look a second into the future, and respond accordingly."

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Fabricated posted:

There's a very very short arc that precedes it. They could fit it into a single episode.

If that arc gets one episode instead of two then you may just see the arc after the cultural festival, which is a doozy.

It'll get two. Both the short arc you're talking about as well as another two chapter story happens between now and the next big arc. I figure they'll use 1.5 episodes for the short arc and the other half of the second episode for the 2 chapters.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I find it weird that Stain is all "You shouldn't be paid for being a hero!"

I mean... you expect people to risk their lives for free? :psyduck:
He doesn't have a problem with cops being paid to do their job. It's explicitly that he doesn't believe people should be running around claiming to be "heroes" if they don't fit whatever his definition of what it means to be a hero is.

Hell, it's probably less about the money and more about the amount of money as well as the glory seeking. Ingenium, both of them, are good men, but they also benefit from their family being intergenerationally wealthy off of heroics.

Which isn't to say Stain is right. Just that his world view is more complex than making money from saving lives is bad.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
My counterpoint to the idea that Shigaraki's view of his subordinates doesn't contrast with Overhaul's, even if you believe Shigaraki legit doesn't care about the current league, is that Shigaraki, at the very least, understands the people he works with well enough to orchestrate a plan entirely dependent on his knowing what they would if he left their actions to their own judgement. A plan that could have been foiled if only Overhaul had thought to ask if they were considering betraying him as opposed to if there was any plans in place to do so. Because the Hissaikai wouldn't make plays without his orders (and he's wrong about that too, because Kronostasis made a call of his own after Chisaki was down).

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

No one is denying Toga and Twice care about each other. They are outcasts who actively sought out companionship

Expressly not why Toga joined.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
They cut a quick. but significant, flashback out of this episode while adding flashbacks for padding. Strange decision. In the manga, when Todoroki says he thinks there's a better way, Bakugo flashes back to overhearing him and Deku in the hallway during the sports festival before letting him try.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
One on One, Overhaul doesn't make it to round two against Bakugo. Explosions kinda don't miss the way a kick to the head does.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
All Might didn't fail. He was a perfect hero. The problem is, a perfect hero's flaw is leaving no room for those beneath them to flourish. So once they're gone, those heroes aren't prepared to carry the load without them. They haven't cut their teeth on any real trouble. He's the oak that casts the smaller trees in its shadow so they never get any sunlight.

As for pride? All Might's right. A desire to win is necessary. A desire to save people alone leaves you with a self-sacrificing hero ready to surrender their wellbeing as an easy out. That may save people in the immediate present, but what happens when you're off the board because you're laid up? Or dead?

You need to fight to win, not just to rescue.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Jackard posted:

Bakugo is just the next Endeavour

Bakugo would never be satisfied being number one vicariously through his kid. That boy will still be insisting he can make it to the top on his own in his 90s before he's willing to to put his hopes and dreams on someone else.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Deku's father is one of 2 things

1. Just some poor schlub keeping his family well cared for with money from his overseas job. This is less suspicious, I imagine, to Japanese audiences than American ones. It's an archetype in Japanese media.

2. Some mid to low level villain in keeping his family well cared for with money from his overseas crimes.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

The current year is measured by the epoch of the arrival of All Might. Like you would ABY/BBY in a Star Wars timeline.

It’s something like 16 AAM

All Might has been around much longer than that. He was already #1 and had been for a while when Endeavor became #2 and that was 25 years ago.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

BlitznBurst posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure All Might has been #1 for like 30-35 years at this point.

Yep. He's also pushing 60 if he isn't already in his sixties. He was around Deku's age when Nana Shimura's kid was a small child. It's been long enough for that kid to grow up, have a kid of their own, and for that kid to grow up.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Horikoshi draws La Brava with adult proportions, she's just small. Without a regular sized point of reference next to her the only thing that would make you think she's not an adult are her eyes being absolutely enormous. And the anime version's eyes take up even more real estate on her face than manga's because they're drawn more like rounded squares with a chunk cut out than rounded rectangles with a chunk cut out. Plus the anime makes every single girl and woman who isn't already a rail thinner.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Junpei posted:

See, my headcanon is that Eri's quirk screwed with the visions because it also involves time.

Eri's power isn't time based. It's biological. It reverses biology to a certain point prior to the current point. If Eri reversed time she wouldn't be able to turn a human into an ape because at no point was that human an ape, nor were their genes ever an ape's genes.

Likewise, at no point did Mirio, for example, ever not have a quirk factor. Couldn't necessarily access it when he was young, but it was always there. And the bullet made from her blood removes it entirely.

Eri's power is to reverse a person's biology on several different levels. Currently, without control, she reverses their personal physiology. Overhaul got it to the point of targeting a person's genetic lineage for reversal.

Nighteye's whole problem is that he was working alone to change the future. The way he describes his quirk when he tries to change a future he's already aware of is adding a few extra scenes, but always reverting back to the original outcome.

But once you add enough people adding enough new scenes to the movie, the movie turns out differently. Just telling All Might what was in his future with Gran Torino and Recovery Girl present may have been enough to add enough new scenes to create a new future for All Might, and Night Eye simply never knew because he never looked at All Might's future again.

Brother Entropy posted:

that kind of sums up nighteye's quirk in general: he can see people's future! [an issue or two later] but only an hour at a time! [another issue or two later] well he can do it farther than that but then it gets hazy in some vaguely explained way! [another couple of issues] and the future he sees is always right! [a lot more issues later] oh nevermind
No, it was "he can see as far into someone's future as he wants for up to an hour" from the start. Then the exact time being hazy the further out from the present he went, but his predictions never having been wrong previously.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 4, 2020

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

there's not really any questions raised, so much as it brings a conclusion ("this is kind of weak and lame storytelling") and questions are raised to try to counter that conclusion. eri's quirk being time related, and thus the actual reason deku was able to break the prophecy, is an explanation that works and doesn't involve calling the competence of nighteye into question or cheapening the actually compelling drama created by his character (that the strength of his quirk trapped him in a position of knowing his hero will die and he's been powerless to stop it). it's unfortunate that this explanation apparently is contradicted by the actual text, because it'd be nice if the core of nighteye's character wasn't undone by various rewordings of "you just didn't try as hard as deku did, never once in your life"

I mean, it's not that he didn't try hard enough. It's that he went it alone.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Gentle's backstory is basically what would have happened to Deku if he hadn't have met All Might. He would have run into a situation trying to be a hero and gotten people hurt (and probably have gotten himself killed in the process).

Hell, he did that very thing in episode two. All Might being there is the only reason he''s not a corpse already.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Gentle rules
Eh

Gentle hosed up his own life even before he got that guy hurt. He was an under achieving poor student (even though we see that when he actually puts his mind to it he can be very capable) who couldn't be satisfied just learning to do a regular job instead of continuing to fail in his hero course in school. And now he's willing to ruin the efforts of other school children, who have actually put in the work that he wouldn't when he was their age for the sake of a dream he'd forgotten until a classmate didn't remember his face.

Gentle's and La Brava make for a great story arc and great characters, but as a person? Gentle's a poo poo.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Eej posted:

Never thought "actually Gentle should've accepted the fact that he's a loser, give up on his dreams and be a normal pleb instead of maybe Hero Society is wrong if it can't figure out a way to recognize some people suck at structured learning like school and tests but are clearly extremely capable at Heroics" would be a take in this thread but here we are

"Gentle should have tried harder before he crippled a man, because he's clearly able to, instead of deciding ruining a children's festival was the best way to make his dreams come true" seems pretty reasonable to me.

He didn't just fail at theoretical tests, he failed at practical application (he took the provisional license exam four times and failed all four).

And then he gave up on his "dream" anyways, until he got mad that someone he went to class with was getting famous and didn't remember him.

He then set himself to the task of learning how to use his powers in an effective way after he'd already screwed up. Which he could have done at any time previously, but didn't.

He didn't then go on to be a hero constrained by society's requirements for how one becomes a hero. He didn't try to take a licensing exam and find himself barred because of his past mistakes. He decided he'd be just as happy being remembered as a villain and went on to be a Jackass. As in the show.

He didn't even have a particularly noble dream. He wants to be remembered. So do all of us. Most of us have lines in the sand we're unwilling to cross to achieve those dreams. Grown rear end man Gentle, however, says in no uncertain terms that he's willing to crush the efforts of a bunch of children and a little girl who didn't know how to smile to achieve those dreams.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

gentle has no idea what the repercussions of his breaking in would be. nor should he! poo poo is wacky at that school right now

Deku tells him at the start of the fight and then again during it.

EDIT: Also he says himself he's perfectly aware of all the turmoil going on at the school due to the attack during the summer training and Bakugo's kidnapping. UA is publicly on thin ice.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2020

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What hero is Endeavor analogous to anyway? I was thinking Captain Atom, but that doesn't seem right.
Kind of has a Magog thing going. Except Endeavor realized he was being a poo poo right before officially replacing his Superman instead of after.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 6, 2020

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

All ya gotta do is use awkward phrasing that can mean multiple things, like "All Might is gonna smash with All For One" and then watch as people take it the completely wrong way and hilarity ensues

Say any character's name with an ellipsis and watch the fun, even when you've announced that that's what you're doing up front.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The thing about MHA's world that's funny is that it kinda proves that registration is not that big of a deal.

It doesn't actually prove that, so much as it constructs a reality where, for some reason, very few villains are willing to exploit the fact they know exactly who a hero is, where they live, and how to get to their non-hero friends and family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

And then said villains are going to have a very bad time of things.

Yes, because we all know when you've successfully abducted someone's spouse and/or children the first thing they're going to do is put their lives in danger by immediately coming after you.

Which doesn't even account for the people just out for revenge or to hurt a hero because they can. Or to discourage heroism in general through terroristic threats striking at various heroes' homes all at once.

I'm not criticizing the universe they constructed for not doing this, but I am criticizing the notion that, because it doesn't happen in this particular fiction then it is disproven as a narrative issue.