Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

Really curious how the reception of this arc will be in the anime. It was pretty polarizing.
Tighter pacing could probably help in a big-rear end way, but it'd still be kinda "Uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh, I dunno".

Also, y'all should know better about manga spoilers by now. :colbert:

e: Beaten like dayum.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

The manga thread has "anime" in the title for some stupid reason.
According to ADTRW'lore, it's due to people wandering into the Manga thread because of the My Hero Academia thread and getting a plateful of manga spoilers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oh jay posted:

The principal is the traitor, just letting strange reporters go wherever they want.
The Principal demands sacrifices.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

Jerry Jewell-voiced characters are not to be trusted.
https://twitter.com/VAJerryJewell/status/1097310286325923841

:hai:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

This is now a thread for ranking your favorite Brohood opening I'll start it's Golden Time Lover and all other options are wrong thank you
Sorry, "Again" it's still the OP for me. Still good after 10 years.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

taking pictures with my butt
That seems like something Bender B. Rodriguez might have some use for.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also Aoi Yuuki using a voice she normally doesn't break out all that often probably helps. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bakugo is still very immature when it comes to dealing with his emotions (I mean that's sort of a given; he's like 15-16 years old), but he's not a mindless berserk by any stretch of the word. Like when he fought against Uraraka: At no point in time did he underestimate her and even sorta took into account that she could use his quirk against him. When she does and he still blasts her debris barrage, he even notes that she was this close to actually checkmating him.

He's a fun character, even if he's by no means my favorite.

e: drat auto-complete.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 15, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Heroes are cops in this world in that they're regulated and licensed. She wasn't wrong, and they were insanely lucky everything worked out as well as it did.

Bakugou being the way he is kinda always felt like to me that he was the Zoro of the series in that he's set up as this ringer who will never lose a fight when it counts so you can't really just say "yeah he's gonna job" when he gets a fight with a genuinely top tier opponent you think the MC should be fighting.

Like if you had me pick between Todoroki or Bakugou as to who could possibly die in an act 3 stinger to show that things are really serious, I'd say Todoroki is dead meat despite him generally being shown as still being stronger overall.
I dunno. Isn't Todoroki insanely popular in Japan? Like I'd feel that the editors would be vetoing the poo poo out of their precious boy Zu-- I mean, Todoroki biting the dust.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

Which cartoon animal represents Deku?
A honey badger.

e: gently caress. Thought it was about Bakugo. Umm... a Mongoose?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 16, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

Fair warning. We've only seen the tip of it. It gets worse.
Yeah, let's not go there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

Ah cool, I was worried I missed a post-end scene or something. I missed so many of those in the first two seasons.
OP/ED skipper spotted. :byodood: DOGPILE!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, and as Gran Torino explained it at length: He's a phenomenal hero, but All-Might is kind of a lackluster teacher.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also all the flashing he'd do, which seems like lawsuits waiting to happen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do remember that Mirio, despite looking like a goofy, mulleted anime-Tintin, has to make calculations as to where he's moving/attacking because he can't see worth squat. He could totally hack it as a surgeon. He'd be like the Todd in Scrubs (not the sexist/chauvinist thing; the "he's a dumb meathead but he's still probably among the best technical surgeons we see in the show" thing).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But isn't the whole reason he's even as good at using his quirk in the first place the fact that he had to be sharp in order to work out the kinks of his extremely troublesome quirk? Kinda like how Stands work in JoJo with stuff which sounds ridiculous at first is completely loving broken because :stare: "Oh, poo poo no loving wonder: Araki is a mad-mangaka that likes to think just a lil' bit on this messed-up details".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, but I cannot help of thinking ways that Mirio, even with the drawbacks of his quirk, could totally hack it into having his quirk a functional thing of a surgical process too. And it's also fun to "brainstorm" (read: nerd-out) about fictional characters and the stuff they could do/get away with in-universe. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So it's like that one Marvel Comics thing, except you don't feel as stupid while reading it/processing it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

I loved this part. I also loved how they played really loving ominous music even though it's our hero beating the pulp out of the villain and making our hero look a bit freaky in doing so

(sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/aqoQykC.mp4
That was beautiful. Like a "green/blue eyes of determination" moment in Ippo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't we done with phrasing? I thought we were done. :raise:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gentle is a dipshit. He's still a fun character, though!

Also this sorta reminded me of a Tiger & Bunny episode involving the ninja kid. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

He's trying to help people, in his way. It's just that his way tends to... not help.
I was talking about the John & Dave literary trilogy the other day on these sub-forums and this seems more fitting than ever to mention:

John Cheese on "This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It" posted:

We didn't do any of it on purpose. We're just... not very good at things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that, as relatively "squeaky clean" a reputation as WSJ tries to keep, this is the same magazine that's currently publishing Kimetsu no Yaiba (which absolutely doesn't shy away from some wanton cruelty) and Chainsawman which is like if Carcass went back to playing grindcore nowadays or if In Flames ditched the buttrock and went back to playing Lunar Strain-caliber material. Hell, MHA ain't afraid of doing some :gibs:ing of its own.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

Blood 'n guts is different because parental abuse or suicide from social isolation are far, far more relatable to the average reader.
Oh, no doubt, but it's still a hosed up state of affairs regardless. Also, both KnY and CSM feature some pretty heavy parental abuse/social alienation as well because surprise surprise, fantasy/supernatural settings though they might be, both Taisho-Era Japan (about 100 or so years ago) and the not-so distant future also have a ton of shittiness that the characters have to waddle through.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We don't deserve Mirio. :cry:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

We're four seasons in, stop showing names/quirks of the regulars.
Maybe it's like a tribute to LoGH?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

They haven’t announced a start date for season 5 yet have they?
This was the one season that took a little longer, didn't it? IIRC, Seasons 1 through 3 all aired within a year of the first episode of the previous season.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I especially liked the fact that Yuuichi Nakamura seems like such a no-brainer of a casting choice that he's like a natural fit for voicing Hawks. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonne posted:

I'm telling you, my "Into the Deku-Verse" movie idea would make millions!
LeMillions, even? :v:

But we'd need as kick-rear end a crew as we got for the Japanese dub of that. Otherwise, no dice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

It'll be the Superman Red/Blue situation, except we get Chemical Fire Endeavor and Electrical Fire Endeavor.
And hopefully nowhere near as garbage! :v:

(Seriously, those Two Superman comics were terrible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

That's impressive and I wonder how many VA's would just like to build a studio and do that poo poo from home whenever possible.

Sadly, I was hoping it would sound like a FMV from 94. Just for old times sake.
A ton of VA's have a full-setup for recording ready as is, both in America and Japan. While quality equipment can be dearly expensive sometimes, you can get a decent-sounding setup for like relatively cheap nowadays. I've helped a couple of VA's in Tokyo so that they could setup their own makeshift studio at home for practice/rehearsal, especially because studio time fees for recording/rehearsal places in Japan is ludicrous as-is.

https://twitter.com/ericalindbeck/status/1130564613076951040?s=20

Erica Lindbeck (Futaba in Persona 5, Menat in Street Fighter V and, as pointed out above, Celica in Fire Emblem stuff since 2017) is good friends (and close neighbors, if I'm not mistaken?) with Kyle McCarley (the aforementioned Alm in Fire Emblem stuff since 2017, Mikazuki in Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, Mob in Mob Psycho 100) and Katelyn Gault (Elle in Dragon Pilot, Morgan LeFay in Fate), so she has shown at least twice that he at least has some recording equipment for voice-over at the ready.

vvvv vvvv e: Yeah, sound-proof materials are also probably the cheapest to come by. vvvv vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 11, 2020